Guest viewing is limited

TKR Midwest Girl's New Knee Journey - A Year Later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's good that you're going to start back with half days. You will probably want to ice and elevate when you get home.
 
Kind of a sad Sunday. Found out that a friend has stage 4 cancer that is terminal. But I believe in miracles and so does she, so we are praying for the miraculous.
 
It sure does. I have a friend with cancer too--she's hoping to beat the odds and get 5 years. :(
 
We just lost father in law to lymphoma. He was 79 when diagnosed and got 2 extra years. :)
 
My friend had been given 2 yrs. it's metastatic breast cancer that has gone to her bones. Mainly the spine. Some of the tumors have calcified in her spine so that's good. She has one hot spot at the base of her skull but refuses to do a brain MRI right now just because she's not ready to process that if there are tumors in her brain. But none of her major organs are affected so that's a good thing!
 
Every year 2friends and myself go out to dinner to celebrate our birthdays which are all within a week of each other. So tonight we go to Red Lobster for dinner and then to Perkins for dessert. I asked for a booth so that I could put my leg up on the seat if I had to - which I did. And we sat at each one place two hours and the other one hour. Oh my word - when we were ready to leave and I stood up - or attempted to - my knee was so stiff. It was crazy! Looking forward to the day when sitting with my legs down won't bother me.
 
Dd you come to my neck of the woods? It will happen, 2 forward, 1 back means you are still making progress!


4/1/2014 TKR
 
Yes @Tamsmom I was in your city! It as a fun night but I'm paying for it tonight. Laying here in bed in pain! And the thing is it's never just my knee. My lower leg always aches at bedtime. It's weird. I think part of the problem was that I forgot to take Tylenol before I left for GI. Tomorrow I'm suppose to be going to York to meet a friend from Crete for lunch. I was looking forward to it but now I know what it's like. So an hour drive, probably a long lunch and then an hour drive back. I'll take the Tylenol but will have to forego the tramadol since I will be driving. I have lunch dates every day this week. Friends found out I was going back to work next week so now are trying to make lunch dates before I go back. They all waited to the last week!!! It's nice to be loved, so I'm not complaining. Maybe by the time I go back on Monday I'll be better prepared. Time to go get some ice packs.
 
Yep, take that Tylenol and maybe a little walk around the area while you are lunching. I hope you enjoy the pampering!


4/1/2014 TKR
 
Ha! @Tamsmom no pampering there! It's all Dutch treat lunches! @msmechanic58 sometimes when I take tramadol it makes me sleepy. That would be the only reason I wouldn't take it. I took one at 6:00 this morning and will probably take another after I get back home.
 
I do remember that being a side effect. I can't even tell I have taken anything with it. I hope you are able to manage well. BTW- a neighbor who had one knee done says she still gets stiff after being in one position for awhile. She is 4 years post surgery.
 
This morning (8:30 am - earliest I've been out & about since my surgery day) I had a massage before I went to PT at 11:15. My massage therapist wanted me to check with my physical therapist to make sure it was ok to do both in a morning. PT said it should be ok, I was to just drink extra water in between sessions. I don't know what the deal was but that massage left me feeling like my knee was swollen and my knee and calf achy. At PT when they measured my flexion it was 122!!! Are you kidding? I've been at 130 degrees for a couple of weeks, 131 degrees on this past Monday. I said nope, 122 isn't good enough. So I did more flexion/extension stretching exercises. Measured again and I got it to 128 degrees on my own. Tonight my knee is still a little swollen and hot. So for some reason my knee didn't like the massage. Strange.
 
Tomorrow I head back to work at week 10 post op. I'm having mixed feelings. I liked having the days where I could go at my own pace. I liked taking time to just rest and heal. I'm dreading going back to a hectic life that has stress. There is so much work waiting for me at work. Ugh! Today at church I noticed my standing stamina had improved. But still not there - definitely not by work standards. My knee has full range of motion and I'm thrilled with that. Today has been a lot of nerve pain. Those nerves that were severed are now regenerating which feels like with a vengeance. My knee even feels hot today. I'm still not in a regular sleep pattern and last night was a horrible night if sleep. I have to be up and out the door by 7:30 for the half hour drive to work. At least this week I'm only working half days - 8:00-12:00. I'm sure I'll be spending my afternoons & evenings icing & elevating, just to repeat it all the next day. I'm not looking forward to going back but I'm sure it will be good to get back into a routine and I'm hoping the added activity will help me with sleeping at night.

On a fun note, today was my birthday and National Ice Cream Day! Of course I had to celebrate that and headed to Dairy Queen for ice cream!
 
Happy Birthday and Back to work day! I hope it goes well for you!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom