TKR Mickimouse’s Recovery Thread - Need Support

I will be a total of 3 months next week and knee is still stiff and bothersome…. Does that seem unusual for 3 months?
Stiffness/Tightness is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed. You're tight because your tissue has been disturbed and is healing...and full healing takes a full year or more.
 
Stiffness is common at this point in recovery, Mickimouse, so you're not alone. Guessing you notice it more after sitting for long periods? Scar tissue is forming and that can cause stiffness as well as overactivity. Swelling and inflammation can last a full year normally easing over time and that causes stiffness. Patience, dear one, lots of patience is in order.

Woohoo on the driving! It is a wonderful feeling to know you're able, if you need to. That's a great milestone as is more activity around the home. All signs that you're bouncing back. It may not be as quickly as you hoped, but you are making progress so try to keep that as your focus.
Happy Friday...have a great weekend!
@Mickimouse
 
Does that seem unusual for 3 months?
Not at all, you may feel some stiffness off and on for over a year. It takes a long time to heal from this surgery.
On a positive note, I drove by myself yesterday! I know that may sound silly but I was a bit concerned to drive without hubby with me but did it!
Freedom! And it is not silly at all. It's something about that major milestone that makes everybody smile and rejoice when they get there. Before I drove alone, I took a friend with me to practice in an empty parking lot to be sure that I could do a panic stop. Once I did that, I knew I'd be OK driving all by myself! I can do it myself!!
 
Really having a hard time today…. My knee I got done in 2022 is bothering me up into the spot in my butt (think a piriformis muscle) I don’t know if I slept wrong on Saturday night or what…. So now both knees giving me prisms today it will be 12 weeks… I really hate this recovery, not feeling like I am progressing…. Can’t stop crying….
 
I'm sorry that you are feeling this way, @Mickimouse. Post-op blues can continue for months into this recovery. Try to focus on the milestones you've achieved over the past 12 weeks instead of what you can't yet do and it might help you feel a bit better.

Also, remember that you are less than 1/4 of the way through this year-long recovery. Pain and stiffness up and down the leg are still very common at your stage in this journey. I had episodes of pain and stiffness until at least 6-7 months post-op, but it did eventually go away.

Ice and elevation will still help -- and try not to overdo. It will get better, it just takes time.
 
Really having a hard time today…. My knee I got done in 2022 is bothering me up into the spot in my butt (think a piriformis muscle) I don’t know if I slept wrong on Saturday night or what…. So now both knees giving me prisms today it will be 12 weeks… I really hate this recovery, not feeling like I am progressing…. Can’t stop crying….
@Mikimouse - I had my right knee done a few years ago and now onto my left. It is a very tough recovery. I get tired of people who say they had it so easy. Everyone's recovery is so different! My surgical pain killers wore off last night after 3 days. It was a wonderful run having almost no pain post surgery, but here I am now, elevating and icing all day, back to taking my oxycodone. It stinks, but in the end it will be so worth it!! We got this!!
 
Mickimouse I'm so sorry your having a rough day. I wonder if you didn't really overdo it and just didn't realize it? Sometimes that happens. Did you sit longer, or stand longer, do something different that you've not been doing? Maybe how you got into or out of the car? It will pass, as you know. I know how devastating you feel about it right now though. Take a couple of deep breaths and realize you'll get through this. The positive is that you've driven. That's progress.

You've got this, right now your knee(s) are telling you that you're doing too much. Listen to them. Ice elevate and medicate if needed. We are here for you.
 
It is okay to feel down, Mickimouse. I am sorry you're going through a tough time. Joint replacement recovery isn't just physical, it can be emotional too. Please know that at only three months post op your knee is still very much in the healing phase. It is not unusual to feel frustrated or discouraged, especially if you're feeling your progress is slow. Try not to measure your knee by what it can't do right now, instead focus on what it's doing a little better than a month ago.

Many don't start to feel truly steady or strong until 6 months to a year after surgery, keep reminding yourself of that. You have quite a ways to go. Even your almost three year old knee may still have off days. Try not to expect perfection and realize healing has its many ups and downs. It take time and a lot of patience. Rest and chill with your old friend Ice :ice:today and feel better soon!
@Mickimouse
 
Thank you all for your support! I did go out to dinner then played some cards Saturday… it just doesn’t seem like that is a lot but I guess it is…. Ugh, weather is getting nicer, lot of events are starting up…. I going to have to pick and choose what I do….. again thank you everyone!
 
That is actually a lot of activity when you’re early in your recovery. Had you just done either dinner or the cards you probably would have been better off. Remember too that there is all the “getting ready” time and the car trips there and back. Sometimes just extended periods of sitting can be irritating to a new knee because of gravity. If you’re going to be sitting a while, be sure to get up and walk around at least every hour.
 
I am getting worse…. My PT thinks it is all nervous system related, meanwhile again my ROM is at 105, and my extension was -5 but after doing some intense stretching got down to -1. I feel I am not seeing any improvements and can’t find that sweet spot with activities so therefore in pain. I don’t want to go back on the Oxy, I just started driving again, but having pain…. I thought this time was going to be better than the first TKR, because the first few weeks after surgery for this one, my ROM was at 115, and extension at -1….has anyone experienced going backward like this? I am sooo sad…
 
It is normal for your ROM to fluctuate. As your knee swells, the ROM will get worse. Even if you don't see swelling outside, you will have it inside your knee. There is not much space in your knee capsule, and even just a little bit of fluid can affect your knee's movements. This healing is like riding a rollercoaster, up and down.

[Bonesmart.org] Mickimouse’s Recovery Thread - Need Support
 
Is your knee stiff all the time or just after activity/ as the day goes on? Stiffness/ tightness is pretty normal at three months. The knee joint is very small and even small amounts of inflammation make it feel tight/ stiff/ sore. So long as you are seeing some improvement in the morning or after rest/ elevation then I wouldn't worry.
 
I left the hospital after having a total knee replacement on my left knee . I could bend it 90 degree really easy. If I help it my other leg i could get to 110 degree. 2 days later it swell up . Then I was at 78 degree. At 6 weeks I rode in the car for a couple of hours . To see my doctor. I was stiff from riding in car. Was bending it to 104 degree.
 
My PT thinks it is all nervous system related,
Have you tried stepping away from PT for a time? Like a week, or several weeks, to see how you do on your own? Then just go through the motions of daily living to see how your body responds. Or are you fearful to try that?
It may be worth a try to see if you begin to feel better. I am sorry you continue to struggle. I hope you find the perfect balance between rest and activity soon.
 
Thank you all for responding….. guess I am in a struggle with myself…..I will have to figure out how much is too much, as I guess I am doing too much…yes I am a bit worried if I cut back on the PT things will go worse but I am seeing what I am doing now isn’t the best for my knee either….so upset that I seemed to go backwards and can’t see any progress ☹️
 
Hi Mickimouse,
A little soreness after PT or activity can be expected at this point. However sharp pain, or increased swelling likely means you're doing too much. If your symptoms increase the next day, or hang on for more than a day, it's a sign to scale back.

Look for progress from week to week and not daily. PT shouldn't put you in a state so that you're unable to handle basic daily tasks. If PT is keeping you from engaging in the activities of daily living, it's counterproductive and the PT is too much. Only you can control this and balance it all out. Listen to your body and view swelling as a red flag. If it goes up after activity and doesn't settle down, your knee is telling you it needs a break.

I am wondering how often you're attending PT and what you're doing in a typical session...if you don't mind sharing? Having this information may help us advise you better.

I hope your mood lightens as the day progresses. :console2:
@Mickimouse
 
Yesterday I was given a new exercise to hopefully help my extension and I just looked at my Fitbit info from yesterday I had 8000 steps….my daily workout is twice a day, 15 mins on emcumbent bike, walk 12 mins (again twice per day), 15 step ups on at step, 15 step downs on step, is only 6 inch of height, 10 heel slides with 5 sec hold, 15 leg lifts for quads, 15 3x heel raises, 10 squats holding on counter, sitting with leg on a chair for extension….plus yesterday I went to PT and then to a store and voted….now that I type this out, I can see that is a lot…..just worried I won’t get my ROM….plus I have not been elevating and icing continuously…..I guess I need to start back at square one….
 
I see why your body is protesting! That is an intense routine. Way too much activity and not enough recovery.
This has likely led to constant inflammation and joint irritation and the reason why you feel you're not making progress. Your body is still healing and pushing too much can cause setbacks, rather than progress.

I feel you really need to scale back or you'll be here two months from now, same story. You need to break this cycle of madness and take it easy, Mickimouse, <- that was some tough love. :wink:

You're doing a ton, honestly more than many can handle at this point in recovery. I think your poor body is asking for a breather. Please practice some TLC and back off all of this for the next week or two and engage only in the activities of daily living, with maybe a daily walk, some gentle stretches, activity that keeps you mobile without stressing or hurting your body. Please try to commit to giving it a try.
Wishing you comfort and hope you'll hit this button
1746636092303.webp
:thumb:
@Mickimouse
 
Oh my…..8000 steps at this stage of recovery is way too much. I hope you’ll give Layla’s suggestion a try and completely skip your official therapy sessions for at least a week. During that time do lots of resting, icing and elevating. But do NOT just sit all the time. Do one errand every other day if you like (not multiple stops). Be sure to get up and walk around for 5-10 minutes every hour. Take some turns on the recumbent bike (if you have a cycle at home) for no more than 15 minutes once a day. You can do gentle bends and stretches throughout the day - no more than 5-10 at a time.

Your knee is not going to “freeze” at this level of ROM. You do not need to rush to full recovery of ROM. But, if you continue at this level of activity knowing how your knee is reacting, you will keep your knee in a constant state of inflammation and delay your ultimate recovery. Please give this a try. You can always do something different if it’s not working after a week or two of HUGE reduction in your activity levels. Aim for no more than 2500 steps in a day….less than that if you’re not going out for an errand.
 
Back
Top Bottom