TKR Mickimouse’s Recovery Thread - Need Support

I am sorry your right leg is sore and numb. Wondering if you should contact your surgeon's office to speak with a member of his care team since you're coming up on three years post op. They will determine whether you should make an appointment with the OS. Thankfully your left knee is coming along. Ups and downs are still considered normal at less than four months post op. Wishing you comfort and relief from the pain you're struggling with, Mickimouse. If you touch base with your surgeon, let us know how it goes. :console2:
@Mickimouse
 
I agree with Layla. It’s likely that your other knee is complaining about having to carry the weight for your newest knee, but it is something to check out….especially since you feel it has not been “right” from the beginning.

Please try not to worry about your new knee. It’s still early in this healing process and it doesn’t sound like its recovery has the same issues as your older knee. In all likelihood it will be just fine. It may be that once it heals, you’ll need to get some additional opinions if your older knee continues to bother you in the way you describe.
 
Thank you BoneSmart friends, I will be reaching out to my OS tomorrow….my chiropractor said the same thing that my sciatica and right knee is probably a result of compensating for the new knee…I am just so depressed that I am dealing with both knees….both that got replaced so I wouldn’t have anymore pain. As for my 3 year old knee, I don’t understand why it is still tight, numb and burning at the site of the incision. I just can’t stop crying because it feels like there is no end in sight….i will keep you all informed. Thanks again for your support.
 
I am really sorry you're going through such a difficult time with both knees. I also agree with the thought that your Right knee may be compensating for the Left which isn't even four months post op yet, so still healing. Living with pain can take a toll on us both physically and emotionally.
I am just so depressed
I just can’t stop crying
It sounds like this has been overwhelming, but please know that you're not alone in this. Sometimes when things feel this heavy, crying often and feeling down, it might help to talk with someone one trained to help. There is no shame in that. A mental health professional will work with you to find some relief through learning ways to cope as you move through this period. You may appreciate that extra support for what you're carrying, but know that we are here for you also and we do care. :console2:
 
@Mickimouse I'm glad you are reaching out to your OS about your right knee. I hope it turns out to be nothing more than your body realigning, but please keep us posted.

I also want to second Layla's suggestion about reaching out to someone for help. Some years ago, I had a terrible struggle after a difficult surgery (not joint related) and found myself slipping into depression. Thankfully, one of my surgeon's nurses put me in touch with a psychologist who helps people recovering from surgery. I was reluctant at first, but took her suggestion and ended up feeling much better after just a few sessions. It made a big difference in my ability to recover and get back to life.

Sending big hugs :console2:
 
Hello all! Well it seems my IT band is very tight and hips out of whack….my chiropractor is giving me adjustments and I was given some stretches to do…. As for the tightness and numbness I still have after 3 years, it seems like I will have to live with that ☹️…. praying my new left knee does better!
 
You may have continued numbness, but there is a possibility that once your latest knee has a good 9-12 months of recovery, your gait will improve and your other knee will be less uncomfortable. You might have to continue with some therapy and/or exercises to make this happen. And it could be very gradual in coming. The chiropractic adjustments should help with your alignment and that can benefit your older knee. So hang in there and don’t give up just yet.
 
Hi Mickimouse,
Wondering how you're doing as you recently passed the four months post op with your left knee.
Hopefully you connected with your OS, or a member of his care team for some advice, and the chiropractic adjustments and stretches you're doing are providing some relief. Please let us know when you have a minute.
Happy weekend!
@Mickimouse
 
Hi Layla! I was just going to check in and ask about knee going on 5 months being still stiff? Does that seem par for the course? Other than that, I feel recovery is coming along… steps are still a problem and I am still hovering around 113 to 117 ROM and -1 for straightening…I am getting more confident. I have been able to walk longer without pain but I sure know when I over do it! Thank you for checking in! I will keep in touch!
 
going to check in and ask about knee going on 5 months being still stiff?
What exactly do you mean by stiff?
Is it stiff to start moving but then loosens up or are all movements stiff?
Or do you mean the feeling of " tightness" that most of us get?
My knee still felt tight at 5 months. The sensation would disappear adter elevation and rest but gradually reappear as the day went on. It gradually disappeared over many months. I think it was due to slight swelling.
 
Hi Mickimouse,
Thanks for responding with an update. You sound very optimistic, your post is encouraging to read. I agree with EalingGran with the stiffness...it will likely ease over time. It is a delicate balance between doing enough to remain comfortably mobile without overdoing it. Then...an aging body can come into play as one of our Hip members, Eman85, often reminds people. :wink: So taking that into consideration along with meting out activity should gradually bring the desired result. You're only 4.5 months into recovery, so give yourself some grace. You're doing well! I hope you have a lovely weekend! :SUNsmile:
@Mickimouse
 
Thanks everyone who responded! Going to a wedding today, gonna have to control myself and yes it’s stiff still….have a good weekend everyone!!! Here in northeast Ohio we will be in a heat wave!
 
Don't be getting too crazy now! :happyfeet:
Heat wave here also. Actually an extreme heat warning in my neck of the woods in the Upper Midwest, today and tomorrow. Temps in mid 90's with high humidity. YUK! The worst.

Stay cool in the heat and behave yourself at the wedding! :wink:
@Mickimouse
 
Very good to hear. A success!!! I know you enjoyed being able to attend and do something “normal” again. It will continue to improve with more time. But you’re doing well.
 
Hi Everyone! Well I am somewhat worried, my knee is still sore and bending past 112 extension still -1 still hurts. It will be 6 mos on Sunday and I can’t remember where I was at with my 1st knee….. I don’t know if I should be forcing the bend? My PT, who I only see now once a month said it will come. He said not to push it…. Any advice!? Thanks!
 
I don’t know if I should be forcing the bend?
It is never a good idea to force the bend. I had a tough first year. After 2 setbacks, one at 4 months and one a month later, my ROM became very poor for most of the rest of that first year. But, I had a lot of ROM improvement in my second year, as my whole leg continued to relax and heal. Remember, 6 months is still not fully healed, and every knee is different, even on the same person, even if done bilaterally the same day.
 
Your therapist is right. I know you are ready to be healed and get back to life completely, but sometimes those last few steps in recovery are the ones that seem to be the most difficult to accomplish. You can still do some bending exercises that may help. A stair lunge in a good one to challenge your knee without pushing past any pain.

Place your operated leg on a stair and then slowly lean forward toward the staircase. Bend just to the point of discomfort, but not real pain and hold for a count of 10. Repeat 5-10 times. You can do this 2-3 times a day as long as you aren’t seeing any additional pain or swelling because of the exercise.

Usually your normal daily activities will do the trick, though, so try and be patient for the remainder of the year. Try to keep in mind that your surgeon didn’t see anything wrong with your progress and that’s a good thing. “Normal” recovery has a VERY wide range and you are certainly within what we’ve seen with our members who do recover fully just fine given some time. Let us know how things go. We’re here for you.
 
Last edited:
My PT, who I only see now once a month said it will come. He said not to push it…
He's right. It WILL come with time.

Something that helped me when I hit my plateau was massage to help relax the other muscles in my leg, which can contribute to the tight feeling in the knee. My physical therapist suggested getting a mini massage gun and showed me how and where to use it for the most benefit. You might ask your PT about it.

I know 6 months seems like a long time, but as Jockette and Jamie said, you're only half-way through this year long recovery.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom