THR Metal & Cement

Enjoy, Harry! I'm sure many others are like me and appreciate your kind and encouraging words on this site. You definitely deserve to enjoy the wonderful benefits from this surgery. Looked like a nice peaceful and beautiful area for your bike ride!
 
Hi Harry,

So, I have a friend, 65, who just had his first THR. Anterior approach. Great recovery, overdid it a bit, but at seven weeks is doing very well.

Except ... except ...he continues to ride, long and fast. He has fallen many times before, and been in at least one car related impact which required bolts and brackets on his pelvis (he got lucky as they were just able to fit the acetabular cup next to the bolts).

He sees nothing wrong with his riding ... I point out that a repair related to a fall will be far less satisfactory as he ages. He doesn’t care and says he’s going to ride.

Another friend, 64, just had TKR ... and plans to ride with a group in the hills of France. Next year he is planning a third world country bike tour. He, too, has a different perspective than I.

Think about the future, Young Man!
 
Thanks for your input and concern.

I am thinking about the future. This Sunday is the Fast One mountain bike race, and I want to do the 40 km distance. In October is the Amashova 100km road race from Pietermartzburg to Durban. And in March is the iconic 109km Cape Town cycle tour, which is the biggest timed cycle race in the world (38 000) cyclists. (I have done it 8 times).

Flippant response aside, I do think you have a good point, and I am actually very worried about a fall. So I have remediated my cycling in the following respects:

1. During the week all of my cycling is limited to my indoor trainer. The same goes for wet or really cold weather.

2. When mountain biking I only do very easy trails, nothing technical, and I walk over anything I deem too risky.

3. When on the road, I now *always* have a follow vehicle behind my friends and I. we keep our bunch small, and go out very early to avoid traffic. I do what I can to stay safe.

So yes. I am scared of a fall, but am just not prepared to give up cycling. Its a huge part of my life. It gives me joy and its where I bond and engage with my friends. The social aspect is as important as the riding itself.

I had the op to return to normalcy. For me that is not sitting on the couch. My surgeon advised against running or playing squash, and I have heeded that. But I understand your friends attitude. To cycle is to live!
 
Hey I appreciate your journey. Cycling is a lifeblood and possibly the best exercise for hip replacement IMO. Crashing of course is another issue, and a bike crashed caused me to tear my labrum and end up having THR probably 2 years early (OA). Im 5 weeks post op and have started riding gravel trails outdoors this past week. I switched to flat pedals after reading about other MTB's with THR using for better exist on crashes. Plus flats are the rage this year! I will be investing in hip padded bike shorts to spread impact when I go back to the singletrack. Keep on riding bro.
 
Hey I appreciate your journey. Cycling is a lifeblood and possibly the best exercise for hip replacement IMO. Crashing of course is another issue, and a bike crashed caused me to tear my labrum and end up having THR probably 2 years early (OA). Im 5 weeks post op and have started riding gravel trails outdoors this past week. I switched to flat pedals after reading about other MTB's with THR using for better exist on crashes. Plus flats are the rage this year! I will be investing in hip padded bike shorts to spread impact when I go back to the singletrack. Keep on riding bro.

Wishing you best of luck with your recovery, keep the rubber side down and you will be fine.

I was thinking about flats for the mountain bike, but they are just not for me.

I am a very slow rider, and not accomplished- i just do it for fun and to try keep fit, but I suck. Everyone else is faster than me. But I couldn’t care.

I have only come off the bike twice, but both events put me in the hospital. once in 2007, when i broke my collar bone, and once in 2012, when I T boned a little car that turned in front of my bunch. Got 6 hip fractures, but they were not displaced, so I recovered quickly without any surgery.Still, I kinda wonder how much if at all it affected my OA, as I became symptomatic about 3 years later.

I have only replaced one hip so far,and the other is ok for now, but I am not relishing the prospect of having to go through the ordeal of surgery again. Who would?? It was all so traumatic looking back on it. The worst was the bottle that they attach to you, and the red yuck that is on the inside of you drains into it, and you realize that you are the sum total of the protoplasm now in that bottle, except of for the new titanium piece that goes ping every time you wanna get on a plane.

Anyway, as far as disjointed posts go, this one takes the cake I guess.

Anyway, Why don’t you tell me all about your bikes and the cycling routes and trails that you do.
 
@Harryn1 I ride mostly crushed gravel on rolling hills in Northern IL with a weekly MTB ride at South Palos singletrack. I've been all over the USA riding trails in the past. I use STRAVA for the community and tracking. Its helped me find riding partners in my area around the same skill as me. I currently ride a 2014 Giant Anthem X 29er with 2.35 tires that I think is my favorite bike of all times. I also have a 2018 carbon BXT 29er hardtail that ive set up with cross tires for ripping the gravel. On the shelf for now is my Trek Superfly until Im ready for the singletrack. My usual rides are 15-30 miles depending on day. How are your rides going. I see you have a Tallboy? An excellent weapon!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Metal & Cement
@Harryn1 I ride mostly crushed gravel on rolling hills in Northern IL with a weekly MTB ride at South Palos singletrack. I've been all over the USA riding trails in the past. I use STRAVA for the community and tracking. Its helped me find riding partners in my area around the same skill as me. I currently ride a 2014 Giant Anthem X 29er with 2.35 tires that I think is my favorite bike of all times. I also have a 2018 carbon BXT 29er hardtail that ive set up with cross tires for ripping the gravel. On the shelf for now is my Trek Superfly until Im ready for the singletrack. My usual rides are 15-30 miles depending on day. How are your rides going. I see you have a Tallboy? An excellent weapon!

@Corey W , thank you. My rides are going swimmingly well, and I am enjoying them st the moment. This morning I did a 60km road ride with my mates followed by awesome coffee as usual. Its been my first road ride in a while and was good to be back.

It being winter, I am spending quite a lot of time on my Wahoo Kikr on Zwift, and I love it. Doing about 3 or 4 rides afterwork of between 1to 1.5 hours. I crank up the music, and its a symphony on wheels.

My bikes:

Basso Astra road bike, with Campagnolo super record. Love of my life;

Trek Tct road bike - I rarely take this one out, but its permantly mounted on my trainer so it still gets a lot of love. I fully restored it after my 2007 crash, and am emotionally involved with this bike.

Specialized dual suspension camber expert 29er MTB. Beauty personified, I enjoy every minute.

Trek 3700 entry level 26er. It hangs in my garage, but I plan to get a tubeless setup for t and to put it back into service as a commuter.

Fuji Forza, hybrid bike, which I did my first 947 cycle challenge on (google it). But soon I realized that I was miss sold this bike as it is just uncomfortable. It has 172.5 mm cranks, and i am tall, so I need 175mm. The MTB bar is not wide enough for me. I could rectify all this-and make it a gravel bike. And maybe I will


I wanted an ebike during my recovery, but I am over that. It would have been that or a divorce so I chose marital bliss!
 
Just added these donelly LAS tires to my hardtail carbon 29er...bars are 760 mm wide and risers. Gravel ripper!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Metal & Cement
    IMG_5389.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 247
Hi Guys

Yesterday, I tried to log on to do this post on the 2nd anni of my RTHR. But, the server was down for maintenance, reminiscent of own state 2 years ago when I was also similarly down for the installation of replacements parts. It was an appropriate non encounter with the forum.

anyway, my 2 year report is comfortingly boring. I am well, happy and pain free and feel truly healed. Fortuitously, even my left hip has become totally asymptomatic, and has not given me a twinge of pain for many months.

Have I reached the stage where I am unaware of my prosthetic hip? No. There are still things i cannot and do not do. Like squats & lunges. i am always mindful and careful not to fall. But i can walk and cycle for ages. And I do.

I spent the lockdown riding indoors almost daily, and am now venturing out (duly masked) on beautiful lone outdoor rides.

These are scary, surreal and dystopian times, and I feel for everyone who has had to postpone their procedures, or risk infection seeking care pre or post op.

may you all stay well and out of the path of the dreaded virus!
 
Great to hear you're doing so well @Harryn1 . It made me realize I forgot to celebrate the 3rd anni of my first in April! Other things on my mind at the time!

I've never been much of a cyclist but can imagine that getting outside in the fresh air and seeing the scenery is much better than even the programs you can get. I know I prefer a walk in the park to one on the treadmill (if I even had access to one at this point).

Keep that other hip healthy and keep on enjoying life!
 
Happy Two Year Anniversary! Thanks for updating and letting us know how well you’re doing. I’m happy for you!

These are scary, surreal and dystopian times,
Most will agree.
Keep safe out there and stay well. It was really nice to hear from you! :)
 
Hi Guys. After a hiatus of a few years, I thought I would pop in and say hi, and see what’s new on the recovery recommendations.

On 21 November I had my left hip replaced, and now have just over 6 weeks of recovery time behind me, most of which i have spent alternating betwen my bed and the couch, just chilling. I have used the long December break everyone takes in SA to free my mind from work, and to vegetate and enjoy just being lazy.

My surgeon has done 1000 hip replacements since he did my right hip in 2018, and this time he used a dual sleeve prosthesis, which is wonderful. I believe both of these factors have helped me a lot. I feel grateful and privileged to have had access amazing doctors, nurses and hospital care.

I am now at the stage where I am like the 300 hour private pilot, whose confidence exceeds his skills, and he is the most dangerous pilot in the sky. This is where I kinda messed up last time, doing too much too quick, and I am trying not to repeat those mistakes. But, not being able to swim, cycle and go for walks has been hard. My physiotherapist still won’t allow these activities, though he has allowed me to cycle indoors for 15 minutes per day at a max of 150 watts; in fact its part of the therapy regime. My problem is that once I get back on the bike, stupid kicks in, and I wanna push beyond the time and power restrictions- so I have just stayed off. I am doing short walks instead, mosty just in my driveway.

I have had 2 minor wobbles, both involving the pool weir, trying to adjust the hose of the kreepy pool cleaner. The problem was in getting up from the kneeling position, which engaged and irritated the hip flexor, which is obviously still hugely inflamed. I have recovered from both episodes. Kinda.

The hardest thing by far with this recovery has been not being able to pick up and play with my 15 month old Grandson, who can’t figure out why all of a sudden We cant play and walk around in my arms all afternoon like we used to. I think that now that I am off the crutches we can slowly ease back into our pre op regime.

Anyway. Wishing everyone all the best for their recovery from surgery.
May you know no pain.
 
Good AM Harry & you are now a double hippie! Woo hoo!
I guess age & experience will help you along during recovery & seeing they say no two recoveries are alike I'm guessing some new stuff will pop up now & then.
You got this!
 
Hi Harry! Congrats on your newest hip. Thanks for stopping by to share an update.
It sounds like you're doing really well.
The hardest thing by far with this recovery has been not being able to pick up and play with my 15 month old Grandson, who can’t figure out why all of a sudden We cant play and walk around in my arms all afternoon like we used to. I think that now that I am off the crutches we can slowly ease back into our pre op regime.
Until then hopefully you can enjoy some snuggles and story books together.
Best wishes for a fantastic 2025!
 
This is where I kinda messed up last time, doing too much too quick, and I am trying not to repeat those mistakes. But, not being able to swim, cycle and go for walks has been hard. My physiotherapist still won’t allow these activities, though he has allowed me to cycle indoors for 15 minutes per day

It is so hard to hold back when we start to feel better and want to go “full out” with our favorite activities. Good for you for recognizing this.

At 6 weeks , you are still early days— but you will soon be back to on the road and in the pool.

Thanks for the update!
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary, Harryn!
I hope you're doing well and the new year brings you many blessings. :)
Take good care!
@Harryn1
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary, Harryn!
I hope you're doing well and the new year brings you many blessings. :)
Take good care!
@Harryn1
Wow, thank you so much, Layla. Blessings to you, and all things good for you as well, both for 25 and beyond.

I can’t believe 2 months has passed already!

I saw my surgeon for a follow up last week, and thank G-d, he is happy with my X ray and my recovery progress. He says I can resume normal activities now, though does not want me road cycling or mountain biking until the end of Feb. Whilst the femoral implant is cemented in, the acetabular implant is still not fully grafted to the bone. If I have a fall, It will spell trouble.

He is happy for me to cycle indoors, which I have actually been doing twice a week, but slowly and gingerly. Soon, I will start to slowly increase time, cadence and power, if my hip flexor allows. (Its still a major point of weakness).

Yesterday I jumped into the pool for a cool down, and it was amazing. I have totally stayed away from the gym, as its a petri dish.but i will need the gym pool to swim laps. I think its the best non impact form of exercise.

The difference in this recovery (so far) and my 2018 RTHR has been marked. It seems to have been much easier, which is contrary to what I expected given that I am almost 6 years older. I ascribe the different experience to the following factors:

1. This time I just chilled, and was not worried about losing my fitness. I obviously have lost it all, but I dont seem to really care. I know it will come back when I am healed;
2. This time I had the op in summertime. Last time was in a very cold winter. Its just made for a much more pleasant recovery.
3. Having the luxury of not having to worry about work in December was amazing. The stress of work takes it out you when recovering from a major surgery.
4. This time, aside from attending physiotherapy sessions weekly, I did virtually no PT at home. I just did day to day walking, doddering around the house, and walked up and down my driveway when I felt like it. The physiotherapist actually prescribed a much lighter regime this time around, but I mostly ignored it anyway. This seems to me to be justification for the bonesmart recovery ethos. Which kinda blows me away, because most surgeons and PT’s seem to still be obsessed with these exercises.
5. Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, the skill and experience of my surgeon is obviously the major factor. I have huge respect for these medical professionals. He has given me my life back. Twice.


Thanks everyone for reading, and for your support. May we all heal seamlessly and totally.

Ps. Layla, I took your advice on the snuggles and story books.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom