THR Metal & Cement

so sorry that pesky lefty is bringing his knife. Ugh! Take a little rest. Hard as it is. You now know how life changing THR is when the time comes. I went to the OS as soon as I started having trouble with my Socks this time! Hopefully a few days of rest will bring lefty back into submission.
 
Heard this story many times on the forum..hopefully it will ease and give you some time to mull over...
Hate it for you...as OA pain is like no other in my opinion.

Wishing you A BETTER DAY!
 
Thanks @Jaycey for your post. In point of fact, I have started a new exercise program with a biokineticist (aka torturer) ho is working on strength now. and the pain did indeed start with the adoption of the new regime. The good news, is that I think the pain is receding as my body is adapting to the new workouts, which are designed to strengthen my core and glutes, and (ironically) put off the LTHR for as long as possible. Anyway, I am seeing my surgeon for my six month follow up, when we can then assess the timing of replacing the offending left side.

@SaraK I love your Wikipedia quote, so apt. thank you for your support.
@Mojo333 Thanks to you too, for always being there for all of us as bastion of support and inspiration.
 
so sorry that pesky lefty is bringing his knife. Ugh! Take a little rest. Hard as it is. You now know how life changing THR is when the time comes. I went to the OS as soon as I started having trouble with my Socks this time! Hopefully a few days of rest will bring lefty back into submission.
Thank you @Toddlermom - I appreciate your support. I hope to report that it was just a case of hypochondria in a few days!
 
Don't forget to ice it up after you work it out.
Even at for months out...Ice was still my friend.:ice:
Hope all eases soon...
We all see things from our own experience which shapes our prospective..but Only in hindsight am truly glad I had both done.
Definitely Difficult...but can't imagine "looking forward" to another one with recovery.
However it works out for folks...Best part...is how much better life is with good hips!:yahoo:
 
Dear @Josephine

I was wondering if you could take a look at the imagery below, taken 2 days ago at my 6 month follow up.

I would like your input on the spot just below the stem, which unnerved me some. My surgeon says its just an air bubble in the cement, and assures me that its nothing to worry about. But, I would be grateful for your take on it, and anything else of note in the imagery which you may care to comment on. I guess the hypochondriac in me just wants assurance that all looks good, but I know you will speak truth, scary or not.

I am also uploading an X ray of my as yet unoperated left hip, which has been behaving itself. I would appreciate your advice as to just how bad the OA in that hip is, and what you recommend surgically for the future, looking into your learned chrystal ball. Succinctly put, do I have an LTHR to look forward to?

Thanks so much.

[Bonesmart.org] Metal & Cement
[Bonesmart.org] Metal & Cement
[Bonesmart.org] Metal & Cement
[Bonesmart.org] Metal & Cement
 
I would like your input on the spot just below the stem, which unnerved me some. My surgeon says its just an air bubble in the cement
I can answer that without the xray! You stem has been cemented in place and the cement is injected into the femoral cavity with a gun like this, almost exactly the same as a caulking gun! This is to apply the cement with some force so it embeds into the bone. But in order to prevent the cement running freely down the femur to the knee (I have seen this happen many years ago!) a small plastic item called a cement restrictor is placed in the femoral canal to stop it doing that. But plastic does not show up on an xray and ALL such devices must have a means of being seen in an xray. So a small bead is embedded in the plastic restrictor and this is the bubble that you can see on the xray! I am amazed that your surgeon did not tell you this for he must know!

[Bonesmart.org] Metal & Cement
 
@Josephine, thank you. Indeed, my surgeon *did* tell me about the cement restrictor. And I do see it a few centimeters below the stem. I was asking about the bubble at the very tip of of the stem.
 
And I do see it a few centimeters below the stem.
More like about 3mm!
I was asking about the bubble at the very tip of of the stem.
I thought I'd explained that - it's either the xray marker in the restricter or the gap between it and the stem.

However, just to be sure and since you're obviously good with photo editing, perhaps you'd snip that little bit of the image and point to the bubble for me.
 
Hi Guys. Sorry i have been a bit absent from my thread and BS these past months. But, the narcissistic hypochondriac in me is back, so I guess I am too.

My 1 year anni of my LTHR was last week, and for a long time I was looking forward to reporting back how awesome everything is. And it really was. But, as it transpires, I have been writhing in agony. The story is long and boring, and not really even a story, so here are the bullet points.

1. After 6 months post op I healed and felt really great. Been feeling like woohoo, got my life back kinda thing.
2. On 22 April I had a little fall, but not on the hip and nothing serious. Or so I thought.I had some minor twinges, and my operated hip started clicking very softly as i put weight onto it. It went away. All was good.
3. A couple weeks later i put my back out bending down to pick up my laptop cable. Agony. the insane lower back pain, somehow also brought back the hip click, but its so soft i can only hear it at home in the passage. But I have no pain in the operated hip. But the lower back pain has been hectic.
4 . Last week I went to see my physio. He reckons my hip is good, but I injured my sacroiliac joint in the fall, which he treated.and i have spent the last 7 days on a crazy dose of arcoxia. 120 mg per day.
5. Yesterday, the back pain moved into my as yet unoperated (but still arthritic) hip, which until now has been relatively cool about life. Its been painful now and then, but the pain has [until yesterday] been quite transient, and when present, has been very bearable. Nowhere near bad enough for me to consider an LTHR although I have been told it definitely is in my future.
6 . But since yesterday, although the back is pain free, I have *mad* pain in the butt / hip when I stand or walk. But no pain when I lie down.
6. The pain is so very very different to the deep dull, sometimes throbbing pain, i felt pre op with my right hip. This pain feels muscular. Like more in my glute than inside my joint, and it shoots down my leg, and i feel it on the side of my shin just above (but not in) my ankle.
7. Not only am i sore and worried, but am just so confused. I don’t know if its that friendly old devil called arthritis or if its something else. Like Maybe trochanteric bursitis. Lord knows why I think this, but I do because the pain doesn’t seem bony, but is totally insane, shooting down the leg (but misses the knee). And the location of the pain seems to be at that bursitisy kinda spot on Josephines grid.

Crikey, these aren’t bullet points, I have written a flippin mini series.

Anyway, i have a scheduled app with my physio for Thursday, but I dunno if I can wait till then. I have done nothing this weekend but lie on the couch like a beached whale. Tomorrow is a holiday so I don’t have to go in to work, but I am worried about how I will handle Tuesday.

Please help. Anyone.
 
Welcome back @Harryn1 ! So sorry you are suffering. I am not a medical expert but what you are describing sounds like maybe sciatic pain. The sciatic nerve runs very close to the hip but down the leg and can radiate in so many places. If you are still working with a physio ask for stretches for sciatic pain. I found hamstring stretches really helped eased this. Start very gently as your hamstrings might be very tight. Toes toward the nose stretches.

Do let us know how you are doing!
 
There is nothing worse than having debilitating pain where you can't identify the source, and can't figure out the treatment. I've had a couple of bouts myself where I wasn't sure if I was having back/sciatic pain, or hip pain, or knee pain. Hopefully you can get things to settle down soon. If they don't perhaps a call or visit to your doctor would be helpful?
 
@Jaycey , thank you so much. Your diagnosis was spot on. I have been doing the sciatica stretches religiously and am starting to feel human again.

This June was almost as rough as last June in which I had my RTHR. I will be glad to see the back of the month tomorrow!

@Debru4 thank you for your reply, and sound advice. I did indeed see my surgeon, and had X rays.
 
@Harryn1 Welcome back. Not really a diagnosis from me - just a guess based on my own experience. Glad things are easing for you. One year out - but for some of us still some adjustments due to the impact post THR on other areas.

Keep doing those stretches - I still do them several times per day.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom