Guest viewing is limited

THR Metal & Cement

Glad Maya and Bonesmart were there for you.
So so happy you are beginning to see the benefits of your surgery and that you are doing well.
The good things in life are there for us...and smart careful recovery will get us back to them.
Hope today is a good day!:yahoo:
 
Today is my 3 month anni. I celebrated by doing a 21km road ride yesterday, and a 17km mountain bike ride today, VERY SLOWLY. But totally PAIN FREE , woohoo [emoji119], thank you Hashem, thank you to my great surgeon [emoji67]‍⚕️
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary. You did celebrate. Over 23 miles worth of riding. :bicycle1:
Glad you took it slow. Consider some preventative icing after all that activity.
Hope your week is a good one!
@Harryn1
 
You are my inspiration!!!!!! Thanks for sharing your recovery journey!! Sounds like you and I are a lot alike!
 
You are my inspiration!!!!!! Thanks for sharing your recovery journey!! Sounds like you and I are a lot alike!


@TripleF100 Thank you, Sir!

I just read your thread. Believe me, with 114 marathons, it is you who are MY inspiration. Wow, much respect!

I wish you a full, complete and painless recovery.

When you are recovered you will wanna hit the road again. Consider switching your running passion to cycling - it is so much more hip friendly!

Ps: Google Comrades Marathon. It is one of the most iconic marathons in the world.

PPS : Also Google Cape Town Cycletour. Its the biggest times cycle race in the world, and it is my hope to complete my 9th in March next year, depending of course on my recovery progression.
 
Glad to hear you are doing so well:egypdance:
Remember second biggest tip...
No falling!:wink:
 
@TripleF100
When you are recovered you will wanna hit the road again. Consider switching your running passion to cycling - it is so much more hip friendly!

Hahaha! My surgeon made me PROMISE I would quit running! Cycling is a great alternative but I have one issue . . . I'm afraid of cars!! I do plan to talk with my surgeon about walking some of the longer races rather than running them. Maybe he'll buy in to that!! We'll see.

The Comrades Marathon is definitely world famous and I wish that had been one of my races!! I have several friends that made the journey and beat the wall (if I'm remembering correctly Comrades is maybe a 50 mile race and they drop a wall when to time limit is up . . . and that last person to finish is like a freakin' HERO!!!!

Good luck to you! We're going to come out of this WAY better than we went in!!
 
I think you and I both over-did it! And paid the price . . . okay . . . I'm still paying the price but it IS getting better every day! So frustrating cause I KNOW that I could easily walk 1 1/2 miles right now but I'm forcing myself to only walk .5!! Ugh!!

About pets . . . I know some of the pain you feel when you lose a best friend. Just remember - there are other possible best friends out there!

The dog in my picture is Snow. My wife and I found Snow under a guys shed with seven puppies. So we took them in and got the pups a home. But Snow stayed. About a year ago a limb fell and hit Snow on her back, permanently damaging her spinal column is now paralyzed behind her front legs. I even have to help her pee four times a day. Right now with this hip operation I'm not able to care for her and neither is my wife so Snow is being boarded by a special person who has another paralyzed dog. I simply can't care for her right now and it's breaking my heart cause I know she can't understand what has happened. Hopefully in a week or two I can get her back home.
 
Awww, @TripleF100
Poor Snow. Dogs are very adaptable though. It wont be long before you get her back and she will soon have forgiven you :-)
 
@TripleF100 My wish for you is that you heal quickly and totally so that you look after your doggy. And do all the other stuff that entails a whole and fulfilling life.

You are right about the Comrades. The dude who comes in last is interviewed on tv, and gets hero status.

You’re actually right to be scared of cars. In 2007 I was knocked off my bike by a nice lady in a blue little car. Who fled the scene. I cracked my pubic remi in 6 places. It was after that incident that i first started to experience hip pain, and have now had 1 THR, with another in my future.

Anyway, I feel like a fraud. I have never run a marathon or anything hectic like that. I just enjoy riding my bike with my mates.
 
Fraud nothing buddy! We both just have to scale it back . . . something that is EXACTLY OPPOSITE of what we are use to doing! But like in any tough race, you keep your focus on your next 1/4 mile . . . not what you have left to do!! We can do this @Harryn1 . . .
 
PS: We do have 2 other cats, Moedi and Kia. We adopted them when my neighbour abandoned them and moved :no-fin:

But, they were possibly abused as kittens and are still very scared of humans. They still won't let us pick them up or pet or even touch them. But, I know they love us!

Anyway, here is another pic of Maya which really depicts her beauty.
[Bonesmart.org] Metal & Cement
 
What a beautiful girl, she looks very chilled out.
 
As I approach my 5 month anniversary’s of my RTHR, I have been basking in the pleasure of my increasing ROM in the operated joint, my diminishing pain levels when moving, coupled with an increasing ability to walk fast, limp free (even starting to approach a cadence I could a achieve 3 years ago prior to the arrival of the debilitating pain dragon).

But in just the last 24 hours, the familiar throb of arthritis has come out like an old friend with a sharpened axe to grind, in varying degrees of intensity, this time visting my hitherto pain free *left* hip. Who would have thought??

To be sure, Lefty’s X ray sucked almost as badly as his neighbor’s according to the radiologist’s report, but he never ever gave me any problems at all. Until yesterday that is, when he served notice in triplicate that he is the new boss in town.

I am hoping against hope that his visit is transitory, maybe he is just stopping at the truck stop for a burger, a tank of gas, maybe a quick squeeze, and then he will be off again to greener pastures. I just hope he has the good grace to go of his own accord, without having to be excised by power tools.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Harryn1 sorry leftie is complaining. Did you perhaps lift something heavy or (worse yet) lift and then twist? Any new activities that might have set this off. I do hope this eases but as you say - it's only a matter of time. Best to get it done early before this impacts your mobility. In my experience getting the second one done early was a much easier recovery.
 
Oh, @Harryn1 - so sorry to hear about Lefty. Per Wikipedia,
The Latin adjective sinister/sinistra/sinistrum originally meant "left" but took on meanings of "evil" or "unlucky" by the Classical Latin era, and this double meaning survives in European derivatives of Latin, and in the English word "sinister".​
So it stands to reason that Lefty is going to be a troublemaker from time to time. I hope it's fleeting and you get years and miles out of it before it has to go, but so many of us have had to face a second THR soon after the first (in my case, I did them in one insurance year and the second was my "BOGO"). Once we get more active again, we start to realize how much the other one had also been holding us back. That and we know what to expect and decide not to wait any longer than necessary.

I appreciate the encouragement you've given me (and others) over the last few months! Take a deep breath and remember that, whatever happens, you can do this - with humor and grace (sounds like good names for my next cats - then I might be able to claim to have them)!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
Back
Top Bottom