THR Me2 and Recovery

@Me2 Hi, Sheryl, I just happened to look at this site this morning and saw your post. You have really been through a lot in the last year and a half! I am happy that you seem to be progressing.

I have been really well. My new left hip never gives me any pain at all anymore. At about one year post-surgery, I suddenly had no more pain, after suffering with that horrible thigh pain for so long. It just went away overnight. I still don't know what the problem was.

My right hip and lower back are still giving me grief, but I can handle it. I had such a long recovery from my LTHR that I am very hesitant to go under the knife again. I'll just wait until I can't take it anymore. I am back at the gym 6 days a week, doing hard boot camp classes, as well as spin and yoga, so it isn't limiting me in that respect. I have my bad and good days. Life is good.

It is so nice to see a familiar face here. I don't come here too often anymore, but I will scan the threads every once in a while. I never see anyone I recognize, so I was happy to see your post today. :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @Me2 Sheryl!
Good to hear from you.
You are really on the leading edge of surgeries. I'm glad you are getting on well, and recovering from your back surgery.
I told someone the other day that my hip is about 90% compared to optimal.
I still have a soreness or tightness upon straightening up after I bend all the way down to the floor , but I am used to that now. I wish I knew what that was...... or if it is soft tissue and I could resolve it.
:chinstroke:
 
Hey there have had the same pain in thigh to left of my left knee. Wanted to check back in today after 20 mos! I'm walking a lot and overall doing well but then I get this terrific pain above and around the knee. I agree seems like soft tissue pain but it is alarming at first. I'm also suffering a bit with same knee. Small tear in Cartledge but overall not bad. They offered surgery and shot. Will venture there soon! Thanks all glad you are doing well!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@MajorHeidi So good to hear from you . . . I was just thinking the other day that my left hip for all the crazies it still gives me psychologically - it is physically perfection! With my right hip at about 90%, I joke to myself, but am half serious, that I would get a redo on it to have that last 10% to perfection. Of course, I am still hopeful as my PT person keeps reassuring me that as my right back gets better and better so will my right hip!

Regardless, I am so glad to hear from old (young) friends!
 
Oh, my, a year has come and gone --- I did not forget to celebrate my one year anniversary for Hip-cation #2! Though I have the day on Monday to really indulge in celebrating both my birthday and new life. I actually took the day off and start off the day with my one year follow-up. And then plan to FINALLY go for my horseback ride! No skydiving for me - :nah: husband nixed that idea. Didn't tell me no, which, of course, I would gone just because, but just asked me not to risk it. :sad: But, I will be very happy with a good ride tomorrow to celebrate! :horseriding:​

I've been visiting around the site looking for old friends, so if you get a bump with this post, please, I miss you all. I especially wonder about Sally @Vetgirl ?

I am doing okay --- I still feel that I would like my right lower back and hip to be better. My left, first hip is WONDERFUL! I am so amazed and still awestruck! My right side, not so much. If my back feels good, then the hip/groin not so much. The surgery recovery from the SI joint has been LONG and TIRESOME. Again, I say, the severe stabbing pain is gone but that side still aches. I did have three pain free periods of a couple of hours this year - March 26, May 13, and September 30.
This is really hard for me as I feel I dealt with my hips this way for so long and worked so hard to avoid medical/surgical "fixes" and I finally did the surgeries to such truly amazing results and NOW I have to go back to the "Oh, just accept and deal with the back pain, its not ever going to go away, just find ways to deal with it!"
The back surgeon did only suggest that I'd get about 90% pain relief with surgery. So, don't know, but this does not feel like 90%. It always has dull ache that gets quite "un-dull" by about 10 in the morning. I can bring it back down to dull ache after half-hour to hour of stretches and core strengthening exercises but I don't always have/take the time for that so . . .

But, I look back on my notes from pre-first surgery and I am so very much better. How are my other October 2014 friends doing?
 
It always has dull ache that gets quite "un-dull" by about 10 in the morning. I can bring it back down to dull ache after half-hour to hour of stretches and core strengthening exercises but I don't always have/take the time for that so . . .
So sorry to hear this @Me2 . Yes indeed, there are no guarantees with back surgery. Here is hoping with a bit more time and strengthening this will ease.
 
So glad your hubby advised against the skydive @Me2 A step too far methinks....but I am a scairedy cat!!
I'm sure your back will get better in time & give your hip that extra 10% ( but 90% is fab). Not sure anything on my body is 100% but the hip is good enough for me! It allows me to walk my little doggy and that was my goal!
Enjoy your celebratory horse ride!! X


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Me2 Your last post showed up in my email and I thought I would pop in and say hi. I am doing well. I very rarely get on this site anymore, but do like to come back every once in a while to see if I can contribute or if I see anyone I recognize. I, too,wonder about @Vetgirl Sally. She may have decided to just get on with it and quit coming to this forum. I hope she is doing well.

You are a trooper and it sounds like you are hanging in there. Sorry about your back. Mine gives me pain on occasion, especially when I have been doing higher impact activities. My hip is good; still having some residual thigh pain, but I can handle it. My other hip acts up every so often. I had a cortizone shot a few weeks ago that gave me relief for a time, but the last three days have been rough. When it gets bad, I back off my activity, ice, and take it easy. My doctor asked me what I wanted to do about it and I said wait as long as I can! It doesn't limit me most days, so it isn't time yet.

Good to see you still around and checking in. Nice to see my old friends on here! @Hoppy Nanny @MajorHeidi
 
Good to hear things have improved @Dmcfad2!!!!
I'm at the same point with my other hip.... Sometimes no problem & sometimes... Ouch!!! Holding off the inevitable for as long as possible. Xxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Enjoy your celebratory horse ride!! X

I certainly did, thank you all very much!!! Its been a very busy week BUT

Last Monday, the day after my 57th birthday, I was back in the saddle after keeping almost the 6 month restriction from the back surgeon. At FIVE months after back surgery and ONE year after second hip surgery, I MOUNTED FROM THE GROUND!!!! Several times!!!! @Meggzie and @concal Can you believe it? And I was able to get off - to the ground - all by myself! We walked trotted, cantered and almost stretched into good gallop! I DID IT! I DID IT!! I DID IT!!! I even tried a little jump over a downed tree - just a little one. Though we did a couple of smaller jumps over a stream - my pretty Arabian does not like to get his feet wet.

The jump over the tree was probably not as good of an idea as it did cause a bit of pain . . . but the back doesn't seem to have lasting problem -- actually since riding I can honestly (as opposed to the dishonesty to myself and others I usually do) say that several instances have brought me down to the "1" or "2" on pain scale -- my translation of I don't feel it unless I stop for a moment to think about it.

Life is good!
 
I also had my one year follow up with hip surgeon. Asked him about the ongoing groin pain, dull ache with some pinching, and front and side of thigh. He said everything looked great as far as xrays but scheduled bone scan just to be sure. So, :bolt::rolleyes:, hoping I get a "Yes, everything fine, that too will go away as back gets better." or a "Ah, geez, little problem, I can just fix that with a wave of my magic wand." I go back for a quick visit on Thursday. I called the back surgeon office just to make sure that the bone scan I was getting would show whateve he might need to see in back also to give me a thumbs up or down. Hip doctor suggested that maybe from lumbar region of back since DDD and stenosis there too, and pain is sometimes radiated to front and leg and . . . .

But, overall, a good one year report with slight wait to Thursday for total thumbs up! :fingersx: :thumb:
 
@Me2, sounds like the only thing I'll need my iron skillet for this autumn is baking my cornbread for Thanksgiving dressing! You sound great and so happy! I'm smiling as I type this, can you tell?? :happydance:
 
Merry Christmas and wishes for a pain-free and stress-free holiday to all my BoneSmart friends.

I so miss the camaraderie I had here with both hip surgeries --- for anyone out there who still tunes in, I started a new thread in the "other joints" forum and could really use some moral support as I am taking my first steps on a new "adventure".
 
Just posted on the "other joints" forum. I'm back, girlfriend. Skillet in hand.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Me2 We are here for you no matter what forum you are on! Wishing you a Happy Christmas!
 
Hi @Me2 :) still chugging along here. My daughters future father in law had a knee replacement on the 22nd, but I don't think he's much of a computer guy. Merry Christmas and I hope you're doing well.
 
Happy New Year one and all!

So sorry to miss the party yesterday.....grr!

I am posting over on my shoulder thread and starting the countdown to surgery there . . . 14 days/sleeps but reality has not kicked in yet.
 
Happy New Year Sheryl! More surgery eh? sorry to hear that...I hope this brings relief. I haven't been on BS for ages, but am doing great with my THR...many days I don't even think about it (unless I sit too much then it feels a bit stiff), and can do whatever I want. pheasant hunting has been terrific this year with lots of birds and my ease of movement
Hope your procedure is successful, and recovery smooth.
take care
Andy
 
Thanks for the good wishes, Andy. I'll admit to struggling to keep my head above water on facing another recovery! I do really think about my first great left hip -- but only with the view as to "I did that, and I can do this!" I treasure the friendships I gained here and the insight into how other people deal --- and your "hip-cation" notion is one of my go to perspectives -- and this shoulder thing will be a very long "recovery-cation" where I will use every ounce of patience and good perspective! Have a great new year . . . and much happy hunting!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom