Guest viewing is limited

THR Me2 and Recovery

Wow @Me2 loved reading your journey. I so can't wait to be where you are today!!! Must be such a great feeling to get your life back on track...

Hope you have a lovely day...:wow:
 
Why thank you Gillian @Gilly ! I am feeling so amazing as those little bits of life are returning and becoming "normal" again. A lovely day to you too!
 
Hi Sheryl, just thought I'd pop on to YOUR thread to say how happy I am for you, thanks for including me in your list of "friends" during your amazing recovery. I was typing my reply to you re "the heels" (ve-ry nice btw) on my thread - when I posted it, up popped your post saying you survived the heel test... hope it was a great night for you and your family... we sometimes forget their part in it all, they must be thrilled to have a fully functioning "you" back with them too.
I can see, as I improve, what you alluded to in an earlier post (that I just re-read) how can we learn to live with a "forgotten hip", which was always the ideal outcome, and NOT "forget" those that surrounded and supported us while it was most definitely NOT forgotten... was in fact the all consuming centre of our lives?? Let's hope we can find a way to remember the albeit-tiny part we played in each other's life, without associating it with, now what was it that brought us into contact with each other in the first place... I forget:heehee:

Here's a bouquet for you, just because :flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
Good Morning Sheryl!! Just popped in to see how you're getting on - my bet is on 'awesome'!! :flwrysmile:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Me2 and Recovery


Hi Jenna!. How awesome is your life going?.

I just happen to be sitting at a holiday gathering revelling in being able to sit with my legs crossed!. Either one!. Can life get any better?


Sheryl from Pittsburgh
LTHR on 4/2/2014
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
That's pretty darn awesome!! It really is the little things that make us happy, isn't it?

I finally got a ride in on Spud yesterday - it was lovely!:happydance: Short, because neither of us is very fit, but lovely nevertheless!! I'm planning on going out for another ride this afternoon!:dancy: I will try to arrange some adult supervision (ie: a camera person) and get some pics today :horseriding:
 
:sick: Still green -- but soooooo delighted for you --- I will have to whine here --- but live vicariously . . . do get some pics for me and perhaps a wee bit of a canter or just a tad of galloping and share so that if winter (which isn't even technically here yet) is ever over, or at least the icy rain part of it, I too may be able to.

Note to self for next time --- recovery in Spring is better :happydance: Oh, :wowspring:, I never have to do this, there will be no next time (hopefully) I am a bionic woman.

:fasthorse::fasthorse::fasthorse::fasthorse::fasthorse::fasthorse::fasthorse:

Oh, well, I will just have to continue to delight in being able to sit with my legs crossed like a little lady!:tada:​
 
Sheryl @Me2, I'd not checked in with BS for ages, wow you sound Great!!!! I am so happy for you! I know your horses (as well as your husband) are thrilled for you to be back in the saddle. if you dance or ride through Oklahoma give me a shout!
Things are great here. physically I am as good as I want to be. bird hunting is fun again, my hunting buddies are back to complaining that I walk too fast. We already have lift tickets for our ski trip to Colorado, morning walks with DW have included some light jogging and I love the feeling of that freedom of movement. I am six weeks into my new job (that I am loving) and we were talking this morning that I would not have had the energy pre-op to even consider a job change...I am with you, I feel like I have gotten a lot of Christmas presents already this year!
Keep up the strong recovery my hippy friend!
 
WOW @Dieter and @Me2 you guys have won 2014 like a Vegas Windfall!!!!
Way to go on all that you have done!

I hope all our cohort is doing well, too! :santaclap:
 
:wowspring:Absolutely amazing 6 week post op check up at 7 weeks!!!!! OS said everything so perfect . . . cleared to do whatever my heart desires . . . if I could do it before hip issues, I can do it now . . . if I want to do it and it doesn't hurt, go for it [small caveat that I am still healing, not to rush it (me?), use common sense (me?), patience (me?)] and I don't have to go back for a year! :yes!::happydance::dancy::roseshwr::cheers::curtsey::scaredycat::scare:

YIKES YIKES YIKES . . . since he told me that I have felt a mix of emotions . . . from that :yes!: feeling that I'm all better, :happydance:that I can dance for joy that I can do life again, :dancy:that I can go back to the gym again without being afraid of damaging me, :roseshwr:that I can put that smile :giggle: on hubby's face any which way, :cheers:that he is so sure I'm all better AND that I'll take care of my new parts that well :curtsey:that he doesn't need to see me until next October :scaredycat::scare::thud: .

:sos: BoneSmart friends . . . . I so happily celebrating BUT :bolt:I feel so melancholy, even a little panicked, too. :wowspring:How in the world do I go about living a normal, no doctor visits, no worry about surgery and getting fixed, a "forgotten hip" kinda life?

Who is that going for a walk in Paris? Can we stop off to see @Cantabrigian for the skydiving adventure? Can I head to Australia for a :fasthorse: with you @Megzie and to visit all you Aussie friends? Mayhap I'll head for our central states to show off for @Dieter and @Plumberbutt ! @GaRosehippy @MajorHeidi @beachgal @HerbM @CanukTriMom @craftdee and all of you folks on the other side of recovery, thank you for getting me here! Now what :surfer::hog::swim::bicycle1::kayak::fasthorse:

It's been a while since I checked in, to see how you wonderful people are getting on .... and this is the 1st message I see!! :)
I'm sooooo pleased for you Sheryl You had a stressful time, I know, but being given the all clear to do what you want is just the best (early) Xmas present you or anyone could have hoped for!
 
@Me2

Just dropping by to wish you a great holiday season! Thanks for all your support throughout my recovery!:santawave::box:

Hope Santa was good to you!

Cheryl
 
Hi Sheryl @Me2 Just droppin' by to wish you the Happiest of New Years :loveshwr: I hope the 2015 brings all that you wish for, and that your recovery continues apace

Thanks for your support over the last few months, I am genuinely grateful

Donna xx :flwrysmile:
 
Happy 2015 to you all and all of the others who journeyed along with me this year. Its been a year! Thank you for all the continued support and shared information and, well, everything! We can all feel our accomplishments of 2014 -- may 2015 be as well done!

A bit of an update, at about the 12 week mark . . . not as good as I would like it to be . . .

After the OS released and cleared and declared all healthy at 7 weeks, I was clearly celebrating with wearing heals, back to gym, holiday doings . . . which, of course, as @bottomshollow quite clearly warned

Just don't get carried away and overdo at the gym. It's so easy to do when you're feeling good and loving what you're doing. It's still pretty early in recovery.

So either with overdoing :climb: or jinxing :bow: myself or just a part of recovery :what: or life or hypochondria :bigfish:, and as I shared a little whine over on Donna @craftdee thread, my back has decided I shouldn't. The old ache from right back waist to right back knee was not so "lacking in pain" but became very painful and spread up to neck, shoulder and head. I took it easy, went back to just soft stretching exercises at home, :swim: and no more too much computer work for about ten days :type: (hence the no/little BoneSmart time for me) then when I started limping and aching from head to knee on right side I called my doctor doctor and surgeon. The surgeon's office terrified me :dead: with giving me an appointment the very next day and the regaly doctor seeing me day after Christmas:swoon:. Surgeon examined, said all ok and could still be hip related, and suggested PT for a month to work on back and hip just to give it a bit of time to work itself out. :sigh:

Physical therapist and regular doctor (who happens to be an osteopath who really takes interest in the "chiropractor" side of medicine) both agree that this is my wonderful SI joint - which I thought was lower "back pocket" area and cured by SI joint injection last July. :cry:This SI joint could be still related to recovering hip and should be/might be corrected with some therapy. :fingersx: Osteopath doctor did a really nice adjustment thing, noting too leg length discrepancy and crooked hips (though was all fixed). PT exercises/stretches all feel good when doing but now first day off as its the holiday and mid-day, and I feel all crooked and aching! :flabber::shrug:

Trying to stay positive and not even start the thinking of why did I do second hip when most painful part is back again. Whimper, whimper, whine! I know, I know, I am so much better off then last new year -- I had just had appointment with a nasty surgeon whose only words were "When did you want to schedule surgery?" and a nasty lose weight warning and here's a video go watch it. But, he did do me the favor of hitting me over the head with the do it message. :yikes::shocked::scare::sos: And inspired me to research more which follows finding BoneSmart!

Ah well. I did do it. I (like all of you) deserve to proud of myself and to live a healthy, pain free life. Here's to all of us resolving any of our residual issues.
 
Perhaps @Josephine if you have a moment . . . you would offer your two cents (though enormously worth more than that) on whether this is SI joint and could it be related to hips yet and whether PT will help? Or other suggestion of what would help?

The pain is always just to right of back, at waist level, not back pocket level as I thought? It has been there for a year or more before surgeries, but became especially noticeable after first surgery in April (probably because left hip no longer hurt and I could suddenly do so much more). This area became especially painful by July, I had an SI injection mid July. As the doc said then, it helped much that day with the numbing drug, then came back and gradually disappeared again over the next ten days --- but just lower back pocket area that I thought was SI. The higher pain still lingered off and on with some of the exercises I had found online (bridges, side to side with bent legs and clams - which were first therapist gave me) My surgeon had warned before surgery that he could not guarantee that the surgery would fix this issue but I so hoped it would. I was wonderfully pain free through 8 weeks after second surgery and then it came back more and more and more.

If questions are easier for you to look at with your usual format of picture and list of questions, I would be more than happy to answer that way.
 
Ah, Sheryl @Me2 So sorry you're in pain again:cry:... if it's any consolation I'm "there" again too; it's uncanny - I was saying to my son yesterday (we spent the day together and he could see how restricted my movement was/is again, couldn't go for the walk we'd planned I'm just too stiff and sore - nearly as bad as pre op, not in the hip, "just" in the back, leg, bum, thigh, psoas.... sigh) that I feel I jinxed myself by saying it was all coming together recovery wise.

I have been going down for a few days too... I tried stretching and exercising, it gets tighter and sorer, I tried resting - it feels not as bad until I try to do ANYTHING, the first ten steps are always bad, but now it stays with me as it did weeks ago. I felt really good the other day (when I did my fateful post!) then the next day - and since - c**p!! :groan: I wore heels on my "good" day, that's the only thing I can think of that I did different, but they were not high heels by any stretch, and I would have thought by 12 weeks I would be able to reincorporate my for-me normal footwear! :shrug:

I'm afraid, again like you, I uttered the "why did I bother having this op" line yesterday; it's summer here and I would have been okay (alright, not great, but you know what I mean) with the arthritis in the hip and few muscular pains - this is like having climbed a small mountain (we went hiking in New Zealand some years ago, trust me I know what climbing a small mountain feels like) tightness/soreness/acheyness relentless and so widespread... it feels like my whole hindquarter, with a bit of knee and quad pain thrown in for good measure, and I know it makes me hold my upper body in an unnatural way so my shoulders and neck are feeling tense too - hence the headache!

I didn't want to put all this on my thread, it feels somehow "ungrateful", I don't know exactly what I mean by that, perhaps YOU do :chinstroke: It makes me feel whiny and immature, but the fact is I DO feel like I "deserve" to be better, realistic or not, that's the fact. So even though I am usually such an anti-entitlement person - for example I get irritated with some people on benefits (we have some in our family for a start, who tell us how "lucky" we are to have a nice home, even though we still get up and go to work at 5.30 every day as we have since the age of 17 and they, quite literally, have NEVER worked a day in their lives) who claim they "deserve" to have an increase in benefits or "deserve" cheap housing - why?? what have they done to "deserve" it?? I'm not saying they should live on the street, I'm saying they should see it as a benefit not an entitlement - I'm disappointed that I'm not feeling good and feel that I'm entitled to that for going ahead with this op, with all it's discomfort, fitting it in around our work schedule without asking for any financial support and sticking to all the restrictions and requirements of recovery.

So now I'VE crashed YOUR pity party:boohoo: Let me know if you come up with any magic solutions, otherwise just know that across the ocean there's a butt that's feeling just like yours... and a person attached to it that's feeling just like you :sick:

In friendship, Donna xx
 
Wow @craftdee you must feel bad as you are one.of the.most possitive people on here. I.so feel for you both it is difficult to go through the.ordeal of operation and.recovery and then feel like was it worth it. Recently I joke give me a.chainsaw then no.more problem. But although said in.very frustrated jest I know I have to.see this through.
Both of you deserve better and I'm sure it will resolve. Just takes time. Both of you take care and I know.could be risking my neck here but keep smiling.


Legin THR Sep 14
 
Can you tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?
Please note the instructions in the smaller image

[Bonesmart.org] Me2 and Recovery


[Bonesmart.org] Me2 and Recovery
 
Sheryl @Me2 I have the exact same thing! The pain is on my non-operative side, adjacent to my back, right at the top of my pant pocket. It was causing sciatica down my leg, but thankfully that has dissapated. And, I feel all crooked, which makes me feel that my non-operative side is longer than my operative side. My OS won't let me take any anti-inflammatories until 12 weeks post-surgery (I have 10 days to go). So, my GP gave me muscle relaxants and Tylenol 3. The muscle relaxants have made a huge difference -- particularly in my ability to sleep at night. I've also been doing some PT exercises. I don't know how to describe them well. The PT has me lie on the floor and put my legs bent at 90 degrees on the wall and push as hard as I can into the wall with one leg and, at the same time, put both hands on the thigh of the opposite leg and push into my hands with the other leg as hard as I can without letting my hands move. (I call it the push-pull exercises). You hold this position for 10 seconds and then switch legs and push-pull the other way. Then, he has me lie on the floor with my knees bent and put a doubled up pillow between my knees and squeeze for 30 seconds. The other thing I did was buy a book called Somatics by Thomas Hanna. There are exercises in there to help re-balance all the imbalances that come from stress or trauma to various parts of the body. It's helped with the crooked feeling too. Please keep me posted on your progress. It looks like we're going through this together.

Elizabeth
 
  • Informative
Reactions: Me2
Ah, thank you Josephine!

The pain that is always always there to some degree is actually where the heading R4B is and heads into the R5B.

By the end of any activity of 20+ minutes (even sitting) it seems to spread up to right base of skull, especially neck and shoulders. It did seem, before current PT (4 sessions so far) to go down outside of "hip" across to top left of knee. Still by end of day I'm an exhausted zig zag lump. Again
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom