May Marvelettes 2012 - Are you having knee surgery in May?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MAY SURGERY LIST
As of Sunday, May 20th


Week 1 - Done and dusted
May 03 Kose


Week 2 - Done and dusted
May 07 RestAssured (Sonja)
May 08 Proskier
May 11 Dotty

Week 3 - Done and dusted
May 14 Bluegrove
May 14 Kfriedm (Kathy)
May 14 limpy7
May 14 Piglet
May 14 thethom (aka Spider Man)
May 15 Jmark87
May 15 Ladymayin
May 17 lonewolf121
May 18 Keya (MPFL reconstruction)


Week 4

May 21 Tygerlylli
May 21 Patob
May 21 Juditude
May 22 Teresakay (Kay)
May 23 Welshlady

Week 5
May 29 1ELISEA
May 29 debl
May 29 Mprov (Mike)

May 30 RICBAK1
May 31 HollyM (Holly)


 
I am haveing a TKR on 23rd May in a small Welsh town, hoping it won't be put back.

Welshlady,

If you would like, why not post this in the Knee Replacement area and people will stop by to say hi and wish you well.

We are from around the world so have a bit of patience for the different time zones. But it would be great for people to give you a proper greeting.

This link should help.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/ho...ead-t3513.html

Essentially, you go to the Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area and there should be a "New Thread" button on the left side.
 
I am scheduled for a TKR May 29th. I ruptured the ACL and since I have some arthritis in the knee the Dr. decided on a TKR. Three weeks ago I knew nothing about TKR but thanks to this sight I have learned so much. Tomorrow at my preop with Dr. I have a boatload of questions. Not sure what to expect in recovery all people tell me is pain, pain, pain.
 
MAY SURGERY LIST
As of Friday, May 18th

Week 1 - Done and dusted
May 03 Kose

Week 2 - Done and dusted
May 07 RestAssured (Sonja)
May 08 Proskier
May 11 Dotty

Week 3
May 14 Bluegrove
May 14 Kfriedm (Kathy)
May 14 limpy7
May 14 Piglet
May 14 thethom (aka Spider Man)
May 15 Jmark87
May 15 Ladymayin
May 16 Richard1957 (Richard)
May 17 lonewolf121
May 18 Keya (MPFL reconstruction)

Week 4
May 21 Tygerlylli
May 21 Patob
May 21 Juditude
May 22 Teresakay (Kay)
May 23 Welshlady

Week 5
May 29 1ELISEA
May 31 HollyM (Holly)


mine is on 30 may ricbak1
 
Yeah RicBak1!! I'm praying that it really does happen for you this month!:yay:

Good luck to all those Marvelettes that are left; the journey through is SO worth it! :yahoo:

I agree with Piglet, take those meds! I think this is the hardest part of the mantra to stick to (rest, ice, elevate and meds on schedule). It's easy to forget when you took your last pain pills; I had to finally just grab a piece of paper and write down what I took and when. If you get a chance before you go in either get a notebook or print out an excel sheet with the grid lines turned on. I made up a quick excel sheet yesterday, printed out about ten double-sided sheets and it's working great.
 
Oh, I plan to take the pain meds and keep the pain away as much as possible.

I've already warned people that if I am talking to them on the phone and am not making sense, it'll be the pain pills talking!:hysterical:
 
May 29, is my surgery date. Trying to get things in order. I am allergic to drugs in the opiate family so worried about controlling the pain after. Anyone have similar experience? What did you do for pain control?
 
Good luck to all getting their knees done. I was originally scheduled for May 16. Now the Ortho clinic doctors at the Veterans Hospital in Nashvilel, TN are saying I need to talk to my psych doctor prior to them doing the total knee replacement. Wonder why the jokers didn't think about that during the 15 months I have waited. (Government efficiency at work here.) Now I chose between continuing on Salsalate, Tylenol, and Ibuprofen to manage the growing pain or ask for something stronger for an indefinite period of time. I do not want to build an opioid tolerance. Any suggestions out there? Thanks
 
MAY SURGERY LIST
Time for an update.
As of Thursday, May 24th


Week 5
May 29 1ELISEA
May 29 debl

May 29 Drastetter

May 29 Mprov (Mike)
May 30 RICBAK1
May 30 kpwilson
May 31 HollyM (Holly)
May 31 bassplayer

Week 4 – Done and dusted
May 21 Tygerlylli
May 21 Patob
May 21 Juditude
May 22 Teresakay (Kay)
May 23 Welshlady


Week 3 - Done and dusted

May 14 Bluegrove
May 14 Kfriedm (Kathy)
May 14 limpy7
May 14 Piglet
May 14 thethom (aka Spider Man)
May 15 Jmark87
May 15 Ladymayin
May 17 lonewolf121
May 18 Keya (MPFL reconstruction)


Week 2 - Done and dusted
May 07 RestAssured (Sonja)
May 08 Proskier
May 11 Dotty


Week 1 - Done and dusted
May 03 Kose
 
Good luck to all getting their knees done. I was originally scheduled for May 16. Now the Ortho clinic doctors at the Veterans Hospital in Nashvilel, TN are saying I need to talk to my psych doctor prior to them doing the total knee replacement. Wonder why the jokers didn't think about that during the 15 months I have waited. (Government efficiency at work here.) Now I chose between continuing on Salsalate, Tylenol, and Ibuprofen to manage the growing pain or ask for something stronger for an indefinite period of time. I do not want to build an opioid tolerance. Any suggestions out there? Thanks

I suggest giving the over the counter meds a try and see if it's tolerable. You can always ask for something stronger if it doesn't work out. Even if you are on the stronger drugs, you won't be on them long enough to cause a problem for your recovery, so don't worry about that. Well......that said, I'm assuming the VA doesn't make you wait too long for your surgery.

I'm very puzzled why they would want you to meet with your psych doctor prior to doing a knee replacement. Does some pinhead there think that your bad knee is all in your mind????:DOH: Geeze....ya gotta love the government! I should know.....I worked for DoD for 30 years!!
 
I
I'm very puzzled why they would want you to meet with your psych doctor prior to doing a knee replacement. Does some pinhead there think that your bad knee is all in your mind????:DOH: Geeze....ya gotta love the government! I should know.....I worked for DoD for 30 years!!
Yes, me too. I finally got on a list last Feb 7, 2011 (that is now 400 patients long for knee or hip replacements) at the Nashville Va Hospital. I have no idea why now they suggest a psych doctor now, instead of in the previous 15 months I have waited.:scratch: Might be that I was a little too proactive about my healthcare questions instead of being another mute animal for someone to practice medicine. Yep, guilty, I spoke up intead of just shutting up as was typical protocol for uninsured and uninformed veterans.

Thanks for the advice on the pain management. I suppose I will visit a walk in clinic next week and ask for a different stronger script so I can work until another surgery date comes up.

This is a great site. I don't know who started it, but I am really grateful. :yay:
 
Yes, me too. I finally got on a list last Feb 7, 2011 (that is now 400 patients long for knee or hip replacements) at the Nashville Va Hospital. I have no idea why now they suggest a psych doctor now, instead of in the previous 15 months I have waited.:scratch: Might be that I was a little too proactive about my healthcare questions instead of being another mute animal for someone to practice medicine. Yep, guilty, I spoke up intead of just shutting up as was typical protocol for uninsured and uninformed veterans.

Thanks for the advice on the pain management. I suppose I will visit a walk in clinic next week and ask for a different stronger script so I can work until another surgery date comes up.

This is a great site. I don't know who started it, but I am really grateful. :yay:

I'm familiar with the VA healthcare system and I know from experience, the squeaky wheel get's the grease. The others suffer in silence, being "tough guys" until they start to squeak too. :secretaea:

The physc visit may be for a good thing. The VA's shrinks have gotten a lot better; especially with all the folks coming home from the Middle East. It's sad and sickening but lots of IEDs makes for lots of messed up heads. What the aim for you to see a head doc might be is that they will be the ones who can diagnose an anxiety or post traumatic stress. Now, you might be saying, "That aint me." But think about it like this; say you get close to the surgery date and you start getting nervous. IF the head doc has diagnosed anxiety and/or PTSD in your file then your head doc, your primary care physician and the surgeon all have the option of prescribing medicine that will calm your nerves. If you aren't diagnosed with anything then you won't get anything for your nerves. Meaning all the way up until you are on the table you will be under your own will until they start pushing anesthetics into your veins. For me this is terrifying and unfortunately has happened. I had a procedure done a few months ago that I was a bit more that mortified about. I said I was really nervous and can I please have something. "Oh I'm sorry" looking in my chart, "we can't give you anything for that." That is one of the primary reasons why I went with my wife's insurance for my knee.

I absolutely agree with you; this site is amazing! :friends:
 
Welcome to the BoneSmart family Pat, you are certainly in the right place for support, encouragement, advice, information and lots of fun in between.

I am from the hippie side of the forum, but just wanted to welcome you. The knee folk will be along no doubt to say hi :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom