TKR May I have some cheese with that whine?

Hi all! I've been lurking for quite some time. Nothing more to update. I go back to second opinion OS next month. Gained weight which is not a good thing. I can't seem to get myself going to get the weight off so that the knee can work better for me. Lack motivation! I wish all the best. I will update after my OS appointment.
 
Hi D.S,
I'm sorry you are still having problems. Good Luck at your next app.
Thinking of You,:console2:
Love, Diana :loveshwr:
 
Hi all! Update... Went to Dr. H today. He told me again that my spacer (i.e. plastic piece) is a little too small. He could go in and place a larger one there if I wanted him to, but didn't advise it. He told me that I should wait until I was having pain and couldn't stand it anymore. Dr. H listed all the negatives and all of the positives for changing the plastic piece. The negatives outweighed the positives. I guess I can live with a small plastic piece for now. Neoprene sleeve will be my best friend. :tantrum:
 
Good that your MD gave you the full details so you can make an informed decision.....

Hang in there!!!!
 
Dr. H listed all the negatives and all of the positives for changing the plastic piece.

Hi Maria, appreciate the update. I can guess at some of the negatives, but I'd be interested to hear what the doctor said. I am also intrigued how these doctors arrive at their diagnosis. Did yours do any tests? What are the day to day issues that you are having to deal with with your knee now?
 
I am sorry to read of the spacer issues, but I know that you are at least feeling a little better psychologically knowing what the issue is.

Keep us in the loop as to how things are going and what you eventually decide to do and when you do it.
 
Hey Carol @patient 99! I hope you are doing well.

Dr. H stated that if I wanted to chance possible infection, possible blood clots, pain, weeks of time off from work and of PT for more stability in my knee then he was all for doing whatever I wanted, but he didn't recommend it. There is no problem with the side to side movement. A okay there! When I sit and have my knee bent at 90 degrees and he pulls my lower leg (calf) toward him there is some play there. The x-rays looked good to him. Dr. H said my issue is like a freshly washed a pair of jeans. You put them on after washing and drying them and they fit a little snug. When you sit down and move around in them then the jeans loosen up some. Wow! How real or simple could he get in explaining. Dr. H stated that it happens sometimes even to the best surgeons. The loosening just happened to me this time.

Dr. H said that the OS that did my surgery is an excellent surgeon. I agree, but didn't like that he didn't feel that he could explain what was happening to me the way Dr. H explained it. My TKR OS passed me to a PA who had no sympathy or understanding about what I was going through. She wanted to send me to pain management of all things. UGH!!!

I am not in "PAIN" per se. I am annoyed with the constant feeling of strain and unmotivated to move or exercise. I need to move to make the knee stronger. I'd rather sit around so the knee does not bother me. Here lies the problem. I have gained weight since my TKR by not moving and eating the same way I did when I moved more. This doesn't help the spacer last very long. I also don't feel good about myself with the extra weight.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you at least know what is going on, @skigirl had a spacer exchange and removal of scar tissue.
I need to move to make the knee stronger.
Your last paragraph says it all, you should give serious consideration to being more active. Approach it slowly, you do not want to do too much too soon. Non weight bearing exercises, water exercise, short walks may be a good place to start.
Keep us posted on how you are doing.
 
I was interested by the comments from the Doc. Pain, infection, etc are all normal risks of any surgery. My knee had the exact same amount of "play" in it that yours does. I did have the spacer replaced and my knee is now much more stable that it was before. I could feel the play when I put full weight on my knee.

I would suggest you don't wait "until you cannot stand the pain". If you knee is hurting and you feel the instability and need to wear a neoprene sleeve---what is your quality of life??? Only you can answer that, of course. And, it did take two months of pt before recovery was complete---however, it was no where near like a tkr.

I think you will know when you want to have better knee function, and will take care of yourself in your own time.
 
Hi Maria, thanks for the information. Knowing precisely what the problem is must help, but it still leaves you with the terrible discomfort. If it gets better with exercise, that's great. If it stays the same at least you know you can tolerate it. If it gets worse than it will make further surgery an easier option. I know all this positive stuff is not much help, but its all I've got and its what I say to myself.

I so understand your issues with weight gain. If walking makes your knee hurt, its only logical to want to stay off your feet. To lose 12lbs I have given up my 2 glasses of wine a day and my salted nuts. I loved that wine and those nuts.
 
I would suggest you don't wait "until you cannot stand the pain". If you knee is hurting and you feel the instability and need to wear a neoprene sleeve---what is your quality of life?

Kelly, your question hit a note with me. It all boils down to fear - better the devil you know than the devil you don't. Things didn't go as planned first time round (for Maria or me) , even though the odds were supposed to be excellent, so why should things be any better second time round? Its not until the pain gets really bad that I would be able to throw caution to the wind and circum to further surgery. Sensible? Probably not, but it takes a brave person, or a person out of their mind with pain, to offer themselves up twice - particularly when OSs are advising against it.
 
Good analysis of the spacer replacement vs not.....do what's best for you to feel the best that you can! Many different opinions but that's the beauty of this site!!!

Hoping the best for you!!
 
It is always a conundrum facing a decision to proceed or just live with it. Mine is different, my OS is recommending arthroscopic removal of scar tissue. He said there is no rush, so it is up to me. It will be interesting to hear what he has to say at my next visit, since I am doing better.
Skigirl is right, what is the quality of your life, and is taking a small risk of infection, blood clots, pain, and down time worth it?
 
I do understand your reluctance for surgery. I was a basket case over the issue myself, although it was complicated with adhesions. Jo and Jamie talked me through the second surgery---at least you do have support here on the forum!! LOL

Yes also, carol---it is good to have the backing of the OS. Mine urged me to have surgery.
 
Hi! I don't wear the neoprene sleeve every day. I only use it as a crutch when I feel whiny. I can walk with a constant feeling of pressure. I am being told that the pressure is from my muscles trying to balance my knee. No limping. Great gait according to two different OS, 3 PAs and the PT. This is without a neoprene sleeve. I just know it is there. ANNOYING is what it is. :tantrum: When I sit for long periods of time at my work desk I have to move the knee because it gets a tad stiff. When I sit with my legs straight in bed or propped up the TKR knee feels like the other knee. No pain or pressure. I can move. I choose not to because of the difference in the feeling. It is in my head and I just need to get on with life unless I have pain. Then I will do something about it. I appreciate the comments made by all.

@skigirl you are older than I. I am ecstatic that the spacer replacement worked for you. :happydance:I have a bad case of ODC in my system. :bignono: I was even crowned the Queen of ODC at one point in my recovery. If you don't believe me go back and read some of my early posts. The pendulum moved in the opposite direction after I kept hitting the wall so many times. There are only so many times one can hit the wall before stopping. :headbang: I just moved all the way to the left. That's all. I'm not ready to go through what I went through the first time.

I believe I am just whining about feeling a difference that I didn't expect. I do appreciate your comments. :yes!:When I've endured enough I will do something about it. My original OS had been talking PKR and TKR for 10 years. I had an epiphany 3 months after my 6th arthroscopy and decided I had enough. That is how I came to the conclusion to have my knee replaced. I am sure that I will have to go through the same process before having the spacer replaced.

I wish everyone a kneesy day and a wonderful weekend! :flwrysmile:
 
Annoying is not pressing enough for surgery!! I had agonozing pain when I biked---from the patella grinding against the replacement because of adhesions. They took me to surgery and while I was there, he replaced the spacer.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom