Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR May 19, 2014 bilateral knees for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol. Only paperwork for school this weekend. Monday is when their true colors begin to show. ;) I had this ones big brother last year so I have a bit of an idea of how he works. Ha!

I did put
[Bonesmart.org] May 19, 2014 bilateral knees for me
these into the freezer while taking lots of ice and elevate breaks.
 
Ooooh! Beans! Love 'em!! But ....

.... broad-beans just don't have the same flavour any more!! :chinstroke::chinstroke:

Maybe my taste-buds are shot due to living in India for about five years (imagine the hottest curry you have ever tasted - in Kerala province they feed that to their kids for breakfast!) but I suspect that in the UK intensive agriculture is doing the damage!

As an example, the spinach sold in supermarkets has only 5% of the iron and vitamins that it contained 60 years ago! That was when it grew like a weed in the back garden and was cut on a daily basis. It was also another food that I hated at the time and now commiserate with old school friends that "it just doesn't taste the same"!

Buttered toast and a bed of steamed spinach with a poached egg on top. The perfect snack nowadays!:egypdance:

Ah well, that's me signing off for 36 hours. We have to drive 80 miles through the remnants of Hurricane Bertha and stay in the camper-van overnight in the hospital car-park so that I can make a 9am appointment with my new OS tomorrow!

I've typed up a single A4 page that gives the history of my knees, my personal statistics for health/fitness and the questions that I want answered.

Here's hoping he takes me on, agrees to a BKTR with a distal femoral replacement on the left knee and gives me a start date sometime within the next two months! Not too much to ask for is it? :beg::beg::beg::beg:

Best regards,
:cheers:
Ian
 
@msmechanic58 Anything home grown tastes better! Just didn't have time to mess with plants this year with hubbies knees, did put a few green pepper plants in a pot on the patio. We go through a lot of green pepper, I cut it up in small pieces or slices and put in big freezer bags, lay them flat in the freezer. We just break off what we need. Oh, I know how to freeze eggs too if anyone wants to know.

@Dutto Hope you can get what you want, keep us posted.
 
Hi there,

Great news on the recliner. From such tiny acorns great oaks do grow!!

Personally, I had a brilliant day yesterday at Nottingham City Hospital starting with an interview with the OS that took well over an hour!!!

He disagreed with a BTKR due to my age and the complications caused by the damage done to my left knee when I hit the lamp-post 47 years ago; but he did agree to a single operation on the knee and plans using a system called TruMatch that has been developed by a company called DuPuy.

Here's the link for all the information - https://www.ortho-surgery.com/knee-technology.html

He also disagreed with doing a distal femur replacement on the basis that removing the end of my femur wouldn't leave an alternative if there were any complications: in other words, he suggested that this would be Plan "B" if the TruMatch failed.

I agreed with the plan so now I have to go for a CT scan so that DuPuy can develop the templates needed to cut my femur and tibia to the right shape to take the Attune TKR. I got home and watched a 90 minute video of a surgeon using the system and it looks good!

When I finished with the OS, things kind of took off and I spent four hours completing a very comprehensive Pre-Op Questionnaire and getting all the tests done. (Chest exam, BMI, BP, pulse and temperature, ECG, blood samples, urine sample and finally MRSA swabs and OT interview.)

All done with a smile and an attitude that makes me proud of the UK NHS if not the politicians who are trying to ruin it!

So, at the moment I am waiting for:

o CT scan which is expected to be "soon"!

o TruMatch results which should be "about a week thereafter".

o Meeting with the OS Team and signing of Consent Forms "two weeks after the TruMatch proposal".

o Operation Date "a couple of weeks after the Team Meeting".

Five days after the TKR on my left knee I will be chucked out to start about six months of recovery before going back for the other knee.

All go eh??:egypdance::egypdance::egypdance::egypdance:


I'm just glad that I now have a Plan that I can agree with and with a team of people that give me confidence.

This is despite the fact that the first nurse I met to start the Pre-Op process kept referring to a piece of paper that had "right knee" written on it! Why did this instil confidence? Because the second I pointed out that it was my left knee she went to the OS himself to get it corrected. A team that listens to its patients can't be bad can it?

Fine but windy here so off out on the bike.

Best regards,
:cheers:
Ian
 
Wow we could be twins! I had my first tkr in December - Depuy Trumatch system and my next Depuy will be in September. I had a great recovery and have a straight leg. Can't wait for the other to match!! I also could not have btkr due to many other health issues. I hope your is as great as mine is and look forward to your updates!!
 
If I lay on my side and elevate one leg at a time, I can write student notes home. lol. Do you think that would work???
 
"Respect!" if you can write with both hands! :tada:

Good to hear you are still hanging in there and hope that by now work (well known for being the curse of the drinking classes!) is getting easier by the day. :egypdance::egypdance:

Best regards,
:cheers:
Ian
 
Something to cheer you up.

Yesterday, amongst lots of other literature, I was given a small Booklet about "Falling".

All good information that will be taken onboard but I thought that the following bit of advice was superfluous:

"Be careful not to fall when fitted with a catheter!"
​
Call me a coward but, apart from walking along a knife-edge ridge in the Himalayas, I can't think of any other situation where I would be more conscious that falling was a "no-no" than "when fitted with a catheter"! :whistle::whistle:

Best regards,
:cheers:
Ian
 
Given the number of layers that were stitched, it seems possible. You could call while you are lying on your side with one leg elevated. When you are done being on hold, switch legs:) Glad to hear you have more stamina today, but I hope it's not pain keeping you awake!
 
Nope. It's just 10:00pm here. Headed to get pain meds and tuck myself in.

The little piece was about a 16th of an inch and not bothering me. It was just weird.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom