THR MaxBuck's Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, bottomshollow. "Proofreader" is an unlikely occupation for me.
 
I think BottomShallow was a teacher in another life. Thanks for the help!
 
As a matter of fact, I taught high school English and then intro to computers and a programing logic course at night at a community college. But that's been years ago. I spent 22 years before retiring at a local housing authority in the Section 8 rental assistance program.
 
One more milestone - able to run upstairs (OK, maybe more like jog ...). Those steps are about as far as I plan to run.

Had several interesting conversations at a Christmas party last night. One was with a guy who has had both hips replaced, both posterior, one 2 years ago, one a year ago. He said his recovery was faster on the first one, when he was back to work in 3 weeks, but the second one more like 12 weeks. More complications the second time. But no regrets at all, and the complications were minor in the grand scheme. Both were done in the fall months so he'd be ready to play golf the next spring. He was astounded that I was able to walk without aid or limp after 3 weeks, and that I have no restrictions.

Another conversation was with a doc who does posterior THRs and also does knees. His practice just merged with that of the OS who did my hip. He seems aware that, in order to remain "competitive," he and other docs in his half of the practice will likely need to learn how to do, and start doing, anteriors. He is very impressed with the outcomes of my doctor's patients.

This last doc has done two knees on another friend of mine who also was at the party. One knee was trouble-free, the other had some post-op complications. Moral: you never know what little glitches may occur - or not - regardless of past history of a patient. But glitches is what they are, in retrospect after the recovery period is complete.
 
Forgot to mention - a lot of the minor aches and pains I've had relate to muscle stiffness. So I've set my alarm to do a chime every half-hour, reminding me to get up and walk around the house for a minute or two. It's worked wonders.
 
Hi Max, yes I did exactly the same and set an alarm to remind me to get up and move every hour and alternate with some gentle exercises..

Don't forget that stiffness is a form of pain, so are you sill taking your prescribed meds? Heat also helps with the stiffness at this stage of your recovery :)
 
Poppet, with the limited stiffness I'm experiencing, I feel no desire to medicate. But I'm ready to do so if it worsens. (I've never taken the pain meds that were prescribed - Percocets - because I just am uncomfortable with opioids if I can get adequate relief from acetominophen.)

Another Christmas party tonight, with likely a glass or two of good single-malt scotch. But that's not to be seen as pain medication!
 
Milestones today:

Able to clean our dog's undercarriage after a walk in our lousy Ohio weather tonight - and not a thought about difficulty in bending over far enough. (I foresee several more days of this coming up.)

Able to walk fast - like 15 minute mile fast. Maybe not for that far, but still progress. Exciting stuff, for me at least.

Much less muscle stiffness on my 30-minute-interval walkabouts.
 
Wonderful that you are doing so well! That's 4 miles an hour that you're walking. I used to be able to do that on a treadmill, but never on ground or pavement. I'm so afraid of having problems with my knees---which were bothering me until my hip slowed me down---that I've only been walking slow. I did get on the treadmill at the Y briefly the other day just to see how it felt, put it at 2.7 mph, and it felt good. I am so thrilled at being able to do some short hikes on trails, a pleasure I thought I had lost forever, that I'm taking it very slowly, using a trekking pole, bought new hiking shoes, and just hoping and praying I'll be able to do this for many years.

The bike, though, is even better. When I get off the bike, my new hip feels just like my "good" hip. Florida is flat, and I'm not a fast rider, so I'm not putting a lot of pressure on either leg/hip, but the motion of riding seems to do a lot of good.

That is a great idea, setting your alarm to chime every half hour. Would that I could do that in my kayak, but I would be standing up in some precarious places. I also get stiff, and sore, from sitting too long.

Please keep on posting, Max---I really enjoy reading about your progress, you bionic warrior:yes!:
 
Max, you are doing great. I have mastered my golfer's reach...thank God I was flexible prior to surgery.

Can you all imagine Sissy standing up every 30 minutes in her water craft! Is that a new type of PT? Balance - Warrior style! You just might be on to something girl!
 
There are some places here that do yoga classes on stand up paddle boards. Maybe you could do it on your kayak :)
 
Today's walk: 4.7 miles. Took me an hour and a half, so not a fast pace, but I feel great! After the walk, took an hour to ice and rest. Muscles are a bit weary but no pain. THIS is what I got my THR for! (Oh, and golf, but that will wait a couple weeks at least ...)
 
And Max is off and running. Look at you go! Did you walk a lot prior to your surgery, or is this a new activity for you? Either way, you are doing fantastic. How happy you must be that your experience and recovery have been so successful.

Tammy
 
Tammy, taking a relatively long walk (4 miles or so) in the mornings was my basic exercise routine until about a year ago, when the hip pain started to prevent it. I put on a lot of weight as a result. So being able to get that kind of walk in is very important to me -- I don't want to live life 30 lb overweight.
 
Max, congrats on the long walk! So looking forward to even doing half of that. I know the pooch was probably pretty happy getting out with you - and the extra toweling off was just a bonus! :puppysmooze:
 
Max, it is very impressive that you could take a year off and then jump right back into it without missing a beat. Those extra pounds are going to drop right off.
 
Good stuff Max! Must be amazing being able to get out into the fresh air again.
 
This may be my last post for awhile - just had my 4-week followup with my doc. Very positive! Post-op x-rays showed things are exactly as he wanted them to be. No restrictions moving forward, except he'd like me to avoid the following:
  • high-impact activities such as running or basketball
  • leg presses, squats or thrusts with high weights (low-weight, high-rep OK)
Otherwise good to go. Got a few more details on my prosthesis:
femoral component = DuPuy Corail stem, +12 neck length with hydroxyapatite coating, Delta ceramic ball 36 mm​
acetabulum = DePuy Pinnacle Gription with highly crosslinked polyethylene liner​
He gave me a CD with 4-week x-rays that I can send on to my daughter the orthopod. Great fun!
Thanks to you all for the support and encouragement. This is a great site!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom