THR MaxBuck's Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found all I needed to do was mention the prosthesis and TSA directed me to the right place. No probs.

Walked a boatload in NYC with my daughter last week. Great times. Also caught a Nets game in Brooklyn, walking across the Brooklyn Bridge along the way. Hadn't seen pro hoop in about 35 years. Things have changed a little ...

Haha! 'things have changed a little ...' I'll say Max, you are going ahead in eats and bounds with this new hip.. fantastic!

"Eats and bounds" about describes my trip, Poppet! My daughter is a runner and can eat a lot of calories, so I have to watch myself around her. We ate at some great places. Fortunately I figure I averaged about 7 miles a day walking (seldom took subways) so that helped.

Forgot to mention that I showed my scar to her (the orthopod resident), and she was most impressed with how neat it looks and how well it is healing. Made sure we closed the blinds first, though - New York neighbors are much closer than we have in our Ohio suburbs.

Fantastic Max.. yes, that would be difficult to stay away from all those extra calories.. never mind, you are walking heaps, and it must be lovely being with your daughter :)

Max, I'm sure you disappointed her neighbors. You ruined the peep show. Isn't it great spending time with your adult children. They become true friends in life.

Just a quick update. Had my 3-month checkup this week; my doc was very pleased with the x-rays and the healing of the incision. No need to return till 12 months from now. Oh, and I went to the indoor range to hit some golf balls. The slo-mo video showed me that I'm now able to make the kind of golf swing that my hip has prevented me from making for at least 5-to-6 years. Come on, warm weather!

Thanks to everyone here for your insights and your kindness. Great site!

golfer.gif
Congrats!!! on getting back into the swing of things. These man-made hips are the bomb! Won't be long and you can get out an enjoy the links again. Love a good success story---and so good for other members to see that they will be able to get back to the things they love too.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
golf cart.gif

Swivel those hips, MaxBuck! Isn't it great to get your life back?
Don't be a stranger; I'm sure your updates are very encouraging to pre-ops, especially those planning on anterior approach.

Brief update here. Just got back from vacation in the SoCal desert, including 5 rounds of golf and hiking on the Art Smith trail - which includes about 2,000 feet of climb in a bit over 4 miles of hike (and back down again). Photos here:

20130318_140951a.jpg

Prickly pears were in bloom - just gorgeous!
20130318_135436.jpg

View of the Coachella Valley from the trail:
20130318_133726a.jpg

Blooms on the barrel cactus were not yet past the "green" color phase.
20130318_131744a.jpg

View up at the prickly pears:
20130318_135551a.jpg

(Sorry I wasn't quick enough to get a photo of the chuckwalla lizards we saw!)

Great time. Would not have believed that I'd be able to do this a little more than 4 months after surgery. Makes me happy I had the surgery!

Attachments

• 20130318_135609a.jpg
    20130318_135609a.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 119
  • 20130318_111118a.jpg
    20130318_111118a.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 110
Great update Max. You're doing great! :yay:

If you were in SoCal were you able to avert that nasty storm that blew through?

Hey Max, I am in Palm Springs right now, for a conference! Too funny. I am thinking about trying the museum trail one "evening"/late afternoon. I am looking for a Friday hike (no conf that day). would you recommend the Art Smith trail?

Hey Max, I am in Palm Springs right now, for a conference! Too funny. I am thinking about trying the museum trail one "evening"/late afternoon. I am looking for a Friday hike (no conf that day). would you recommend the Art Smith trail?
@nerdgrrl, the Art Smith is fairly rugged and shouldn't be tried if you're not completely comfortable with rough terrain and some fairly steep climbs and descents (I'd guess ~15% in some cases). I'd recommend use of a walking staff, though I didn't have one; took it very easy, especially coming downhill. Next year I want to do the entire 18-mile trail, using a walking staff.

There is another shorter trail across State Route 74 (heading east from the Visitor Center) that is less strenuous. The Indian Canyon trails are closer to Palm Springs proper and provide a range of trail types and ruggedness. Refer to the web site at http://www.hiking-in-ps.com for a great summary of Palm Springs area trails and hiking opportunities. Joshua Tree National Monument is a great place to go for a hike and lots of unique desert sights if you have the time. Oh, and I have to recommend my favorite restaurant in the valley - Shame on the Moon, in Rancho Mirage.

Hope your weather is as good as ours was - in the low-to-mid 90s every day, plenty of sun. Enjoy!

Hey, Max, what a great update! That looks like a rugged trail, beautiful scenery. Golfing, hiking at 4 months post-op. Your post has to be very encouraging to those waiting surgery.

Hi Max - Thanks for the advice! I ended up being short on time, so I did the Museum trail up and over to Ramon road, with a few side detours. That was about 5 miles with 1000 ft elevation gain. We didn't have time to make it to Rancho Mirage, but I have made note of your recommendation! I was there for a conference, which kept me busy, but the weather was beautiful the whole time.

Just a quick stop back after 12 months to report that I'm doing great. I really don't think about the hip anymore. No need to mention anything to TSA, since they now run everyone through the MRI scanner rather than metal detector.

Do I still have occasional pain in the hip? Yes ... just like I have occasional pain in every other joint in my body. Inflammation happens from time to time. It's what happens to 60-year-olds! But it's a great life. Thanks to all of you who helped me understand what my surgery and recovery might entail. I recognize that I've been one of the lucky ones in my uneventful recovery.

Max! how nice to see your update. I'm glad to know you are doing so well. So am I.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads