TKR Marguette’s Full Recovery

I controlled my nausea by using sea bands on the wrists. They helped get me through a very rough week.

Thank goodness for caring and supportive friends. My mood is stabilizing a bit. Not great but not completely dark either. I went on a day trip this weekend with a friend. It was the first time since my surgery that I drove more than half an hour. An hour's drive each way and a couple of hours walking around. I was fine till I got home, and then I crashed. My knee was fine but I could barely walk and my whole body was aching. Back on the pain meds. I've also had to give up on taking baths because it's too difficult to get out and I dont want to risk an accident. It's now five months since TKR. To say that I am disappointed in this recovery process would be an understatement. I will not be doing this again under any circumstances. I have lost more than I have gained and from what I'm reading on this forum, I doubt very much that it gets much better than this, perhaps only marginally.

doubt very much that it gets much better than this, perhaps only marginally.
While I can’t guarantee anything I do believe you will get better than this! You’re not yet even halfway through this recovery.

I remember 5 months post op. My son got married that month. The wedding was 90 minutes away from where I live.

Thursday evening was the rehearsal and dinner. 90 minute drive to and from. Lots of standing and leg down on the floor.

The wedding was Friday afternoon. 90 minute drive there. Lots of standing again. Wedding was at 3, reception another 30 minute drive, some food at 6 pm (I can’t spell that fancy word :banghead:)
And dinner wasn’t until 8 pm :yikes:
Until we were allowed into the dining room there were few chairs, so I stood a lot.

Thankfully we didn’t come home that night but stayed with friends “nearby” But, I forgot my ice packs, and my friend didn’t have anything suitable, so after all that standing, I didn’t ice. I did have my elevating wedge with me, though, so I was able to elevate overnight.

Saturday morning breakfast with my daughter who lives out of state, then finally the 90 minute drive home, to stay.

3 days of overactivity!

My leg ached, swelling was up, you name it.

I’ve had a slower recovery than others, and yes I have some kind of issue still, but my leg in general is better. My bend is better even now at 17 months than it was at 12 months.

I doubt very much that your knee/leg will stay where it is at this point. You don’t even have to believe that. It will improve anyway.

It’s going to be ok. :console2:

An hour's drive each way and a couple of hours walking around. I was fine till I got home, and then I crashed. My knee was fine but I could barely walk and my whole body was aching. Back on the pain meds.

That's how it goes at five months. At five months I felt good enough to go visit my sons and grandchildren in other states, and, well... it was pretty good. But that first night after walking so much my right knee swelled up and hurt (and it was the GOOD knee). My knees were achy the rest of the trip and until I got home and rested/iced them properly. Same with the second trip two weeks later.

At five months a new knee is still a sensitive, cantankerous thing. It needs pampering to be 100%. If not, it will flare up and remind you it isn't fully healed yet.

I've also had to give up on taking baths because it's too difficult to get out and I dont want to risk an accident. It's now five months since TKR.

Don't give up on baths just yet. Try again in a few months if you think things have changed. You might find things easier. But I agree... don't risk an accident.

I have lost more than I have gained and from what I'm reading on this forum, I doubt very much that it gets much better than this, perhaps only marginally.

It can get MUCH better! Many of threads on this forum are from people who have struggled with recovery. People who have not struggled with recovery are less common because those people never look for a place like BoneSmart. They recover without problems and simply go on with their lives. If they lurk here for information, they generally never bother to post about their recoveries.

I had an excellent recovery. Yes, I had pain and swelling. I had to ice and elevate and stagger around on less than perfectly functional knees for weeks. I went through it in duplicate. But in the end my results are great! After 15 months I have no pain, no stiffness, excellent ROM, walk for miles, do stairs easily, squat, swim, bike, climb ladders, garden, and for the most part forget I have mechanical knees. Where I am right now is where most TKR patients end up.

Hang in there. Your leg will not stay the way it is right now. :console2:

Last edited:
@Jockette and @SusieShoes, thank you for your encouragement. Sometimes I feel like such a whimp. Other times I feel so fortunate as my difficulties seem to pale compared to others. In the grand scheme of things, it can certainly be a whole lot worse. Looking forward to the day when this will be a passing memory.

Five months after my first tkr, like you, I thought i'd be completely healed, everything would be better, etc. Obviously the bone on bone pain was gone and I was "better" but certainly not healed. Because of peripheral neuropathy in my left leg, it's never going to feel entirely healed or normal, but it does feel sturdy and it's nice to not be dealing with all the cascading problems created by bad knees. Not much consolation but it's better than wondering if we'll get to a point where a wheelchair is necessary.

Question.... is it normal for scar tissue to become itchy and sore at 5 months post surgery? There is no visible signs of infection. Dont know if itching means it's healing or if that is an old wives tale. A little bit of pain in one spot also.

Answered my own question. Apparently it is quite common.

Last edited:
@Laurenkate I think that the unmet expectation is the worse. There are days when the thought of getting around on a scooter sounds like a pretty good idea to me. If there is a positive, it is definately that there is no more bone on bone pain. All sorts of other pain but not that one.

At 5 months you aren't even halfway healed. I was really restricted at 5 months on what my knee would allow! It was still in control and let me know it with no uncertain terms! Yours will get better. Just be patient. Oh yeah, I hated that word, too!

@Marguette I feel your frustration and am with you.
I cannot offer any advice but know I am supporting you from afar and following your recovery.
Patience is a virtue they say well I don’t feel very virtuous at the minute and so fed up of my knee dictating my pace of life. But things will improve eventually and at least you no longer have the bone on bone pain which nagged and nagged and nagged.
And took away any quality of life and only gave back the promise of always being your constant companion. Hang in there chuck I’m hanging with you :tiredwheel:

I too had that nausea and early on could only stand over the kichen sink when really sick. I had to start with crackers. Then after three weeks I begin to eat again. Never stopped The funny thing is I use to eat little meat and always ate a lot of produce but for now I crave MEAT") I feel so much better and can sleep better . I am working towards my fifth week.This afternoon I drive myself down the road for my first outside therapy.

Thanks everyone for your support through the last few weeks, which have been very difficult. This week seems to be somewhat better. My mood seems to be stabilizing and more optimistic. My knee appears to be bending a bit better which means less pain and swelling. The weeks are going by so quickly now that I am back to work but, boys-oh-boys, do I ever tire easily. It seems I need a nap two and three times a day. Fortunately, I work from home which allows me to take advantage of breaks in my day to do what I need. I'm so fortunate and appreciative for that. Have a good evening/ week/ weekend everyone!. :loveshwr:

It will get better, just hang in there!! I am almost 19 weeks post surgery, and I still get occasional stiffness, minor swelling and achiness in my surgery leg. I have been icing and elevating my leg in the evenings, which really does help. One of the things I've learned from BoneSmart, is that recovery from a TKR is a long process. It can take up to a full year to completely heal. Just relax and give yourself time to heal!! It's a wonderful thing, being able to walk and stand with no knee pain!!

I have never been a high energy person, I took naps for ages after my surgery!

When my kids were still little enough to take naps, I would take one also. I’d sleep the same 2 hours they did! 2 out of 3 of my kids did not sleep well at night and were up at the crack of dawn. I would even turn the phone off when I took a nap! :yikes: That was way before answering machines.

@Marguette hope you are feeling better today. I always bathed but not had one since my TKR. I shower now. Oh how I long to be submerged in warm bubbly water with a book and no worries about how the hell am I getting out of here. Haha
Hopefully as my knees bend improves I will get in there and be confident about getting out. The idea of my husband having to haul me out fills me with dread him more so I expect.
I go back to work 2 weeks today maybe being occupied will take my mind off this knee. But I will admit to being nervous. You did so well going back when you did jyst hope I handle it as well as you.

being occupied will take my mind off this knee. But I will admit to being nervous. You did so well going back when you did jyst hope I handle it as well as you.
Hi Kazmerz, returning to work was a challenge in some ways but I had the ideal situation... working from home, only three days a week. I can use breaks in my day for walking, icing and elevating, and sometimes, can sneak in a nap. Working also helps to have some structure in the day and keeps the mind occupied. Hope your situation is flexible enough for you to take care of yourself. As for bath time, I'm with you. Life without a bath is tragic. Lol. In the first twelve weeks, I would go to the local pool and soak in the hot tub. Not as good but it helped to cope. Now, at five months, I can manage in and out once a week. Some days are better than others but at least it holds the possibility for future success. You too will get there. There is something called a bath lift which is available through Amazon. I'm keeping that in mind in the long term if things dont improve as much as I would like. Good luck with your return to work. Hugs!

@Marguette thanks flower. I keep practising lifting my leg over the rim of the bath every time I visit the loo.
Slowly getting more confident about taking the plunge but first I’ll get into an empty bath and then try get out.
Fingers crossed . In my mind it makes sense but in reality it probably won’t go to plan and I’ll need to be rescued. Haha
Had a lovely day with my family so spirits bolstered just hope I can maintain them.

Right around five months was when I finally turned a corner, and eight months out Lefty is still improving.

The only way I could get out of the tub was turning onto my hands and knees and getting up from there.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
FirstroundSAFS
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom