TKR Marguette’s Full Recovery

@pacosmom you are only at 12 weeks. Its early and there are lots of aches and pains. I think it was about at that time that I finally accepted that all the PT and exercises I was doing was actually making things worse. I gave myself the next few weeks of rest, elevate and ice and limited my exercise to walking around the block and daily activities. I found that really helped and the turning point was at 16 weeks. Between the pain and the fatigue, it's frustrating to feel like you can't do anything. I expected more at twelve weeks but soon learned that more is not better. Those upper quads and leg issues will improve. Just be aware that the heat from a hot tub can cause some swelling. Still totally worth it.
 
You should ask your OS if you can kneel on your new knee. In some cases there are reasons not to, and he or she will tell you if that’s the case with your knee.

Most implants and knees allow kneeling. People may not like the way it feels, though. I can kneel on mine, and do, but it does feel a bit weird.

One thing you might try in the tub (once you know you can kneel) is a nice cushy mat under your body/knee. For traction and cushioning.
 
Ooh I can't even think of kneeling! I actually haven't knelt for years. The restrictions of dodgy knees sort of creeps up on one.
 
I have no interest in kneeling!
 
When I first starting having all my knee surgeries back in the 80s, my OS said to never kneel on the knees, that it was really bad for them. Needless to say, I've not knelled since then.
 
I generally don't care about kneeling except that it is the only way for me to get out of the bath tub. It is very difficult for me to get out without first going on my knees and tthn pushing myself up. Unfortunately, my new knee is the one that lands first. ... and what happens if I need to reach something under a piece of furniture? It's not like I have someone around that can help. I sure hope this is temporary.
 
Could you get a bath board? At least until your knees are better. Or better still, change the bath to a walk in shower. We did that after my last TKR and I'm so glad we did.
 
Not sure what a bath board is. I will look it up; no need for a walk in shower as I can get in and out of the bath standing to take a shower. I want to be able to soak.
 
Ah. A bath board fits across the top of the bath so you can sit on it and swing your legs over the edge. Not what you're wanting by the sound of it. There are all sorts of systems on the market that can be fitted to gently lower you into the bath and raise you back out.
I longed for a soak in a bath so, when staying in a hotel with a lovely big bath in the en suite, I tried it. It was blissful until it was time to get out. Talk about a beached whale.What a nightmare. It took two of us ages to work out how to get me out. That clinched it. My bath days are over.
 
You can buy an inflatable cushion thing that you sit on and then gently let the air out until you’re in the tub. Then you press a button and it inflates again so you can get out. I should think they have them on Amazon? Won’t be cheap but if you love a soak probably worth it!:bath:
 
Yes, I've been researching options and a bath lift runs $1200 to $1600. - a big investment. I've also read evidence-based research that says there is no reason for not kneeling, it will not damage the implant. However, many people are either afraid to, find it uncomfortable or are following instructions from the professional community. It did indicate that of those who did kneel, some started after six months while the majority waited a year. This is hopeful. I will check with my OS and the bath lift could be a solution in the long term. Two things stood out for me... at 16 weeks, it may be too soon. If uncomfortable, roll a couple of hand towels or facecloth to cushion the knee.
 
I hate showers and Hubby prefers a soak too. I have one of the inflatable ones for the bath. Hubby got it off E-Bay new for £250 plus £12 postage from UK to Portugal. Does the job but not 100% comfortable. :bath:
 
You would probably love my deep corner tub that to me is a waste of time, money and most definitely space, in my little retirement home. It’s only redeeming quality is that it is not an eyesore! I have a lovely vase with artificial flowers sitting in its corner.

My one daughter and 3 grandchildren think it’s wonderful, though!

I don’t bathe in it but I do have to get in and out of it on occasion to dust the edges and seat if someone’s coming to stay with us and will want to use it, and it’s very difficult because it’s so deep.

There are also no grab bars, so it’s a rather dumb thing to put in every house in a 55+ community. Most people have replaced theirs with a big walk in shower. It’s currently an accident waiting to happen.

It’s a great bubble bath tub for the kids, though!
:bath:
 
Tonight, I tried a different method to get out. I used my hands on the side of the tub and pushed myself up to a seated position on the edge of the tub using a combination of upper body strength and my good leg to push myself up. It worked pretty well. It will take some time to get used to it and will have to find a secure way not to slip. Necessity is the mother of invention.
 
You would probably love my deep corner tub ....... and it’s very difficult because it’s so deep.

There are also no grab bars, so it’s a rather dumb thing to put in every house in a 55+ community. Most people have replaced theirs with a big walk in shower. It’s currently an accident waiting to happen.

I've noticed British/European baths are deeper than American ones. From the renovation programmes I watch Americans call ours 'soaker baths'. I could manage will a shallower one ... I feel like a child peeking over it!l I would also like grab bars like I had in the UK.

Tonight, I tried a different method to get out. I used my hands on the side of the tub and pushed myself up to a seated position on the edge of the tub using a combination of upper body strength and my good leg to push myself up. It worked pretty well. It will take some time to get used to it and will have to find a secure way not to slip. Necessity is the mother of invention.

I do similar @Marguette and have an excellent 'octopus' mat for the bottom so no slipping but I paid less than shown by £3.49 ...

Amazon product ASIN B00G4A4T9I
 
I have a similar bath mat. I find that even with the suction cups, it tends to slip in some sitiutions. Never heard it called an "octopus" mat before.. :heehee:
 
Great example as to why upper body strength with a TKR is as important as lower body strength! I haven’t gotten into my tub yet (it is an extra deep one) but I’m looking forward to doing so soon as I love to soak. I’ve gotten down on the floor for stretches and upper body strength has been helpful in pushing and/or pulling my self back up. Also found it so helpful while in the hospital and rehab in moving around the bed using those side rails. Also in pushing ones self up off chairs. I praised my personal trainer for all those upper body workouts prior to surgery - so important and helpful:flwrysmile:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom