TKR Marguette’s Full Recovery

Not a great night. Swelling, tightness and some pain keeping me awake. Pain meds not really helping at this point. Oh well, I will eventually fall asleep. Just hope its before it's time to get up.:heehee::rotfl:
 
Oh dear. Maybe you can have a lovely afternoon snooze to make up for lost sleep?
 
I can't even think of getting on the floor cause I can't kneel to get back up.
Can you turn over and get on your toes and push up with your arms? Your butt would be way up in the air, but you don't get on your knees that way. I've done it this way for years. After my kneecap removals, my OS told me to never get on my knees again, so I had to come up with something!
 
How on earth do you get back up again. I can't even think of getting on the floor cause I can't kneel to get back up.:rotfl:
I don’t kneel to get back up. Hard to explain.:chinstroke: I do my stretching in the BR after shower etc as part of morning routine. I’m laying on a bathroom size carpet which has a same size Gel pad under neath it. I then roll over and get into a sitting position which then allows me to bend my leg(s) to give traction and stability [again hard to explain:what:] and then I grab onto the grabbar for my tub and pull myself up which is when I’m grateful for upper body strength.
I surely was not doing this at 4-6-8 weeks but with a few try’s around 9weeks I Figured out a way to do it pretty easily.
 
Well not much is new but thought I would do a check in. Overall, the knee feels a bit better but practically speaking there seems to be little or no change. Still can't walk significant distance; having a terrible time getting out if the tub; still can't go up or down the stairs comfortably; and knee cap and surrounding area hurts every time I roll over. All that aside, the worse is the total lack of energy and motivation. I have a hard time leaving the house, even if it's just to go in the yard. I sleep most of the night, 6 to 7 houra, and still need 2 -3 naps a day. Except when I'm at work, I spend my day in front of the TV, but don't really pay attention to it. I know what I need to do, I just can't seem to get there. Add to that, the sudden passing of a very good friend. I find myself wondering how long it would take for someone to come looking if something were to happen to me? and what would become if mý poor little dog? I don't think I like the answer. Thank God for the reprieve that is sleep.
 
:console2:I’m so sorry about your friend. And I’m sorry you’re feeling so down about your recovery. You have lots of time to improve. It will happen. :console2:
 
So sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Thinking of that loss probably makes your recovery difficult. We're here for you - please keep posting.
 
Sorry to hear of the loss in your life of your dear friend and of your depression. Is there someone you can talk to- a counselor, social worker, church leader? Or possibly share your thoughts with your primary doctor? Your state of depression is concerning and I would hope there is help available to you in Ottawa.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I lost my husband last year, so I know about the chair in front of the TV!! My leather chair has a dent in it from me sitting so much!!! I had to do a few things to get up. One is that I do not turn the tv on. I will read the paper or books instead. Second I made a list of things I could do to feel better: take a walk with dogs, sit outside on my porch , call a friend or learn something new on You tube or with a book.

It is not easy to get over depression, to feel overwhelmed by pain and disappointment. Having a stiff knee is really tough. Can you make an appt with either your doc or another one, not in his practice for a second opinion? You need to know what is going on that you cannot walk comfortable at 5 months. In my own case, i felt empowered when I finally began to deal with health issues instead of letting them overwhelm me.

the decision to speak to your primary care doc about your depression would also help. Once the depression begins to lift a little it gets easier to take a walk instead of the momentous chore it probably seems like now. (and I DO know that feeling.

My husband was a psychiatrist and he always told me that depression was unexpressed anger---and, of course, you are angry and disappointed in the progress of your knee. Right now you need some medical help---a doctor who does revisions, that is the doc who will be more used to sorting out problems and seeking answers.

and yes, I was angry that my husband died and left me alone!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. You already have received wonderful suggestions to help you with that and your knee. I'll offer two comments that may reassure you in some small way. After my first knee replacement, I did sleep well at night like you, but it seemed to need a lot of naps during the day, and I had terrible brain fog that made it difficult if not impossible to concentrate on anything. I think it continued for three or four months, so you're a little beyond that, but your circumstances are a little different, so I don't think you're too out of the ordinary on that matter.

The other matter is unrelated to the knee problem and on the topic of wondering how long it would be until someone finds me should I die at home alone as well as what happens to my pets at that time. I think that's a normal concern. I do my best to make the best provisions I can and then don't worry about it any more. I think it's one of those things our brains like to dredge up to scare us when we're feeling vulnerable.

skigirl, thank you for sharing that depression is unexpressed anger. I needed to hear that.
 
I'm a shower girl, so don't even try to take a tub bath. I can kneel if I have to but it's uncomfortable. If I do get on the floor for any reason, I scoot over to a couch or very solid chair on my butt, get on hands and knees and use the furniture to help me get up.

I know it's easier said than done, but I find when I get in the doldrums with my fibro and don't want to do anything (or when I was having a bad days in the knee recovery) if I could just do one small thing in a day, it can help a bit.
 
You have all been so kind and supportive. Thank you for your suggestions and your support. In light of my previous post, I'm almost afraid to say this, but I'm a professional in the mental health field. That gives me three advantages... 1. I know what I need to do; 2. My friends and support system are all colleagues or former colleagues. They get it and there is no shortage of people to call if needed.; 3. I remind myself that I am not alone going through this and it makes me more compassionate towards my clients.
It's now been two weeks since the passing of my friend. It's getting a little easier but making coffee will never be the same. I miss our weekly coffee morning together. When I had my TKR, he was the one who drove me to all my appointments and on two occassions, came to the ER with me and stayed with me all night at the hospital, all this despite his own health issues. He checked in on me everyday for eight weeks when I was so sick because of the meds and after effects of the surgery.

@skigirl thank you for sharing your experience and I am so sorry for your loss. Loss, it seems, is an inevitable part of life, particularly as we get older.

I was speaking with a friend tonight and bringing her up to date on the events in my life. She described it well.. "a perfect storm of events".

Anyways, this is getting way too long. I just wanted to acknowledge your comment and let you know that I'm OK. Like all storms, this too will pass.

Good night all.
 
Re my knee... as it has been pointed out, five months is still early in the recovery. I have a follow-up appointment mid- Sept with my OS at the six month mark. I'm sure it will continue to improve and a revision is not likely. Some people, I'm sure, take longer to recover than others.
 
I think sometimes people with the most awareness of mental health - professionals, etc are often very sensitive to loss - of all kinds. I‘m so sorry for your loss, and hope you will feel better soon. Sounds like you have a good support system. Of course, you still have to go through it all....hope you will make steady progress.
 
I was glad to see your post!! Post op blues are a part of surgery and having a knee that is not improving at the speed that you expected. Yes, it does take some knees longer than others----like people each knee is an individual!! I am sorry about your friend, he sounds wonderful, you were lucky to have his friendship/
 
You are so fortunate to have had this caring, wonderful friend in your life. Just think about him sometimes, and remember, and he will be, in so many ways, still with you. That's such a gift.

I'm so sorry for your loss and also happy to see you are feeling the love of others in your life. It's surprising sometimes to realize how many others are connected to us. You sound so very blessed. :console2:
 
Good to read you have resources available to deal with your situation at this point in time. Will keep you in my thoughts and
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom