Bilateral TKR Marcy's bilateral TKR

So heartening to read your report! You are my BTKR predictor. When I read what you are doing/feeling, I have faith I will soon be where you are. That's been the case for months now. This report encourages me that the stiffness will eventually go away, and that my knees will not always be front and center. :yes!:
 
Susieshoes! YOU are my hero...I read your posts and see the tremendous strides you continue to make. So happy for you. I will tell you it just gets better and better. I'm working on little things...like squatting down...I guess my knees won't break, right (because I can squat). I love when I catch myself doing something and realizing how I'm just in the moment and not hung up on pain and bones rubbing together (I could feel/hear them in my old life!).

You keep doing what you're doing...I never thought the tight vice feeling i used to feel would ever subside...it's amazing that it has and in the moments I feel tight I can stretch and I'm good!

6 months out...I know more recovery is happening...just feels good to feel good!
 
What a great report! And the best is yet to come!
 
So excited for you and so excited for me and the others on this forum. We have a new life of pain free activity in our futures. Thank you for your updates. It's uplifting to see into the future!
 
Hello my friends...

Hope you are all well. Going on 7 months since surgery...all has been great. Then today, at work I went to get up and put pressure on my toes to get up out of my chair and my left knee felt like it 'moved out of place' like something popped out and then back in on the inside of my knee...It hurt!!!! And since then something feels not right to me. Laying in bed tonight, I felt the same area again as I moved...ugh.

Calling dr tomorrow...praying it's nothing big. Can't sleep...icing the knee...

Anyone else ever experience anything similar?

❤️
 
I experienced a sensation of my knee coming out of joint then locking the first year or two post op, but usually it was only while I was sleeping and never resulted in pain. Let us know what the dr has to say.
 
I'm ok...thank you. I spoke to the nurse and described what I felt. Have been icing and I'm completely comfortable as. I move through my days. She thinks it's soft tissue misbehaving... like we always talk about here, because i am still within the first year of recovery, some of these types of sensations present and are not worrisome. She did not feel this was anything to worry about. Of course, if it keeps repeating itself, I will go in for an x-ray. Feeling much more calm about things.

Thx for your care and concern.
 
I hope your knee settles down again soon. You're doing all the right things for it.
 
I also hope it proves to be some misbehaving soft tissue. Something similar happened with Lefty Over the weekend. I stretched the leg and did a sort of leg lift (I was trying to be sexy) while lying in bed, and... snap, zing! I'm certain it was a muscle and swelling near the ligament there. The movement continued to produce it for the next few days. Nothing with the implant. I slapped ice on it and spent those days elevating. And indeed the last two days, Lefty has been pain free again. But for a while that spot was sore and I had a little more swelling.

Just when we think we're home free... Hoping you too are soon back up to speed!
 
Hello there!!! So happy to say I'm feeling so much better since I pulled 'something' in my left knee last week...iced/still icing at night (I sort of find icing relaxing!).

So, what would you do!?! Here I am...7 months post surgery...I feel truly fantastic...when I say fantastic, what I mean is no more pain, mo more bone on bone arthritic pain, no more crying in pain, no more making deals with myself to walk from here to there, while wincing in pain with every step. I'm still healing, recovering...but it just keeps getting better... I am considering taking a Zumba class!!! I think I'm able...I might swell a bit, but there's ice! I'd most likely do it low impact...maybe I'd try and pick up the pace if it felt right...I'm excited...terrified...would you do it??
 
Last edited:
Go for it! Talk to the instructor. Keep your movements low key at first (listen to the knees). If that goes well...

We have to challenge our knees on occasion, find out what they can do. If your knees handle a little cautious Zumba well, step up the pace. If they swell, take it back a little, or ice and continue while hoping they adjust. Little by little you'll establish a new baseline for what you can do. [I plan to do something similar with swimming. Little by little. But I will swim again, if I have any say.]
 
Try the Zumba class, but be prepared to stop at any time your knee tells you it isn't happy.
If your knee doesn't swell more or hurt more later, then you'll know that Zumba wasn't too much for it.

If you do experience increased swelling or pain, you'll know that maybe you need to wait a while longer before doing Zumba.
 
Hi Marci
Pardon me for chiming in, but you and I are roughly in the same general recovery point, although boy you hit some early accomplishments way before I did!
I had BTKR January 25, 2017. I guess that puts me a little over eight months, I’d have to say that I feel about 75% healed. And I’m figuring yeah it’s gonna take a year, heck maybe a little longer.
I was like you pre-surgery, I could walk about 50 steps per day and I had to get on crutches or stop walking get on ice etc
so now I walk in average 2 miles a day, and have walked 4 1/2 miles. I’ve read in some other posts it seems like days where you do a lot of walking ,those days feel better on the knees than a day of mostly sitting. Boy this is so right for me, I’m a contractor, and if I have to drive between jobs and be in my truck for 1 to 2 hours straight, it’s rough, got to start out each time getting out of my truck like a 95-year-old man getting my knees going Again!
I’m getting glimpses and moments that are lasting a longer amount
Of not even thinking about my knees, and I knees feel good, not slightly stiff and/or slightly sore. Getting better and better. And I see you’re doing great as well as Susie and others. Y’all are really soldiers you know what I mean
 
Hello everyone!

It's been a while since I've checked in here...I just celebrated my year since surgery. What an emotional year...ups/downs and everything in between. I remember last year at this time laying in my bed at rehab thinking what the hell did I do to myself. It all seems like a blur now...I know it was hard and some days really hard! Since about August I can say I feel great.

I visited with my surgeon on Thursday. I feel so grateful for his relaxed approach to everything. He just never made a big deal out of anything, the surgery, the rehab, the expectations etc. but knew how seriously I took the surgery and wanted to have a good outcome. He evaluated my knees through x-ray and had me straighten and bend and he moved my legs around a little. He says my flexibility/ROM is more than he would have expected. I shared with him I still feel slight tightness and stiffness here and there when standing for a long time, but I don't attribute it to pain and it does not slow me down in anyway. He says my knees will continue to settle down into my second year... I have No complaints. I stand for hours at a time at hockey rinks watching my boys play...I used to have to sit everywhere I went... I can walk up and down the bleachers unassisted and have been able to do this all season. My walking is completely stable and I really need to start exercising. I do some walking on the treadmill and a little biking here and there, but I need to really incorporate it into my life. What I have realized is how lazy my previous knee condition made me. While I love to walk and move around, it's just not my normal thought process. Lazy Daisy! That's me.

I see my surgeon again in 2 years unless something comes up.

If somebody is reading this who is contemplating the surgery...it's so worth the few months of challenge to move ahead and get your life back. I just turned 50 in December and I feel 30 again...I surprise myself as to how fast I walk, bend, move around in life and don't think constantly about my knees anymore.

Loved recovering with so many of you...reading your posts...sharing-laughing-and sometimes sharing the emotion of what we all were dealing with.

So thankful...bonesmart people know more than the professionals about how to recover humanly! I remember being one of those members doing PT until I was crying for an entire weekend! This site set me straight! It was amazing when I backed off PT and allowed some rest/healing/gentle exercises! I'll always remember that.

I'll be back to chat here and there...I'm so grateful to you all.

♥️
 
I’m so glad you checked in! Your recovery has been one of my inspirations, from before when I had surgery. I read your thread and several other BTKR threads and thought “This is doable!” I watched your progress with so much interest. So it’s great to read you’re doing well and looking forward to so much. :)

And yes, it’s so wonderful to be able to stand again! And climb steps! And live like a normal person. :happydance:
 
Yippee! What a wonderful report! Others will be inspired by you!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom