Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Marcy's bilateral TKR

My ROM is very good, but, I'm still working on strengthening, stairs and because I was bone on bone for years I over compensated in ways to get through movements. I've thrown my hips out of whack and my left knee is just not as strong as it should be...so, I'd like to continue PT to get stronger and try and relearn correct movement.

-M
 
Just be careful with strength exercises. Usually resistance or strength doesn't start until 3-4 months post op. I needed a lot of help with gait, so I can see how a bilateral would have issues.
 
Can I ask others...

How long did it take people who had bilateral knee replacements to be able to walk up and down the stairs foot over foot? I am going to be out of surgery seven weeks on Tuesday. I still have a lot of tenderness below my knee and just above my knee, I am guessing that is where the placement of my new knees is. Physical therapy is starting to concentrate on stairs and my left knee in particular has more tenderness and feels less strong to be able to participate in climbing stairs foot over a foot. Also, getting up from a seated position without using my hands puts a lot of strain on my new knees, would you say that is normal for this stage? Just trying to assess if I am weaker than normal or if this sounds about right.

My surgeon, when he and I first arranged my surgery told me he thought I could go back to work which is in a school, I am the school admin assistant at eight weeks. I saw his nurse practitioner last Tuesday and she thought that seemed pretty aggressive. I am still pretty stiff and I just think I might need another few weeks, making it more like 12ish weeks.

Hoping my stiffness starts to resolve soon. ROM in both knees us at 125...I have a straight leg extension at this point...I'm 49 years old...can't wait to feel more like me.
 
At not 2 months post op it's very normal to use arms to get up from a chair. I imagine it would put a great deal of pressure on your knees to get up without using upper body strength. Stairs will also come in time, but everyone reaches these milestones at different points in recovery. No two knees are the same.
 
I was at about 12 weeks before I could go up stairs foot over foot (using hand rail) but I also did not have stairs to use on a daily basis. It was 16 weeks or so that I could go down stairs reciprocally (using hand rail). At 5 months I could do both without hand rail, although I still sometimes grab it out of habit.

It took about 4 month to consistently be able to get up from sturdy chairs without needing my hands. I'm at almost 6 months and still need my hands if a seat is particularly low or super soft where you sink into it.
 
Can I ask others...

How long did it take people who had bilateral knee replacements to be able to walk up and down the stairs foot over foot? I am going to be out of surgery seven weeks on Tuesday. I still have a lot of tenderness below my knee and just above my knee, I am guessing that is where the placement of my new knees is. Physical therapy is starting to concentrate on stairs and my left knee in particular has more tenderness and feels less strong to be able to participate in climbing stairs foot over a foot. Also, getting up from a seated position without using my hands puts a lot of strain on my new knees, would you say that is normal for this stage? Just trying to assess if I am weaker than normal or if this sounds about right.

My surgeon, when he and I first arranged my surgery told me he thought I could go back to work which is in a school, I am the school admin assistant at eight weeks. I saw his nurse practitioner last Tuesday and she thought that seemed pretty aggressive. I am still pretty stiff and I just think I might need another few weeks, making it more like 12ish weeks.

Hoping my stiffness starts to resolve soon. ROM in both knees us at 125...I have a straight leg extension at this point...I'm 49 years old...can't wait to feel more like me.

MCS1267 we have 16 steps up to go to our condo. So I learned at the rehab facility how to get up the steps with the cane. I was home for about two weeks which would have been 4 weeks post surgery when I thought to myself I was developing some pretty bad habits (right leg was 4 week - left was 3). It was go up with the good knee and then with straight leg bring up the bad leg. All I kept thinking was that I was teaching my left leg not to be as strong as my right by my self thought and actions. So I stood at the bottom of the stairs and decided with the assistance of the hand rails I would go up like a "normal" person and I did. I had developed some hip hike and sideways action to get up and down with my arthritic knees so I made sure that would not be the case now I have new knees. It took another week for me to be able to go down the steps like a normal person. I look at the steps as part of my PT.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
I was cleared to drive at six weeks post surgery. I waited until I was seven weeks to actually do it. Everything is going along fine in that regard. Because I get stuff after I am sitting for a period of time or walking for a little bit, I don't venture out on my own to do anything huge. But, I did go and get my haircut the other day and did a quick errand after. I have been going for short walks around my neighborhood and still going to physical therapy.

My surgeon cleared me to return to work 'whenever I want' as from his standpoint all looks great. I'm going back May 8. My physical therapist and I have been talking and she really feels I need to gain more strength and I am still working on my gaIt...I was going to return 4-24, but I decided a couple of more weeks might do me good in continuing to work on my stamina.

It is amazing, but bad habits have been in place for so many years. Because of my bone on bone situation I used to have to tighten my backside very much to allow myself the ability to step forward. We are trying to work on reworking how my hips and back side are involved and my steps. It is so crazy to me. But, I can actually feel the difference when I really pay attention.

I guess things are happening inside concerning healing. In my left knee, right below my knee cap, on the interior side, I can feel something going on. Not pain...but I think I feel the newly implanted part when I lay on my side. Not noticing this same sensation on the other leg. Nothing feels painful, just feel something. my surgeon and I met at six weeks and everything looked great. So, I am not worried, just feels strange. Also, I'm back to sleeping on my belly...wondering if what I'm feeling is from pressure I'm putting in the front of my legs from my sleep position! I can't sleep on my back, on side...have tried everything...

My kids are off for April vacation starting today. Looking forward to hanging out with them and hopefully doing a few fun things, since my surgery took place during their February vacation and I was totally down for the count.

Hoping my stiffness continues to resolve a bit...that would be nice!

Amazing how much has changed for the good in just over seven weeks. I remember about five weeks ago feeling sort of defeated, everything was so stiff and the swelling and just general discomfort so if it all seemed overwhelming. When I lay in bed and I am not in pain at all, when I stand up and start walking and realize the old pain is gone and the current discomforts are changing day today as things continue to heal, I am so encouraged. Looking forward to the day when I say I wish I did this five years ago!

Enjoy your day.
 
I thought I could work on stamina, but when I returned to work part time at 12 weeks I was still exhausted. Do some cooking and freezing ahead of time (it can be part of your stamina work) so that you don't have to cook after a day's work for that week or so. I came home to rest, ice and elevate most days with little energy for anything else.
 
Thank you for the advice. I will absolutely do cooking for the freezer. Interestingly, I did that before my surgery and we are still eating things that I made. I still have soup, chicken cutlets, lasagna, chicken cacciatore in the freezer. But, I will do it again for my return to work.

The other day I attended a School related function for a couple of hours to kind of put myself into a crazy situation to see how I would feel when I came out of it. Happy to say I made it through and I definitely felt tired later that day, but I work in a school and I just wanted to see how I would feel being around lots of stimulation.

I will be just at 11 weeks out of surgery when I go back. I knew here everybody says at least 12 weeks plus, but I am going to see how it goes. I'll be icing/elevating at the end of my days I'm sure! Ugh.

❤️
 
That stimulation after being isolated for a while can be overwhelming. I'm glad it went well for you. I literally begged my OS to write the script for me to return to my first grade classroom (I had an inexperienced substitute). He agreed, but stipulated part time, 4 1/2 hours a day for 6 weeks. I definitely enjoyed being with my colleagues and students, but was whipped at the end of the morning. Because of the infection I was probably more tired than most and had just started bending my knee a month before I returned.
 
KarriB:

I am so sorry for your complications concerning the infection. I am not a teacher, I work in the front office. I am the front desk administrative assistant who everybody stops to see for everything. I love my job, but am living in reality...I know I'll be zapped. Truth is, I'm doing great...ROM is 125 in each knee...I'm riding my recumbent bike several times a week. My aches/pains are managed well with ice/Tylenol. It just feels like forever since my life last felt normal.

I appreciate your sharing. Thank you.
 
I thought you might work in a school office. Sounds like you'll do just fine going back. Take a few ice packs to ice through the day just in case. I found it hard to find time to ice, but often iced on the drive home.
 
I will bring ice packs and keep them in the freezer. I am also going to bring an exercise ball to keep under my desk to keep my feet on and roll it back-and-forth when I feel the need to move. My ride to and from school is only about 30 seconds, literally. So that will be an easy commute. I'll be tired, but I'll do it!
 
Stiffness???

Tomorrow, I'll be 8 weeks out from surgery. I have been stiff since day one of surgery, of course now it is a different (improved) level of stiffness than it was. I still am pretty stiff though...I literally get up and within a few minutes I can feel the stiffness settling in as I walk...The stiffness gets so bad if I stay up on my feet that it is difficult for me to bend my knees when I walk. That said, my range of motion when I am loose is 125°. I ice/elevate several times a day. I suspect I'm 'doing too much' (PT, cooking/empty dishwasher/gone to the grocery store a few times...I'm trying...)... Does my stiffness sound normal at this point or something I should be concerned about? Will it EVER resolve???
 
It will resolve, but it may take longer with the additional activity of work and ma be worse due to your activity. I think you should consider work your PT for now. A full day of work and all that entails is enough and chances are you'll feel the energy drain after working a full day. Go home in the evenings to rest, ice and elevate.
 
Hi KarriB...

I don't return to work for 3 more weeks. I realize having had both knees done, anytime I get up on my feet I am using my new knees equally and don't use a 'good knee' to lean on in any way. I am working with PT and have a session scheduled for tomorrow morning. I worked hard on Thursday with my physical therapist and when I was done, I realized I pushed myself too much and I swear I am still dealing with the aftermath. I worked too hard to do Easter for my family...I know I need to stop/rest and take care of myself...it's hard for me to remember to put myself on my priority list. I will request a more gentle session tomorrow. Getting tired of running to PT.

Thanks for listening.
 
I'm sorry, for some reason I thought you were going back to work soon. It's amazing how one session of PT can put you over the top. But why are you still having PT with a ROM of 125? Many are released from PT with a ROM like that. I left with 109 and continued to gain for a year with just every day living. That "hard work" is probably adding to your stiffness.
 
I completely agree with KarriB!
You don't need PT any more and doing it is probably adding to your stiffness.

If you stop PT, you won't lose the ROM you have already achieved.

As for taking care of yourself, this is your time, to pamper yourself and look after your knees, to give them the best possible chance of a great outcome.
Have you read this article?
Nurturing mother: how to let go and accept help
 
My gait, strength is the focus of my PT at this point...I agree my gait is screwed up with the way I'd have to position myself to get myself through my steps , but I'm afraid she's making me do things that is 'upsetting' what's trying to heal inside. She has had me working with a leg press weight machine, a rubber banding thingy that went around my ankles and I'm afraid this more advanced PT is too much for me. I don't know...I want to come along to my fullest potential, but I'm not sure I'm agreeing with what she's got me doing. Ugh.

I'm feeling particularly 'tender' above my knee and below it...especially from seated position to standing...thinking/rethinking PT.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom