Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Marcy's bilateral TKR

Thank you. The pain meds are on their way. I'm so excited to go home.
 
It is sometimes good 'medicine' just to be home. I agree. Hopefully you will have someone to check I on you to make certain you are doing ok. Continue to rest, take meds and ice following the guidance here.
 
Marcy your doing great for a Bilateral! How are things going at home?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My husband and 2 boys came to pick me up at 10 this morning. The ride home was ok. Got home...got tired and I'm resting...feeling secure and safe at home. OT really helped get me ready. Icing now...I'm used to doing a lot of walking...at home I'm sort of doing laps around the house. I'm icing now, as I'm feeling stiff...but once I get up, I'll do some stretches/exercises.

Tomorrow, I'll hear from my outpatient PT... Also have to have a blood draw tomorrow for my INR, to confirm my Coumadin dosage needs no adjustments (I'll go every mon and Thurs for this).

I have my meds...ice machine and a comfy bed...got my exercises to do...I tried my recumbent bike today...I can get my feet around slowly and get a good stretch...feeling pretty darn good all things considered.

Bilateral knee replacements are NOT for sissies, people...I'm so proud of what I've accomplished in less than 2 weeks. Great work ahead to do...but it's all good!!! Proud of all of you too.

❤️
 
You know, you always have the option of home health services. At least for a while at the beginning it might be easier on you to have the medical folks come to you instead of you making car trips.
 
I agree with Jamie, home services may be much easier with a bilateral as going to all these appointments will be extremely tiring. I had weekly blood draws done by a visiting nurse and my dad had home PT for the entirety of his THR recovery. He never had to go to out patient PT which was nice because getting in/out of the car was difficult.
 
I made a decision to go to outpatient PT. I had been in an inpatient facility for 9 days and my PT worked winderfully with me and I felt really good in her hands. The facility that I am going to outpatient is part of the umbrella of the inpatient facility, so I decided I want to stay with them. My husband is currently out of work and he is my chauffeur. I had my PT evaluation yesterday, my range of motion is currently 96 and 99. My flexion is almost 0 in my left leg and about three in my right leg. Yesterday was two weeks out of surgery. Currently, I am able to sit on my recumbent bike, rock the petals back and forthto loosen up my knees when they are stiff, and I have had a couple of gentle workouts that I am able to get the pedals all the way around slowly and without pain. Of course, I am taking it really slow and easy.

Today I have a home day...I'll rest, work on a few stretches that feel good...and ice/rest and take it easy. I haven't been upstairs yet since I've been home...we made me a bedroom on the first floor for now (loving it!)...I might practice stairs today if I feel like it.

Amazing how everyday things are feeling better...I expected significantly. More pain than I'm feeling...I'm taking pain meds of course...I thought this whole thing would be much worse! My least favorite part is the TED stockings!

Enjoy your day.
 
Glad to hear you are doing well. I think you will be glad you did both knees at the same time.

Before my surgery, I thought the hardest part would be pain. But when it is well managed, the most difficult part of the recovery (for me) was the lack of independence and the body not being ready (weakness and fatigue) to do things when the mind was.
 
Yes, after the first week the mind blowing pain is gone and the stiffness pain is present. The boredom was rough for me as it just seemed to go on forever.
 
It is a bit hard to sit around...I have 2 boys (11 & 14) and my husband is doing everything and I'm grateful...(I want to pick up my kitchen! I can't...I just keep turning around and exiting the room. Can't stand the clutter!!!)

In my rehab, I had a schedule to keep to...I'm trying to motivate myself to spend time practicing the at home things that were suggested. Listening to my body...staying tuned into my fatigue levels..
 
Well, just remember that in this first month your knees need to spend the majority of the time elevated. I did very little that first month, walked around the house a bit, folded laundry (someone else did it and put it away), made simple meals for myself at breakfast and lunch while someone else did dinner. A schedule is good, but don't spend too much time on your feet otherwise you may lengthen your recovery time by increasing the swelling. This time is about you and recovering from major surgeries so that you may enjoy doing the things you want to do now. It'll take time, but everything worthwhile usually does.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-tkrs.14334/
 
Thank you for your kind insight. I am in bed a lot. It's hard to sit still...but I am trying to be 'good'.

I'm going to see if I can sit comfortably and get out of our recliner today. This could be a new 'big deal' in my day.
 
Getting out of bed and into the recliner may help you feel a bit normal and part of the family. Most everyone requires extra patience to rest, elevate, ice but for now the knees are the boss. :yes:
 
Yup! They are certainly my boss. I'm sitting on my recumbent bike just moving the pedals...my knee feels a comfortable stretch and i love the way it feels. I follow with rest/ice and am truly amazed I can do this at this stage.

Bilateral knee replacements is not for sissies!!!!! XO
 
I'm amazed that you can sit on your recumbent bike this early. I tried sitting on mine at 3 weeks, and it was too low. I practically needed a forklift to get me back up. It wasn't until almost week 5 that I could get up from the seat on my own. However, once I could use it, I loved it for keeping my knees loose and helping gently stretch the bend.
 
I went to an inpatient rehab and I was just 4 days out and could barely standup due to stiffness/swelling...they introduced me to a machine that gently had me pushing pedals back/forth without pain and when I got off I noticed a looser feeling...the machine is called a new step. A couple of days before I went home, they told me I could sort of simulate the feeling I have that machine on my recumbent bike, so they started working with me on that at the rehab center. By accident, I did a full rotation and it surprised me, but I was able to do it. So, being very careful I am able to work a little bit on my recumbent bike. My seat is just right for me to get up and down.
 
Big day...so I work in a school and my son attends at this school. Went to see A fifth grade play. I was nervous walking into the school, just wanted to be sure I felt safe and secure, everything went well. Amazed at 17 days post surgery I was able to go and sit for an hour performance and enjoy.

❤️
 
Wow! That's great! I didn't do anything for the first month. You'll probably need to take it very easy tomorrow.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom