March Musketeers 2013 - Are You Having Hip Surgery in March?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My surgery has been scheduled for 18th March.I have been having hip problems for over 2 years but as the X-rays showed minimal deterioration and the MRI diagnosed a labral tear I had an arthroscopy in July 2012 which was ineffective as the surgeon found a lot of arthritis including areas of bare bone. The latest X-ray shows no cartilage left so the only option is hip replacement.At 56 I am young to have the surgery but I just want my life back and be able to walk pain free again especially as hiking was our passion. Would like to hear from others in a similar position so I am delighted to join the March Musketeers !

Hi Kim,

My story sounds similar to yours. I am 47 (too young for THR they say) operation date is 6th March.
 
Hi Gayle welcome to this site which you will find invaluable for information and support. Yes 47 is young to have a hip replacement but as I found by reading posts from others that there are many people your age and even younger going through this surgery. The important thing is that the op should get rid of your pain and allow you to regain the quality of life you deserve. It's great that you don't have long to wait and I look forward to reading your threads. Kim
 
hi everyone...my name is steve and my hip replacement is scheduled for march 25...cant wait to have it done but i do have lots of questions regarding cost (i am straight medicare so there is the copay), possible leg length disparity after surgery, what med equipment will i need...and more...but i am really happy to have found this site and looking forward to contributing and sharing...right now i am interested in the best ways to use all the info here
 
[Bonesmart.org] March Musketeers 2013 - Are You Having Hip Surgery in March?
Steve, so pleased you have joined us here on the forum. Please start your own thread in the hip replacement pre op area. You will see a black oblong at the top right hand side of the page that says "Post New Thread"--when you click on it, it will open a title box. You determine the title you want for your thread and then go down to the dialogue box and proceed to tell us a little about yourself or you can copy and paste what you have written here.

The advantage of having your own thread is there is a place for you to express your concerns and ask your questions, and all us other BoneSmarties can respond directly to you there and can always find you to post to. Members will not necessarily visit this thread that often, and the purpose of this thread is to just post your surgery date.

Looking forward to your first post in your thread where I can give you links to Library articles that will answer so many of your questions.
 
Woo hoo! I'm going to be a March Musketeer! 5th of March for me.
 
Welcome Octopus nice to have a Kiwi on board ! The 5th March will soon be here Regards Kim
 
Welcome to our latest March Musketeers :)

Feel free to post in this thread and I will add you to my list, however please start up a thread of your own in the Pre Op Hip Section and share with us your journey towards a hip replacement :)

1 Mar 13 bellaroma and smrt2run
4 mar 13 shoesister and ByGosh
5 Mar 13 jojouk1983 and octopus
6 Mar 13 ukisgr8
7 Mar 13 mrpounds
11 Mar 13 Duffer71
18 Mar 13 Kim22 and Xanthe
19 Mar Teacat
21 Mar 13 Kazoo
25 Mar 13 susanlanc and stevethedream
26 Mar 13
28 Mar 13 Helen44
 
Hello everyone!

I am still waiting for final approval from insurance, but my surgery is scheduled for March 12. Kim22 I have cried so much over this hip! I had a double mastectomy and reconstruction... a 14 hour surgery in December 2011 and dealt with that very well! But, I think the daily pain and limited mobility has really got to me.

This surgery cannot come quick enough so I can get back to living life and being happy again!

Good luck everyone!
Valarie
 
Hi Valarie,

Welcome to The March Musketeers.Gosh you have had to deal with so much and now this dreadful pain of osteoarthritis which is so debilitating. You obviously have a great positive attitude which will get you through your hip replacement surgery. I was told at the Preop Education Session last week that the success of the recovery is about 75% due to a positive attitude on the part of the patient so you are going to do really well and will soon get your life back. I note that you are only 6days ahead of me so I will be watching out for you.
Regards Kim
 
Thanks Kim22!!!

I agree about the positive attitude. I think once I have the insurance approval there will be no stopping me!

Where in the UK are you? I live in Virginia Beach, VA... but as you can see from my avatar, I am from Wales. I moved to the US when I was 26.

I will be watching out for you, too.... lets get our lives back! :egypdance:
 
Hi Valarie ,

I meant to ask you about your Welsh connections. I am from the Northeast of England in County Durham. I hope you get your Insurance approval very soon then you can go ahead with preparations.I need to have a trip to Boots at the weekend to buy the small items that I need such as grabbers, sock putter ons and a long handled shoe horn. The larger stuff is provided by the physios and OT Dept and I will get a home visit about 10 days before surgery.
I have been encouraged today as I met a lady at Slimming World who had a hip replacement a year ago by the same surgeon as me and she is really enjoying life again. She came out of hospital on one stick and was walking without any sticks by her 6 week check. This site is full of inspirational recovery stories for us to read and I find the forum very supportive.
My goals are to walk again pain free and to be able to walk out with my new baby grandson in his pram as so far I have not been able to do so as well as enjoying shopping trips instead of constantly looking for somewhere to sit We used to love hiking and walking on the beaches until I developed this hip pain two and a half years ago.

What part of Wales are you from ?
 
Excuse me for asking this but what do people from the UK think about William Wallace? Reading about him and watching movies about him is very fascinating. Any opinion that is different from what one reads or sees about him? sorry, just curious
 
I am from Merthyr Tydfil in South Wales. I hope to go back home in the next few years. It seems the older I get, the more I want to go home for a visit.

Yes, I need to get a few of the same things. But, just going to the grocery store leaves me in agony. I can't wait to post and read, our inspirational recovery stories. :wink: My goals are similar to yours... I just want to walk pain free. I used to love going on long walks listening to music on my MP3. I've had hip pain for 5-6 years, but shots always worked well for me until after the mastectomy. For some reason, they no longer worked and my hip got much worse. Maybe it was the inactivity after that surgery. Regardless, I'm determined to get my life back!
 
ukisgr8 I didn't learn much about Scottish history since I grew up in Wales. But, the little I know about him came from the movie Braveheart :)
 
@Ukisgy8 Like Valarie we didn't cover Scottish history in school so my knowledge is also limited to the film Braveheart starring Mel Gibson I think. Kim
 
Valarie@ It will be wonderful for you to go back to visit Wales with a new, pain free hip. You will be able to hike in the hills and walk on the beautiful beaches.Something lovely you can aim for
 
Welcome to our latest March Musketeers :)

Feel free to post in this thread and I will add you to my list, however please start up a thread of your own in the Pre Op Hip Section and share with us your journey towards a hip replacement :)

1 Mar 13 bellaroma and smrt2run
4 mar 13 shoesister and ByGosh
5 Mar 13 jojouk1983 and octopus
6 Mar 13 ukisgr8
7 Mar 13 mrpounds
11 Mar 13 Duffer71
12 Mar 13 walkagainV
18 Mar 13 Kim22 and Xanthe
19 Mar Teacat
21 Mar 13 Kazoo
25 Mar 13 susanlanc and stevethedream
26 Mar 13
28 Mar 13 Helen44 and Bionic woman
 
Welcome walkagainV I have brought the list forward and added your surgery date..

The pre surgery pain is so debilitating hang in there, not long now, you will be thrilled to be rid of the bone-on-bone pain.

I look forward to following your journey and sharing each and every milestone with you :)
 
Poppet.... thank you so much!

Just finding this forum and knowing I'm not alone has made me feel so much better already!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom