Guest viewing is limited

March Musketeers 2013 - Are You Having Hip Surgery in March?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Jojouk,

Welcome to Bonesmart and the March Musketeers . You will get a lot of good advice and support from this site.I am having a Right THR on 18th March and will be glad to be free of bone on bone pain and to get my life back. I see you are also from the UK like me. I hope to hear from you again
 
Hi Susanlanc,
I used to swim a mile every morning and walk the dogs a mile every night, more on the weekends. I was just diagnosed with OA last March and it's been all downhill since. No more walking since Fall, miminal pool now- just doggie paddling around. It was very depressing to me until I was told that the reason I was in so much pain was that my hips were so bad that they needed to be replaced. I couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting better on the anti-inflammatories, and with physical therapy. I was getting worse, with groin pain, back pain, knee pain, bursitis in my outer hip areas, etc. I was really upset. But when I accepted that it was my condition degenerating and there was an answer - it was my hip cartlidge getting more deteriorated, I understood and felt less frantic. I realize that I need surgery and hopefully that'll improve my pain and my life.
So I understand how you feel. It's unfortunate, but it could be worse. Good luck with your surgery! We'll both do well, I know.
 
Welcome to our March Musketeers :)

I will maintain this list so that our soon to be hippies can see who their surgical buddies are going to be.

Feel free to post in this thread and I will add you to my list, however please start up a thread of your own in the Pre Op Hip Section and share with us your journey towards a hip replacement :)

1 Mar 13 bellaroma
5 Mar 13 jojouk1983
4 Mar 13 shoesister and ByGosh
7 Mar 13 mrpounds
11 Mar 13 Duffer71
18 Mar 13 Kim22
25 Mar 13 susanlanc
 
Welcome susanlanc and jojouk1983 and mrpounds I have added you to the March Musketeers list... tic toc your life free of bone on bone pain is just around the corner :)
 
mrpounds so sorry your surgery was cancelled, I wish for the weeks to go by quickly for you.
 
Hello, I am new to the forum..I'm having a total hip replacement on the 28th March. At 44 years of age, I'm a bit scared!
 
Hi Helen a very warm welcome to Bonesmart. I have been a member for about 3 weeks and feel so much more informed and confident about my operation since joining . The support you get from others in the same boat is amazing and you will learn so much from the folks on the recovery side too.
I am just ahead of you as my surgery date is 18th March I am having a RTHR. I look forward to hearing more about you on your thread.
 
[Bonesmart.org] March Musketeers 2013 - Are You Having Hip Surgery in March?
Helen44, so pleased you have joined us here on the forum.

Please start your own thread in the hip replacement pre op area. You will see a black oblong at the top right hand side of the page that says "Post New Thread"--when you click on it, it will open a title box. You determine the title you want for your thread and then to down to the dialogue box and proceed to tell us a little about yourself or you can copy and paste what you have written here.

The advantage of having your own thread is there is a place for you to express your concerns and ask your questions, and all us other BoneSmarties can respond directly to you there and can always find you to post to. Members will not necessarily visit this thread that often, and the purpose of this thread is to just post your surgery date.

Looking forward to your first post in your thread where I can give you links to Library articles that will answer so many of your questions.
[Bonesmart.org] March Musketeers 2013 - Are You Having Hip Surgery in March?
 
[Bonesmart.org] March Musketeers 2013 - Are You Having Hip Surgery in March?
Kazoo, so pleased you have joined us here on the forum. Please start your own thread in the hip replacement pre op area. You will see a black oblong at the top right hand side of the page that says "Post New Thread"--when you click on it, it will open a title box. You determine the title you want for your thread and then to down to the dialogue box and proceed to tell us a little about yourself or you can copy and paste what you have written here.

The advantage of having your own thread is there is a place for you to express your concerns and ask your questions, and all us other BoneSmarties can respond directly to you there and can always find you to post to. Members will not necessarily visit this thread that often, and the purpose of this thread is to just post your surgery date.

Looking forward to your first post in your thread where I can give you links to Library articles that will answer so many of your questions.
[Bonesmart.org] March Musketeers 2013 - Are You Having Hip Surgery in March?
 
Welcome Kazoo; and Helen44; this forum is great and there are folks of all different ages to support and inform. We are never to old or too young to rid ourselves of pain that keeps us from living life to its fullest. I had my left hip done in October and will have my right done on 1 March and while I am still nervous and do not especially like having surgery. It is wll worth small discomfort in the meantime. I am looking forward to kayaking agiain this summer
 
March 6th, 2013

Anterior LTHR

2 Cam impingements on the femor head did a lot of damage in the hip capsule so the only option is replacement.

Excited and nervous
 
My surgery is scheduled for March 19th. That is, if I don't back out. I'm so scared! I can't believe I'm having this surgery at 41. People I know ask me why? how did this happen? Like I could have prevented it. I wish I knew what to tell them.
 
My surgery is scheduled for March 19th. That is, if I don't back out. I'm so scared! I can't believe I'm having this surgery at 41. People I know ask me why? how did this happen? Like I could have prevented it. I wish I knew what to tell them.
I hear ya Teacat! We are in the same boat! I didn't always show people I was in pain, but after awhile, I couldn't hide it anymore. I am super terrified!! :scary: BUT, I keep thinking about how I am going to feel after, totally awesome!! My husband got made because I told him the "what if!?" The what if I don't wake up! Oh well, that my brain sometimes, but I know I will be fine. Surgery countdown in.......13 hours!! :yes!:
 
My husband got made because I told him the "what if!?

Ah yes, the 'what if' game. I play that game with my husband too. He counters me and talks about 'when I'm able to do x". I focus on the negative and he focuses on the positive. It's not the anesthesia I'm worried about, it's the process of recovery. I keep thinking I'll never be the same again and you know what? I won't, I'll be better! You will be better! And we won't have joint pain - YEA! Sending good vibes your way! I'll be thinking of you tomorrow!
 
Mine is March 1st. So excited to finally be done with the pain and limp.
 
[Bonesmart.org] March Musketeers 2013 - Are You Having Hip Surgery in March?
smrt2run,
so pleased you have joined us here on the forum. Please start your own thread in the hip replacement pre op area. You will see a black oblong at the top right hand side of the page that says "Post New Thread"--when you click on it, it will open a title box. You determine the title you want for your thread and then go down to the dialogue box and proceed to tell us a little about yourself or you can copy and paste what you have written here.

The advantage of having your own thread is there is a place for you to express your concerns and ask your questions, and all us other BoneSmarties can respond directly to you there and can always find you to post to. Members will not necessarily visit this thread that often, and the purpose of this thread is just post your surgery date.

Looking forward to your first post in your thread where I can give you links to Library articles that will answer so many of your questions.
 
If you're having surgery in the month of March, please post your date and any other information you'd like to share in this thread.​
​
​
Hello my name is Roy. I use DocWatson because it is my best pal Watson's name, and he is my dog.​
​
I am a US Army Veteran and served 3 years in the Army before having knee pain. Long story short, I got a medical discharge in 1989 due to being diagnosed with Legg-Calve-Perthes in my right hip, and the discharge stated my time in service has aggravated the hip condition. I really didn't have problems back in 1989 with my hip, but my knee was always hurting, and now I understand that is what is referred to as "referred pain."​
​
Fast forward to 2013 - OUCH! OUCH! OUCH! - Yes, my hip feels like it is about to snap in half any day, with very much pain, unbelievable pain. The VA Hospital in Dallas is my only medical care now since I have not been able to work at gainful employment since 2009. Other complications to my lower lumbar discs and sciatica in the right leg have caused further pain issues. After 3 years and 3 orthopedic consultations with 2 different surgeons at the VA, and they now have decided I am ready for surgery and it seems on March 19 the prep work begins, EKG, x-rays, and lab work. Unfortunately this is a government run facility and they have a ton of ridiculous rules and regulations designed to protect them, and believe me they are not there to protect the veteran patient.​
​
I am not getting answers to my many questions from anyone at the VA, and am often told, "Your surgeon will discuss those things with you just before your surgery."​
​
I had an MRI done, finally, back in late Nov. 2012, something the VA never does on hips until surgery time. I have had an MRI done in 1997 and it seems my hip is getting progressively worse. I am 53 years old now.​
I may post the MRI and my latest X-ray report from December 2012 and that may help others here to provide specific information, but I'm not sure that is allowed.​

This is a list of some questions I have and am adding to them as I grow closer to March and do a lot more research on this. By the way, I am very blessed to have found out about this forum via WebMD.com Forums.​
​
1. How many hip surgeries are performed each year here at the VA Dallas, for the year 2010, 11, 12 etc?
2. What is the fatality rate here at the VA Dallas hospital compared to national averages of VA and private hospitals?
3. What percentage has complications at the VA Dallas compared to national averages?
4. Which manufacturer hip parts will be used for the type of surgery I will be needing?
5. How much time will it take to recover after the surgery before being able to go home? How long will I stay in the hospital after the surgery?
6. What type of incision will be performed?
7. How long will the surgery take?
9. What is the typical time period for therapy after the short-term recovery is completed?
10. What are some common problems with performing surgery on the type of hip I have?
11. What is the type of procedure being performed: Femoral Head Ostectomy, Excision Arthroplasty of the femoral head and neck, Girdlestone's Operation, or Femoral Head and Neck Ostectomy?

Thank you folks for any input and replies. I've never belonged to a forum before so I am looking to learn about this and much more about hip replacements.

Peace,

Roy
 
Welcome to our new March Musketeers :)

I will maintain this list so that our soon to be hippies can see who their surgical buddies are going to be.

Feel free to post in this thread and I will add you to my list, however please start up a thread of your own in the Pre Op Hip Section and share with us your journey towards a hip replacement :)

1 Mar 13 bellaroma and smrt2run
4 mar 13 shoesister and ByGosh
5 Mar 13 jojouk1983
6 Mar 13 ukisgr8
7 Mar 13 mrpounds
11 Mar 13 Duffer71
18 Mar 13 Kim22
19 Mar Teacat
21 Mar 13 Kazoo
25 Mar 13 susanlanc
28 Mar 13 Helen44
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom