Guest viewing is limited

TKR March 8/22 RTKR Excited for the next step!

A mighty achievement, Ed; welcome home.
 
Oh my...Axx, such a heartfelt and touching account of your journey. Loved it!
Bravo for a job well done! :yay:
@Axx72
 
This trip has taught me to always be thankful for what I have because you really never know whats around the next corner of life. I appreciate your interest and support:)
 
Really appreciate you posting your most recent adventure. I'm five weeks post-op from a RTKR. Seeing your progress is very motivational right now as I work through the early stages of recovery. It's so easy to get stuck focusing on the "here and now".
Thank you!
 
@Cycle-Path good on ya, I love it! I'm so glad my journey has given you some inspiration. I believe that if you put your mind to it we can accomplish our goals. I like breaking my journey into small steps so you get a bit of joy from each little advancement in recovery. Each little win counts more than we will ever realize. Try to be realistic about where you want to go and the 'Here and Now' becomes easier to deal with. Keep on goin!
 
Love hearing this story and I’m so happy you made it back. I’m on the edge of getting a tkr after 20years as a firefighter. I’ve lived a very active life and have been an avid surfer up till 8 months ago when I blew out my medial meniscus with a complex tear that went to both roots. I still swim a bunch and have stayed in shape so hopefully that helps with my recovery. I personally have seen a coworker come back from tkr so I know it can be done. But I am definitely scared.
 
Hi, @getpastthis .... welcome to BoneSmart. There are tons of threads here on the forum that you can read so you can see what others have been through with their surgery and recovery. As a Basic Member you can use our search feature to locate threads on topics that interest you. But if you're feeling anxious about your upcoming surgery, you might to take advantage of our premium services as a member of the Insiders Club. The small subscription fee allows you to start threads (Basic Members cannot do that) and receive one-on-one guidance and support from our experienced BoneSmart Staff. Insiders also have access to our BoneSmart Library that contains hundreds of helpful articles.
 
@getpastthis I have to say getting my RTKR was like a new lease on life…. Not sugar coating it…. recovery was physically and mentally exhausting on myself and my family. I’d do it again in a heartbeat if I had to. I believe that you can succeed too!

Since last fall I have started a bike repair business in Calgary and am embarking on another Bikepacking trip… the Canadian Section of the Great Divide, running from Jasper to the Canada/US border then back up through the Livingston range of the South Alberta Rockies to Calgary, my home. Life is exciting!

Every now and then I return to this wonderful forum, supported by wonderful people, I am amazed at all the lives that have been touched by the kindness of the volunteers on Bonesmart. Other than a bit of experience and a few successes to share I have minimal knowledge but I pray to provide a little hope and encouragement so others can see what is possible with perseverance and a positive mental attitude.

RideOn:biking:
 
So good to hear from you, @Axx72 and to know you're doing well. Your new business venture sounds exciting. As much as you enjoy cycling, this sounds like a good fit for you. Your comments are always welcome on the forum. You have a great no-nonsense way of explaining things that resonates with others. Maybe we'll see some photos from your upcoming trip.
 
Great to hear from you. Still love to peruse and comment occasionally. I will definitely have a few photos to to share when I get back.
[Bonesmart.org] March 8/22 RTKR Excited for the next step!
 
Hi Axx,
Such a nice surprise to read your update! It's wonderful to hear from you, know you're doing well and embarking on another adventure soon. Congrats on your new business also. We're happy you stop back now and again leaving inspirational posts and general encouragement for others. Your thoughtful and kind words in regard to the forum are appreciated. I hope you have a lovely Summer and your next bike trip is all you want it to be.
Stay safe and enjoy!
@Axx72
 
What a great update, @Axx72! Thanks for continuing to share your journey with us. I know it will give hope and inspiration to others.

Your planned bikepacking trip sounds amazing! We look forward to photos. :wink:
 
797.5km, 49:35hrs, 10,484m ascent. Over 7 wonderful days, my friend and I capped off our Flathead Loop bike packing tour with a century ride home to Calgary. We experienced many adventures, all amazing and some that will not be ‘do-overs’. Visited my fair share of ‘WOW!’ vistas. Shared an absolutely amazing ride with an amazing friend who was willing to put up with my bull the entire time. I can’t say it’s not without a tear in my eye to be going back to regular life as both a Calgary Firefighter and bicycle mechanic. Considering how much physical progress I’ve made since getting my knee replaced in 2022 and the opportunity to enjoy the sport of bikepacking in Canada, the most amazing country of the world, I am grateful for my experiences and the friends I’m able to share them with. Hmmm wonder what the plan is next year…..
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] March 8/22 RTKR Excited for the next step!
    IMG_5133.webp
    115.5 KB · Views: 35
  • [Bonesmart.org] March 8/22 RTKR Excited for the next step!
    IMG_5121.webp
    81.4 KB · Views: 38
  • [Bonesmart.org] March 8/22 RTKR Excited for the next step!
    IMG_5235.webp
    37.3 KB · Views: 34
  • [Bonesmart.org] March 8/22 RTKR Excited for the next step!
    IMG_5192.webp
    86.2 KB · Views: 46
  • [Bonesmart.org] March 8/22 RTKR Excited for the next step!
    IMG_5417.webp
    47.8 KB · Views: 37
  • [Bonesmart.org] March 8/22 RTKR Excited for the next step!
    IMG_5401.webp
    52.9 KB · Views: 40
How great to hear from you and your fantastic knee! The photos are gorgeous and I really appreciate you posting them. I lived in Anchorage, Alaska for 4 years when I was a kid and I know the grandeur of that part of the world. You’re lucky to be able to enjoy it with a good friend.
 
Thank you for the update on what can be done with a new knee! Way to go!
 
Really inspirational post. Great pictures!
 
I needed to read this with my surgery due on Monday. Thank you for your honesty and for your service as a firefighter.
I wish you many more adventures and it’s good to know what can be done.
 
I needed to read this with my surgery due on Monday. Thank you for your honesty and for your service as a firefighter.
I wish you many more adventures and it’s good to know what can be done.
You can do it! I believe we can be our own worst critic or our own best inspiration! Focusing our approach and successes on every small challenge throughout our recovery adventure can help temper the human impatience towards healing and let us celebrate those little “wins” that get us to our big goal of a fulfilling life. Perseverance will pay off!:egypdance:
 
Back online with bit of a Calgary update with the fall weather starting to turn. This time of year, with the onset of the cooler months, I usually mourn the end of summer but this year was so full with activity I felt like I did not leave anything on the table. Looking forward to winter and a bit of skitouring and fat tire biking.

Summer 2025 was filled with many exciting days. My wife of 29 years got a big healing boost from her back injury last year which was limiting her physically. We did some early year camping and then in the fall, travelled up the Banff/Jasper Icefields parkway in Alberta BC over a period of 3 weeks. We were able to enjoy many hikes, cycling rides and days just relaxing in camp. Returning to an area you have visited many times and exploring it without having to worry about a schedule was totally the best way to experience it. Dragging a bicycle around with me on my travels, I experienced many different trails and roads in Alberta and BC. What a beautiful world we live in :)

Since my knee replacement in 2022, I have cycled around 16,000 km between bikepacking, mountain, road and winter biking. Having a passion in this journey has been instrumental in dealing with the mental and physical aspects I have had to face. Not everyone has an opportunity like this but anyone can develop it if they really want it. With so many interruptions, negative media and distractions in the world, simplifying life and not buying into the craziness can really help you find peace and enjoyment in the little things. So much to be thankful for.

Ride On!!:bicycle1:
 
Wonderful update, @Axx72! You inspire us all with your biking journeys. Keep 'em coming!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom