Revision TKR Makoplasty at 26

Both these surgeons are ones we typically will list in our recommendations, so they are both good choices to talk with. I do note, though, that Dr. Windsor has a particular interest in working with younger patients, so he may be the better fit for you. Since you've met with both, can you tell me, does Dr. Marwin also do a lot of work with younger patients?
 
@Jamie I'm not sure. I'm a unique case so I don't think either of them are taking my age into consideration. So can you comment on the skill set of either? I just want to make sure I'm choosing the best surgeon.
 
Sorry, but I cannot tell you anything specific about their practice as I've never met either of them. I'm in Kansas City.

When working with a surgeon who specializes in younger patients, it's not that the doctor would "take your age into consideration." This means the doctor is used to working with patients who are younger and who generally have a more demanding and active lifestyle than folks who are in mid-life or beyond. He would be more likely to relate to your concerns as a 26-year-old.

These specialists see nothing but "unique" cases, so please try not to worry about this. I know it's different when the case is YOU and I agree it's important to find a good surgeon. Either of these gentlemen and the HHS system are all good. Your best bet is to meet with both of them and pick the one you feel most comfortable with. Take a short list of questions with you and compare the answers you get. Trust your judgement and maintain an open communication with the surgeon so that you get your concerns addressed quickly.
 
@Jamie Thank you for the insights. I do appreciate everyones advice. Thanks @Celle. I also wanted to ask if anyone has insights into which prosthesis are the best or have proven longevity. I have decided to go with the hinged per my surgeons advice, but want to open the dialogue to choosing a device with him. The surgeon is at HSS, so they have access to use any brand to cater to the patient. I'm sure this isn't the best criteria, but when looking at pictures of Zimmers product vs Smith and Nephew the Smith and Nephew just looks a lot sturdier! Also, @Josephine has had proven success with the Smith and Nephew, but I haven't heard of anyone using Zimmer or any other brand than Smith and Nephew.

Thanks.
 
I also wanted to ask if anyone has insights into which prosthesis are the best or have proven longevity. I have decided to go with the hinged per my surgeons advice, but want to open the dialogue to choosing a device with him.
Leave the choice of device to your surgeon.

The most important factor for success is not the type of device, but the skill of your surgeon.
If you trust him, trust him also to choose the best device for your knee.
 
Hi kneedude1. Reading your initial post, it must be a difficult transition from playing sports at a relatively high standard to not being able to at all. The future for your activities, as recommended or warned against by my surgeon when I asked: Hiking: fine but nothing too strenuous for the first twelve months. Cycling and waking, both fine for the new knee. Surfing: I didn’t bother with that one, not much surfing done here in the UK ! Skiing : he warned me it can put the knee under serious pressure but said it’s entirely up to me but it’s not something he’d recommend or attempt himself.
Hope all goes well with your recovery. You’ll get loads of support and good advice from this site.
 
@pumpkin thanks for this. How can I read about @Roy Gardiner 's knee? Has he posted anything regarding his experience that I could use as a potential baseline? More of a question on how to navigate this forum..
 
@pumpkin and @Celle thank you to you both. Do you know any others that have a hinged and not just a stem? Seems that Roy doesn't have a hinge which I'm sure has a different expectation.
 
Hi,

My history and various contributions here can be accessed from my sig (below) and I'll be glad to help in whatever way possible. My TKRs have 'long stems' which the surgeon used for 'no scientific reason'. He is a bit (!) of a maverick, but an excellent surgeon.

My experience is rather different from yours; as far as I can deduce, you have been the victim of incompetence beyond description. How could the original surgeon have got it so wrong? I wonder if it's actionable?

What I would have suggested is what in fact you've done; go far away from your first surgeon and consult the best experts you can find.

Why have they advised a hinged knee?

Good luck.
 
Kneedude1,
We don't have a lot of people posting with problems that have a hinged knee. I think that in itself is a good sign about hinged knees.
 
In the past, we did have a Forum Adviser who had a hinged knee and I know she was very happy with it.
 
Hi everyone,

I was hoping you could give me some advice on why my patella is hurting so badly. I have attached my recent x ray to this. I think it is maltracking. If you agree do you know how this is managed? Like I said my knee has been put into valgus by the old knee replacement. The revision will return me back to my natural varus state. So I'm hoping that will get the tracking back to normal again. Also wondering if perhaps there is any malalignment of the implant.
 
@Celle. Here you go! This is the only image I have because I took the picture with my phone after the x ray

[Bonesmart.org] Makoplasty at 26
 
I was hoping you could give me some advice on why my patella is hurting so badly. Wondering if perhaps there is any malalignment of the implant.
No significant malalignment but I can tell you that it looks like you have a fracture in the patella!

[Bonesmart.org] Makoplasty at 26
 
Fortunately not. I have a barpartite patella. Surgery is on Monday.. wish me luck. I pray that this saga will come to a pleasant end. I think I'm going to avoid any physical therapy for at least 8 weeks (except for ROM stuff) to let everything take a break and heal. Can build muscle later.

Any advice on preventing scar tissue?
 
Kneedude1,
Wishing you good luck on Monday!
Go slow with ROM, swelling is what blocks ROM in the early days. Pushing for ROM only causes swelling which blocks your ROM.
Here is a gentle ROM activity you can do.
Heel slides and how to do them
All the best,
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom