TKR Macknit's recovery thread

Warning! Whining ahead:

I have been very twitchy for all 5 weeks. I was/am a very active person and pre-op would take a tramadol when my husband and I would do our 5 mile walks twice a week, so I could manage with the knee pain I had then. While working I would then do 20-40 minute walks....However, when I hit my brick wall of RTKR surgery I saw a huge upswing in my restless leg syndrome....which was diagnosed pre-surgery. The hard part was that all of my limbs and body have become twitchy (this really aggravated the knee pain in those first few weeks.:sad:) My sleep Dr prescribed medicine, but it aggravated my insomnia, so I stopped...she also said that since I was so active, the sudden stop in activity increases RLS. Talk about a conundrum!!

The frustrating part now is that I can do more exercising, but any standing or walking of more than 15 minutes I literally feel the swelling start up in my knee. So, I try to do everything in 10 minute segments, but that isn't very much time....needless to say, even though I do get out 2-3 x per week for PT or grocery shopping with a scooter, I really have the cabin fever and frustration going on also! Hence I keep joining the ODIC like I'm addicted. I also am getting a very sore bum from all the sitting...

Are there any more suggestions out there to assist with this need to be active/can't be active see-saw that I'm on? :good-bad:
 
The one thing to remember that your doctor didn't mention is that RLS isn't actually a leg problem, it starts as a brain glitch in the dopamine system. Maybe you could google up foods and things that will increase dopamine levels and see if that helps? I've also noticed that if I carefully avoid refined sugar or too many simple carbs after about 3pm, then I have many fewer problems. That might be worth playing with until you can solve the real problem of not enough activity.

Has your doctor offered any other meds? There are others you could try.

I've had the most luck with doing long arc quads as a targeted activity for the RLS twitch. Yesterday I got out my little 3 lb arm weight and did a series of exercises with that too, working out some fidgets while sitting and not aggravating my knee.

I'm definitely sympathetic. It's not like we don't already have enough trouble sleeping. :headbang:
 
Yes, they mentioned gabapentin, which I tried a few years ago. It caused the worst brain fog and I need my brain in my job :bored:, then I read that it is also used with PTSD to help the brain forget. Great, that's just what I needed!!! This past week when I explained to her that the Mirapex wasn't working, she brought up Methadone YEEKS! I reacted to that suggestion. So we're waiting until December (12 weeks) to see if anything settles down...I like your suggestions for activity that won't affect the knee I think I'll try some of those!
 
I didn’t do well on gabapentin, either, I had the brain fog also, and it took my tinnitus to an unacceptable level and gave me awful constipation. And it did not address the issue that I was taking it for. I lasted just under 3 weeks with it.
 
Ugh. I'm so sorry none of the usual meds work for you. Restless leg is so awful. I got a full reminder last night.
 
@Carole4815 I have to agree with you, I'm at week 5.5 and definitely see improvement, I'm looking forward to weeks 8-9!! :)

I'm beginning work this coming Wednesday for only 4 hours each day...the work isn't my issue as it is computer based and I only have to get up to go to the printer, which I can use as positive movement. I am concerned with my 35 minute drive, since my leg will be in the driving position. 15 minutes of the stretch I'm certain I'll be able to use cruise control. Has anyone had this experience of a daily commute early (6 weeks?)
 
I haven't driven for 35 minutes yet, and only started driving on the day after my 7 week knee-anniversary. Right now I am at 8 weeks plus 4 days, and I have not ever had the slightest twinge of knee pain from driving. But that's not much help since I wasn't driving at 5.5 weeks, so maybe somebody else knows more.

If your recovery is like mine has been, then since you are at week 5.5 you are on the verge of a huge step forwards in your progress, that will accelerate tremendously in two or three weeks. :)
 
@Carole4815 I am so looking forward to accelerating, but again, the caveat is "if your recovery is like mine has been" We are all so similar but all so different, aren't we? :)
 
@Carole4815 I am so looking forward to accelerating, but again, the caveat is "if your recovery is like mine has been" We are all so similar but all so different, aren't we? :)
Yeah, good point. :sad: Our knees are all so different. Wishing the best for you in this long recovery process.
 
You are going back to work sooner than most people. I know at 6 weeks I wasn’t able to drive yet even short distances. Make sure you go with someone to practice driving before you take off on your first 35 minute commute. Also make sure you are not taking narcotics if you are going to drive.
 
@newlybionic...Unfortunately, I have no choice, I had 2 surgeries this year and my FMLA will be used up. I'm still 14 months out from retirement, so I'm heading back. :thud:

Oh I agree, no narcotics and driving...I'm just recently off of them and just using acetaminophen and ibuprofen. I can tell when my knee is saying enough, so I have a plan for icing and semi-elevating at my desk...
 
I tried driving too soon after my first 2 surgeries. The really hard part was stop & go driving. That left me really yelping. When my right knee was operated on, I drove using my left foot on the brake. Hand controls are fairly inexpensive .
 
I did 15 minutes on Friday and that went perfectly well, no issues at all. I suspect that you'll be fine heading out in the morning. I'd be more concerned about driving home. And maybe schedule your advil so you're taking it 30 mins before your lunch time commute?

How did your test driving go?
 
Well a few extra duties arose yesterday, so I'm working on the test driving today...I'll update later!
 
Good luck! I hope it's as nice out there as it is here today.
 
@luvcats I wanted to let you know that since I stopped even the minimal narcotics my leg and body twitching have virtually stopped! It is such a great feeling!

I still have sore muscles after PT, especially the R leg that is working on reforming itself after my "deformity", but my walking progress is amazing. I haven't even been needing the cane, which I still take in the car just in case. Meanwhile, I seem to be stalling at around 110 ROM....which as @Tykey mentioned:
Just a bit of stiffness now, which gets in the way of record-breaking ROM figures.
I've been around long enough to know it's meaningless, but for those who aren't yet convinced, I'd estimate it's about 95. It already allows me to walk painlessly with a perfect gait, heeling and toeing as we go. The toe now easily clears the floor as it swings forward.

I'm just happy to see progress! I couldn't say that 2 weeks ago!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom