Guest viewing is limited

THR Lynne54's Recovery Thread

Yes a nurse did the staple removing at home yesterday. It was a bit painful with a few staples (there were 40 in total) but otherwise okay. I felt very faint mid way through the process, very hot and everything swimming. I have a bad bout of depression today which I suffer from anyway, but I will get focussed on the good things I will be able to do once I am up and running again. Living on your own is hard with no family support, but I will get there.
 
Totally understand Lynne - I felt the same also being on my own, although I did have my daughter nearby for popping in briefly. I found that walking outside for small walks helpful and saying hi to any neighbours that might be around - just to make human contact. have you managed to get outside yet?
Depression is common with this recovery as we are not prepared for the incapacitation and level of tolerance required in every day tasks, and how difficult and painstaking those tasks are at first. Sticking to the 90deg rule is a mindset all of its own!
And where there's no one at home to cheer you on and encourage you we have to find our own ways to keep positive through this period, which sounds like you're doing. The sun is out today in Kent and birds singing, hope you can hear them!
 
I felt very faint mid way through the process, very hot and everything swimming.
I think, Klassy, can relate to this.
I have a bad bout of depression today which I suffer from anyway, but I will get focussed on the good things I will be able to do once I am up and running again.
Post Op Blues is common, but thankfully temporary. I’m sorry you suffer with depression apart from this post operative low mood that often occurs. Focusing on the positive and daydreaming of the brighter future coming your way is a great idea.
Please know we’ll be here with a listening ear if you ever want to chat and we’re ready to offer encouragement or support when you’re in need. Lights never go out here.
Hugs
 
@Lynne54 I'm sorry,, the post op blues can be tough. I've got to tell you though, I love your idea of installing a key press outside your entrance. I assume it's so you don't need to go to the door to let someone in, like your visiting nurses? For whatever reason, you seem to have a good head on your shoulders!

I found that even sitting by a window, where I could see people passing by, see the sun shining, or even clouds helped to lift my spirits.

If your swelling is still bothering you, I can give you a few things extra to do to help relieve some of it.
As Layla mentioned earlier, you have a large amount of lymph nodes located in your abdominal area.
The other important location is the groin area, which as you can imagine, gets overwhelmed immediately after a THR.
Here is something I put together for other members with swelling, I hope it helps you too. It's also very relaxing to do.. I'll leave it below:

-------------

If you want to do something extra to help move the swelling, try some deep, diaphragmatic breathing while laying on your back with your legs elevated. All of the edema and lymph fluid needs to go back to the trunk of your body to get processed and eventually pass (urine). Deep breaths early on can make a big difference.
This helped me a lot with both hips I tried to do it 2-3 times a day, especially at bedtime.
Remember that phrase " go with the flow"? Well that's what you want :heehee:
I still had swelling- my hip this time was apparently producing quite a bit- but after a few days of doing this it started responding well to the breathing exercises. I remember one day in particular, I propped up my legs with extra pillows, got nice and comfy in bed and did the breathing with hand compressions, drifted off to sleep and awakened to a much better looking leg, what a relief.
The hand compressions are easy too. Just place one of your hands flat on top of your naval area and press firmly down and upwards towards your diaphragm as you completely breath out.

Then for extra measure, take your hands and place them on each side where your groin is located and lightly brush your fingers upwards towards your navel... at least ten times- maybe even fifteen. This helps awaken the overwhelmed lymph nodes and hopefully gets things moving for you.

If nothing else, it will help pass the time a bit, plus you maybe will get some good sleep like I did!
 
@Lynne54 Hi Lynne…..I’ve been looking for your posts for days. Finally figured out I accidentally pressed something and I muted you….. Gosh the brain fog was going on I guess. Sorry you are not having the easiest time. This recovery is a difficult journey with help, much less alone As everyone has been saying. I can’t imagine the struggle. As for the depression, I can see how that would almost be unavoidable. I have bouts of anxiety that can be very scary and I believe the two are related. came close to a panic attack a few nights ago. Very tough to get through these times. Meds have helped me (Cymbalta) but I know they are not for everyone. must be nice to get the staples out…seems so soon. My old school surgeon says mine have to stay in for 4 weeks. Uggg..hope you start making progress in the abilities and pain department and that in turn will maybe help the mental state. Hang in there…….
 
@Rhonda K
Hi, I thought it was a bit early for the staples to come out but guidelines are 10-14 days apparently.
I have had depression for a long time primarily due to a family rift, and having time on my hands to reflect is not good. I have several good books to read, some unfinished tapestry and a few jigsaws to complete which will help.
Pain wise it has kept me awake but it is not time for my meds yet. I know I have much to look forward to with my new hip and that is what is really helping me right now.
Its tough, but can only get better.
 
You are a tough cookie Lynne. 40 staples and you only felt a bit woozy. I had a mere 24, and fainted clean away during removal! (In case anyone gets to this thread by searching for “staples”, that was my only problem with the staples, they were fine before and after, and I wouldn’t have fainted if I had had the gumption to insist on lying down during removal instead of standing for the nurse’s convenience).

The good thing is, one more step in the healing process completed.

I have had depression in the past. Grim. I hope it passes soon for you. I also had temporary post-op blues at times, which is all part of the process. But I also had some glorious bouts of euphoria, and I certainly hope that is part of the normal process, and some are on their way to you.

What are your plans for your post-op future? My future has a puppy in it, my first :doggie:
 
In case anyone gets to this thread by searching for “staples”, that was my only problem with the staples, they were fine before and after, and I wouldn’t have fainted if I had had the gumption to insist on lying down during removal instead of standing for the nurse’s convenience)
They scare me, don’t mind saying it, never had them, never want them, they remind me of Frankenstein. Then when you two mention nearly fainting, or fainting upon removal.
Ugh…too much for me! :scaredycat:

I hope you enjoy your books, Lynne and also your tapestry and jigsaw puzzles when you’re not reading. Recovery can get boring, BoneSmart kept me company…a lot!
Thankful though because I have my BoneSmart buds now (like you two) that live way across the pond and I’d never know otherwise. A good night to you, Lynne. I hope you get some peaceful restorative rest tonight.
 
Last night was not so good as I did too much during the day as my hip felt reasonable, so I was up at 4.00 due to pain.Physio visited today and gave me some exercises to do, but said if it hurts at anytime, stop, and revisit the exercises another day. When fully recovered I hope to spend more time in London again, take in a few shows and exhibitions. I also want to go back to Australia. These have been pipe dreams but can now become reality. My other hip will need doing at some stage, but that's a few years off hopefully.
 
Hi Lynne, hang on to those dreams. Something to look forward to is a big help in pushing ourselves forward. All the months or years even, of feeling like we can’t do much and our lives are on hold is depressing. That’s why we go on this hip replacement trip ( that is very hard). To get our lives back. You have some wonderful trips on your wish list. Go for them! Watch out for leg lifts is my advise about those exercises.
 
The leg lifts are still not possible but I do have better movement in my hip. The pain comes and goes, but seems to be slightly better. However I did do some vacuuming today and a few other minor jobs and may pay for it tomorrow. I have found that by wedging a very soft pillow down the outside length of my hip does help a great deal when trying to sleep and probably stops me from trying to roll over.
Thanks for the tips re leg swelling. It looks as though my ankles and feet are showing a very slight improvement.
 
I wouldn't worry about the leg lifts, they will come with time. I remember sitting in a chair and I couldn't lift my foot off of the floor. Pillows anywhere and everywhere if they make it more comfortable are great. I actually continued with a pillow between my legs as it stops me from rolling and helps my back. Took a THR for me to learn this, wondered why I would wake with back pain. I remember lying on my back on the floor pre-op and showing my daughter how little ROM I had in my hips. Then post-op lying in bed and being amazed at how far I could slide my leg outwards.
 
@Lynne54 HI Lynn. Well I can do some leg lifts, but i sure couldn’t vacuum ….I’m still using walker. My pain is mostly in knee area and of course some incision also. I’ve made great progress these past few days so maybe I can graduate to cane soon. I have my first outpatient PT on Monday. Not sure what to expect. I’m determined they are not going to set me back with too much leg lifting….I can’t wait to use only pillows to sleep. My surgeon requires the awful abduction pillow ( don’t know why it’s called a pillow), itS so uncomfortable. But for sure you won’t move your legs. Or any other body part much. Still have two more weeks until staples come out. Gosh!! You’ve come a long way also sounds like. Good for us!
 
Hi @Lynne54 . You are doing fabulously. Have a look at the THR activity guidelines ( link was posted by Mojo on the first page of your thread). You will see that, after a rough start, you are now ahead of schedule! Please be careful that you don’t overdo it though ( I speak as a fully paid-up member of the OverDidIt Club, so I know how tempting it can be to press ahead as we start to feel stronger). Slow and steady is the quickest route to London and Australia, IMHO.
 
Yes I overdid it yesterday as I felt reasonably okay, so I am paying for it today. I am managing very short distances without crutches, but still use one to go up and down stairs, and use a frame at night for bathroom trips. My blood pressure seems to have stabilised and I am checking it every day. Next step is to try and speak to my GP to find out about resuming high blood pressure meds........although I think that will not be for a while. It's getting easier.......
 
Lots of good news, Lynne! Practicing without crutches, blood pressure stabilized, establishing a routine and finding it easier. Pretty good for only 18 days post op.
Keep it up and have a great week!
@Lynne54
 
I think I overdid things yesterday and in addition hurt my hip getting into bed last night. Maybe hip was at the wrong angle, but I found myself in horrendous pain and very dizzy and faint. I seriously thought I had dislodged something in my hip. Fortunately my hip seems better this morning, but it certainly was a wake up call to take things easier. My physio has visited and has said that my foot is not turning out which is good, although I am not sure what the significance of that is. I think my hip sent me a very strong message.
 
Yes, Lynne, that hip will let you know what it doesn’t like. I’m sorry you experienced such pain, dizziness and anxiety over what happened, but thankfully you’re feeling better today. I’m sure the visit with the Physio was reassuring after the scare you dealt with. Slow and easy does it in this recovery!
I hope you have a nice afternoon and evening. :)
@Lynne54
 
Back
Top Bottom