THR LuvDisney’s recovery journey

Thank you @Mojo333!

Had my RTHR this morning after having my left done a month ago. I’m doing great. My legs feel even with walking, was able to eat something, and most importantly I was able to pee . I’m now home with my feet up in the recliner and ice on my hip. I feel more muscle soreness this time than last but so far pain has been manageable and as a bonus right now I have no pain in the Left hip so I’m very happy about that!
 
Drive thru THR. What next? It's so amazing!
You're home, you're even, you're eating and using the bathroom. What more can a girl ask for just hours after a major surgery. You're doing great. Congrats!
@LuvDisney
 
Isn’t it amazing? When I first became a nurse the standard time in the hospital post joints was at least 4 days. I haven’t been a med-surg nurse for 3 years now but when I left they were generally 2 days. Same Hospital! Now it’s same day! They have a program called ERAS (Enhanced Recovery after Surgery) and it’s worked wonders.

I have to say this time my leg feels much heavier and I think more bruised/swollen (I barely had any of either last time) so having a little difficulty getting a proper gait but I feel so much better being more level. The surgeon said I could be 1-2” taller and I should have them measure my height at my next appointment. Im keeping it elevated and iced. Also not feeling any pain in my Left hip (my first) so I’m hopeful that’s because of straightening me out and not because of having the spinal! I do have the concern about trying to get into bed as it’s a bit on the high side and I haven’t been letting my husband get much sleep so I may just sleep in the recliner tonight and attempt the bed tomorrow when PT comes.
 
I had to be released 23 hrs post op as I went through a surgery center where that's the norm unless there's a crisis. I was overwhelmed at the thought of being released to my husband. He was great and all turned out well. Same day would make me nervous but it's becoming more common these days.
Wishing you comfort and a peaceful nights rest.
@LuvDisney
 
:hi:So glad to hear you are all done...I woke my husband up often and he checked on me while I stayed in the recliner overnight.
I think you sound wonderful.
Double hippy luvdisney:happydance:
 
@Mojo333 Id been keeping him up at night lately so felt he really needed the sleep as well. I was fine in the recliner and actually got more rest than I expected. Woke up around my med time but didn’t need to use the restroom so that was good. Just got up now and hobbled around a bit. This new surgery leg feels so much heavier. As the friend we are staying with just said though it might be because last time you had a strong leg to work with and now you have your new surgery and only some strength back in the first surgery leg so that makes sense. Getting out of the recliner is certainly much more difficult right now.

PT comes this afternoon, I’m sure they will have me try and get in bed to do my bed exercises, not looking forward to that activity as our bed is a bit on the high side. Might try and use a step stool but kind of Leary of that as well.
 
Hi :wave:
Good luck today. Let us know how it goes with PT.
Remember you're the boss, lol.
A great day to you!
@LuvDisney
 
Well apparently today’s not a good day. Just passed out after going to the bathroom.
 
Oh no! I'm sorry, I hope you didn't hurt yourself.
Are you feeling better? Hope you have someone with you today.
Please get lots of rest and stay in touch :console2:
@LuvDisney
 
@Layla I'm okay. I got up from the toilet, washed my hands and started getting dizzy/nauseous. Went into the bedroom My husband was in and asked him to get my Zofran from my bedside table. He gave it to me and I said... you better come hold me I'm really dizzy. Next thing I know I'm on the floor. He was able to get me to the floor safely without hurting anything. I laid there for a bit and ate a beef stick laying there. Then my husband and his best friend (who was thankfully working from home today) were able to get me back up. I’m now in the chair trying to get some fluids in me.
 
I had some quite sudden dizzy "almost went out moments" after my surgery too. Had the wherewithal to holler help...don't know why it happened but it may be very cautious to keep walker handy.

his new surgery leg feels so much heavier. As the friend we are staying with just said though it might be because last time you had a strong leg to work with and now you have your new surgery and only some strength back in the first surgery leg so that makes sense.
I think this is the subject of what we refer to around here as "log leg" Some have it, some don't...in my case with bilateral...one did, one didn't:shrug:
My right was heavy...and also didn't seem to respond to my brain signals...we are getting in the chair now. NOPE, says Log Leg..just not listening. Traumatized I guess:umm:
It got less and less with time, but every once in a while...I would go to get in the car a month out...get in and tell right leg...Come On...It just sat there...I would pick it up and put it in:doh:
It concerned me...but it was all just healing recovery mess...it finally got with the program.

Early days...I know they are rough...but now you are all done. Sending good mojo and healing hugs:friends:
 
Hi! So happy to hear you made it through surgery for your right hip and home the same day. I'm a bit envious of your extra 2" in height, wish I was a little taller being just 5'.
So sorry to hear about your dizziness & pass out moment. Luckily your hubby & his friend were there to help you. Hope that it doesn't happen again.
Log leg is normal so just rest, ice, elevate to heal those legs. Good luck with PT. I only had PT once before being released from the hospital. I have to wait another week to start water therapy.
I enjoy reading about your journey so please keep posting.
 
@LuvDisney Whoa! Scary story about your fall and passing out. I'm wondering how you got back up off the floor with two newly operated hips?! That had to be tough. I guess your husband must've done the hinge move in dancing duos.

Congratulations on the successful #2 surgery in warp speed! I too have a high bed and got great usage out of the blue leg lifter thingy. Mine has a wire in it so you can shape it, and I found it invaluable for high beds - from Amazon. But you have to get all the angles just right when fork-lifting that log leg over the bed ledge. And avoid twisting. It takes a little practice.

I'm starting to think we may have a right hip = troublemaker pattern developing here @Mojo333! Maybe we need a Poll to see how many double hippies had the most problems with their right hip. Right hips are bossy, impatient and tempestuous. And they always think they're right! :)
 
@Mojo333 the log leg is a little better today. I was able to lift it some on my own. Thanks so much for your thoughts and support.

@Lski I was 5’7” before surgery but used to be 5’8” so it will be interesting to see what I am now. I’m very lucky I recognized the signs that I was about to pass out as my husband was laying in bed. I had a very short PT in the hospital before my same day discharge. PT came yesterday, she also checked my vitals. It was low normal. We just did a few things. She set a schedule to come 2X a week going forward.

@1stSurgery unfortunatly my husband had lots of experience with getting his mom off the floor. I bent my knees so my feet were flat on the floor and as bent as I could do them. Then he and his friend used one hand each on mine and then one hand in the arm pit. Pull, and I’m on my feet without twisting the hips at all. I don’t have a leg lifter. I’m sleeping okay in the recliner for now and it means my husband is also getting better sleep and therefor in a better mood during the day.
 
Happy Friday Everyone! Today seems to be better. I’ve been up to the bathroom a few times without incident. Brushed my teeth and washed up. I could shower today but I’ve decided waiting another day is probably a good idea. I ended up being out of the recliner for almost an hour and felt good. Now I’m pooped again though.

One thing I’m truely surprised at is up until this second surgery I was still having pain almost all the time on my left side. I was pretty discouraged thinking maybe I’d made the wrong choice. Ever since the second surgery I haven’t felt any pain in that hip. It’s not as strong as it was so getting up is still hard but I’m feeling so much more optimistic about my whole recovery process now.
 
I think you are on your way to double hippy happy...I'm so happy to hear a good report.
hope you have a sweet weekend.:flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
That fainting episode sounds scary. Thankfully you weren't home alone.
It sounds like today is a better day with log leg easing. Great news that the pain with your left hip
has disappeared. I can feel your optimism in your post. Very encouraging.
I hope you have a relaxing weekend!
@LuvDisney
 
@Mojo333 thank you! I hope you have a fabulous weekend as well.

@Layla it was definitely scary!! My husband went to the store today but I wouldn’t let myself get up if he wasn’t here. I’m definitely in a better mood now. I was feeling pretty down the last couple of weeks.
 
So I talked to the PA today and asked about resuming my vitamins. He said I could only take my Multi if it didn’t have Vit K but sure enough it was some so I need to wait to restart that. He did mention to take Vit C but didn’t say how much. Does anyone else take Vit C? How much is a good dosage? I’m also wondering about my Tumeric?? Safe to take or not? I asked him but he didn’t answer...
 
Hi,
I took a supplement for 30 days post op. It was a surgical support formula with Vitamin C being the main ingredient. It contained 1500mg of Vitamin C. I don't know when you could begin supplementing with Turmeric again. Make sure you're getting enough protein as you're healing.
Have a nice weekend.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom