THR LuvDisney’s recovery journey

I was able to take my multi-vitamin on deck was home from the hospital, day 2. I'd confirm with your surgeon to be sure or ask him to recommend one without vitamin k.

you sound good for this early stage of recovery for hip #2. Get some rest.
 
:wave:Hi there,
Stopping by to see how you're coming along.
How was your weekend? Hopefully peaceful and pain free.
Shoot us an update when you have time. We'd love to hear from you.
Wishing you a great week!
@LuvDisney
 
Thank you @Layla for checking in on me. I keep having to remind myself I am only 6 days Post-op on my second hip. I'm actually feeling pretty crappy today. A bit nauseous every time I get up and just overall uncomfortable. I feel like I just want to sleep all day. I had PT yesterday and we just did simple exercises but now I feel like my muscles are so sore, my hip itself doesn't hurt much but my whole thigh is hurting. I know much PT isn't needed so I'm more focusing on the short walks. Trying to remember to get up every hour when I'm not sleeping to keep moving.

My husband and our friends want to go to Monterey on Thursday which is about an hour 15min drive each way. I'm not sure I'll be ready but I really want my husband to be able to go. I'm not sure he will go without me though.
 
:hi:I don't think I would want to do that ride...no, I know I wouldn't!
Sorry you feel like you are disappointing him but you've had Two hips replaced a month apart.
Your long-term recovery success is contingent on short term recovery patience.
So so much you've been through...it's not brain surgery but it's not a tonsillectomy either.

You are worrying me now...please take care of yourself!:beg:
 
Hi! Thanks for sharing your experience. I remember the second week seeming worse than the first. I was excited to find that I could have the other hip done with such a short break. It'll all be worth it. I'm afraid I've been slacking off on the ice and I'm going to get back on it.

I have only just been able to sleep on my side without getting that pulling feeling you describe. I have two memory foam head pillows as well as a wedge and putting one of the head pillows between my legs did help.
 
@LuvDisney that sounds like biting off more than you should chew, the trip to Monterey, going this early after your second surgery. Unless.... There are a few cars / SUVs with super well designed ergonomically sensible seats, lots of leg room and with deeply reclining seats, in case you need to get horizontal. That's about the only way I'd consider doing it. Take care of those new hippies!!
 
@EL11 I'LL be going in a few days after your second for my second too. Reverse order, doing the right one next. Good luck to you on round two! We will be dancing by the holiday season.
. :chuckmarch:
 
@1stSurgery Good luck to you! I lived in LA for many years, most recently Santa Monica.

I consider it quite a gift to be able to turn back the clock in this area, as I approach 70. I took dance class for 20 years and used to be ridiculously flexible. I know those days are gone, but am excited to be able to work out again. I remember the unpleasant realization a few years ago when I was watching one of those CSI shows on TV; a character got down in a crouch to examine a crime scene and then stood up again. I thought, oh no, I'll never be able to do that again. Ha.

I asked the surgeon in our pre-op appointment whether my lower back pain would be addressed after surgery and he said, it will be when you've done then both. One of the deciding factors in my doing this was when the physical therapist I'd been seeing at the hospital, bluntly told me how poorly I was walking, not able to straighten my back.
 
Hi, I hope you're feeling better today and that the nausea has passed.
I know you've read this before but I wouldn't be doing my job here if I didn't post this reminder -

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Hate to see you suffering with pain and then nausea also. No fun! It sounds like you're dealing with Energy Drain at this point which is normal. Your body is using all its energy to heal not leaving much more for all the other activities of daily living. Please look at the Activity Progression for THR as a reminder and rough guideline of where you may be at one week post op.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

I'd really like to caution against driving to Monterey on Thursday. Lengthy car rides can be a challenge in the early weeks, sometimes even months. You had two major surgeries in short order and are only one week out from the last. I'm not asking this question for you to respond but only to think about it. What are you going to do in Monterey? If hubs and friends are partying at all, you're not going to be able to keep up with that. Nor are you going to be able to keep up with anyone physically. You're injured, sweetie, and in a big way. You won't have the comforts of home and at your slow pace and not feeling well, all you'll do is slow everyone else down. No fun for them, or you. Please think long and hard on that one.

I hope today is a good day! :)
 
Hi guys, the reason for Monterey is last year my Mother-in-law passed away. We did a Burial at Sea for her there. My husband needs to get back to “see” his mom. We haven’t been since that date and it’s been over a year. I feel really bad if I’m not there to support him. I would pack extra ice packs and I get the front seat so I have extra leg room. The problem would be no way to actually elevate my legs. We aren’t going to do the touristy thing or to party.
 
Aww, I'm sorry for your and hubby's loss. :console2:

Have to tell you, you'll be on my mind....all day I'm guessing.
I have a ear worm of the Animals song Monterey about Monterey Pop 50 yrs ago
ever since reading your post. You've probably never heard of either :heehee: you're too young.

Back to reality - Since it's not the actual anniversary of your MIL's passing couldn't the trip be delayed for several weeks? Even three weeks from now I'm sure you'll be feeling much stronger. Or...convince hubs you'll be okay home alone, or with a visiting friend or family member, while he makes the trip there and back. Should you go, there will most likely be a lot of tending to you on the ride, as well as when you reach your destination. It will be a distraction and increase the time it takes everyone to move at your pace. Add to that the possibility you may be very stiff and sore after the drive, affecting your mood and subsequently hubbies.

I also think in questioning this and bringing it to the forum you know it's probably not the best idea. And since you don't know how it may go, bad or good, why take the chance? If you have a miserable trip there, I suspect the trip back home would only add to your discomfort.

Some have traveled that distance and further once discharged from the hospital but that's normally on heavy narcotics.

@LuvDisney
 
@Layla the Anniversary of spreading her ashes was the 19th, I stupidly made a hair appointment that day without thinking about it so I’m feeling really guilty. My husband isn’t always in California with me, we have a house in Colorado so a trip to Monterey isn’t something he can just do at anytime, yes waiting a few weeks would probably be better for me, my first hip I didn’t leave the house till 2 weeks post-op and that was a very short drive. I just know he’s been wanting to do it since June and the reason we are looking at doing it tomorrow is our friends are taking vacation days and figured it would be less crazy than trying to go on a tourist filled weekend later on.

TMI alert —— My main issue for today though is the need to poo... being on a low carb, high fat diet I usually don’t have any issues but even with stool softeners I’m having issues and I think that’s contributing to my nausea issues. I can’t do prunes or prune juice... I’ve tried magnesium but it might not be the right kind. Frustrating.
 
@LuvDisney
Here is an article from the BoneSmart Library and some remedies that have been mentioned on the forum.
Good Luck!
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/constipation-and-stool-softeners.4899/


Pumpkin Purée has been suggested as a cure for Constipation.
With Pumpkin Puree' being the ONLY ingredient in the can.
Cinnamon can be sprinkled on top.

This is the "Bomb" recipe for anyone Brave (or Desperate) enough to use it.
  • one dose liquid milk of magnesia in an 8 oz. measuring cup
  • fill to 8 oz. mark with prune juice
  • Add 1 Tbsp. dark Karo syrup
  • Heat in microwave
  • Enjoy.
The Candy Apple
  • one dose of MoM in an 8 oz. measuring cup
  • fill to 8 oz. mark with apple juice
  • spoonful of brown sugar
  • Heat in microwave
  • Enjoy
Thoughts on the Bomb:
  • Beware starting this recipe if you've only purchased Cherry Flavored MoM
  • DH got "100% Prune Juice" as opposed to the store brand kind where (though it said 100% Prune Juice, the first ingredient was Water, which made DH deem if unacceptable) :bignono: The consistency of the PJ he got was very thick/syrupy.
  • I think the idea of the Karo was to sweeten the pot.... but with the cherry flavor and the Karo the resulting hot drink was sickeningly sweet and had the texture of hot beef gravy.
Thoughts on the Candy Apple:

  • I didn't make this, but if I were going to - I'd get the regular MoM
  • Buy the cheapest Apple Juice you can find...
  • I would error on the side of too little brown sugar, at least to start.
 
Hi there,
Wondering how you're doing....did you make the trip?
If so, how did the hips hold up?
Hopefully the Constipation has resolved.
Enjoy the holiday weekend!
@LuvDisney
 
@LuvDisney, re the constipation, I asked the visiting nurse for permission to use bisacodyl (generic for Ducolax) once or twice a week and she said OK; it helped. I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, no red meat, for me to have an "issue" for even 24 hours is usually unheard of and it was 4 days when I first came home. I also told her I was taking the stool softener 2x a day instead of the 2 they wrote down and she said no worries. This is of course just me, and I am not an expert/doctor etc etc. :)
 
Hi @LuvDisney,

I said this in someone else's post, but thought I would post it here for you. Two things that work really well for me: Starbucks coffee (I don't know why Starbucks... but it really works) and cherries. Also, water, water and more water (like 12 glasses a day). Fiber without lots and lots of water will actually cause constipation (something you probably already know, but I thought I would mention it). Also, something I just thought of. If you have increased your protein to help you heal, that will cause you to get backed up too. A good rule of thumb (from my weight lifting days), drink one extra glass of water for every 2 extra ounces of protein you eat. Again, only if you have increased your protein. Just a thought.

Cheers
 
Thank you @Layla for checking in on me. I did end up going to Monterey/Carmel with my husband and friends. I knew it would be emotional for my husband and needed to be there for him. It didn’t cause any issues for my hips. I was able to be in the front passenger seat (I insisted) in an SUV so I had plenty of leg room. I was dropped off everywhere we stopped as close as possible and then had my 4 wheel walker which moves much easier outdoors. It also provides a seat if needed.

As far as the constipation it FINALLY resolved last night. I had upped my stool softeners to the maximum dosage on the bottle. Most “normal” ways to resolve constipation don’t work for me and the diet I’m on. No dried fruits, pumpkin and even a lot of things like Milk of Mag I couldn’t take so I’m thankful the pills finally helped. I’m not taking as many pain pills now so hopefully by just going back to my regular pill dosage I can be regular without either of the other extremes.

Otherwise since last week I’m doing pretty good. Told my husband last night I wanted to start walking more but he was exhausted from working outside and doesn’t want me walking outside by myself. We also have had a big issue come up in our house in Colorado so he might have to go there for a bit. Depends on what our insurance guy says today. As much as I would like to go to my apartment while he is gone I’ll probably remain at our friends.

I do have a question for @Mojo333 as a double hippie how long did you use a walker?? PT had me try with a cane last week but while my Left hip is stronger it just felt weird only having one side supported. I do take some steps around the house without any aide but feel I make small twists that I shouldn’t be.
 
Wonderful you made the trip without incident.
I'm sure your hubby appreciated the emotional support.
I'm happy to hear you're not feeling any worse for wear after the car ride.
Great news the Constipation has resolved. You probably feel like a new woman, lol.
Wishing you a great week as you continue healing.
@LuvDisney
 
For about two months but not to say I didn't peruse the countertops and couches without it.
Used it intermittently after when out for longer bits...
Hated to have it when out and about but...
I had hard time figuring cane out
Back and forth...mostly just for balance and support when resting.
I get that it looks very much like a very old person walking aid but the most stable for me...and temporary! Even three or four months is temporary in the grand scheme of it you know!
Early days and you've had a lot going on.
I know the trip was important but hopefully you can just keep it to a minimum now for a bit.?
Healing hugs !@LuvDisney
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
We haven't heard from you in a few weeks. I hope all is going well in your recovery.
Leave an update when you have time. We'd love to go head how you're doing.
@LuvDisney
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom