Guest viewing is limited

THR LuvDisney’s recovery journey

@Mojo333 most of my PT is just stretches but I usually only do them once a day except ankle pumps I do as I’m restless sitting. Otherwise I’m mainly walking. Yesterday I ventured out of the house and walked around a store and that was more walking than I’d done in a long time so that was probably the trigger. As soon as we got home I had my hubby get me an ice pack for both hips and once my non-surgical one was feeling better I used that ice pack to almost wrap my hip when combined with my other one. It’s feeling better this morning. Not as low pain as before but definitely better.
 
This afternoon my dressing comes off! Last week when we changed the dressing there was a small open spot so I’m praying that closed up. My incision is closed with surgical glue.
 
I had the same closure...one tiny spot on mine also..
Closed up quickly.
Hard not to be anxious I'm sure especially with another one coming up so soon.:unsure:
You are doing well, @LuvDisney !:ok:
Plain old aggravating recovery mess.
Icing is our best friend.
Aren't you glad it's summer!:ice:
 
Hi @LuvDisney! I'm about to embark on hip #2 as well and was a little concerned about only 2-3 mos between surgeries ...but if your OS is happy with just one month I guess I shouldn't be so concerned! Brave, and smart, to get it all over with in one clump of time!

Regarding getting around with Walker and being unable to carry things...I used a smaller kind of just bigger than purse-sized lightweight backpack, since I'm in a 2 story home and was using cane and railing to go upstairs, all hands occupied. Found it helpful for taking stuff up and down hands free-- like mail, phone, iPad, some food. And any clothes with pockets too. And I used the flat walker seat like a tray -from kitchen to dining room table - when first preparing light meals. But liquids.... We are at the mercy of "um....Honey?..."

The pillow orchestration dance is never ending. At 2 months now, I can side sleep --but still do pillow battle at night. Last night was one for the neck, larger pillow propped up a bit at the back, small one at lower back, small memory foam one under to-be-operated leg's knee (<--worst pain for now) which doubles as between legs pillow when I flip to side. Then of course after taking 20 minutes to strategically place them all....
Oh, Great...I have to go to the bathroom!
And it starts all over again! :)

Will be watching your second surgery posts and following right behind you, I think I'll be early sept.
 
The pillow orchestration dance is never ending. At 2 months now, I can side sleep --but still do pillow battle at night. Last night was one for the neck, larger pillow propped up a bit at the back, small one at lower back, small memory foam one under to-be-operated leg's knee (<--worst pain for now) which doubles as between legs pillow when I flip to side. Then of course after taking 20 minutes to strategically place them all....
Oh, Great...I have to go to the bathroom!
And it starts all over again!

:rotfl::heehee::rotfl:
Been there...did that! Frustrating:tantrum2:
 
Good news! I’m discharged from Home PT and was taught how to use a cane. I’m a little wobbly on it so the walker is probably still necessary outside.

Also my dressing is off and the incision looks great. Going to try for a picture of it a bit later.

Sadly I’m SO tired today having been up since 4:30am and unable to fall back asleep and then with the PT (and we didn’t do that much) I’m just pooped.

16 days till the next surgery.
 
@1stSurgery my OS wouldn’t do bilateral and the day of and day after I was so thankful of that! The soonest he would do them is 5weeks. Mine happen to be a few days closer as he is going on vacation.

Sleep is my number one hardest thing. I feel like if I could sleep at least 8 hours I’d be so much better. I ordered a pillow for between my knees that comes today that I will have to try out.
 
Sleep was hard for me too poor @LuvDisney
I'm sorry you are struggling so.
I did nap...
 
Sleep was hard for me too poor @LuvDisney
I'm sorry you are struggling so.
I did nap...
It’s so hard!! Normally I only have trouble sleeping when I’m hot and thankfully our evenings have been cool. I probably should have tried sleeping on my back more pre-op. I always tried but then would turn in my sleep. Now when I do that I wake up.
 
It's nothing you are doing or not doing.
I won't even depress you and tell you how long it was before I slept more than a few hours at a time.
I crept out to my recliner for months..watched mindless TV, bonesmarted..dozed, squirmed..

It was worth it in the long run...but I would have to draw the curtains and nap whenever I could I'm the day.
This too shall pass...just may be a bit.
Bet you'll get a good sleep for your next surgery.:console2:
 
You're doing great I'm a almost a week ahead of you and can't imagine having g the other hip Dunedin just a few weeks. You are very brave. Take it easy and rest so your right hip gets as strong as possible before the left one is replaced.
 
@Lski, I’m trying to do just that! It’s my right getting replaced soon. The left is the one healing. The only thing I’m concerned about after the second surgery is getting in and out of bed. It’s hard enough now...

Well, not the ONLY thing but a huge concern.
 
Was anyone else on Celebrex? I took my last dose yesterday morning so missed the dose I usually take in the evening. I woke up in so much pain at 1:30am, normally I don’t wake up till at least 3am. Did anyone else have more pain when stopping the Celebrex? I haven’t taken Percocet in a week but may have to if the fresh ice pack I just applied doesn’t help.
 
I haven't taken Celebrex do maybe you'll get other replies.
Just my opinion, but think she dropped those pain meds a little early. I took them regularly for a month and then at night for another month.
I think maybe you should consider this as you've had so much problem sleeping and still have pain.
I know you'll have to stop before your other surgery, but I had no problems when I finally spotted taking them.
 
@Mojo333 My Celebrex script was only for 2 weeks. I think to prevent Long-term complications. I only have about 6 more days that an NSAID could be taken but I’ve read on other posts that NSAIDS inhibit bone growth so am thinking that’s why it was only for 2 weeks?

When I posted this I had taken a Tylenol and applied my ice pack. It’s feeling better having done that. I did bring my Percocet into the room with me should I need it. Hopefully I can get some more sleep.
 
I hope so:beg:
I know this is tough but don't hesitate to take your meds if you need them.
You've got this...just being sleep deprived and all this recovery mess is emotionally taxing.
Try to sleep..sending you good mojo!:sleep:
 
I've been taking Aleve (Naproxen) to bring down swelling. It's working both thighs are the same size now. Ask your Dr if you should continue on Celebrex or can try something else
 
I only have about 6 more days that an NSAID could be taken but I’ve read on other posts that NSAIDS inhibit bone growth so am thinking that’s why it was only for 2 weeks?
@Lski
I think the bone growth inhibitions are a valid concern to avoid NSAIDS.
Ice is definitely the best anti-inflammatory.
Our legs swell because they were injured during surgery.
Time is the greatest healer.
 
Ask your Dr if you should continue on Celebrex or can try naproxen.
Both Celebrex and Naproxen are NSAIDs.

If you want to change, I suggest you try Tylenol 1,000mg 4 times a day (every 6hrs)
 
Both Celebrex and Naproxen are NSAIDs.

If you want to change, I suggest you try Tylenol 1,000mg 4 times a day (every 6hrs)

Unfortunately my Percocet contains Tylenol so I don’t want to take 1000mg of plain Tylenol at a time in case I need the Percocet. I plan to ask my surgeon to prescribe the Oxycodone and Tylenol separate for my next surgery.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom