TKR luvcats recovery box

I just caught up too...sounds like you are on the right track & I'm thrilled for you!!!

Welcome back @Ladyala. I was just wondering where you were yesterday. I can't wait for your next update.

Open question to those further along in your journey. The pervasive exhaustion is normal and expected, like swelling. My question is, about how long did it last? When did you start feeling like you had your healthy level of energy back?

@Jaycey Yes, I've been extremely fortunate with this recovery. Except for my allergic reaction to the glue and a second string closer for the incision, the rest of the healing is all going much better and faster.

I'm really fortunate how this is working out. July needed a lot more straightening I think. I'll find out for sure when I can see the Newbie xrays at my appointment on Tuesday. Now that I've pulled my pain meds way back, I can still feel some aching in July. I think she needed the 2 extra months lead time to be on the same long term healing schedule as Newbie.

Yesterday I was faced with the usual problem of "how can fixing 2 very simple meals and sitting in a chair all day be exhausting". But it was. I hope I can get in some more sleep later this morning. I feel I really need it, but sleep is always a problem for me.

Beloved is a web developer and works for a wonderful company that really doesn't care where he works from. In our regular life, I drive him to the metro station every morning, keep the car, and pick him up in the evening. One of the many things that let us know that this was the right time to do my surgeries was that our particular metro stop was closed all summer for some major structural repairs. Driving would have been a nightmare, so he was already going to have to work from home all summer. Well, summer is about over! The metro is back open. And there is a big meeting on Wednesday that he wants to attend in person. So for the first time since June, I'll be alone in the house all day. It will be weird, but I'm certainly not worried about anything. If that goes well he'll go in a few more days in the next few weeks until I'm ready to drive again. It feels like a great milestone.

70 days until Disney!!

Rarely do I post, but this question begs an answer. Took about 3-4 months to get the healthy level of energy, but you had two surgeries within two months.Double that time! Surgery is exhausting on the body, and can’t rush recovery.

Yesterday I was faced with the usual problem of "how can fixing 2 very simple meals and sitting in a chair all day be exhausting". But it was. I hope I can get in some more sleep later this morning. I feel I really need it, but sleep is always a problem for me.
Mutti3 is right. You have a double whammy of Energy drain for TKRs
Your body hadn't even regained its full quota of energy after your July TKR when you had a second TKR in September.

Thanks for posting @Mutti3. I appreciate it.
@Celle I'm not sure I'd read the article geared towards bi-laterals, but in terms of long term healing, that's basically what I did. Thanks for pointing that out.

I've pretty much given myself permission to be limp until January. Then I'll have to take stock and see what I can manage. Considering how exhausted and limited I was by pain in the old knees, I'm hoping by then I'll be able to have back my limited abilities from my old regular life, and increase them from there. But we shall see.

So for the first time since June, I'll be alone in the house all day. It will be weird, but I'm certainly not worried about anything. If that goes well he'll go in a few more days in the next few weeks until I'm ready to drive again. It feels like a great milestone.
It is indeed a great milestone! And it is definitely do-able.

My sweetie has been working every Friday and Saturday nights, and sometimes on Sundays, about 10 miles away this whole time. Luckily my TKR was on a Tuesday.

During the early weeks, and even to some extent now, he comes by before leaving for work, fills my ice machine, and checks to see if I need anything else. Then when he is at work, he texts me, asking if I am OK, and I text him back saying yes, I'm fine.

That way he doesn't have to worry about me as much and can focus on work. Also it makes me feel less alone. I know that if anything happened, like if I fell, I could call or text him for help. (When he is at work, I take my cell phone and glasses with me every time I get up to walk to the bathroom or anything else. ) So far I have not had to initiate a text to him at work, but I could.

At this stage (six and a half weeks), I don't really need this but early on, like you are, I found it to be very reassuring for both of us. Even last night, he texted me about what a beautiful evening it was outside and suggested I should go sit out there and enjoy it. I texted him back that I"d think about it. LOL I didn't go outside, but it was nice to get a text from him.

If this sort of thing would work for your Beloved and you, it is a great advantage to living in the digital age.

As for stamina and tiredness, my theory is that the more tired you are, the more your knees have been healing. I am farther along than your Newbie, though not as far along as your July. I have most of my energy back except on days when I over-do and get a set-back. I sit when I cook (on a high bar stool) and only cook simple things. But then that was how I cooked before TKR too. By now I have plenty of stamina to do the laundry and put it away although it wasn't always so. I also clean the counters and put things where they belong, and have plenty of energy for that, but don't do the floors or dust yet, or take the trash out to the curb. He drives me around on daily outings (lunch at a restaurant, driving around, doing drive through errands) now that I am up to it. If I go for a walk I rest and ice and nap for a couple of hours afterwards. On low energy days after over-doing, resting and napping is about all I do.

Last edited:
@luvcats
That is a milestone & will probably help with your moving on in recovery... some normality to life...
Carole is so right... we are lucky to live in this digital age ... we are never really alone.

You have done so well in this double recovery ... but it must take its toll on the body... no wonder you are tired! I’m tired thinking about it.

Hope your time alone goes well.. xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Carole4815 Like you I keep my phone in my pocket all the time, just in case. I haven't needed it, but it makes me feel more secure, especially when I've been outside walking. I will continue to do this. Like you I had to get used to being quite disabled so I have workarounds for all kinds of things that will continue to be useful post surgery, like our chairs by the stove.

You have done so well in this double recovery ... but it must take its toll on the body... no wonder you are tired! I’m tired thinking about it.
This kind of makes me laugh. It seems to me I've been in recovery forever this year. Which is mostly true. I had a hernia repair in December, and then an abscess. Just for my own amusement, I made a calendar showing when I was sick, when I was in the hospital, and when I was on strict medical restriction. I'm counting the first 6 weeks of knee recovery under that heading. That means that in the 10 months starting with December of last year, I've been sick, hospitalized, or in restricted recovery for 6. It may seem weird, but drawing it all out for myself made me feel much better about being limp and exhausted.

And someone needs to give Beloved a medal. We've really been putting 'sickness and health' to the test this year.

But enough of that. This weekend I had an exciting milestone! I was able to get out of my recliner without assistance!!! It is low, and it rocks, so getting up has required either pulling against a very heavy table or Beloved's help. But now I can do it relatively easily. That's huge.

After being so exhausted this weekend, I've pushed back my plans to wash my hair myself and I'm going to the salon one more time today. My hair is waist length and washing it takes about 20 minutes if I do it myself in the shower. It sounds ridiculous, but I don't think I can manage that and still do the tasks I've taken back like cat care and feeding myself. Baby steps. Overdoing is always a mistake.

Standing up from your recliner without assistance is a HUGE milestone! Congratulations on that. It's also great exercise for Newbie as well as a satisfying step towards your previous, understandably more independent life.

Long hair can tough to deal with when we are not 100%, and I don't think it is ridiculous to go to a salon for now. Overdoing just sets us back and it's good that you can see that possibility and avoid it. Besides, it's nice to be able to look forward to getting out of the house. I had mine cut almost "boy short" just before TKR, which I hate (that's just not ME!), but it drastically reduced the necessary amount of hair care. Probably I'll recognize myself in the mirror by springtime. :rotfl:

I am so excited for you because I think your Newbie will be improving a lot in October. You are going to love the increased mobility that is ahead for you, and with any luck it's just a few weeks away. And the increased stamina too, assuming you have no more surgeries ahead.

@luvcats I absolutely relate to your recovery and exhaustion....I too had a July surgery, but it was for a spinal decompression...I slept a lot and recovered rather quickly compared to TKR recovery. I even returned to work full time for the month of August and now I'm recovering from this! I feel exhausted often! And over the smallest things...

I don't know if my situation is as severe as a bilateral recovery, but I am tired and feel like I'm running on adrenaline at times! The additional problem is that between my back and my achy knee I have trouble getting comfortable...and I'm generally an active person, so I get up often and move around, which causes my knee to start swelling.... Josephine wrote in her pain management article in our recovery posts about the double causative effect (in other words a vicious circle) of pain and swelling from angry tissues, which hinders our recovery...

I try to get to a place of "neutral" exertion so that I'm not aggravating or hindering my recovery, but in turn I believe it takes it's toll in our energy levels... So far I feel pretty good about my knee, but the exhaustion is tough. I was thinking about returning to work, for 4 hours a day in mid-October. I run our of FMLA at that time, so I really don't have a choice, I'm hoping I can handle that for 3 weeks and then nap every afternoon. Heaven forbid if I fall asleep at work!:bignono:

PS As for washing your hair, I ended up cutting mine shorter that usual, just so I could avoid the hassle while recovering! So enjoy your hair appointment and definitely don't overdo it!

Everyone has been quite eloquent in their responses so I’ll be brief and succinct. It’s been 4+ months for me (May 13) and I’m still not back to my normal energy level but much better than I was last month. It’s not been a straight line but definitely improves.

Long hair can tough to deal with when we are not 100%, and I don't think it is ridiculous to go to a salon for now.
I was just kind of looking forward to doing it myself, as a marker, you know? But it's not worth pushing. I swear, those ladies are so practiced and efficient, my hair was clean and done before I could have gotten my clothes off at home! :heehee: I've been having them help me since I found out how inexpensive it would be way back in December when I had a hernia repair and wound up with drains in my belly. I could shower, but I needed to keep it relatively quick and be careful around the drains. I didn't think shampoo would be a good idea. So they've been seeing me all year. Fortunately, it's cheap, so it's a nice treat.

The additional problem is that between my back and my achy knee I have trouble getting comfortable.
Ugh. I've been having some sciatica issues along with my knee, so I can imagine how much worse it is after something like decompression surgery.
I was thinking about returning to work, for 4 hours a day in mid-October.
I noticed last time, which was much harder, that at between 6 and 7 weeks I started feeling much better and more able to manage things. You should be able to manage half days since you must. Elevate if you can.

The exhaustion is a funny thing. If I sleep adequately and respect my energy limits, I really feel pretty good at this point. But that's a trap that leads me into overdoing. Today is going to be very busy for me. It's my 1 month follow up at the surgeon's with a PA for Newbie. There will be new xrays and a lot of moving around. Then my usual life tasks of managing my own meals. I might also move laundry from the washer to the dryer. Then tonight another outing to our WW meeting, which I haven't attended since August. Sitting upright remains pretty uncomfortable after a short time, but I want to go. I urgently need something social.

It’s been 4+ months for me (May 13) and I’m still not back to my normal energy level but much better than I was last month. It’s not been a straight line but definitely improves.
Thanks @Neesie. I'll just have to keep on not pushing. :bored:

Ooh lay back & enjoy the pampering @luvcats... nothing like having your hair washed & done ...by someone else!!

That energy drain will soon be a thing of the past... I’m 6 months post THR & energy levels are very good now!! Just in time for my next op! But I don’t have to tell you about that [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Hope you enjoy your WW meeting... social activity does make a huge difference to mood..
Take care x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My beloved tended my Rapunzel/Godiva mane after the shoulder surgery. The shoulder would not be comfortable sitting in a salon back then. Heavenly to have him wash it. And his braiding was much neater and more even than mine. Double treat. Did not even cut it when living on a boat (we used 11 gallons of water a day: 2 for him, 2 for cooking/cleaning, & 7 for me and all this hair).

Your salon wash is both an outing and a washing—how delightful. Restorative.

Last edited:
I just had to let you know... I lost 50 lbs with WW over the past 2 years and I love that program! My work pays the fees, so I took a small break since late June and I'm looking forward to starting up again in a few weeks (about the time my 1/2 time work starts again!) With our new bionic knees we will be up and walking well again for our activity points! Enjoy your day out and about, I'm sure that today's busyness you will feel tomorrow, but just rest as needed!

I understand your point here:
The exhaustion is a funny thing. If I sleep adequately and respect my energy limits, I really feel pretty good at this point. But that's a trap that leads me into overdoing.
This is exactly what I did yesterday and I am having a really rough day today, even my Oxy every 8 hours isn't helping my pain levels. Today I am exactly at 4 weeks, I must have walked a little too far and then I had PT, which is still gentle, but it isn't only my knee (which had a valgus deformity that was also corrected!) My hips and back (where I had surgery in July) are really cramping and causing all sorts of issues. This is honestly the worst I've felt since the first week! :boohoo:

Sorry to be a bit on the dark side, but this is truly one of "those" days!!

@luvcats, I was just perusing the last few posts of yours about being a writer...I could tell from your posts that you were comfortable with writing! I was an educator for 30 years and now work in the legal field for the State of Oregon, (my 2nd career that started at the age of 62!) I too have had a hankering for writing....I joined an online class that I thought I'd do in September, well that month flew by, because this recovery has been so much harder than I imagined, and now I'm trying to mentally prep for going back to work part-time (thanks for the encouragement that things get better at 6-7 weeks!) I'm not sure when I'll start it, luckily it's a program that is self administered so I don't have to meet any deadlines for starting or with submissions. I know I'll get to it eventually!

That energy drain will soon be a thing of the past... I’m 6 months post THR & energy levels are very good now!! Just in time for my next op!
Thank goodness for that! Thanks for the encouragement. It's such a relief to hear from people who really did make it to the other side of healing and didn't just dissolve into goo from too much chair time elevating. I mean, real comparisons to a chrysalis could be drawn here. lol

And his braiding was much neater and more even than mine.
Wow. How lovely. I'm certain that my beloved believes that hair braiding is a special kind of women's magic and not for the likes of him. lol. He's never been interested in learning and he doesn't have any sisters that might have provided background information. Oh well, he has other uses.

I lost 50 lbs with WW over the past 2 years and I love that program!
Well done! It's not easy to do when you can't move well. I had to do a bunch of other work to fix non-food issues like gut biome before we did WW, but I finally have those licked, I believe, and I've done great so far. I'll be glad to get back to it. Still super hungry with odd preferences though, so I know my body isn't ready yet.
I'm sorry to hear yesterday was a down day. They happen, but they suck. I hope today is much better.

Good luck with your writing class. I hope you really enjoy it.

Well darn it. As I feared, I over did yesterday. I was doing fine right up until I got in bed and tried to relax for sleep. Then Newbie leg had a LOT to say, in a quite unladylike fashion. I'm still taking a pain pill before bed, but a half an hour after that wasn't helping I took a second for my full post hospital dose. It did finally let me sleep, but I'm still extra achy today.

I had my 1 month follow up with the surgeon's PA yesterday. That went very well. My extension is perfect. My cold unassisted flex is 105, and even with the excitement, my scar is completely healed. I am cleared to go off the cane when I feel like. I can drive when I feel ready-which is not yet. And I'm allowed to go back to the poo!! Which will be wonderful, but will have to wait until I can drive. And I think a few more weeks of healing before I start that because that is prime overdoing opportunities right there. Everything always feels so free and easy in the pool.
I don't go back until January. It should have been December, but they're already booked solid! The PA laughed and told me it's 'deductible season' and they are the busiest then.

I asked him to put up my old xrays together, now that I know more about how they really ought to look. I'm very glad I did the left leg first. It was severely bowed in a way I didn't realize. And both of them were such a mess, the knobs were barely even round any more. It's such a relief to have my upgrades in.

I had a thought the other day that part of my relative ease of recovery this time has to do with a tremendous relief of mental stress. I knew I really needed both knees done to get my mobility back, just one wasn't going to do it. So I felt a huge amount of stress to get through the first surgery and get on to the second one. Beloved and I didn't even really consider them second events, more like a 2 part single 'project'. So now that it's done and all I have to do is heal on my own time, I'm so relieved.

I think it was the evening meeting that pushed me over the edge last night. I was glad to go. I have missed the people there and it was nice to know I'm down a little from my last pre-surgery weigh in before Newbie. Although that's not reliable since I fluctuate more than that with water and such. But it's nice to know that my body really has needed the extra calories she's been demanding. Lots of extra eating, but no effective gain. I'll take it.

Anyway, today should be quieter. Nothing else major going on until Friday errands.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Air185
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom