Guest viewing is limited

TKR luvcats recovery box

I think you are correct. And some comes from putting accountants in charge of medical decisions and from trying to run healthcare for profit, instead of for the best interests of patients.

The doctors do the best they can within the limits imposed I believe.
 
Great that you get to see the OS right away. Look at it as an additional followup? Maybe an opportunity to ask questions about Newbie and having two?
Good luck
 
Back from an urgent visit to the surgeon, who I actually saw. He cleaned and looked and took a fluid sample to be sure (OUCH not fun) and redressed and gave me antibiotics to be extra certain. He said he wasnt terribly concerned and we could do this or that, and I said I trusted him implicitly but the nurse had freaked me out and I'd do whatever he said. So that's what he did. Likely fine. I'm sure he'll let me know what the cultures say. I feel much better, and now I'm very ready for lunch, leg elevating, and a nap.

Thank you all for holding my hand while I waited.
 
Sometimes I think the less medical personnel involved in our case, the better. Too many opinions is not always a good thing.

I’m glad you saw the surgeon and are at peace with the situation.
 
The cultures came back clean, so it's all good. Just waiting for the last of the incision to heal.
After yesterday's adventure, my leg has been extra sore and the incision is extra prickly-sore and complaining. No surprises there, but it does make me feel sorry for myself.

Yeah, that's about it for today. Just feeling extra sorry for myself. Today is the 2 week mark. A few more days should see me past the worst of it. I'm ready for some improvement.
 
I'm glad your surgeon saw your incision and the cultures came back clear. All good news that should reassure your husband. All you need now is a bit more time and your incision will be completely healed. Things should get better from now on.
 
Oh I'm so glad all is well - and we are happy to hand hold you as often as you need!

Sorry you are feeling glum. It stinks but seems to be part of the process for most of us.
I know you know it will pass & get better...but some days that doesn't help. At least that's what I experienced.

Hugs & love have been sent your way. Binge watch something absorbing & maybe that will occupy your mind.
:console2:
 
Thank you for the hugs. They have been gratefully received. As you said, no amount of knowing it is normal and temporary really helps.

You know what does help?

Walking!!

Walking without pain and burning and limping!

We do not appreciate mobility enough.

Home PT came today and after yesterday's adventure working on bending was right out. But we are having an unusually lovely morning with cool temps and low humidity so we walked outside around my culdesac.

It felt good!
I'm not sure I even remembered that walking can be pleasant. But it is.

Now I'm back with my ice and my LD pillow, but the window is open for some fresh air and birdsong.

It's looking up.
 
We do not appreciate mobility enough.

If I look back at my knee a few years, or more, ago, I realize I'm actually better off now than I was. Do I still have issues? Yes, but I no longer have the bone-on-bone pain, or the pain from a problem with the first implant. Thanks for the reminder to be grateful for where I am, and know that no matter the end result, I am still better than I was.
 
We do not appreciate mobility enough.
Just to be clear, that wasn't directed at anyone here. More at our ablest society. Before things got bad, I never gave real thought to not being able to walk. Or step off curves. Or how stupidly placed and designed many handicapped access points are. Or a lot of things.

I think I may be over the worst. Yesterday was 14 days. I did the stairs twice, just because I wanted something upstairs, and that went just fine, although I can feel it a bit in July, who hasn't been getting enough exercise or ROM while I've been preoccupied. The walk was lovely. I didn't have trouble making some fresh food and I was able to finally sit in my recliner comfortably most of the afternoon.

Today I'll finally get the antibiotics the doctor ordered. My pharmacy was out and needed to order them and by the time my prescription was ready, it was the absolute worst traffic time and we decided, since there is officially no infection in the joint and this is to treat possible cellulitis in the skin and be 'just in case' with the still open (though well dressed) incision, that today would be fine.

I am very ready to smack down the cellulitis. It itches. It is driving me to complete distraction. The only thing that helps, since it is under the dressing, is keeping it cold. Very annoying at 4 am when I don't want to wake up enough to switch out the ice pack and I don't want to wake up the whole household. Awake cats get stroppy about wanting breakfast.

Newbie is still crazy swollen, but that matches progression of July, so I'll just have to wait that out. I'll be able to do a lot more walking this time, which is supposed to help, so we'll see.

Today is supposed to be lovely again, so I have plans to walk at least twice. Beloved can see the street from his office just in case, not that I expect any issues. Our street is quiet and freshly paved and I'll be using the walker.

I am so ready for the cooler temperatures. Yesterday morning when I was feeling sorry for myself I reached out to my sister who rides the bus to work. She sent me pictures of a beautiful clear, fall morning in Upstate NY. They are usually about a month ahead of us on Fall. I'm happy to settle for 'not really summer'.
 
They tell you that every knee is different, and you tell yourself every knee is different, but it is still weird when your knees behave very differently.

July had a lot of pain in the shin where the prosthetic is hammered into the bone. She still does. It's tender, any direct pressure on it is still uncomfortable at just shy of 12 weeks. It was almost 8 weeks before I could start wearing my compression stockings on my calf comfortably. Yesterday I put them on both legs to moderate the ridiculous swelling I have in my whole leg-there's something consistent between them- and it was fine. At 3 weeks.

July had a ton of pain around the tibia and would not twist at all for a long time. Newbie is much less against it, and I think the biggest problem with it is the swelling. I'm pretty sure most of that had to do with all the extra straightening July needed and the weakness in the outside muscles from being twisted up all those years.

Neither leg likes just sitting up in a chair. With July, it was that pain around the prosthetic. Having just the weight of my leg on it made it ache and quickly ramp up to pain. Newbie doesn't like it either, but the issue is mostly in the hamstrings and it's more of an ache that works itself up to a nice tight cramp. Same problem, but very different issues.

Now that I'm walking properly, more or less, with both legs, I'm getting a lot of tension and discomfort in all the muscles in my bum and up the back of the hip on Newbie's side, particularly after laps in the culdesac. I find that odd because that's the leg that's been doing all the walking and most of the work for years.

July had horrific cramping and aching in the quad from minute one. Newbie has had some, but nothing compared to July. I think that's another use related issue, not just from the tourniquets.

I have been following BoneSmart precepts more this time. I've done some stretches and a few exercises but never the full amounts mandated by the PT handout. I'm not noticing any particular difference in the motion in my leg, and I think I've saved myself quite a bit of torturous pain in the first weeks. Then last night, when I woke up at 2 am, which definitely has happened with both knees, Newbie absolutely insisted on moving. Right Now! So I did some lifts and a bunch of stretches, and then I got up and walked a bit, and did some different lifts and stretches. She's a little sore around the incision this morning, but nothing excessive and I still have just a little of the twitchy, need to move feeling. So I guess she's ready for some gentle work. I find it very interesting that she told me she's definitely ready.

It is most unfortunate that the humidity is high and the nice temperatures are gone, so walking the culdesac is out. On the upside, it means I'm mostly ready for outpatient PT to begin on Monday.

Tomorrow will be the Surgeon mandated 5 days and I'll take of the dressing and see how the incision looks. The dressing has absorbed just a little serum drainage, but not much and no blood. Still stings a little.

If I get more computer time today I'm going to read back through @winemama's journal. She's mostly moved on into having a healed life, but she also did her knees 2 months apart. I'll be interested in the history of her journey and the differences between the two experiences now that I know more.
 
Interesting timing after my long comparison this morning. I'm currently laying about with my feet up high on my LD pillow and July let me know that she's been very patient and she would like some time with the ice now.

Another difference is that July liked ice almost all the time in the early days whereas Newbie definitely gets cold enough to ache and be done, even though the ice is really only slush and it is well wrapped in a towel.
 
Interesting comparison!!!

Apparently my knee is sort of a hybrid, halfway between your July and your Newbie with some characteristics of each.

I do almost no PT exercises between sessions. Shame on me but my PT people know and don't care much. I have had 3 PT sessions every single week, including the week of surgery (two in the hospital on the 13th and 14th, then one at home on the 16th). So maybe that is why they don't care.

Walking outside in New Orleans in August or September is insane, so I do as little of that as I can.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom