TKR luvcats recovery box

When you transition from dream list to actual travel, there is now a website for travel safety guidelines:
travel.state.gov
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a fan of yoga with lemurs.
We have designed many trips around opportunities to interact with animals. One cruise we took specifically because a tour option was a properly certified Dolphin swim! That was an amazing experience! This Disney trip is about staying at Animal Kingdom lodge in a room where I can get up and watch the animals in the morning. Designing a trip to England around Yoga with Lemurs is exactly the kind of thing we'd do.

Disney in December is such a delight. My purple sequin ears are in the closet patiently waiting for me to go get some mousekisses again.
Hmm. Maybe I need purpler sequined ears. Our last trip we got Santa hats with mouse ears and we wear them every year. Little kid's eyes get So Big! It's really fun. I've also considered Bride ears as we're celebrating a big anniversary. But purple sequined would go with the purple I overdye my hair. So many decisions!

My vote....Grand Bazaar in Istanbul.....check out Tauck.
Thanks for that referral! For our honeymoon we took a cruise that started in Istanbul, and we got to spend a few hours at the Grand Bazaar. It was amazing and the time we had was just enough to know we didn't have enough time! lol We settled in one shop, drank our apple tea, and bought adorable little boxes for gifts to take home. I'd like time to do a lot more than that. I'm not a big shopper usually, but the Bazaar has so much history. I will definitely check out Tauck.
 
I'm having a weird issue. Or maybe I just haven't found the right other recovery thread. I'm feeling a little off because now that my pain is well managed, my brain doesn't want to believe I'm still recovering. Yesterday I had one of those conversations in my head. Part of me saying "you're a lazy slacker, you need to get back to being useful" with the other part saying "wrong! 6 weeks to regrow bones! Your body is very busy even if your pain receptors got off early. Now sit in your chair." I have read the recovery progression tables several times, but I'm able to do a number of those things without pain or swelling or leg cramps or anything, so the fussy part of my brain isn't taking that as a guide.

Suggestions for adjusting my head chatter would be welcome. I'm only at 3 weeks. I am blessed to be self employed and between clients, so going back to work isn't really an issue I have to deal with.
 
At 3 weeks out you are still very much in recovery mode. Please do not listen to that "get busy" chatter. Sure there is a lot you could be doing - but that does not mean you should. Keep referring to the activity progression and the how long does healing take articles. You are very lucky that your pain is well managed.
 
I’ll let @Roy Gardiner tell you his awesome version of “resting so you can recover.” You’ll love it!
 
OK :)

When you are icing and elevating and watching telly you are not 'dossing around' you are 'engaging a carefully considered proactively designed heuristically programmed dynamically structured recovery programme'.


And it's not really a joke; your body needs those resources to rebuild you.
 
[Bonesmart.org] luvcats recovery box I agree w all of the above, especially as you are going to do another surgery soon. I have underestimated the toll on my stamina from the second surgery. So keep resting and healing.

You cannot have too many ears. The Christmas ones are adorable. And the bride and groom ones are perfect for an anniversary trip.
But purple is purple. Not easily found there either or at least they were not when we last visited (April2018). Purple-loving people everywhere in WDW asked me where I got them.
I got mine in 2015 in the store right to the left of the entrance to Animal Kingdom. The only place I have seen the purple ones. That’s where they were in April2018 also.
I have two: The purple sequined and my original felt beany ears from my first visit in 1971! The latter are too fragile to wear any more. As a child in the 1950’s in Boston, I faithfully watched the Mousketeers and sang along with Annette and Mickey and the whole gang and dreamed of visiting Disneyland.
Have visited both DL and WDW as an adult. Prefer WDW.

PS I recently discovered (a bit creepy ?) that my iphone records my steps every day, and has been doing it since I bought the phone. It is recording only the steps of course when I have the phone on me, in a hipster usually. I tested it and found it accurate. LOL. I looked up the last WDW visit before all the surgeries. Two days: Day one 26,000+ and day two 32,000+ steps!
 
Last edited:
Thanks @Roy Gardiner

Thank you all for the suggestions. I talked to a favorite family member today and she gave my little voice what for in her usual fashion, so now I have something that sits comfortably in my head to combat that voice with.

I have underestimated the toll on my stamina from the second surgery.
Wow. You've had quite a ride. I hadn't read your full list before.
Purple is Purple is a philosophy that really works for me. We are staying at Animal Kingdom so I'll be sure to check the first store for unique Ears. Are those ears part of the hat, or a headband on top?
My travel agent says she routinely gets in 8 to 10 miles a day at the parks. I don't think my new knees will be ready for that kind of excitement yet, so I'm still planning to get an ECV in the park, but it will be a huge relief to just get on and off buses easily and to walk as needed in my hotel and even managing bathrooms. I can't wait.
 
Headband on hat. Chincoteague hat btw—another lovely spot (Chincoteague & Assateague). We used to live in Virginia Beach.
An ECV sounds great. WDW is so huge.
Lots more security recently—nicely done, w lots of lovely dogs. And easier to navigate as they have restricted the size of strollers which were getting to be ridiculously large.
 
Last edited:
@marieltha Some local beach trips will be on our travel list soon. I liked Virginia Beach when we went. Great aquarium.
I'm sure there's a ton more security than in the past, but there is everywhere. shrug.
I think what I really want is a big floppy straw hat with ears. lol. Have to see if I can find one like that.

Another way to combat the little slacker voice is to go to PT, have a really good session, make a simple lunch, and then be utterly exhausted. I slept pretty well, thanks to Oxy, but I'm a little extra sore and tired today. I have extensive plans to do nothing. lol

PT was good though. I did my usual exercises that I do every day. I don't do them at home on PT mornings. Then we talked about my gait. I still have a heavy limp. Some of it is habit, and that I need to fix. Some of it he said is that since my right leg isn't straight, although it's better than the original left knee was, I have a functional discrepancy in leg length, which encourages the limp. That will be fixed in September. So I did some practice in front of a mirror taking one step and keeping my hips level, then doing the same thing stepping back. I did that until the old knee needed a break. Then I did some step practice with a half high step. He said he sees no weakness in the muscle, no straining to step up, and I can start practicing at home as tolerated. This is excellent news. I'm really astonished at how strong the leg still is, after all the years of not much.

I'm also cleared to start using my favorite seated elliptical. I won't go this week, but next week I'll go when my husband goes and see if I can manage a circle yet. No resistance of course.

Today I think I'll see if I can find Ladyhawk streaming somewhere. RIP Rutger Hauer.
 
You are doing amazingly well! I do understand the temptation to overdo. On my previous knee I did things a little earlier than is typically recommended here and sometimes I was OK with it and sometimes I had more pain. I do think the fact that you are having another surgery on top of this very soon, is a very important consideration in dictating how much you do between now and then. Even if your knee is feeling good, your internal reserves are depleted and they take time to rebuild. So if it was me, I would rest much more knowing that you have another surgery coming up. If I did not have another surgery coming up I would probably push the envelope a little just as a way of seeing what I could and could not do. But I live alone and that is me. The last knee I never pushed the envelope like you hear some people doing, just on a fairly small level.
 
Yesterday I was a little extra sore, and that was fine. I also got into a negative place in my head. Bored and frustrated. Too stupid to read or write. Utterly bored with TV, which I don't much like anyway. Frustrated that my preferred movies are still too taxing. I had several strongly worded conversations with myself in my head about gratitude and privilege and tried to keep my whining to myself. I hope today will be better.

I got my first call from the hospital to start scheduling things for the next surgery! You are absolutely right @ElanorG, I urgently need to manage my resources with the next surgery coming up fast.

Tomorrow we'll change the sheets on the bed as my primary ADL task so it will be fresh and inviting again and encourage me to keep my leg up high.
And I need to see if, sometime in the next 4 weeks I can get smart enough to cut out one little girl dress that I can embroider. Smocking is very repetitive but enjoyable enough to help me get through the next phase. Hmm. I might also pick up a crochet hook and work on basic proficiency making doll blankets or something simple.

I recently inherited a bunch of amazing pieces of Victorian embroidery. It has inspired me. My embroidery skills are good, but I don't know how to make lace. That's an advance skill, but I can start now with basic technique.
 
I’m glad I’m not the only one to have strongly worded conversations with myself :loll:

Like you, I am soooo over tv, not yet focused enough for books, and generally bored out of my gourd. I am not-so-patiently waiting for the day I can just walk out the door without thinking ahead, and drive somewhere that is not HERE.

Could you please come and change my sheets too??
 
I understand the boredom and frustration. I am still too dopey to sew as I make way too many mistakes. I do find some TV shows to binge watch and have found a few good movies but one can only take so much of that. I can't read anything challenging and even the mysteries I have I don't remember what was on the previous page. Some days I talk on the phone alot, I just keep calling people. I am probably driving them crazy! And I email people. In terms of your upcoming surgery in addition to adequate rest, I would also bump up my nutrition, really eat lots of all the fresh produce that is in season now, high quality protein and make sure you are getting enough (as most people don't). During this healing time, I supplement my diet with a protein drink that included collagen, protein powder and l-glutamine and just include one of these a day as I know I don't consume quite enough protein in foods. Just a thought.
 
@luvcats
I am picturing you with a blue cloud over your head following you while walking during a “strongly worded conversation “
:rotfl:
@ElanorG @snowdrop
I look forward to PT to get me out of the house. I totally get it the boredom.
I knew I needed something to do as I am not a binge watcher, all the people I know are still working so no talking, and coloring holds my interest about 10 minutes.
I had my mom teach me to make hats on a loom, wind yarn, pull loop over repeat for 40 rows. Mindless...little concentration needed and I have done 20 of them. All will go to charity.
Also, I am legal to drive.... I foresee fewer hats for charity in the next 3 weeks.
 
@Poctdb The boredom is tough. After the first couple of weeks, I feel like the normal me (except for the knee). And so I want to do things and go places, but I can't. I am looking forward to outpatient PT too, just to get out of the house. When I take my walks outside I keep hoping one of my neighbors will be out, just so I can talk to somebody, but I think it is too hot. I know it will get better, just hard being patient.
 
@ElanorG

I am farther along than you and have been lucky with pain and functionality ...but am chafing under this “dictatorship”
I am ready to move away from the system of governance “Mr. Knee Dictator”
I am (patiently sometimes....impatiently most of the time) plotting rebellion......you just wait Mr. Knee.
:) :-) (:
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom