TKR luvcats recovery box

Go Me!!! First try on the seated elliptical and I got full circle, no problem!!! My old knee was stiffer than the new one. I am ecstatic. I did 14 minutes because that's how long I had until Beloved finished his workout. It felt really good.

I also got my hair attended to. 2 outings in one day!
I hope I'm not paying too much for this tonight.

@Poctdb I have some rather grand plans about clearing things up in my office, but so far that isn't really working out. My office is what ought to be the master bedroom. But it gets full afternoon sun and is over the uninsulated garage at the furthest point from the HVAC compressor. I'm not sure who thought that was a good design. In the winter it's seriously chilly. I have a sweater, a pashmina I use to cover my knees, and a space heater. And today, at 9pm it's 80 degrees in the office still. I am absolutely disinterested in hanging out in here right now. Well, there's always September.

Have been to the tile store again, and walked throughout the aisles this time. Yippee!
Yay!! I'm looking forward to being able to just duck into Bed Bath and Beyond quickly. I need a new set of sheets and I like theirs best. Who knew being able to stand in a check out line was a luxury to be savored?
I wouldn’t bother redoing the setup this close to your next knee. To me, the second is easier because you know what to expect when. And of course, most of us have done the worst knee first, so the second probably isn’t as draconian a recovery.
Excellent points. I should just leave it. I can use the kitchen table for the few things that I usually use the folding table for. If the second recovery goes as well as the first I'll be completely delighted! I know we aren't supposed to compare.
If nothing else, the second will be easier on my husband, knowing what I'll need and how to manage.
 
Great progress!! I managed to walk down a steep little hill on my dog walk. Hadn't been able to do that for ages!! Planning on rtkr in April 2020 if i can make it that long!!! Did the big grocery shop on my own last Friday, another milestone!! Your home office sounds like mine!!
 
To my complete not-surprise, I had trouble getting comfortable last night. Today I really must remember to put ice on the knee right after we get home from the gym. I'll be doing some thing morning too, right after Beloved gets up for the day.
 
:kitty:I have a question out of curiosity: Did your OS recommend the elliptical?
I ask because after my first knee (April 2018), I was walking really well and started back to the gym (slowly, not every day), and did a short, slow stint on the treadmill. I was thrilled and proud to report my progress at my next followup. (Pride is a deadly sin, I think).

When I told my OS, he was quite stern (exasperated?) with me, stating firmly that it was too soon to be on a machine! He said walking on the padded gym floor was fine, but not a machine. Oops.

Over-Achievers of the world unite.

PS Yours is a seated elliptical, though, so ....
 
Last edited:
14 minutes for your first go round on the bike may be why you had a hard night. My PT only had me do 5 minutes after getting a full rotation and then worked up to 15 minutes after a couple of weeks. Be careful you don’t join the ODC!
 
Yes, it's easy to get overconfident and then overdo. You're right it's a good idea to ice after any activity.
 
OS told me to never use a treadmill again.......
 
I've heard that a treadmill is bad for tkrs. It's something about the bounce, I think. I used my recumbent bike in my recovery, but only for a very few minutes. I also found that when I woke up at night in pain that I could jump on the bike for about 5 minutes and my knee would calm down. Crazy!
 
Are we talking about standard walking treadmill or regular elliptical machine? I know you can adjust treadmill to barely walking but standing elliptical in my gym is lots more tiring since it involves using your whole body .. I cannot use any longer since it bothers my SI joints.. I did use the Nustep seated recumbent bike in early PT which was much easier.. just clarifying? I do know I’m not quite ready for extra weights and 12 weeks tomorrow.. still early in the game!
 
@luvcats I bet you’re referring to the Nustep seated recumbent elliptical machine.. yes that one is great! I always warmed up in PT on that one! Wish my own gym had one like that!
 
Did your OS recommend the elliptical?
I haven't seen my OS since the surgery and won't see him until Tuesday. I did discuss it with my PT and he thought it would be fine.
Because my right knee also urgently needs replacing and causes a lot of pain, I can't do nearly as much walking as everyone would like me to do. I should be taking short neighborhood walks several times a day and I can't do that. The seated elliptical is one of my best options for getting in that motion without messing with the old knee. It was my primary exercise before surgery, along with the pool which isn't an option right now.

@knee#2 I don't know about the brand name, but what I use is a seated recumbent elliptical machine. It does the arms and the legs, but without standing so easier on a lot of the lower joints. It's at my local community rec center. I don't usually love living in such a crowded urban area, but there are some perks, like Top 10 surgeons and rec centers with pools and really nice fitness areas.

I'm using it at the lowest resistance setting and going just about fast enough that it doesn't shut itself off. lol. I added bromelain and curcumin back into rotation for the anti-inflammatory effect and that helped a lot. I feel it in the knee, of course, but now that my knee straightens, or almost I can feel the change in engagement in my hip quite a bit. I did 12 minutes yesterday and with just a little pharmaceutical help, I slept great.

I have PT today, so no gym. When I have PT, that's the only thing I do in the day except for a few stretches to loosen things up in the morning. I'm going to ask for non-weight bearing exercises to strengthen hamstrings. I'm having trouble convincing my brain to start using the upgraded leg on the stairs. I think my hamstring muscles just don't feel strong enough.
 
I have a question. Did anyone get specific dietary advice for recovery? Beyond just 'eat plenty of protein'.
I read in some articles that the Hospital for Special Surgery determined that you need between 15 and 20 extra calories per lb body weight during the healing, but I can't find any of the primary sources, nor can I find details like, for how long. My OS didn't give me any guidelines at all. Normally I follow a weight loss diet. I've lost 75 lbs with a lot more to go. I took a break from that in the earliest days, but now I'm wondering what my body really needs between recovery and the next surgery upcoming. My protein is generous and I'm careful about nutrition anyway, but I'd be a lot more comfortable if I could find some research with real guidelines.
 
A seated elliptical sounds ideal. I am going to ask my husband if our gym has one. We had changed gyms right before my March knee and May shoulder, so I only went once or twice to the new location because I was using a pool everyday for the PTT in the foot. I will check our Y also.

We have our own pool (Florida must have), but heating it is ridiculously expensive. Basically, it is like you add another electric hvac and then run it 24/7, which we don’t want to listen to either. Solar doesn’t warm it enough and you have to use a blanket (did that at a previous house). Natural gas to heat a spa is fine, but also, too expensive for the whole pool. Ten months of the year, ours is fine. I use the heated outdoor pool at the Y in the nippy winter months.

Unlike a seated bike, an elliptical should be okay on your soon-to-be-new knee, too. When I was between knees, the new one was fine on the bike, but the bad knee did not like it. Kept yelling, “Fix me!” Elliptical motion is much better.

I agree about only PT on those days, based on my PT experiences in the past. You do more than it seems.

So glad to hear you up and out and doing well.
 
@marieltha I did not realize what a huge financial commitment a pool would be! Sheesh! A whole other HVAC?

Unlike a seated bike, an elliptical should be okay on your soon-to-be-new knee, too. When I was between knees, the new one was fine on the bike, but the bad knee did not like it. Kept yelling, “Fix me!” Elliptical motion is much better.
Yesterday the PT tried me on a bike for the first time. New knee thought it was fine, but liked the elliptical better. Old knee? Threw a toddler worthy tantrum. I wound up on some kind of recumbent stepper. It worked ok but 'used up' a lot of what my old knee can do in a day.

I miss the pool terribly. My knee is beautifully healed, so after my appointment Tuesday I could go back if I wanted. But it's still summer camp season and the shallow end where I walk is blocked off most of the day for camp classes. Camps are done on the 15th, but then on the 24th they're closing for annual maintenance, so there's no point. :( It will have to wait until October.

Although, I have to wonder, once I have 2 healthy, functioning knees, will I still want to mess with walking in the pool, or will I just move up and start doing more machines in the workout room. With 2 bad knees I couldn't get in and out of a lot of the equipment. We shall see.
 
It's been so hot here, I'm having trouble staying sufficiently hydrated. I always have water with me, but I can't always remember to actually drink it.

Yesterday PT was mostly good. The bike thing didn't work, but you have to try and see. My flexion is up to 107. My extension is still -5 but I let him do some careful stretches and he said he's not worried about it, it isn't the joint that is tight, it's my IT bands. So that's something for me to be working on stretching at home.

I did more stair training. I used the next step up, so about 3/4 but not a full step. Step up with the new knee, then step down with the new knee. Then walk around to the other side and do it again. They have a stabilizing bar that helps me, but it's only on one side, hence the walking around. Plus it's all good for me. I think this is really helping retrain my brain that the left leg is now open for business.

I didn't sleep well again, but I don't think it was the knee this time, I think it was just too hot in my room. This summer seems endless. I do not like hot. whine.
 
Still hot. Still not sleeping. We should have a few days of 'not too horrible' weather coming up. I hope that will help.
 
I can’t sleep when it’s too hot either. And of course sleep deprivation makes everything worse. I wish you lived nearby. We have a spare room with tons of a/c. Hoping the weather where you are improves soon.
 
Can you imagine 2 TKR's in the same house, even if it is cool
I'm not sure what you mean here?
I wish you lived nearby. We have a spare room with tons of a/c.
That's a sweet offer. Thanks. We have a/c but its actually a heat pump. Normally it works great, but when the temps are really extreme, it has trouble keeping up, both hot and cold. Obviously DC doesn't get super extreme weather very often, just a few days there and there. It's just been an unusually hot summer here, like so many places, and I'll be glad when the season turns.
 
My usually busy Friday. I seem to have abused my new ability to sit with my leg down. It just felt so good to be able to sit normally and get up easily. I'll be spending the rest of this morning with the LD pillow.

I reached out to my crafty friends and decided that knitting is the craft I need for my September recovery. One of them is going to set me up with the proper tools for a beginner project. I hope I learn to like it. I tried to learn many years ago but it didn't take. I suspect it was my very impatient teacher. We shall see.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom