TKR luvcats recovery box

Most public libraries are available through the Overlook app. You can download it from the App Store.
I browse and check out items from the San Antonio Public Library from my recliner.
 
I know they say to wait 6 weeks until riding the grocery cart. The first knee I think I rode the cart at week 3 or 4 and the person who was helping me walked alongside and carried all the groceries. I think I did OK with that. They didn't have grocery delivery then. This time I suspect I will have people shop for me or opt for the grocery delivery. Overdoing it will trigger more cramping.

This morning I stood in the kitchen for approximately 5 minutes. My knee didn't hurt much but my hips got more and more achy as time passed and I could feel them trembling. So new muscles are learning to fire and they are weak. But this is part of the process.
 
I didn't think the store was a big deal because I used a cart and my only walking was in and out of the car. Shows what I know. And the 'meal' was browning meat while sitting in my stove chair and adding cooked rice. Again, how could that be tiring? D'oh. Apparently it is.
luvcats, you're only two weeks out as yet and if you read the Activity Progression article (page 2) You will get a good idea of what you should and should not be doing. And going out to the shops at this stage is definitely NOT a good thing to do!
 
@winemama I have a kindle paperwhite and I love it. I can read it in the dark or turn off the backlight for bright sunshine. It's perfect. I've loved having it for travel. Remember when you could only pick a few for a long vacation and you'd either run out, or one you brought turned out to be a dud? I love having a huge stack of books at my fingertips at all times.

Even now, when I can't yet get interested in reading them. lol
 
I absolutely did read the activity progression article. During my waiting/fidgeting pre-op period, I read everything . lol But personal experience also comes in to play. I had major surgery back in December, so I was basing some of my decisions on that, instead of outside guidance. Which was apparently a mistake, live and learn. Even with that, I wasn't out shopping within 2 weeks, because it was abdominal surgery and I had a strict lifting limit. And I think that is what tripped me up. While carefully acknowledging that my leg wasn't up for anything at all, I failed to consider the effect on the whole body. I'll do better next time, and going forward.

Two days of strict rest and elevation along with consistent application of magnesium oil has seen an end to most of the cramping and a return of adequate sleep.
 
This morning I stood in the kitchen for approximately 5 minutes. My knee didn't hurt much but my hips got more and more achy as time passed and I could feel them trembling. So new muscles are learning to fire and they are weak. But this is part of the process.

I'm starting to notice this just in the little activity I'm allowing myself. I can really feel the change in my hips. I urgently wish someone would massage my foot. I'm walking completely differently and the muscles in my foot are so confused!
 
Today is officially 2 weeks!
My husband goes back to work full time today. That will give us a few new challenges but I think the system we've worked out will hold up.
I'm supposed to see home PT today to be released and turned over to outpatient. I'm really hopeful that I'll get good people for outpatient.
And tomorrow a home care nurse is supposed to come and take out my staples. My incision is beautiful and has healed very cleanly. I'm confident that will go well.
 
Best of luck today luvcats. It will feel odd being alone today but I hope you don’t overdo it!
Are you glad you did this surgery or would you recommend it? I know it’s early days still so you may not have made up your mind. I see so many people with awful complications and need for revisions etc. that I’m just wondering if the risk of things going wrong is really worth taking. I’m hoping you continue to improve. You have a great attitude.
 
@Patsyo Thanks for the compliment. Since I can hear the uncensored dialog in my own head, I don't think my attitude is great at all! lol.

I would absolutely recommend the surgery. Fortunately, I am healing well and cleanly. But even in the earliest days when my pain management was totally wrong, I still felt that the pain in standing and walking was better in my new knee than the old original knee. I was about 4 years well past needing the surgery when I finally found my surgeon who would do the operation despite my high weight and therefore higher statistical risk.

I would absolutely recommend it if you are living in daily pain. I am counting the days until September 4, which is when I'm scheduled to have the other one 'upgraded'. Even with all the pain and frustration, life is better already.

I don't know what the general statistics on revisions are, but even if I need one in the future, it will still be better then the inability to walk for all the years between now and then.

It will feel odd being alone today but I hope you don’t overdo it!
Oh, fortunately, he isn't actually leaving. They are doing major work on the public transportation in our area that he usually uses to travel to his office. He's telecommuting from his office in the house all summer. That was one of the factors that made this year perfect for my surgeries. He'll be working, but in case of emergency, he's physically here.
 
That’s good to know your husband is around. So great that he can work from home.
Thanks for encouraging words about the surgery. I’m delighted to hear your pain has been reduced.
 
I find your attitude very positive, @luvcats. You sound stronger every post also.
I am going to look into potassium levels after reading your post. I started adding some banana most days when I was taking the tramadol and it started interfering with my sleep (serotonin syndrome?). It helped.
 
You are all so kind! Thank you for the complement!
 
@marieltha I'm so glad the bananas helped! You know, bananas get all the press for potassium, but they aren't all that high really. If you like avocado, they are the best possible potassium source. Also potatoes are excellent. A quick google will show a lot of things we don't think of for potassium that are actually really good. I did a lot of research on it back when I started having a problem. Not that there's anything wrong with bananas.
 
Last night was not so great and today I'm achy and crampy. It feels like 'did too much' but I don't have any idea what I could have done. It may just be that my recliner doesn't elevate my knee high enough and I can't put the correct number of pillows on by myself. Or, it could just be the usual ups and downs of healing.

Today I'm being released from home care. Which is fine. I have, in general, been quite disappointed with the quality of home care. They come and spend all their time ticking boxes on their tablets, leaving me feeling quite superfluous to the process. And it's a different person each time, so there is no advantage in continuity. The only thing interesting about today is we're finally taking my staples out. I'm very well healed and looking forward to that. My incision is short and clean. With my super fair skin, in 3 years you'll have to look to find the scar. Not that I care either way.
 
Hurray for staple removal! It will feel so good afterwards! You’re lucky with having a short incision. Mine is long, crooked and quite unsightly...but as you said, I don’t care either. The general public hasn’t seen my knees in decades, lol. I don’t even own a pair of shorts!

I find the concept of home care after surgery rather interesting. Living here in Canada, it is not even an option that is offered unless you are completely on your own AND completely incapacitated. We are sent home a day or two after surgery and then expected to find our way to the closest hospital for pt a few days later. Health care pays for pt, but only in hospital settings...private clinics will not take on recovery clients until they have been released from the hospital pt.

Take the time today to rest, ice and elevate. Sounds like that is what your body is telling you...listen! This journey is such a rollercoaster. I often have no idea what I’ve done to aggravate the baby knee, but who am I to argue when it’s achy and crampy?

I know you like to watch Netflix...have you watched Broadchurch yet? BBC detective show...so, so good!
 
Re: Broadchurch: Excellent drama, excellent cast—Not light and fluffy, though. Similar to The Killing.

Thanks for the other ideas for foods high in potassium. I love avocados, but lack the self control to eat only the normal portion. Bananas and avocados are both rosacea triggers as well, so I have to do one or the other. I am capable of eating a piece of banana and it boosts serotonin so I tend to go w that. I love broccoli, strawberries, and sweet potatoes and I have been eating those frequently and do have more energy. I ended up reading activebeat.com (?) about potassium deficiency and it was striking how often muscle cramps, discomfort, etc, were mentioned.

I have days that seem inexplicable , too —some painful and others somewhat pain-free/ less painful—during recovery.
 
@snowdrop I think here in the US insurance companies can contract visiting nurses at a very low rate compared to office visits, or it may have to do with the shortage of physicians so nurses do what they can in stead of doctors? I won't see my OS until my 4 week check.

I haven't tried Brooadchurch yet. I'm not usually a fan of detective series, but the BBC does them well, so I'll give it a look. Right now I'm watching Bramwell, a drama about a Victorian lady doctor. Very diverting.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom