Bilateral TKR Luisa's road to recovery June 10th, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Louisa,
Please ask about Ativan at your doc. App. It helps with so much, headaches, nausea, anxiety, sleeping,
As for moving your bowels, milk of magnesia, it works in 1 day I must warn you.....because of the iron they give in the
Hospital, your 1 st bowel movement will be black ( sorry I,m so graphic) have your husband to get some at the pharmacy.
I think your headaches are due to stress....
I will check back tonight....take care....diana
 
Ok...headache and stomach nausea is directly related to oxycontin or percocet. Time to change meds...I cant take the constant rollercoaster between knee pain to head or stomach pain. I am going to stay on plain tylenol until I get appt with pain management dr ...hopefully tomorrow. In the meantime I want to use ice full force. ******* can someone please leave me link or recipe for alcohol and water gel packs?********
 
Dearest Louisa,
Please wait until you see your doctor before stopping your pain meds. As you know, pain should be controlled &
If left to get to high it will be very hard to control :gaah: as you know all opioids have bad side effects, but for each side-effect
There is a med. to handle it.
Please write down all your problems for the pain doc. I can,t say enough about Ativan- it helps so many off your problems.
If p.t is painful for you& you are tired of hearing about rom. Take a week off......just ice, elevate, pain meds on time.
Gentle stretching :)
You shouldn't,t be so uncomfortable....please work with your doctors & let us know how you do......we care..
Thinking of you, take care.....diana
 
I just couldnt bear the thought of bringing another pill to my mouth. My headache was unbearable, so bad pain in my legs took a backseat.

I called OS this morning. Office paged her and gave her mesg. She is changing meds to Ultram and Xanax. Does anyone else use these? I cant get the scriots til tomorrow morning since its a controlled substance, they cant call it in to the pharmacy.
 
Hey, Ultram is tramadol. My dr. was able to call that in. I am taking it and it does help. I know others on here take or took it too. I don't take xanax, but it is an anti-anxiety med. I had the constipation too. I started doing miralax everyday in a beverage and that took care of it. I felt so much better. I am sorry everything is so rough. I was already on an antidepressant and an anti-inflammatory before the surgery and I think that has helped me with some of this. Did you take anything regularly before the surgery? I have arthritis in multiple places so I have taken diclofinac for several years. You might try adding ibuprofen or aleve to your tylenol. It really might make a difference. I can tell when mine has worn off. I take it twice a day.
Hang in there. One of my pt persons told me three weeks was the turning point for a lot of people.
 
Hello Louisa,
I am so sorry about your headaches :tantrum: they must really be bad if that pain is worse than your knees.
Xanax is a stronger version of Ativan (it lasts longer in your body) it will help you relax, sleep, relax your muscles :)
Be forewarned it can lead to depression ( all benzos do) possible get an anti-depressant to go along with it.
Did you get some milk of magnesia, it really works well.
I will :angel: for your pain to be manageable...
Your in my thoughts.....hugs.....diana
 
Thank you Diana and Boydmom. I am finally conquering my constipation. So much so, that now I have the exact opposite problem. At least im feeling less bloated and nauseous. Stopping the meds has been the best thing, even tho I have pain in my knees...no headache or nausea all day. Too late to discuss rx with surgeon, hubby going in the am to pick up script, then I start outpatient PT. I hope tomorrow things continue to look up, even if it is a slow uphill, at least things are alittle better. Hoping the ultram does not give me the same side effects. Looking forward to stronger meds for pain. Tylenol does nothing and I cant take advil for 1 more day since I am still on injectible blood thinner. Thanks for the continued support and orayers.
 
Louisa,
So glad your headaches are gone...I hope your new meds will help you & you will be as pain free as possible :)
Please keep us up-dated....we care about you, :kittykiss: diana
 
Thank you so much Diana! Allejuiah!!! no headache for over 24 hours! Moving bowels, even though we might have gone to the opposite extreme, at least Im getting cleaned out. I cant tell you how different I feel out of my medication fog. I am crying just typing about it. I just started taking Xanax and Ultram. Xanax has calmed me down, Ultram has not removed all pain, but understandably, I just took the first dose after not taking anything but tylenol for almost 2 days, so it may need more time to really work well. I went to PT today )outpatient) for the first time and i like the place and the therapist very much so far. I am a Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant by trade, so I was ready to dissect the place for any wrong doings. Therapist understood I was 2 days with no pain meds and pushed me but not too far. Once she saw pain, she would hold back alittle on the passive stretches, we did 6 different exercises that she printed out for me to do 2-3 times a day. I will shoot for 2 times a day for now while Im still not at 100%. I felt good to have been able to complete all that was asked of me. Therapist gave me a rundown on how therapy would go, started at the lying down exercise stage, progressing in difficulty, to then moving to more upright exercises. I liked that. I felt she really took my pain seriously , but at the same time made me understand I had to push myself to get results. One key thing she said that sealed the deal....We need to make sure we get you at 0 degree ext and 130 degree flexion before the 1 year mark. you dont want to have a permament loss in ROM. Alot of PT's might say 6 weeks, or 3 months. I was sold so far. I am back to feeling slightly hopeful and slightly motivated to do more. Praying this feeling lasts.
 
Luisa,
Wonderful post :) I hope your new meds. Help you, your p.t sounds wonderful. We're you by any chance on
Percocet.....I think that,s what makes me :cry:
Things are falling into place for an amazing recovery for you......so glad you are feeling better
On ward & up ward.....diana :kittykiss:
 
Thanks Diana. Yes I was on percocet. so glad to be off it. I feel like im coming out of a horrible haze. I have taken2 doses of ultram so far. It seems to help a bit, but I have been on only tylenol for 2 days so it may take a few doses to take full effect over pain. Just hoping side effects arent bad. Took a short walk outside tonight after taking a nap after my PT session. Felt good but I was pretty tired. Will try to do my execises 2x tomorrow and hope my PT gets approved quickly ( just had my evaluation today technically)
 
One year? Hallelujah, you finally got a therapist who sees the big picture and takes the long view (and hopefully uses fewer clichés than I do :)). Arthritis didn't happen overnight, and neither should recovery.

I had severe postpartum depression that hit six weeks after my son was born. Along with that kind of depression comes anxiety; it took three shrinks to figure out the right combo of meds for me, one of which was Xanax. Xanax does not cause depression--but quitting it too abruptly does. (What seems like "depression" while on too large a dose is not psychological/biochemical "depression" but central nervous system depression, akin to sedation--and since you've discontinued opiates and will not be on an excessive dose of Ultram you'll be fine). This is not the time to think about that; in fact, at sensible working doses Xanax is really good at damping any tendencies to "catastrophize" (the dreaded "what-ifs" to the nth power). It'll help you stay with the here & now. I've been on antidepressants for decades (six years w/o them, and then beginning Prozac because I'd heard back then it caused weight loss), first for weight loss and then to acknowledge that depression is chronic and ought to be held at bay. Since 1999 my antidepressant of choice has been Wellbutrin: it's fairly "transparent" in terms of side effects and really does control cravings (for many, nicotine; for me, carbs). Take advantage of what is prescribed for you, and work with your doctors when (and only when) you feel the need for them has passed so that you can wean yourself off them without incident. (And you WILL be able to).

I'd never heard the "third week's the charm" theory before, but it makes sense: tomorrow makes 3 wks post-op and I'm headed home, carrying (but not necessarily using) my cane. Yesterday, after returning from my OS' followup, was really a watershed--even PT seemed easier. You'll get there too!
 
Thank you diva. Monday made 3 weeks for me as well. I am hoping I have turned the corner and so far so good with the new meds. Thanks for the support!
 
Luisa, you have had a rough time of it but hopefully you are on the right road now. I will begin my outpatient PT this evening (well, an evaluation). I'm nervous and scared. I have continued my home exercise plan since home PT was done last Wednesday but fear of the unknown is creeping in again. I have gotten through my days with just Tylenol and ice and tolerance. My night time consists of two Percocet (which has been kinder to me than you). I get up and walk a lot, change chairs a lot and finally can side sleep now. I have finally called my PMD to set up some time for discussion about the "cardiac event". I feel fine from that perspective but want to make sure I am on all the right meds, etc. I am healing and dealing (with business) as my mood allows. Some days are easier than others. Chin up.....this is all a process (sometimes slower than we would like).
 
Dawna, I started my outpatient on tuesday and I was scared too but it was great. As much as I hate the thought of going, I am so happy when im done. I got thr call today from the therapy place that I have been approved through insurance, so I will now be going 3x a week. I hope your cardiac appt goes well. Best to go and be informe0d than to wonder and worry.

My left leg is giving me a helluva time. Right has minimal pain. The pain I feel is deep, and I feel it mostly in my thigh but all over. I know this was the more difficult leg, having more valgus. I guess im jjst wondering if this pain is normal, even after taki g an ultram.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Luisa's road to recovery  June 10th, 2013
Luisa, if your surgeon had to do a bit more work to make correction for your valgus on your left, it will probably be your bad girl for a while. Then eventually both knees seem to get to the same point in recovery. My right was my bad girl---and now 20 months post op it's my left knee that tends to get sorer when I get carried away and try to do a week's work around the house in one day. So who really knows with knees---they have a life of their own. But no point in comparing them---they're just as different as day and night.
 
Luisa I am week five and my left leg is lagging a bit behind too. I figure it will catch up. So glad PT went well.
 
Louisa,
Wishing you a wonderful pain free day :) your p.t sounds like an :angel: please keep icing & elevating.
It will help with the pain.
Happy 4 th of July & let's have a relaxing day..
All my best to you..
Diana :kittykiss:
 
Happy 4th of July all! I had a pretty good day yesterday. Went out for early dinner with my work friends. admittedly I couldnt wait to leave as the pain in my left leg was nagging. Since then, my thigh close to the knee has been in a lot of pain. Ultram is not as bad, as far as side effects, as percocet, but not without them. Mild headache all night, so I will have to go very easy on them. Now that I am not on injectible blood thinner, I am fillingin with advil. I know that pain is normal, but I feel like I need to speak to my surgeon about this. I will be calling to make an appt tomorrow. I hope to get to see her early next week. I dont know how much longer I can feel this nagging pain without literally losing my grip. Also it makes me not want to do my daily exercises. At leastI now have my outpatient therapy scheduled for 3x a week. I have been icing a lot on and off and elevating as much as possible. Ice helps while its on. Honestly, the pain, although not tremendous, is totally physically and mentally exhausting. I feel like its work to lift my arms. I CANT WAIT TO FEEL NORMAL AGAIN!!
 
Well Luisa, sounds like you are doing somewhat better. Maybe the surgeon can help. I know my dr. said there were all kinds of things we could try for pain if the one I was using didn't work. There are also other anti-inflammatories. Are you taking the prescription dose of ibuprofen? Look it up online. It is a lot more than what the bottle says. I know what you mean about feeling normal. I've been able to start driving and that has made me feel so good. I hope things continue to look up.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom