Bilateral TKR Luisa's road to recovery June 10th, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
My restless leg symptoms lasted a couple of days, so hopefully yours will go away quickly!
 
P/T is coming tonight . Lets see how this goes. Imthinking my best plan should be going to an outpatient center. Commitment to myself: call 800 number givento me by social worker to find hospital affiliated center
 
Glad to hear you got out. I was going to suggest that you try to do something outside of the house if possible. I have found that making myself get dressed and just going out to eat with friends made a huge difference with the way I felt. Going out to rehab has also helped. Maybe you can get that worked out. Good luck.
 
Today was day 18. It was an awful day. Had 3 cifarettes today. Cried on and off all day. I realized that if my PRN meds will last me the full 15 days I can only take 1 every 4 hours. Yet the description says 1-2 tablets every 4 hrs for pain. Didnt read the fine print I guess...8 max per day. My left leg is in pain...dull buzzing ache. 1 doesnt make that go away. I am angry. I am not a drug abuser, in fact wheni went to pain management pre surgery they tried togive me narcotics and I couldnt take them. Now when I need them, they are holding them back. Does this make ay sense?? Im just tired of hurting, tired of not beingable to do enuf for myself. Im supposed to sgart out patient therapy tuesday. I will also be making appt with my pain management dr, the one I used pre surgery. Maybe hecan suggest something for this break thru pain. Im also tired of people telling the worst is over...no...its not....I feel like this ispretty bad right now. Like I said bad, horrible day, cant sleep, cant find comfortable position. Thanks for letting me vent....
 
Oh yes, meant to ask...my leftthigh muscle is twitching a lot today. Anyone else experience this annoying twitching?
 
Dearest Louisa,
I,m so sorry you are feeling so blue...it comes with the territory...I was on anti-depressants & still cried everyday
For 2 weeks straight.please don,t get upset about running out of pain meds. You can call your surgeon & as a back-up
With your pain management doc. Don,t be upset about the cigarettes, I couldn't,t imagine quitting now.
It will come when you are ready. Possible you could ask for a muscle relaxant. I have Ativan which is for anxiety, but it also
Helps with sleeping & relaxing muscles. I call it my miracle drug.
I hope you have a better day....your in my thoughts & prayers
( can you believe I still spelled your name wrong) oh well, we both no who you are
Diana
 
Hugs to you Louisa. Now you know why everyone refers to this as a roller coaster. Lots of highs and lots of lows. I am fortunate that Tylenol helps my pain, so between that and ice, I am able to get from dose to dose. Have you tried that or ibuprophen? I have leg jerks, not twitches. Like when you are about to fall asleep. I can have several every minute, but mostly in the evenings. I don't know what it is from, but know that it does go away with time. I hope today is better for you and you can find a way to keep yourself from smoking--can't imagine how hard that is. I will be thinking of you today.
 
Louisa, I am feeling all the pains and hurts you feel. Last night for me was HORRIBLE! I to have cut back on my pain meds because they make it so hard to get them. I am in more pain because of this. My Hubby also has to take time off from work to drive me to PT. I dread PT! Yesterday's session was so brutal. I think it is just where we are at in the healing process. Take care my friend!
 
Luisa
The twitches: I had a few of those, plus what I call "zingers" - as though bees were buzzing in my knees. All those cut nerves are reconnecting and finding their pathways, so odd things will happen.

Please be kind to yourself re: the tears. Between the physical and mental adjustments BTKR requires, tears can be a cleansing release. I spent the first two months thinking not in terms of bad days and good days, but bad HOURS and good hours--that's how often my mood seemed to swing around.

Being tired of pain, difficulty, rehab, dependence, etc. - we have all felt that. Today I had a big teary spell over feeling "useless" around the house as my husband digs ands plants a huge new flower garden. I hurt my back on Monday so feel I've gone backward...today I can't even make a bed or empty the lower half of the dishwasher. Ugh! However, my knees are working well!

As all the Bonesmarties have said...you are in some of the toughest parts of recovery in terms of mood. This will pass- really, it will!
 
Thank you for all the support. I wish I could report today was a better day. I had a wicked headache all day....the mother of all headaches, and general nausea, feelings of not being able to breathe in sync, which was all part of my anxiety. Sleep was my only escape, with ice on my head and neck. Every time I woke up I would cry more since the pain in my head wouldnt go away. Its 10 pm and my head is alittle better. I have a feeling its connected to my stomach and these pills. I havent taken a pain pill since 12pm because of the severe nausea, i took only tylenol and managed to get through the day with pain in my knees but at least my stomach somewhat settled. I ate toast, and oatmeal so far, with mylanta a few times, especially right before the tylenol. I cried last night because of the forced decrease in pain pills, and i feel like Im being punished for complaining about it, so now I cant take any for fear I will have more headache pain.

I think exercise helps me, but today, exercise is impossible. I am hoping tomorrow is a better day. I am feeling hungry now, which is a good sign, and I have moved my bowels ever so slightly a few times today, so I also think this is part of the headache problem. I am still thanking the Lord I went with bilateral surgery, because now more than ever, i KNOW i would NEVER have gone for the second surgery after all this. I am hoping, like childbirth, that when this all passes, the pain will be a distant memory and all this will become a fleeting moment in time. For right now, I feel totally alone in this, even though the hubby took off to stay with me today. So odd that I feel alone, except for being able to say everything here, but I honestly feel like a huge burden right now, and continuing to complain to him after he has dealt with me crying on and off all day is just more than I prefer to deal out to him.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Luisa's road to recovery  June 10th, 2013
Lmarshall, Luisa, that you are having such a hard time. Have you considered talking with your OS or your GP about a change of medication and perhaps something for nausea? You really need to be able to take pain meds for the next few weeks. Being in pain slows recovery along with making you miserable. And yes, you will forget the pain and misery that you're going through right now---that's how nature makes it possible for us to get through these things more than once in a lifetime.


Luisa, this is very early days in a very long recovery. You need to be taking pain meds on a schedule, resting most of the time, elevating those legs (toes above nose) and icing, icing, and icing some more. Exercise should be kept slow and easy and not more than 30 minutes of it all day long. Walking should be restricted to going to and from bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, and daytime nesting spot. Less is more at this point in recovery. A lot of healing is trying to take place---but too much activity interferes with it.

Things will begin to look and feel better in another 3 weeks. The secret to recovery is TIME & PATIENCE. You have to have (or find) the PATIENCE to give your knees the TIME they need to recover at their own pace. You cannot push them---if you do they will make you pay with pain and swelling and taking longer to get better. Recover is what it is, and it's going to take as long as it's going to take.

You CAN do this! I have faith in you. And I promise you it will get better, and one day you WILL be glad you did this. In the meantime, follow the BoneSmart mantra---it really does work---and bring your ups, downs, woes, and worries to us here on the forum---venting is good for the soul.

Please take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] Luisa's road to recovery  June 10th, 2013
 
Luisa, all I can add to what others have said is that it DOES and it WILL get better, but this is very early in recovery. Talk to your doctors (especially your pain specialist) about your options for pain and nausea control. (Ginger is a very good anti-emetic, either as candied for chewing or fresh raw ginger steeped in hot water with sweetener to make a tea). And don't suppress the tears: that's why Nature provided us with the ability to cry. Know you are not alone here!
 
Louisa,
How are you feeling today....better i hope...I actually painted my nails yesterday ( neon orange) i did no
Cpm or exercises yesterday...just iced, elevate, pain meds on time. I am back to everything today, but
It sure was nice to have a day off, p.t comes tomorrow morning. About pain meds....I will have to cut down when p.t
Want,s me to walk outside ( can,t look up without getting dizzy)
My husband & my 25 Ann. Is July 29 I think I will book a room up in Maine, lobsters & strawberry daiquiri,s
Are my passions in life. Something to look forward to....
P.s.....this i pad keeps changing the way I spell your name.....I thought it was my meds. Ha. Ha.
I hope you have a nice day, you deserve it
Diana
 
Luisa, Diana's definitely on to something. That's why the rehab center has free manicures twice a week (with all the latest polish colors). Heck, if you can find someone to paint your toenails as well, so much the better. It's hard to feel down when you look at your foot and see "bling" on your toes! They also feature a different "virgin" drink every day at Social Hour: yesterday's were virgin Mojitos (Diet Sprite and fresh mint).

So sorry about your horrible headache. (At least it wasn't the Mother-In-Law of all headaches). As to the deep muscle aches, some of them come from stretching we'd never really done before the surgery and some are "referred" pain from the surgical site. You are on the right track doing massage--not only does it distract your brain's pain perception mechanism by providing sensation signals elsewhere than the surgical site, it also can reduce edema by promoting circulation back towards your heart. Just make sure your massage strokes run upwards towards your heart (though your heart is "downstream" while sufficiently elevated) and you start at the ankle and go gradually up the leg to the thigh. (Advice from my OT).

Why not make that massage seem less therapeutic and more for pleasure? Soft music, candles (unless you're on oxygen), flowers or aromatherapy oils, and your loving husband!
 
Luisa, so sorry to hear you're having a bad time of it. I think we all have bad days or moments. As you know I am the same distance as you for recovery (but I only doing one knee). I have weird aches and tingles at times. My problem seems to be the support stockings or a shoe on the left foot (surgical side). I have a lot of hyper sensitivity on top of the toes and the bone next to my big toe. It is annoying. I had my post op appt. Thursday (1.5 hour wait for a 10 min. Appt). OS was concerned with my heart issues and if I was okay :) nice of him but I was surprised he didn't watch me walk or ask about pain?? I did ask if my leg could be longer than the other. He said no but it is straighter?? I feel like I rock a bit when I walk. PT thinks it is a bit longer but said the knee needs time to "settle" in and if by 6 weeks I feel that it is still off I may need a lift in my shoe?? The walking now with a cane as opposed to the walker has flared up the sciatica so that will need to be addressed in PT (I start outpatient next week). I'm doing a little more in the house. Emptying top rack of dishwasher, dusting. It is hard to sit back and watch :( hang in there girl, one minute at a time. Remember the support is here. Most importantly get on the phone (or your husband) and get the nausea, pain med issue addressed. You can't heal if you are arguing with yourself over should I take a pill or not. You need to stay nourished and if you aren't eating well because of nausea get that addressed. If they have to put an anti-anxiety on board such as Ativan then so be it. You can't rest and heal if you are anxious, scared and agitated. If you cannot advocate If you can't advocate for yourself right now then have your husband do it. Hang in there and remember we are here !!!
 
I have to second the Ativan, I was crying so hard I was hyperventilating, Ativan helped a lot
Also with sleep & muscle tightness.
Louisa, please get one the phone tomorrow morning, if you can,t have your husband call.
You should not be suffering like you are.
I will check back in will you later....
Are you out of pain pills, or you just won,t take them.
A lot of times I break mine in half...also eat some toast before you take it...get some ginger ale...for your stomach
Also tons of water....& bananas are both good for leg cramps
Take Care my dear......diana :kittykiss:
 
Thank you so much everyone, for the kind and caring words. I will be making appt with pain management dr, hoping to get squeezed in tomorrow. I do have pain meds that were controlling pain, but the stomach and terrible headache scared me and I stopped taking them. I think part of the problem is I was not movi g my bowels enough.Taking iron pills given to me by dr and painmeds have backed me up and all this caused a huge headache that literally dedebilitated me for over a day. I feel better today but my leg pain obviously has increased dramatically. I am lying with legs elevated and ice machines plugged up. I am taking pain meds but trying to take percocet at 6 hour intervals not 4. I had hubby get me some applesauce to move things along. I think I need to eat more, but nausea has made eating a chore. Luckily hubby is home the next 2 days so I hope to have a shoppinglist for him to help keep things moving.
I am so thankful to have found this site and all the wonderful people on here. I couldnt have made it this far without each and every one of you! :thankyou:
 
Severe constipation can indeed give you a headache, especially if you strain when trying to go. What works for most of us here are prunes in any form (I can't stand prune juice, so I nibble on the snack size dried prunes). I've also found fiber gummies (FiberWell or Target's generic Up & Up brand) to be useful and delicious.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom