Bilateral TKR Luisa's road to recovery June 10th, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Luisa. Home Sweet Home! You are now facing the next stage, but you will do great! Too bad you can't have some meals catered in for the next few weeks. Best wishes to you in you battle to stay off the cigs. It is the best for you, so keep fighting!

I am chugging along after my TKR as well. Still experiencing more pain than I think I did last time, but who can tell. I started taking max doses of everything and really not being up on my feet too much. I don't know how I could possibly rest more. We will see if the pain eases. In the mean time, it does help me sleepl

Anyway, Have a good, restful Sunday at HOME.
 
Ready, I think I am onmax dose also. At this point I think its ok to still be on max dose. Hopefully in another week or two we can start to dcrease.

Im pretty happy my swelling seems to be going down well, but I think the lasix dr gave me yesterday helped.

Huby asked what I wanted for breakfast and I asked for the same thing I was eatinv at the hospital...so weird, but he indulged me. Oatmeal with 1 harboiled egg and whole wheat toast. Sounds odd...but I grew to like it. Luckily hubby is a pretty good cook so no catering is needed...BUT wouldnt mind a diet caterer so I could lose a few lbs! Lol
 
Today makes 2 weeks since my surgery, being home the last 2 days. Physically I am light years from that first day when I tried standing on my noodle legs. I feel like I have a bit more energy and I am definitely much more mobile, using canes to get around and pain upon standing and sitting is minimal. ROM has improved, but I still have a ways to go. I am having difficulty lying down completely flat on my back, having pain behind my knees due to the extension,. I have pillows set up as instructed but they always shift around. Im waiting for my wedge to get delivered on the 27th, hoping this is more comfortable. I was able to lie on both sides last night using a pillow between my knees, to break up to monotony ofconstantly being on my back.

So all this sounds so positive, then why is it I feel weepy today? Even after doing my exercises, I felt only slightly happier. ?

I started writing meds on a notebook paper with times cause I found myself losing track and feeling aching joints. If that isnt enough, I miht set alarms for evry 4 or 5 hours.

Signed...TRYING TO FEEL HAPPIER....Luisa
 
I think when they were replacing our knees, they must have stimulated the emotion center. The blues seem to be part of the deal. For me, they come and go and almost always begin with me being tired and overwhelmed by what I can't do. You can always blame it on hormones. You are also adjusting to being back home and not having an entourage of people caring for you. Grab the Kleenex and ride out this portion of the roller coaster.

I set the alarms on my cell phone to remind me when to take my meds. I also made labels for my planner (peel and stick address labels that I ran through my printer) with a place to check off everything I take. I would be lost without that. Last time I just tried to write it down and always lost track. I will send you a copy.

I am 2 weeks today as well. The pain in the back of my knee is constant. My PT gently massages it. She can feel exactly where the tightness begins and ends. My OS seemed unconcerned and that it will improve. I had the same on my left side and it has improved but not completely. I guess we will have to ride this one out as well.

Hang in there.
 
I guess I do miss the entourage and someone to help me remember my last pill etc. I did miss being in my own bed with hubby and missed my dogs. I went to sleep last night feeling sad and woke up with a , massive headache :(

I called my OS to make follow up appt, secretary asked if stapkes were taken out yet...I said no...she made my appt tomorrow. What day did you guys get staples removed??
 
Hi Lucia, I had my staples out at about day 10 during my first post OP visit. How are you doing sweetie? I am glad you are home. :)
 
:sad: This is how I am feeling day 14 Sad for no specific reason. Achier than usual probably because Im sad. Forced myself out of bed to try to change my mood. Somewhat better. I am sitting in front of my table top computer for the first time in 2 weeks. Makes me think of smoking, which is NOT GOOD, so I wont stay here long. Going to find some exercises to do on this site so I can motivate myself. :sad:
 
That's not good Luisa I am lying in bed still,I'm feeling a bit sore after my excersice class so thought I would rest today, we had a really frosty night so it's too cold to get up,when I was feeling a bit sad I made my husband go out and get me a takeaway mocha chino and a cake, very very naughty but nice. You are getting to the stage now where you will start turning the corner, I bought a pair of leg warmers and that stopped the aching in my legs.
Keep your chin up Luisa it will get better, I promise
 
Hey Luisa, sorry to hear you are still feeling so blue. I am sure that trying to quit smoking at the same time as going through all this doesn't help. Good luck with that. Just try to remember where you were just a few days ago. I remember that first night of having to have someone go with me to the bathroom every time I needed to go. I told one of my friends about sitting on the toilet talking to the CNA who was a very nice young man while trying to urinate. I did eventually manage to go, but I had to make myself relax. It was so nice when they let me get up by myself. I did tell them I was cheating and getting up by myself in the room to go to the bathroom. One of my CNAs said they had figured that since I hadn't asked for help all day. I also remember the day I lifted my leg up off the floor while standing doing something and I had not been able to do that at all. They say it is baby steps, but try to focus on those steps and maybe that will help. Of course with me only having one knee done, I know that we are at completely different places in our recovery. I hope you have a great evening.
 
Luisa you are recovering from a major surgery and at the same time, you are going through withdrawls from smoking. I don't know how long you smoked or how much, but I can tell you that people are addicted to not only nicotine but other chemicals in cigarettes. I smoked heavy for 30 yrs (sometimes 4 packs daily) and I quit cold turkey as the saying goes. I made up my mind that no matter what stress came into my life, I was done with smoking forever and I stuck to it. It wasn't easy Luisa. I craved them for a year.. That was 26 yrs ago that I quit and just the other day I found myself holding a pencil the way you hold a cigarette. Isn't that amazing after so many years gone by!!!

Your body is trying to heal in many ways Luisa and naturally you feel sad. A way of life has come to an end, and a new life awaits you. It won't be easy, but you can do this. Listen if I can quit smoking, anybody on this earth can quit. :heehee: Frankly I didn't want to quit, but I was having surgery :rotfl: (hysterectomy) and figured I wouldn't be able to smoke in the hospital for 5 days (nowday they only keep you 2 or 3) so it was a good time to just stop it once and for all.

Feel whatever you feel but don't start smoking again for any reason. Work with your body, give it good food, rest, a few laughs, and take care of your new knees/life. Smoking would not be good for your healing knees anyhow.

Lecture over. I hope you feel better soon. :console2:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Luisa's road to recovery  June 10th, 2013
Lmarshall, so sorry you're feeling blue. Here's a link to a library article that will help explain why:
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

You're ONLY 2 weeks post op from bilateral surgery---you've been through a lot, both you knees are completely traumatized. Take your pain meds as prescribed on a schedule, rest, elevate (toes above nose) and ice, ice, ice. Do as little as possible. Keep all exercise slow and easy and of short duration. This is a tough time----but IT WILL PASS----I promise.


Take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] Luisa's road to recovery  June 10th, 2013
 
Thank you ladies for the words of encouragement. Smoking, or rather NOT smoking is playing a part but I do believe I feel all points in that article bottomshallow posted a link to. As much as I hated the loss of privacy, I became dependent on it. Hubby id here for me every second but its really not the same. Also I am beginning to feel trapped. I have stayed on top of pain meds today so thats better, trying to just relax as much as I can and findsonething on tv to divert my attention.
 
Hope you have a better day today. You commented earlier in your thread that you felt better after therapy. Could be your body needs some of that right now to release some of those exercise-induced-feel-good hormones. Do you have any small hand weights that you could use to do some upper body exercise?

Hang in there, and yes, look for distractions. There are a lot of us here who really want to see you get through this WITHOUT smoking. I know it won't be easy, but keep your eye on the prize.
 
Ladies, I am also two weeks post op (as of yesterday). I have been achey and teary. I progressed to a cane yesterday (still practicing) and that made more muscles sore. I was trying to be brave yesterday and wait on my pain med. I had hoped to be off by next week so I could drive myself to outpatient PT. What I did yesterday ended up being a painful evening resulting in an escape to the deck crying. I was beating myself up for needing a pain pill and wanting to be independent. My husband came out and talked with me. This is not going to be an overnight fix to independence. I don't even know what the pain will be like with outpatient therapy let alone drive myself there (that's the reality) not the vision. I just did not want to inconvenience anyone by asking for a ride. My husband has to make up every hour he takes off so that was stressing me. There are still things out of my control and I have to realize that. I have to stay calm and go with the flow. I have only a few things to think about......doing those exercises, eating right, resting and ice. I have to slow down a bit and remember it was major surgery whether it was one leg or two. The emotions and thoughts that guide this journey are different from one minute to the next. One minute I think rest, rest. The next.....I don't feel so bad I should get up and do something?? It's good to know everyone is here and I don't feel alone. Keep moving ahead one minute at a time :)
 
I went tosee my surgeon this morning. She removed the staples. This process was pretty quick and basically did not hurt as much as I thought it would. My surgeon compared it to a bikini wax type of pinch, but snce I had bilateral she joked it was more comparable to a brazilian wax LOL I think she was right on point with the description! She did give me a cpl of short breaks to relax, but it went quickly. Both of my scars looks great...I will take a pic or 2 later and downliad it. I spoke to the dr about my crying spells. She attributed it to the narcotics im on. She did nit feel I should lower my dose if it makes me feel comfortable, but mire or less...its a side effect that I should be aware of and try to see it as such especially while in the moment. Surgeon also seems very happy with my ROM although she did not do any formalmeasurements, just sort of looked at my range in sitting standing and when lifting legs. I do not need to return for 2-3 months, unless I have any questions or concerns.
 
All sounds good........fyi, the valium made me a cry baby , so after my Daughter looked that up on internet, I stopped taking that. this was in the begining when I came home after rehab stay...I was taking it to help sleep, but, found out valium didn't work....for me...............
 
Luisa, great report from your doctor! :thumb: Also, I think you are completely normal in the fear of being home after rehab where a push of a button and someone was there to help you. I felt the same way when I first got home, oh don't get me wrong I was happy to be home, but I was still scare that I'd do something wrong for some reason. With time that feeling got less and less, but it took time and me getting my self confidence again. It will happen for you my dear! :console2: Sadness, oh yes! I felt like I couldn't do certain thing for myself for a while, and oh man I hate that helpless feeling! When I was given my independence back, by being able to drive again, I started doing much better! I didn't need hubby to drive me everywhere, and that to me was heavenly, even though he didn't mind, I did!
As for smoking, that's a tough one, but you can do it my friend! I started smoking at 14 and quit when I was 35, my excuse for not quitting was that I will gain weight, well I was gaining weight anyway so I decided to give it a try, it was really tough, but I was really proud when I took my life back and gave them up! Cigarettes didn't own me any more! Good luck to you for giving it a try! Hang in there good things will happen!

Stay well and take care!
 
Louisa
Let the tears come-they always go away. Think of them as little showers passing through your recovery. I still have the occasional teary spell, brought on by any one of a number of things: discomfort, frustration, tiredness, impatience, blah blah blah. We all want to rush to wellness but that's not how this process works. Knee replacement offers us many lessons in taking things in slow steps. We just try to ignore them!
 
Im feeling less teary today, but noticed a symptom I have read about on here, sort of mixed in with another. I have restless leg but it is mixed in with adeep achy feeling that squeezing muscles seems to alleviate alittle bit. Not sure if thats a clear description, but im mid achiness so not so patient to type. I suppose the muscle squeezing cant hurt anyway, and hoping this does not keepme awake tonight. On a positive note my wedge was delivered today and I love it. My swelling has imoroved sinceim home, due to myelevation with pillows and icing, this wedge will only help the swelling along even more! I can actually see my ankles again...yzy! Decreasedswelling means increzaed ROM!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom