Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Luisa's road to recovery June 10th, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks all! I got acall from the director of the Occupational Therapy dept today. We had worked together many yrs ago and she actually helped me get this position. Ill be going in next week on tuesday to have lunch and chat abt my new job duties. She asked if I could be flexible with my hours first semester so I can get training I need...."sure! Great idea!" Its all becoming very real!

Walking much quicker now with less pain! My daughter noticed my quicker pace tonight. Im really starting to feel like going back to work in 2 1/2 weeks isnt so far fetched! :)
 
So pleased for you Luisa. Fantastic you have a new job and you are so excited about it :SUNsmile: You sound to be walking better and if you're leaving your cane places then the time is coming when you don't need it any more. Well done you!

I love hearing inspiring recoveries like yours :yay:
 
Wow - so exciting to have a new job to look forward to :yay:

Glad that your recovery seems to be going well as well :thumb:
 
3 month anniversary!!! And what a great day it was!!!

I went to meet with the director of OT in my new position today. She gave me such a warm welcome and assured me I would have tons of support to learn my new role. I was so grateful to discuss details with her and prepare for my first few weeks. I met plenty of staff, all very welcoming as well. Next week I will go in for 2 half days to sit in on a class and a staff meeting. I thought I might be too tired but NOPE! I made it through the afternoon with energy to spare. My legs arent aching or swollen. I admit it felt good to lie down and raise em up for a bit, but no ill effects from my busy day. Can this be true?? Am I really almost over the hump?? I am so grateful that I have so much to look forward to, both with my knees and my new job.

Today I am feeling very blessed indeed!!
 
Dear luisa,
You are doing great :) your new job is just 13 days away & I know you will be ready. It's great you have been
Meeting with your co- workers :happydance: I do believe you are a " June sunbeam" :SUNsmile: success
Story.
You had a set back & you still came out on the other side. Better than ever...I am so proud of you :yes!:
I hope you have some you time planned before you go back...
Thinking of you,
Diana....June sunbeams :SUNsmile: ....enjoying life.....
 
I truly feel each day brings me closer and closer to my new normal. Im still taking pain meds while Im out and about. Seems my "good" leg was on over drive while my left quadricep was healing, and hes letting me know how mad he is at the over load he was given! Its Ok though, as the load is now being shared, so each day seems to be easier with the pain in my front tibial area, just below the knee. Does anyone else experience this pain upon standing? I really am not complaining. I remember the time I had pain just while lying down. Now when I am lying down, if I dont think about it, I feel completely normal again and forget about the major surgery I had just 3 months ago. My first few steps are tough, especially in the morning. This is when the pain pill helps me get over the hump. Once I get moving, its so much better! I can finally say I can ride the stationary bike all the way around. That took me quite a long time. First few rotations is always harder, but by the end of my 10 minute stretch I can watch TV and not think about how to get my leg all the way around (Mr left is sluggish with the ROM).

Seems like my next 2 weeks will revolve around dr appts, not for me but for hubby. He has been plagued with terrible TMJ pain for the last 2 months and we have been given the run around as far as how and with who to treat it. We started with dentist (he thought it was dental pain at first), went to 2 oral surgeons, back to primary care dr, today to the ENT, and hes referring us to a TMJ specialist. Unfortunately his insurance makes it difficult to find a dentist who specializes in this...as its a tricky thing to treat. So I will be calling pain management tomorrow and his primary care dr tomorrow. Seems he can try ultrasound (through PT), and they also give some type of nerve block shots into the jaw which I think my pain management guy may do. In this way, we can avoid paying a non union TMJ specialist, but still hit the treatment options through insurance. If all else fails, he may need some kind of mouth "splint". Also cardiologist appt for him. His primary care dr noticed something on his EKG,nothing serious, but enough to warrant a visit to the cardio. Poor guy has spent so m uch time taking care of me and completely ignoring himself :( Time to get him feeling better!!
 
:angel: your husband finds a great doctor, to help with t.m.j.
Diana...June sunbeams :SUNsmile:
 
Hi Luisa, you seem to be doing so well and back on track. Congrats on your new job!
I'm going to begin going to a YMCA that has a pool at 87 degrees. They offer aqua therapy classes during the day- I will try and get to a few before I go back to work on the 25th. After that, I will go in the pool on my own and do some of the exercises after work. You have spoken about how wonderful the aqua therapy is. What type of exercises do you do in the pool? How long are you in the pool? Finally, is the feeling of muscle pain or aches the same as when you do regular pt?
Sorry to bombard you with the questions, it just sounds so interesing and I'm hoping it is what I need to get this frozen ROM going again.
 
Hi gidem Aquatherapy has been wonderful for me! The water is at 98 degrees. I start with 10 minutes of the underwater treadmill. You can mimic that by just simply walking in the water. The whole time I focus on my gait and make sure I take long strides. After that, I do my leg exercises as follows: 30 reps leg lifts to the front (taking turns with each leg of course) 30 reps to the side, 30 reps to the back. I do 30 heel lifts, 30 toe lifts. 30 squats, making sure my feet stay flat on the ground. 30 lifts of my leg with knee bent (1 at a time of course), the 30 lifts knee bending lifting leg to the back. I take my time, the faster you go, the more resistance from the water and the more of a workout it is. I vowed to myself I would take it slow so I don't tear another muscle. My ROM has improved drastically in the past 5 or 6 weeks since the aquatherapy. L (where I had my tear) id now at -5 extension, 110 flexion. R is at -2 extension and 120 flexion. These numbers are from lying down. When I am sitting, the flexion is increased by a few degrees. Also, the ROM is unassisted. In other words, the therapist is not pushing my leg at all. Also, I did not push my ROM to uncomfortable. It was merely what I can get naturally without pushing hard. Once I do the aquatherapy, I go on the stationary bike for 10 minutes, focusing on controlling ROM not level of difficulty. I do 30 leg lifts with a 1 lb weight. Then I use a quad machine...not sure the name, with very l ight weight on it. I make sure none of the strengthening activities are hard. Once all this is done, I see the PT and she does about 3-5 minutes of stretching. This whole process, including changing from bathing suit into work out clothes takes about 1 1/2 hours.

I also plan on joining an indoor pool through the parks dept in NYC. Its very cheap yearly membership. I think my PT will be running out soon, so I came up with an alternate plan to fall back on. Ill continue what I mentioned above. Good thing is, the rec center will also have various exercise machines that I can use. The only difference will be the pool will be no where near as warm. Im not sure what they keep the temp, but I can guarantee it wont be in the 90's.
 
Luisa, thank you so much for your detailed response. It really helps. I had my last therapy yesterday and felt down after leaving. To be on one's own can be daunting. :shocked: I feel that joining the gym and pool use will help me continue my own therapy. Your description of the pool use was fantastic.
My ROM yesterday was R- 106 and Left 107 with help- which depressed me. I am about 101 without help. I have been at this point for weeks. Hopefully, the water exercise will help me get more flex. My extension isn't bad- 0 for both. My surgery was June 24- so I'm approaching the 3 month mark.
Thanks again! :thankyou:
 
I was feeling pretty down as well. After I had my muscle tear my ROM was so so bad, but it DOES get better at its own pace. Before you know it, you will look back and be amazed. I really found the aquatherapy has helped. I am also looking into something called Alter G Treadmill. Try looking it up. I found a PT place near me that has one, and am thinking of trying it. Its worth a shot, and looks fabulous.
 
Hoping I have this right! Here is the walking portion of my aquatherapy...

 
That tank is great. I would love to have had that experience. At therapy earlier this week, the student working with my therapist told me that I had a window of opportunity in getting to the needed ROM. I was upset and knew that my surgeon had told me it is a process that can last months. Every once in a while I get nervous about the possible "window", but then I say- NO- I can continue to get ROM as I continue to work on it. I wish the physical therapy profession could get on the same page about it. lol
 
gidem As many of us here on Bonesmart will attest to....that "window" is a load of ****! I am abt 14 weeks post op and continue to make progress each week. Just ignore the scare tactics! A good PT wont say that...keep that in mind.
 
Yes, I told her- that's not true. :no-fin: She looked shocked at my reply. lol

Go, bonesmarts! :dancy:
 
Hi everyone :) I was wondering if you could give me some feedback. I had a semi busy day today. Went out to brunch with friends today around 12, immediately following went shopping to buy some clothes. I did walk aroundstore about an hour or so, trying on clothes, going to atm, then to the drugstore. I got home around 5:30. I did get in and out of car about 4 times. I was extremely sore tonight, feeling some pains in both my knees, left one showing mild swelling. Been icing and elevating rest of the evening.this isnt the first time ive kept busy half the day. Im worried, since ill be starting work in a week. Is it normal to feel pain and stiffness? I dont ubderstand why i have stiffness since last week i went into work half day and came home feeling fine just feeling a bit nervous :sorry:
 
On the plus side...I bought 2 bathing suits for 3 dollars each and some work out clothes, 4 shirts and 2 pants for30 dollars! Also, 2 dress shirts for work for 25 dollars. I have a great closeout store in my area and they were having a summer blowout sale, i brand name items for 75 to 90 percent off! :dancy:
 
Hello luisa,
I am at 3 months & 2 weeks...I worked yesterday for 4 hours. I was feeling great, no pain, no limping.
I walked around the building & went up a grassy area. Boom, in pain & back to icing :hissy: I keep putting
My ice machine away & bringing it back out :tantrum:
Do you have a stragedy for your work day ? Can you ice in work ? Get up & walk around ?
You are lucky that your bosses know about your knees, so you don't have to hide the fact.
Everyone at my job knows about my knee, so if they see me sitting, they don't mind :) I get alot of offers for help.
But choose to do it myself :happydance: could you also bring a cane ?
Are you finished with p.t ?
I hope your husband is feeling better,
Diana....June sunbeams :SUNsmile: ....going back to work :egypdance:
 
I suppose I can ice during my break and lunch. Although they know I had surgery (I worked as an adjunct faculty member part time before my surgery), its a brand new job, so I really dont want to ask for help unless I absolutely have to. My old job would have been more understanding, but I did NOT want to go back there. They cut salaries across the board and they decreased me by 6,000 a year. Luckily, I left for disability prior to that happening. I am thinking of buying the disposable ice bags you punch to get cold. I am not sure of the freezer situation at the job yet.

I went out today for therapy and then shopping at the supermarket. Not a big food run, but there was a bunch of walking involved. I made it home OK, helped hubby put the meatloaf together, then cut up veggies and fruit to make smoothies for us. I am definitely feeling like my legs are saying NO MORE. No swelling but boy are they shutting down! I need to keep busy this week so I can maintain some sort of endurance. Tomorrow is another busy day. Hubby is going for a echo, I need to pick up RX for my PT from my dr, then in the afternoon I have to go in to my new job for a few hours to sit in on a class I will be running (for training purposes). I am fortunate that hubby will be dropping me off and picking me up for this, since parking is a few blocks away. I still havent decided what my plans are for going back. I may take a cab there and have hubby pick me up. Saves me the walk to the lot. I need to conserve my energy for actual working.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom