Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Luisa's road to recovery June 10th, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to hear you are getting to see the retina specialist.
 
Hello Luisa,
Just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you :friends: I hope you & your husband are doing well :)
I'm glad you love your job....makes working a little easier. I :angel: your eye exam goes well.
Have a wonderful weekend,
Diana...."June Sunbeams" :SUNsmile:
 
Good morning Luisa! Thinking of you. Hope your eye situation is taken care of and everything is fine. I will keep you in my prayers as I do for all my BoneSmart buddies. Take good care my friend! ((HUGS)) Joan
 
So sorry to hear about your eye problems - hope you get the answers you need from the specialist. You do not seem to be getting a lot of luck with health issues at the moment - but you have done really well getting back to work. :friends:

I just wanted to ask whether your husband got any benefit from his TMJ shot? I have TMJ which seems to have got a bit worse recently so wondered if the shot was a good idea?
 
Hi, Lmarshall ... I came over from the hip side to see if you'd posted and was so sorry to read the update about your eye! I too would have been freaked out. Who would not be? I'm just glad your coworker was helpful and you had medics help you at work. This is one of life's health curveballs that we never expect, but certainly not while dealing with the myriad details of joint-replacment surgery. So maybe just the "I didn't expect THAT!" aspect is part of the trauma. But you sound like you are coping very well with having to just take it day by day. Dealing with yet another adjustment.... I'm glad to hear that you're doing well with work. Also appreciated your earlier post where you gave a lot of specifics as to how you were coping--meaning, what meds you were taking; the specifics of what still hurts, pings, and is stiff, and why (those darned stairs seem to be the last frontier for many of us), etc. It seems to me it is very helpful--whether with us hippies or you kneesies--to know these specifics. Hearing "I'm doing great" is a boost to hear, but knowing how and why someone is feeling great, or great in some ways but not yet in other ways, is very beneficial to the rest of us..... And now you've got almost a month under your belt at the new job, and your first paycheck ... how great! Really, to have started a brand-new job in the midst of this recovery is no small thing, and you are a real inspiration. Hang in there and let us know how your eye is doing. And how everything else is going, too.
 
Hello Luisa,
I wanted to wish you luck for your eye exam :) How is work going ? I hope you & your husband are doing well.
Thinking of you :friends:
Diana..."JUNE SUNBEAMS " :SUNsmile:
 
Hi, Luisa.....I'm just checkin to see how you're doing. I know that eye "event" was one scary deal for you. I hope things have improved for you.
 
Hi everyone! I havent been here in quite some time so I popped in to drop off an update. Things are pretty much status quo. All is about the same. Been very busy with the new job and it is really going very well. My eye "floaters" are still there but I notice them less now. Specialist gave me an "all clear" as far as no retina damage, so I will just have to wait and see if these darn floaters clear up alittle. If not, Ill just manage with them as is. As far as my knees, things seem to be OK. I dont know if anyone has any insight for me on 2 issues.

1). My left achilles is sore almost every evening. REALLY SORE. I use Voltaren gel and it seems to help alittle bit but oh boy...hurts to walk by the end of the night and limping is increasing dramatically at that point. DOesnt help my backaches which have been plaguing me.

2). I suddenly started getting pain on my right knee cap with alittle swelling. I can still walk, but if again, it makes me limp and is tender to the touch.

I am 5 1/2 months out and still dont feel like I am at the pinnacle of healing. I shouldnt complain, since I can now walk for much longer periods without knee pain. IN fact, the pain I feel isnt usually knee pain...its usually back or ankle pain. Also...I am still using a cane...is that NORMAL?
 
Hi Luisa! I am so glad your eye situation was not as bad as it could have been. Also so happy that your job is working out. Have you brought up the issues you are having with your knees to your OS? I am not sure about the cane. Maybe Josephine can give you an idea. Are you needing to put a lot of weight on the cane? Is it because of balance issues or to alleviate pain? Wishing you a wonderful Thanksgiving! How are the doggies? Lola is her sweet wonderful self! I am doing well. Still have stiffness if I am on my legs for a spell, but no pain. I am sleeping better....not great. I also have lower back issues(arthritis ) and of course my two bad hips....so I understand dealing with a lot ...not just knees! Trying to walk everyday weather permitting now with all the rain. So thankful for these knees! Coming on my 6month anniversary on December 4th. Please let's keep in touch . Love, Joan :)
 
Dear Luisa,
So happy to hear from you :) I am glad your retina is fine & hope your eye get's better. I noticed since I
Don't limp any more other muscles & tendons were sore. I have never had back problems before, but while
My body was adjusting, I did. I think during the process of the body re- adjusting other parts will be sore.
It did get better as time went by.
If you are limping more than before, I would see your O.S.
Have a wonderful " THANKSGIVING" I hope you get a few days off from work & feel better :angel:
Thinking of you :console2:
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Everyone...especially my friends Diana and Joan!

I've reached my 6 month mark! Achilles still gets sore, some days are worse than others, but it is improving. Back pains are getting better. I have been SO BUSY at work, since its the end of the semester and all the students are needing extra lab time to practice skills. BUT its finally over and now my hours will be 9-5 until March....this means I will actually have TIME to be able to get to the OS. Taking time off during this less busy semester is much easier. (I run the labs and there are no labs during this next semester, only lecture classes).

Id like to try to do alot of things, but financially, much rests on my hubbys ability to get some disability benefits which we are currently working on. For a long time we thought he had TMJ, but it turns out he has trigeminal neuralgia (to be confirmed on Monday after MRI). He may need a procedure to alleviate the pain called gamma knife. Its a form of radiation therapy to shrink the nerve in his face giving him soooo muuccchhhh paaaiinnn. New meds are helping him somewhat, but the underlying problem is still there. (if only he would take his meds regularly...sigh....men are so stubborn!!). Once the disability starts, I hope to be able to get a membership at the pool at my job. Dont get me wrong....I feel much better than pre surgery, just wish I was completely better, BUT as with this whole process, I have realized things happen in THEIR OWN time. I will patiently wait for the day I forget I ever had knee pain and surgery.

Wishing all my friends here at Bonesmart a wonderful HOLIDAY season! I have a tremendous amount to be grateful for this Christmas, and I try to hold onto to that when things get tough. MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR.....Luisa xoxox
 
Lmarshall
Luisa,
So happy to hear from you :) I think of you often & realize you are busy with work. I'm glad it will
Be slowing down for you :beg:
Sorry to hear about your hubby, that sounds very painful. I hope his disability comes through soon.
I want to wish you & your family a :mer xm: & a pain free 2014
You are never far from my thoughts,
Love,
Diana :friends: :santa sleigh:
 
Hi Luisa - I am sorry that you are not fully healed but I think you have done really well to get back to work - especially at such a busy time: i am glad that work will soon slow down

Really hope that all goes well with your husband

Dont get me wrong....I feel much better than pre surgery, just wish I was completely better, BUT as with this whole process, I have realized things happen in THEIR OWN time. I will patiently wait for the day I forget I ever had knee pain and surgery.
I can really identify with these sentiments. I never thought that I would be stuck with a walker 6 months on nor having further knee surgery - but I just have to be patient

Take very good care of yourself and have a wonderful Christmas
 
Hey Lmarshall I've been away for a while too. I guess that happens as we start to improve and pick up our lives again. :) I'm happy To hear you don't have any retina damage.
Like you, my knees don't give me much grief but, I do have aches in some of the muscles. It is worse in the evenings. I told my OS about the pain and that my balance was off sometimes and his answer was," You are only 4 1/2 months into a year long recovery and having a BTKR it may be as long as 18 months. Of course you have discomfort and some stability issues." I have to say this past few weeks have been much better. My brain seems to finally know where my legs are!
As to the cane, I was using mine for a long time as well and I found the thigh muscle on my left leg was not as firm as the right. I thought it may have been because of the cane so I started using it less and less. My confidence and balance improved the more I did without it. I think I became mentally dependent on it and I was surprised at how much I could do without using it.
I hope your Hubby gets some relief soon, and you have a good holiday
Wanda
 
So here I am....I know...its been a very long time since I stopped by! My 1 year knee-versary has passed (6/10/14) and I was just too busy at work to even think about it. New knees and a new job all in one year was ALOT but here I am and I can say HOORAY!!! Loving my new job as a lab tech in a college, but boy oh boy end of the semester was B-U-S-Y!! Next few months I have a rest since I have no classes to be in, its purely administrative and organization. Plus I have Fridays off (my work days are longer to make up for the time missed on Fridays). I am so very grateful I did this surgery before this job change. It really was a wonderful catalyst to a fresh start. My eye is fine, the squiggles havent left, but I just got used to them somewhat.

Now for the knees update.... I am doing way way better, but still use a cane walking back and forth from the building at work to the parking lot. More than anything else, I get tired due to decreased strength, especially after a long day. I am on my feet for probably 40% of a busy day. My knees do not hurt. Every once in awhile my right knee feels a bit ouchy, but it goes away quickly. My ROM is great...no worries there, my strength can definitely be better. I need to go back to PT but with my busy last few months I had limited time and was exhausted once home. I promised myself to start back on PT now that semester is over. I had a nagging achilles tendonitis for quite some time that also prompted me to use the cane. Every step was painful to varying degrees and I was limping on and off. I saw the orthopedic but she didnt seem to be worrried, prescribed inserts which didn't really help. (this was in the same leg that I had to get muscle lenthening due to my knock knees. I also had a quad tear in that leg about 7 weeks post op). I just had to push through it and now I feel 90% better. So If I had to give a number, Id say I was at about 90% of where I should be, maybe 85% if I take into accont my weakness.

I must say that having this surgery was the best decision I ever made for myself health wise. I am able to stand for long periods and walk with no pain. Im still weak, and legs sometimes feel rubbery, but Ill take that over pain ANY DAY! I have limitation...I still can't kneel and squatting is not for me. STILL I'll take it!

One question I had for you guys is.....DOES ANYONE HAVE LINGERING SWELLING IN THEIR ANKLES? They seem to swell up by days end. I am wondering if this is surgery related or if its just my body telling me I still have weight to lose.

I had lost weight after the surgery, but once I was off pain meds I put it back on. I finally dragged myself back to Weight Watchers and I'm 3 weeks in now and have lost 7 lbs. I'm hoping to get at least another 40 lbs off. I'll never be thin, but I need to work on getting more fit and taking care of my new knees.

This forum was a life saver for me and so therapeutic. I thank each and every one of you as I don't think I could have done it without all of your support!!

I don't come on here very often but wish you all well in your journeys. If anyone would like to contact me, past friends or new members needing advice, please don't hesitate to post!

BE WELL AND WALK ON!!! lol
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Luisa - it's great to hear from you and to hear you're doing so well. I remember you making the job decision - how wonderful that it's going well and you enjoy it. I too just finished school (ah!) - always such a rush at the end.

Re: Swelling. I don't get lots of it, prob. in part because my job shifted (I'm a dept chair) so that I spend more time sitting than in the classroom. On my teaching days I have noticed that my feet sometimes are a little more puffy than usual. Part of that is probably lingering post-op stuff and part of that is my not moving as much as I did pre-surgery (I'm finally getting to a point where I can exercise more/longer with less stiffness afterward).

Next week I'll be flying to Ireland - just spent $$ on some knee high medical-quality support hose for the flight (I couldn't face using those thigh-high TEDs I had to wear post-op!). Now that I have them, I'll probably also wear them at work. Have you thought about that?

Again, congratulations!!xo
 
Great to hear an update though I have not been updating myself. That return to work really takes a lot out of you.

I get some swelling in the knees still but overall no regrets, great ROM and no pain walking. LIke you need to get to do more exercises to build up strength.

Take care. Lee
 
Good to hear the 1 year update Luisa! So happy you love you new job and new knees!
 
Happy Knee knee-versary :wave: (where is the cake emoticon when you need one :snork:) Sounds like you are doing really well one year out :flwrysmile:
 
@Lmarshall
Luisa,
So happy to hear from you :loveshwr:Thank you for your up- date, you sound wonderful :)
So glad you love your new job. Happy Anniversary 1 yr. & look how far you have gone :happydance::yay::egypdance::dancy:
You really have done great since your set back last year, you should be proud of yourself, I am :friends:
Please post more up- dates as time allows,
Thinking of you,
Diana :wave::loveshwr:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom