LTKR on schedule again

Right after surgery, my nurses too said, "Your legs must be kept straight!" They were adamant about it, and would not give me pillows or raise the bottom of the bed in any way. More enterprising BSers have used extra blankets to achieve some elevation. What's important is to avoid putting pillows, blankets, etc. directly under the knee itself in any way that would impede blood flow, which I think is the concern the nurses were expressing. Straight=good blood flow.

If you want to engage in battle, you could call your OS and ask about elevation, even suggest bringing your Lounge Doctor to the hospital. Who knows? You might get the okay. I just put up with the nurses' restrictions until I got home, at which point I pulled out my Lounge Doctor and happily elevated.
 
Well I went for my pre-op PT appointment yesterday. I got a list of exercises they said I would be starting on in hospital. Went over them, measured ROM and extension, 115/0 both legs, said that was pretty good. Said they wanted something to strive to achieve. She also said my left knee cap is not very movable, but she moved it anyway, was sore last night. She said absolutely no pillows under the knee, should be straight?? Told them I already purchased my lounge doctor and would be using it, it's designed to achieve "toes above nose". This may be a struggle...
You don't need to do a lot of exercises to rehab your knee. The most important thing is not to do or allow any exercise that increases pain, either at the time, or later.
It's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen, so it can show itself.

It's not too important that your knee cap isn't very mobile right now. It should sort itself out after surgery. And, by the way, kneecap manipulation isn't necessary.

Remember that you'll only be in hospital for a few days and when you get home you can do things your way. If you aren't allowed to use the lounge doctor in hospital, you'll have weeks at home when you can use it.
 
I was able to persuade the nurses to let me use a pillow under the length of the leg (not just the knee). That way the leg was straight (but not straining to get perfectly straight which was uncomfortable), and that was much better.
 
I didn't keep either of my legs perfectly straight for my knee replacements. Mostly perhaps, elevated on recliner but slightly bent. Wishing the best for you, @jboles
 
@jboles, I was thinking about you tonight with one day to go. I hope you're able to speak reassuringly to yourself. That's my current strategy as I'm freaking out about my Thursday surgery. I'm trying my best to banish negative thoughts and worries, and force my focus on being closer to having this all behind me.

When you pack your bag for the hospital, you might want to consider taking a cozy blanket. I was freezing last year, and was so glad my niece packed a down blanket for me. I'm not sure if it's the constant icing or just something from the post surgery, but I found out I wasn't the only BoneSmartie who was shivering.

Hang in there! In no time at all we'll be celebrating our new and improved knees!
 
@Happydale, I took a simple sleep mask and ear plugs, both helped me get extra [emoji99]



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Happydale what a great suggestion about the blanket, I am definitely going to do that! I woke up early this morning with my mind racing. Have I gotten everything done, do I really need to do this? I'm sure those same thoughts go through everyone else's mind? My daughter has been on vacation so I'm looking forward to spending some time with her today, maybe going for a swim, just be normal for a while. I'm going to start my recovery thread tonight, I'm trying to decide what I want to name this new knee. My daughter voted for Thelma and Louise, I may go with that! We'll see.
 
I'm right behind you with surgery on Tuesday and also in NC! You're going to do GREAT! You've thought through all the important things, now relax and know that this time next week the surgery will be over and you will be on the road to recovery! It is a journey that takes patience and perserverance, but so does anyting in life that is truly worthwhile. Slow and steady wins the race. This forum will be a Godsend during the next few weeks, so don't hesitate to ask questions and post even the most seemingly minor success - we will celebrate with you like its New Year's Eve. Do something fun and mindless today! See you on the other side! Prayers for you and your surgery team!
 
Best wishes for tomorrow!
 
All the best, @jboles, i'll be rooting for you - see ya on the other side xx !


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
You are ready. I am sure all will go well. Will be looking forward to seeing your posts post op!
 
@RadioGal I saw in one of your previous post that you are 7 - 8 degrees valgus. My OS corrected my severe knock-knee (it was 20 degrees valgus) when he did my LTKR. He told me going in that he would only correct it to 5 degrees, he said that's what it should be, not be 0? I noticed in someone's post, I believe it was Josephine, where she stated it should be 0. I'm a little confused because of this. I'm going to have the right one done in January, and wondered if you have been told what the normal is?
 
@Josephine -please can you advise jboles' question, above, about the normal angle between femur and tibia?
 
Thank you @jboles that is very interesting information there. Waiting to see what the answer is, because I'd like to know too.
 
My OS corrected my severe knock-knee (it was 20 degrees valgus) when he did my LTKR. He told me going in that he would only correct it to 5 degrees, he said that's what it should be, not be 0? Josephine stated it should be 0.
Well of course the tibia should be straight but the femur from the centre of the knee joint to the greater trochanter is normally about 5-10 degrees of valgus. Perhaps this is what he was referring to.

[Bonesmart.org] LTKR on schedule again
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom