BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

LTKR on schedule again

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by jboles, Jun 19, 2017.

1. jboles

jboles

United States United States
    Background info: I was scheduled for LTKR on May 15, found out on May 12 that I'm allergic to several different types of metals. My OS at the time, said he didn't have an implant that would work for me, so I had to cancel surgery and find an new OS. I found a new OS, and my LTKR is on schedule again for July 17. My new OS said he still needs to do some research to make sure which replacement will work best for all my metal allergies. I'm glad we are moving forward, I think? To say that I'm nervous is an understatement! I'm scared to death!! I've been reading a lot on here about people's success stories, and it gives me hope that I will also have a successful outcome.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    Tags:
  2. SusieShoes

SusieShoes Forum Advisor

With the right implant, your outcome should be stellar. Every recovery is different because every body is different, but you are taking all the right steps to make sure your body is getting the best.

• Like Like x 2
  3. kayak59

kayak59

Just stay on this forum @jboles I think it really helps to verbalize your anxieties and I bet you will soon be getting lots of responses from people who were in a similar situation with the metal allergies. (And your experience will help future members with the same issue.) You can do a search for "metal allergies" or maybe just "metal" for more info and stories. Do it on all of bonesmart so you can get success stories and people from the hippie side.

• Like Like x 2
  4. jboles

jboles

I have a question about getting in and out of car after surgery. I'm trying to decide whether to have my husband pick me up in his full size SUV or my car. It's a 2 door convertible, it does have a backseat so I could slide the seat back. His SUV is pretty tall.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Red's Mom

Red's Mom

SUV for sure. Maybe even the back seat of his car. Which implant did your OS choose?

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

• Like Like x 2
  6. kayak59

kayak59

@jboles Can you slide into the seat of the SUV now without having to make a big effort? Once you are there, can you stretch your legs out? I think the primary consideration should be legroom. My sister picked me up in her Ford Escape but I could not stretch my leg out enough on the way home from the hospital. I was in tears before we got home. Had I realized that was going to happen, I think I would have opted to sit sideways in the back seat.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Celle

Celle Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    I think it's always more comfortable to sit sideways on the back set when you first come out of hospital. That way, your leg is at least horizontal. If you want, you can even elevate it, using pillows.
    At some hospitals, they show you how to get into a car before discharging you home.

• Like Like x 2
  8. SusieShoes

SusieShoes Forum Advisor

I was shown how to get in and out of a car at the hospital. They had a mock-up car for practice and had us do that (several patients in a class). It was interesting watching other people do it before trying it myself. I was the only bilateral in the class. One knee is easier than two! But totally doable.

Agree the back seat might be more comfortable. Also, unless the SUV requires a step up, the higher seat is easier than a lower one. My car, for example, is low to the ground and getting in and out would have been quite painful just days after surgery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Arttie

Arttie

I'm thinking Ford crew cab, fold the back seats up and lay on the floor for me. :rofsign:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Kare2dare

Kare2dare

@Arttie whatever gets me home! Maybe even throw me in the bed! Lol:loll:

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. jboles

jboles

The problem with the SUV is the height, even though I'm 5'7" with neither one of my knees being "good" it's difficult to get into. I might be able to use a small step stool. The front seat will go back, so my leg could be extended.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. jboles

jboles

@Red's Mom he is leaning towards the Aesculap implant from Germany. The Smith & Nephew implant has a titanium tibial component, so with my titanium allergy that one's out.

• Like Like x 2
  13. zzevi

zzevi

so glad your metal allergies were found prior to your surgery. As for a vehicle a little higher vehicle may be easier to deal with then a lower vehicle, some vehicles are pretty close to the ground and we all know what it's like to use a toilet right after surgery without a riser, very painful, the knee often doesn't want us to get that low.
    Plus leg room, is probably more in the suv. If it's a short trip home you may be able to do the car, but if it were me I would choose the suv. Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. jboles

jboles

I think I'll practice with the step stool and the SUV. So much to think about. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm almost to the point of just wanting it to be done.

• Like Like x 2
  15. jboles

jboles

Only one week to go. Nervous is an understatement, but with 4 people in my office on vacation next week maybe I'll be too busy to notice! Also, my 29 year old son is having gallbladder surgery tomorrow, so he's my primary concern right now. Any last minute suggestions or tips from anyone would be appreciated.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Celle

Celle Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Do you have your "nest" area ready, with everything you'll need close at hand?
    Here are some pre-op articles that might help:

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
    Stories of amazing knee recoveries

This is the approach that we recommend for recovery - and some useful articles as well:
    Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork.
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs
    Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling
    Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
    Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
    Myth busting: no pain, no gain
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Happydale

Happydale

@jboles, I have a few thoughts from my TKR last summer: First off, I found I was SO obsessed and nervous before my surgery that it was all I could think about. And my friends and family, even though they were polite and understanding, were really sick of hearing all this from me. So thank goodness for BoneSmart! My BoneSmartie friends all understood, and those with surgery at the same time were feeling just like I did. That really helped me, and specifically helped me to realize that it's a big deal and everybody is freaked out beforehand.

Regarding the car, I had an experienced "tutor" in the family who showed me how she got into the car after her surgeries. For the left surgery leg, you'll want to get in the car from the driver's side. That way, you keep your left leg as straight as possible, plop your butt on the seat, have somebody hold your surgery leg straight out the door. Next use your good right leg, which is now bent at the knee and inside the car to push down while you scoot your butt back toward the passenger side door. Your right leg keeps bending and pushing down while your left leg just slides along nice and straight, supported by the car seat. Your husband's car should be wide enough for you to sit with a pillow behind your back, leaning right up against the passenger side door, while your left leg enjoys a comfy ride home. I know this may seem ridiculous, but I highly recommend trying this right now! Pretend like you're trying to keep your left leg straight, and have your husband try helping you, supporting your straight left leg. If the car is too high, use a small stool only for your right leg to step up on, leaving your left leg straight. Putting weight on your surgery leg while your right leg steps up shouldn't hurt - it's just the bending that's unpleasant! This will make it smooth sailing coming home from the hospital.

And my final cheerie thought for you is that, while I'm still freaked out about my July 20 TKR, I'm only about 1/2 as scared as I was last year for the right. Honestly, after getting myself so worked up, I spent my whole recovery thinking that it wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated! A large majority of the time, I was totally comfortable - even right after surgery. Hang in there! The waiting is worse than the rest of the whole experience, and we're almost done with the waiting. :yahoo:

p.s. Sorry this is so long - I know I like details, but I seem to ignore the fact that others would probably prefer the readers' digest version!

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. jboles

jboles

@Celle Thanks for the list of reading materials. I'll probably read this while I'm waiting on my son's surgery to be finished tomorrow.

@Happydale Thank you for the suggestion on the car situation. I will definitely try a practice run with a stool this week. The hospital is about an hour from my house so I really need to find the most comfortable position possible. I like details too, so your post was perfect.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. kneeper

kneeper Forum Advisor

I came home in a sedan and did fine. I just had my driver put the seat way back to give me as much leg room as possible. So it sounds like either way will be ok for you. Just know that whatever you choose it will be slow going getting in and out of the vehicle and that's normal.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. jboles

jboles

Well I went for my pre-op PT appointment yesterday. I got a list of exercises they said I would be starting on in hospital. Went over them, measured ROM and extension, 115/0 both legs, said that was pretty good. Said they wanted something to strive to achieve. She also said my left knee cap is not very movable, but she moved it anyway, was sore last night. She said absolutely no pillows under the knee, should be straight?? Told them I already purchased my lounge doctor and would be using it, it's designed to achieve "toes above nose". This may be a struggle...

• Friendly Friendly x 1