Guest viewing is limited

TKR LTKR on June 23

SisterPat’s suggestion of mall walking sounds great. Our local high school allows us to walk on the track when it isn’t in use. I share your concern about ticks.
 
Ah, yes, Lyme disease! I have it and it is the reason my knees were destroyed along with a host of other symptoms! Stay away from those bad guys! You were wise to get the antibiotics right away.
Sounds like your recovery is going great.
is there anywhere you can walk inside, like a mall?
Good idea @Sisterpat. I guess I can use the track at the high school too.
 
thanks @Jockette. I expect the rate of improvement to be slower than my initial gains of rom. Best not to get too focused on the day to day and to say how do I feel this week vs. last week.
 
That is exactly the way to look at it. :thumb:

And, remember, ROM will vary, as it is affected by swelling. You’ll have days as you start to really feel better and you’ll do more, and your leg will swell and your ROM number will go down. Don’t worry when this happens, it isn’t a setback, just par for the course. And this can go on for months.

Other days the knee can be persnickety, “just because.” Weather can affect it, too.
 
when I had an abdominal surgery years ago, my abdomen would swell as the day progressed. This went on for a while. We should expect it to be worse with a weight bearing joint.

as my knee continued its decline, my retirement life restructured its daily rhythm. on my feet, putting house in order, running errands, exercising in the morning. afternoons were for quieter hobby stuff, and by 3 pm I was resting with my leg up til it was time to prepare dinner. I would be content to resume such a schedule at some point, although I like Flutter's approach of clocking in a set number of mi utes of alternating activity and rest.
 
DAY12: With more short ice sessions and elevation, and a lower sodium intake, my swelling was significantly lower at the end of the day. I walked, did some light exercise now and then. I cut my tylenol intake from 1000 mg every 8 hours to 500 mg every 6 hours and took no oxycodone. a bit uncomfortable in the wee hours but I did get back to sleep. I was able to roll onto my side for brief periods in bed.

Today we need to make a trip to a small grocery store, it's a short walk through the meat/poultry area then a swing through produce on the way to the register. let's see how it goes.
Wow
Day 12 ! You are doing so well !! I think we had our surgery on the same day? I was 24/6. Hope your trip went ok. Xx
 
Maybe I miscounted. my surgery was 6/23. shopping was fine. PT today went well, bend is still at 100. I am trying to walk more today.
 
DAY14. two weeks ago I was in preop getting ready for my 7 am surgery. I think I am recovering well. Transitioning from walker to cane over the last few days. rom yesterday was 0/100. I felt so good I added extra walking to my late afternoon and had a bit of a restless night. Therein lies my biggest risk in the coming weeks: overdoing it.

I ramped down the tylenol and although I did premedicate with oxy before my pt yesterday I would like to be off that next. Over two weeks I have only taken 15 of the 42 5 mg pills they gave me in my initial rx. I come off the celebrex tomorrow and will ask if I can alternate tylenol and ibuprofen as needed. If I can control pain and swelling with rest and ice, I would prefer that.
 
Sounds like a plan. It’s good that you are aware of the severe temptation to join the ODIC (Over Did It Club :heehee:). Almost all of us became temporary members at one time or other. It’s not a club you want to be part of!
 
Sounds like a plan. It’s good that you are aware of the severe temptation to join the ODIC (Over Did It Club :heehee:). Almost all of us became temporary members at one time or other. It’s not a club you want to be part of!
I think I did spend a few hours there last night. Will try to avoid it. take for example things like housework.....is it really necessary?
 
Sounds like a plan. It’s good that you are aware of the severe temptation to join the ODIC (Over Did It Club :heehee:). Almost all of us became temporary members at one time or other. It’s not a club you want to be part of!
I think I did spend a few hours there last night. Will try to avoid it. take for example things like housework.....is it really necessary?
I think I was in this club yesterday too
 
DAY14. two weeks ago I was in preop getting ready for my 7 am surgery. I think I am recovering well. Transitioning from walker to cane over the last few days. rom yesterday was 0/100. I felt so good I added extra walking to my late afternoon and had a bit of a restless night. Therein lies my biggest risk in the coming weeks: overdoing it.

I ramped down the tylenol and although I did premedicate with oxy before my pt yesterday I would like to be off that next. Over two weeks I have only taken 15 of the 42 5 mg pills they gave me in my initial rx. I come off the celebrex tomorrow and will ask if I can alternate tylenol and ibuprofen as needed. If I can control pain and swelling with rest and ice, I would prefer that.
Jo that’s fantastic!!! I was in hosp too 3 weeks today ready for my surgery in the morning
How do you measure your ROM ?
Jan x
 
@Jo Wo :heehee: Oh those Fitbits sneaking in extra counts like that.
 
Beginning of week 3: I guess I did too much sitting at desk and walking yesterday and it dumped me into ODIC. The slow burning throbby medial pain was throbbing at a faster clip after my bedtime round of icing. Took an oxy at 11 pm, and tylenol as scheduled at 2 am. managed to sleep well after that.

going to take it easy this morning, half hour ride to postop checkup this afternoon. I think I have one of those crush able instant ice packs I can take for the ride home. I have kept one in my car for years with this knee. i also always had ziplock bags in my briefcase when travelling on business so I could ask flight attendants and waitstaff for some ice to improvise an ice pack. that strategy might be a good idea for anyone getting out and about after their recovery for the first few months.
 
Hey Jo

Happy 3rd week post op to us…hope all goes well today at your check up

Jan x
 
Back
Top Bottom