Guest viewing is limited

TKR LTKR on June 23

@sistersinhim My husband has rebuilt our recumbent more than once, says don't move pedals backward. I should be better pedals. I start outpatient pt in a few weeks. I guess they would let me rock the pedals.
 
That makes sense. When you start PT be sure to not let them hurt you. That will only cause a setback in your recovery.
 
Hi, saw your comment about the Fitbit not being accurate. I have a finess tracker too and found it didn't work for activities that didn't allow your arms to swing. Try keeping it in a pocket or attach it to a shoe. Be sure to attach it somehow though. I put one in my sock and it fell out.
 
Day11 or is it day12?
got back to sleep in the wee hours with no added meds, thats always a victory.

today I am going to go for shorter ice sessions and more elevation time. my biggest problem is a throbbing pain on the medial side, cant tell if its nerve pain or where he made that small muscle cut.
 
@Jo Wo Congratulations!! You did it. Just go slowly and you will heal. One thing: some of the meds you are taking can cause constipation. My doctor advised taking Colace for that. You might ask yours.
keep us posted on your recovery.
@Flutter1 they prescribed two senna tablets every night
Hey Jo
I had my surgery day after you
Arran x
 
Hang in there, JoWo! You know this will get better. You are heading into battle mode. Let your new knee be the commanding general!

Battlemode???
I now have the fear lol
Arran x
 
DAY8: Nights are difficult for sure, but ice helps first thing in the morning. today is no pt so I am streaming Doc Martin, and trying to walk at least 100 steps between episodes. Just a bit tired after those 100 paces, so I won't push it. My old fitbit does not count my rolling steps accurately so I just count in my head! I think I am past the worst swelling and the bruises get better day by day.
100 steps .. I might try this ! Ty x
 
Third pt session went fine, holding at 95/0. I decided not to do the stairs because I feel a little worn, but she said I am ok to do them with husband at any time I want. also, on pt days, I think an evening shower makes more sense than a full shower in the morning before pt.
Hi Jo
What do you mean holding 95/0?
where do you live ?
thanks -Arran x
 
@Arrangrl 95 degrees is the measurement of how far my new knee bends and at 0 extension it is perfectly straight.

I live in smithtown on long island ny
 
DAY12: With more short ice sessions and elevation, and a lower sodium intake, my swelling was significantly lower at the end of the day. I walked, did some light exercise now and then. I cut my tylenol intake from 1000 mg every 8 hours to 500 mg every 6 hours and took no oxycodone. a bit uncomfortable in the wee hours but I did get back to sleep. I was able to roll onto my side for brief periods in bed.

Today we need to make a trip to a small grocery store, it's a short walk through the meat/poultry area then a swing through produce on the way to the register. let's see how it goes.
 
You’re doing great! I remember my first outing to the grocery store. I had my list made out in the order of the aisles. Got there and they had rearranged the store. So much for a quick trip in and out!
 
Keep up the good work, Jo Wo. You are on track!
 
@FourCats I hate it when my local stores move things around! Has happened to me several times in the last 2-3 years. One store in particular frustrates me - just as example - they have 4 separate areas in the store for cheese! And they keep changing what types to put where. Bah humbug!
 
made it back from the grocery run, then took a shower. I am off duty til suppertime, resting.....icing.....elevating....and ankle pumping
 
Good morning from DAY13: took it easy most of the day yesterday after the grocery run. Able to make my own breakfast, lunch and cooked us a nice dinner trundling about the kitchen with my walker, it has a tray that sits securely on top.

I have cut back on the tylenol and not taken an oxycodone in two days. I am debating not using it before pt today.

I did not ice right before bed. This morning my knee feels and looks less inflamed.

I have a hunch that even though my initial rom has been great, the rate of improvement will be slow from now on. Tightness in the thigh is the problem. My hamstrings and adductor feel tight specifically. I wish I could get out and walk more, but that requires the full tick avoidance protocol. i had a tick bite on June 9, and went on mega dose doxycycline for a day. my surgeon said that was no cause to delay my 6/23 surgery. we live in a high lyme disease risk area, and there are lonestar ticks here as well. on the other hand a tick would be very easy to spot on the white compression stockings....
 
Ah, yes, Lyme disease! I have it and it is the reason my knees were destroyed along with a host of other symptoms! Stay away from those bad guys! You were wise to get the antibiotics right away.
Sounds like your recovery is going great.
is there anywhere you can walk inside, like a mall?
 
Tightness in the thigh is the problem. My hamstrings and adductor feel tight specifically.
Many members think PT is needed to alleviate tightness. Tightness is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed. You're tight because your tissue is healing...and full healing takes a full year or more.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Back
Top Bottom