Guest viewing is limited

TKR LTKR on June 23

Great ROM after only one week. Glad you are doing so well.
 
DAY8: Nights are difficult for sure, but ice helps first thing in the morning. today is no pt so I am streaming Doc Martin, and trying to walk at least 100 steps between episodes. Just a bit tired after those 100 paces, so I won't push it. My old fitbit does not count my rolling steps accurately so I just count in my head! I think I am past the worst swelling and the bruises get better day by day.
 
my favorite doe just came over with her two fawns to show them around. I haven't seen any deer here in weeks, but I knew they are dropping fawns in june. the little ones are eating greenery now. the doe was an orphan raised at the nature center across the street and this is her third batch of twins. It made my day!
 
How wonderful! I have a doe and fawn at my place but haven't seen them in about a week so they're probably hanging out in the woods where it's cooler. I also have a young hawk that is hanging out around my place.
 
DAY9: was able to get back to sleep in wee hours without oxy. today I am trying to cut the tylenol back off the 1000 mg every 8 hours to 650 extended release every 8 hours. swelling is definitely down, and i was able to get the surgical socks on without help. and the deer had the babies on our side of the fence this morning. Honored to be included in her safe grazing area for the little ones.
 
PT measured me at 101/0. She watched me walk a bit with the cane and said I am ok to use that sometimes and I don't need someone on the stairs with me anymore. I tried and made one revolution on my recumbent bike. it was painful so I think I will let that go till next week.
 
DAY10: I honestly thought I would have a rough night after yesterday's pt session, but I iced as I was falling asleep and then one more time around midnight. I woke several times to use the bathroom but was able to fall back asleep without any oxycodone. I only took one yesterday about an hour before the pt.

I had my husband bring my walker downstairs after I descended solo with my cane, and I made my own breakfast and fed the cat. now I am enjoying my coffee and oatmeal in my easy chair with the first ice of the day. no pt til tuesday so I plan on just ADLs and rest and ice for a few days. maybe an outdoor walk on the patio or front path if the weather breaks. we live on a hill so I cant venture off property for a while.
 
You are doing extremely well, so happy for you! :wowspring:
 
Jo Wo, you are an amazing woman!
thanks @Sisterpat, but I think I made some good decisions going into this:
1. months of work on strengthening and rom before surgery. my rom was 130 or 135/0 going in to surgery. I was still doing wall squats and straight leg lifts with 10 lbs on each leg.
2. I chose an experienced surgeon with a long track record on conventional knee replacements who is now using the latest Smith and Nephew Cori system. he makes only a small cut to the adductor.
3. The first pt told me to do the week 1 exercises 3 times a day. I did them once a day.
4. I stayed off the steps as long as I could after the surgery
5. Lots of ice and resting. I probably should elevate more, but my distal pulse has been strong.
6. I made the decision to do this while I am still young enough to have no other chronic health issues.
7. my pain management philsophy: before taking the narcotics, change positions, get up and walk, distract yourself, ice it. If all that fails, take the pill. some pain is a slow throb, but when it starts to be a constant searing or aching, it's time to take a pill.
8. day after pt should always be a resting easy day.

and of course, my husband of 42 years is doing a great job picking up my slack around the household duties.
 
For me, #6 was crucial. At 73, I am blessed with good health and it was one factor that pushed me into surgery!
 
The anemia is slowly getting better but it's still surprising how tiring taking a shower can be.
 
The anemia may be a factor, but your exhaustion is mostly because you just had major surgery, a surgery that caused a lot of trauma to your knee, and almost all of your body’s energy is being directed to healing that surgical trauma, which doesn’t leave much energy for anything else, and it can last for quite a while. I am not anemic and I was also exhausted from the healing.

This article is in the recovery guidelines:
 
I stayed exhausted for months! Still have to rest after activities.
 
my pain management philosophy: before taking the narcotics, change positions, get up and walk, distract yourself, ice it. If all that fails, take the pill.
I found when I woke up at night in pain, all I'd have to do was peddle the recumbent bike for about 5 minutes and it would ease it up. What a blessing that was!
 
I got one revolution yesterday but it hurt so I won't try that again for a number of days.
You can rock back and forth until you can do a revolution and it should help just as much. I was really surprised how much it helped.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Back
Top Bottom