Guest viewing is limited

TKR LTKR on June 23

OK. See how you get on with it, but don't force yourself to use it if it's too uncomfortable.
 
@Jo Wo Congratulations!! You did it. Just go slowly and you will heal. One thing: some of the meds you are taking can cause constipation. My doctor advised taking Colace for that. You might ask yours.
keep us posted on your recovery.
@Flutter1 they prescribed two senna tablets every night
 
Welcome to recovery! Take it one day at a time, and keep us posted.

I agree with Celle about the heel rest-keeping your heel on it to keep your knee straight may be too painful and, IMHO, unnecessary. But, if it doesn't hurt and you think it helps, then keep using it.

I found keeping my knee iced and elevated whenever I wasn't taking short walks around the house, was much more helpful in recovery and with reducing pain. I iced for hours each day, making sure to keep a cloth between my skin and the ice machine wrap, plus I iced all night long every night. That kept my pain down, and since I can't take any pain meds at all, it was a life saver.
 
Welcome & congratulations making it through with your new knee.

Listen to these ladies, they are full of wonderful knowledge. Ice, ice, ice, rest then ice again.
 
I iced before bed, took one 5 mg oxycodone at about 8 pm and my scheduled tylenol dose at 230 am, slept well fro. 830 to 130 and again from 3 to 530. slept in our bed together so he could get up to guard me any time I was on my feet through the night. the incision drainage has dried up dramatically. i guess nerve block and the painkiller he put into my knee before closing up the incision are still working. due for celebrex in an hour.

got all my dosages set up in a med minder app now.
 
DAY 3: a bit more pain but morning ice and a staggered med schedule bringing it down. I did not take any oxycodone last night. I can comfortably use the knee up bone foam chock for 15 minutes, and I think my lack of pain with that is due to the flexibility of my calves and hamstrings before surgery. I had tightness at the top of my calf on days 1 and 2 and that is gone now.

The good news is the scar is not leaking as of this morning, so I hope to be able to shower in two days.
 
@Jo Wo Sounds like your recovery is going smoothly. I loved having at-home PT. I felt that she was much more attuned to what worked for me and not nearly as aggressive as PT at a center. I had 8 sessions at home and no other PT except my own exercises, walking, and my stationary bike at home. My ROM at nearly 6 weeks is about 125 (doctor eyeballing it). Great news on the scar. Your first shower will be amazing.
 
thanks @Flutter1. I think the home pt did fine her first visit. I told her I did not want to do stairs till monday because my first personal goal is to get that scar dry, and she didn't argue. she did not lay a hand on me to try to push range. she gave me some week 2 exercises on my list because she saw that I was doing the week one exercises so well. I was very tired afterward so I will go through them slowly today. concentrating on getting swelling down first. after lunch, an oxy, exercise then nap.
 
Keep up the good work! All is going well for you thus far. Glad you have a good PT.
 
DAY4 morning: Just a tad of restless discomfort in the wee hours. I did all my pt exercises three times yesterday and walked frequently back and forth in the upstairs, so I took an oxy before bed. swelling is less than it was yesterday, scar looks fine. I iced before sleep but not during the night.

My husband has been great but he looks worn out, and I don't want to have his afib act up, so I try not to send him downstairs in the middle of the night.
 
I never iced through the night though other members do. As long as you are icing frequently during the day and you can manage to not be too uncomfortable during the night you should be fine.
Where on the Island do you live? My brother is in New Hyde Park.
 
Suffolk. I had an aunt who lived in Stonybrook. I’m so glad your recovery is going so well! Keep posting.
 
feeling a bit tired but I see my postop blood work on the patient portal. need time to heal and build up the red blood cells. glad we are retired, and july is usually a hot muggy month for staying indoors.
 
They are the bane of many members’ existence! Hot, muggy weather doesn’t help. My OS let me shed them after 2 weeks, though he originally said a month.
 
Back
Top Bottom