Guest viewing is limited

THR LTHR anterior - Recovery diary & waffle

Morning all, just over 3 weeks out now and everything is really achy and 'spiky' my thigh keeps getting really itchy, but just under the skin so I can't scratch it! All very frustrating, but guessing it's everything healing up. I just want the swelling to go down - I'm not going to fit in my work trousers at this rate...not sure pj's are appropriate for teaching
 
You are a few days ahead of me. I wonder if some of the nerves are 'waking up'?

I have a huge problem with swelling and took Layla's advice. I did no exercises yesterday except for some walking in the house (It is very cold outside). I found a way to comfortably sit with my legs raised on the sofa and it really worked. Very little swelling all day. Now, obviously, I can't live like this long-term but it works while the soft tissue is healing.

I have been wearing floaty dresses since the operation but I have decided to try getting back into trousers next week. It will be interesting to see how they fit.
 
I've got 2 pairs of wide leg, elastic waist, linen trousers for when I go outside and my wide pj bottoms for indoors! My work trousers are wide legs but the waists are not elastic so won't slip over my extra wide thigh
I am spending a lot of time elevated but it's the area around the top of the thigh that's swollen, internal swelling from the surgery? It is slowly going though, at the start I looked like I had a bustle over my left hip!
Yes, all the nerves are slowly firing back to life, it's quite interesting to feel...just not comfy!
Off for fish and chips with family today, involves an hour car ride and sitting in restaurant seats...ice and elevation when we get back!
 
not sure pj's are appropriate for teaching
:heehee: Wouldn't that be great though. Some loose, cozy seasonal pjs with a different theme each day. :wink:

I hope your new hip withstands the car ride for fish and chips.
Sounds yummy...enjoy!
 
Disclaimer: Moan incoming and I know the healing journey is long and im just at the start!
I'm feeling quite fed up now. All the aches and niggles are on par with what I had before surgery, but I can do less now than I could before!! I'm frustrated not being able to wear my 'normal' shoes, not being able to wear my jeans. I hate not being able to walk without thinking about it, not being able to soak in the bath, not being able to walk my dog, and the million and one other things yeh, pity party I know.
I think its just got me down today as I had a rubbish sleep, my leg wants to stretch but I feel like if I stretch it as I want to I might pop my hip (like I used to pre-op to relive the pain) and just argh....
 
Morning Sparks,
So sorry you are feeling down & defeated. Part of this recovery you do get into "depression/blues" phase. I'm so sorry you feel like you are struggling.
I clearly remember on Day 4 or 5 I was walking very good with walker & felt like I could once again become quite independent quickly. Even told my partner to continue his twice a week trips to care for his Mom as well as babysit his young grandson. He did do all of this so those days I was on my own 12 hours. I learned to adjust but by 2nd month I was in the dumps, bad, crying & not even know why some days just that I wanted my old life back.
Call a friend, watch a silly holiday movie, eat chocolate ice cream (my nemesis)!
Or just come here & vent, pity parties are the specialty here!
Majority of us have been where you are & do understand the frustration.
 
@myglasshalffull I've had myself out for a dog walk!! I'm normaly the main dog walker and have realised not getting my daily dose is part of my gloominess. So, I decided to sod everything and go! I put on my annoying trainers that I now detest and got them absolutely filthy. Loved every minute of it. Max was brilliant, he can be a darn for pulling but, with my waist lead, he knew he had to behave! (I tried to attach a photo but it's too big ) quick dinner prep then on to the couch for elevation & ice x
Next time I'm grumpy tell me to go for a walk!!!!
 
4 weeks post op today
Everything is getting easier, which is brilliant. I can (accidently) put trousers on 'normally' but still no sock joy
I got in to the car 'normally' yesterday, again by accident!
I do need to be a little more careful now my body has decided it can do stuff again. I discovered last night I can lift the duvet when I'm laying on my side - this is huge as I haven't been able to do that for years due to the joint pain!!
My scar is looking really good, most of the glue is off now, just a small bit left near the groin where it hadn't quite healed when the first dressing came off. I am super impressed with the neatness of it.

I'm not doing any extra walking at the moment as it's far too cold and the hip does not enjoy the shivering

I'm un no way saying I'm feeling brilliant or that everything is easy...just things are getting easier. There are still lots of aches and pains as the healing process continues, I still use my stick outside and in an evening if I'm tired and limping I use it inside as well.

Physio on Monday, will see what they say.
 
@Sparks22 That all sounds so positive to me. I am a little behind you and I am finding each day I can do something new. I agree about it still being a slow but sure process.

I have my final dressing off later today - later than it should have been because I couldn't get an earlier appointment.

My surgeon said I should be able to drive from four weeks - next Tuesday! I am not convinced, nor will I get behind the wheel if I feel I cannot emergency brake. I live on the edge of a forest and it is rutting season. The deer run out from nowhere.

I hear you on the cold weather!!!
 
still use my stick outside and in an evening if I'm tired and limping I use it inside as well.
This is very wise. Especially to prevent limping -- you don't want to get into that habit with your new hip.

Slow and steady. You are doing well for less than a month post-op.

:flwrysmile:
 
you don't want to get into that habit with your new hip.
I need to break the habit!! I've had a terrible limp for the past 2 years trying hard to reset the muscles and make them work 'normally'!

My surgeon said I should be able to drive from four weeks
Definitely only start again when you feel ready. I was only able to due to have an automatic and not needing to use my left leg, it just sits there not doing anything! I'm very careful though and drive hyper aware!
 
I've had a terrible limp for the past 2 years trying hard to reset the muscle
I had the same problem after my THR, which I had put off for so long that I had a "permanent limp." Something that helped me was heal-toe walking. I don't think we've shared this info with you before:

Heel-toe walking
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe. Here is a visual
1639236580030.jpeg


It's important to really slow down and concentrate through the entire step. It will feel awkward at first, but with practice, it will become more natural. It you do it consistently, after a week or two, you'll start to notice a difference.
 
I am trying to use the heel to toe walking with my walking aids. I walk well with them but as soon as I take a few steps without, I limp. I was trying to work out if it is because it hurts (a little), is weak (yes it still does not like to hold my full weight) or habit (probably as I had a pronounced limp for a year before the operation.

Retraining my brain is going to be tough.
 
trying to use the heel to toe walking with my walking aids.
That's smart. The more you practice, the more natural it will become.
Yep, I am trying to make sure I do heel to toe. I admit it's hard as I am a fast walker and have to reset my brain in to slowing down to get the gait correct. My other issue is my right hip hates walking slowly and it hurts! I've always been that way, slow walking is painful on my hips, fast and long strides seem to hurt less blah, we will get there.
 
it's hard as I am a fast walker and have to reset my brain in to slowing down to get the gait correct.
I get it. I was the same way. Even though I am much shorter than my husband, I always left him in the dust when we went for a walk together. He loves my new slower stride. :heehee:
 
Physio went OK I guess....he was mean and has given me more stuff to do He's really good, listened to everything I was saying and agrees I need to work on my glute. So small bridges, sitting & standing NOT using arms a couple of times a day. I really need to concentrate on using my new leg more as I am still relying on my right to do all the work. He tried to get me to do leg raises while laying on my non-op side. I did give it a go...but nope, proper pain, and he stopped me. Agreed I'm not ready for band work as I need to get the leg stronger, so keep up with side raise things....I'll be honest, I don't do them enough. Yes, just normal moving about is great for recovery but if I want to get anywhere I need to work on my muscles. They are so poor after not using them properly for the past few years
He commented again on the state of my right hip on the x-ray and asked when I was getting that one done yeh, not for a few years, I need to save up!
Still wasn't allowed to take a pic of my xray, he said if the consultant doesn't let me in 2 weeks then tell him and he'll get permission. I'm seeing him again as he wants to monitor things for a bit longer.

Rest day today - I did 9k steps yesterday ‍ as I met my Auntie in York for lunch afterwards.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom