Guest viewing is limited

THR LTHR anterior - Recovery diary & waffle

Oh my, @Sparks22! Please be careful with this. The therapists instruct us to use the double-stepping "up with the good, down with the bad" approach for a reason. You are very early days post-op when the risk of dislocation is the highest.

Are you using a cane or crutch when you do stairs?
 
Oh my, @Sparks22! Please be careful with this. The therapists instruct us to use the double-stepping "up with the good, down with the bad" approach for a reason. You are very early days post-op when the risk of dislocation is the highest.

Are you using a cane or crutch when you do stairs?
Don't panic! I was going to reply yesterday to say I know I'm not meant to and it's more of a shock as I have had to think about stairs for a few years now due to the dysplasia and pain.

Today is a different story. I've just got back from my physio appointment, they are very happy with my progress and they basically said "You've had the best surgery, you have no restrictions remember that and just listen to your body" I asked about the stairs and he said if it doesn't hurt then go for it.
The risk of dislocation with the way my surgeon does it is less than 1%

I just have to get over my own brain block now , which has spent years shielding the leg from pain. I can do more now in the way I can lift it and move than I could 4 weeks ago, with zero pain.
 
I just have to get over my own brain block now , which has spent years shielding the leg from pain.
I can relate to this! I spent years doing things to protect my bad hip and it took a long time to break some of those habits. They say it takes 30 days to create a new habit, but longer to break an old one!
 
Evening all. I got my car back from her mot on Thursday and did a trial drive on Friday, everything went well and I've got a bit of freedom back! Plus my kids . I've also managed the small dog walk (oh had the dog!) Which is just over 1/2 mile but includes the steepest slope in the village. Took it super slow but it felt amazing. It's normaly a 15 min speed walk but I was proud to do it in 35 mins I also started side sleeping at the weekend, oh the bliss of falling asleep vaguely comfy.
Don't get me wrong, it's not like im breezing through this. Side of my thigh still feels like it's been kicked by a horse, lots of niggles and discomfort at the front and achy groin. Can't put my left sock on and not seeing that happening anytime soon, or wearing any other shoes apart from my slip on trainers. I just want to celebrate everything I can do
 
Great milestones!!!!
You might consider scheduling a more active day alternating with a more restful day at this point, allowing things to continue to heal and your structure to continue to adapt.

Have we discussed shoes with you? If not... As you're resuming real world walking, take a look at your shoes. If they show an uneven wear pattern (usually shows up on inner or outer heel depending on your pre-op gait) we recommend buying new shoes that won't disrupt your heel-toe stride.
 
Today is definitely a rest day, I have nothing planned apart from making tea later

The trainers I'm wearing are practically new, so no wear on the soles. I'm trying to find myself some new walking/hiking shoes that are slip on but that's proving tricky. I do need something with a decent tread for walking around my village as its very hilly and so slippy at this time of year.
 
Have you tried Skechers Slip-ins? Hands free, slip-in but supportive?
I as super excited when I went to try a pair on on a couple of months ago but I didn't like the feel of them on the back of the heel
 
Ah, that's a shame. There is a huge range to choose from. I got a basic one for when I couldn't bend before the surgery and more recently got a lovely walking boot for my recovery. I admit it will never replace my much loved walking boots that have been with me for 20 years but for the short term they are fine.

Finding the right footwear is a mission.
 
I'd happily wear my walking shoes (though they are due for replacing) but the chances of me being able to do laces anytime soon is looking slim!
I struggled to do laces and socks over the past year and in the end I had to have my leg bent outwards to a ridiculous angle to get down to them - I am not willing to try that manoeuvre at the moment! And I just don't have the flexibility to bend right over as I've lost all that due to the dysplasia/osteoarthritis restricting that range of movement over the past few years.
I've no idea how to go about getting that back, something I will be discussing with the pt on my next visit at the end of the month.
 
Hi Sparks! I'm new to the community ☺️ and if it's posted somewhere already and I just haven't seen it...I apologize. Can I ask - how long ago did you have your surgery? And, at this point, what is your overall take-away as regards recovery? Harder, easier, longer, etc than expected? Or just about what you thought it would be? Thanks
 
how long ago did you have your surgery? And, at this point, what is your overall take-away as regards recovery? Harder, easier, longer, etc than expected?
I had it done on the 25th october, so I'm day 18 post op I didn't know what to expect from recovery, just went by my superhuman parents and had their recovery as a ballpark - they are leagues above me fitness wise!
You can read about my recovery on this thread, I've waffled since around day 3 I think? Basically I was up and about 8 hours after surgery and discharged next day. No restrictions due to the anterior approach. Showering on day 2, stairs on day 4 when I was properly home. Very tired for the first few days. No stick in house by the end of the 2nd week, still take it outside. Back to driving (automatic) on day 14 which was a relief. Slowly getting back to normal and trying not to get annoyed that I still can't do everything!
 
Gee! You sound to me like you're doing pretty good I know we're all different and our post op journeys will, likewise, be different. Trying not to make myself too anxious thinking about all the things that can go sideways (no pun intended), but that's always been my personality when it comes to surgeries. Ugh.
 
Hi Sparks! I'm new to the community ☺️ and if it's posted somewhere already and I just haven't seen it...I apologize. Can I ask - how long ago did you have your surgery? And, at this point, what is your overall take-away as regards recovery? Harder, easier, longer, etc than expected? Or just about what you thought it would be? Thanks
Hi @daisyduck0801 - great questions about recovery to ask other members who are recent new hipsters!!!

Just a FYI: every one of us has a custom signature at the bottom of our posts that shows our surgery date(s)
 
Hi Sparks :wave:
You may benefit from an inexpensive sock aid until you're feeling more comfortable putting on socks.
Link here -> Sock Aid

An example of no tie laces, Freyagirl, mentioned above. Link here -> No Tie Shoelaces
Slowly getting back to normal and trying not to get annoyed that I still can't do everything!
Definitely takes patience. Slowly but surely you'll get there! :yes:
Have a good week!
 
@daisyduck0801 Oh believe me my mind was having a field day in the weeks before the op! I was having panic attacks most mornings I was even trying to persuade myself that my issues weren't really that bad and maybe I could wait a few more years!!

@Freyagirl I've had a look at those on amazon, I think the ends of them would dig into my feet and bug me. I've got hyper sensitive feet, which is annoyed as otherwise those would be great!

@Layla if I'm not able to do my socks by the time I'm due back to work then I'll be getting one. For the moment my oh is enjoying his sock duties
 
Re: shoes. We have a wedding on Saturday. Unfortunately my high heel days are long gone & what looks good with a pretty outfit? Flats? Nope, not a fan. If it was summer I have nice pair of platform sandals that go nicely with my outfits, otherwise I wear OOFOS slip on sneaker type shoes daily & their slides in the house.
So for the wedding I purchased a pair of silver sequin platform sneakers! They are gorgeous!!!
I'll be good to dance!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom