TKR Lt. knee done and now so is the Right. Recovery here I come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like you are doing great leeja!!hope the sleeping gets better soon, but you are doing just the right thing in allowing yourself to sleep in the day when you are comfortable. Thank goodness for our recliners!! Good luck with the staples coming out today. I have been advised to rub e45 cream into my scar, now that there is no leakage, and all is secure. This is helping, as I notice that all the skin around my suture line, and the knee in general, is becoming very dry. All seems to be healing very well. My knees still feel very numb, especially on the outer aspects. Wonder how long that lasts? Take care. :friends:
 
Well the staples all came out yesterday so now only some steri strips in a couple of places. PT came a couple of hours after that and went through my paces of easy stretches and lifts-- Doing OK - I have full extension but flexion is a work in progress - it is at 80 if we use a number and that is OK because I know it will come. Felt really wiped out after that for the rest of the evening. Slept on and off and even managed to turn on either side for a bit with support. Pt also showed me again scar circular massage using Vitamin E oil. She says it will also help keep the scar from turning dark. We will see as I did not do this for the other knee but am doing it now for both and will see if it changes the scar color.

My hubby ended up being home with me since after he left for work in the AM, he was back in 15 min since he hit a deer with the car.Life is never boring. At first he was going to take the other car and go to work but thought better of it- especially after he asked me to call the insurance company. I explained that I am not really at my best with the pain meds to do this.

Today, the excitement was that the dog door made a noise and in came my dog. He seemed to have slipped his collar and got free. Not a big deal since he loves to be in the house and all I had to do was shut the door that would block the dog door access. He is actually being quite a love - sleeping on the love seat and escorting me on my walks to the bathroom and around the kitchen.

Never a dull moment even with recovery which should be more boring. Well tomorrow another visit from my OP PT and then on THur probably the final visit from my visiting nurse - she just wants to make sure my incision still looks good after the staple removal. Hopefully, it will stay fine and I do not have to see her again.
 
What an exciting life you are leading! Though I am sorry for the poor deer! We have roe deer around here too but they are quite shy and we do not see them on the road thank goodness. Glad your husband was ok after what must have been a nasty shock!
Sounds like the dog is being loving company for you. My daughter and partner went back to London today, and hubby to work, and I must say although it was great to have them, I enjoyed t is afternoons peace and had a long nap! Continue to go well, lee sounds like you are making great progress. I have managed no to get over onto my side in bed too. It is not as easy as before yet, but it is a great feeling to be able to do it once more!! :ok:
 
Hi Lee,
Sounds like you are making excellent progress. Good to have those staples out.
Is the vitamin E oil in a bottle?
Someone suggested to me using vitamin E capsules and opening one each time to massage in.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend, hugs, Toothfairy x :spin: :SUNsmile: :spin:
 
The Vit E is in a bottle already. I had actually bought it for my hands as I heard something on a TV show about it being good for dry skin.
 
Hi leejaa just finished reading your thread. Both knees done in less than a year. Good going. You seem to have got through it pretty well. Its good for me to read success stories from time to time. It keeps your pecka up. How is the left knee coping with the right? Do you get any discomfort from the left knee now? Carol
 
patient 99: The left knee is doing well - a twinge here and there but nothing untoward. I still have one spot on the outside of that knee that is still adjusting and gives a twinge with certain movements. The OS said it is just an attachment stretching out and adjusting to rolling over the new prosthesis--he told me months ago it would eventually go away and it has decreased. I think having it to depend on when I stand up or move around is helping the right knee recovery.

The right knee is doing well. I seem to be having an easier time than with the left, part of that is the fact that I did not get the quad muscle spasms so am not taking Flexeril as a muscle relaxer which really made me super loopy last time. Almost at 90 degree flexion - and I have full extension. The usual issues with sleeping but OK. Still using a walker, which again is OK - I would rather have the support and not take any chances. It might also be recovering better since I was in better shape as I could still do some walking on it - when I did the left I could barely walk with a cane so was pretty much not walking and had more muscle atrophy.

I chose to get both done for multiple reasons, after having the left knee be without pain - it was annoying to still hurt after walking in the right knee and I figured might as well get it over with before it gets postponed for too long and gets to the point I cannot walk on it like the left was before surgery. Also, I had met all my deductibles up to $3,000 for the year so I have no out of pocket expenses which was a huge saving. A minor reason was the fact that the job market is so unstable lately - no security in jobs no matter how long you have worked somewhere so I kept joking that if I needed to find a new job I would need two good knees.
 
Honestly, you sound like a woman 6 months into recovery, not a couple of weeks. I know they say everybody is different, but THAT DIFFERENT! We are all human after all. But I'm pleased for you. I think the need to manage TKRs around work and costs is a job in itself.

I'm sure there is a book just waiting to be written. All the first hand experiences we have on BS, it should be a doddle. Chapter 1: IS IT NORMAL Dabber Sue a new project for us. Better than OU stuff.
 
patient 99: We are all different and I realize how lucky I have been so far - first with my left knee and now so far with the right. You and the others who have a slower and harder -longer recovery are the ones I look up to since the amount of persistence and patience you have to practice is astounding and admirable. You are my heroes. Thank you for continuing to post and having a sense of humor so often to cheer everyone on.
 
Good morning Lee,
I am just catching up with you. Sounds like things are still progressing well for you.
Great news.
Have a lovely day,
Hug, Toothfairy x :flwrysmile: :bicycle2:
 
Still doing OK and practicing patience. Had issues with my internet connections so was off line for over a day. Really made me realize that having access to this forum really makes me feel more part of the world especially since I live in the country and my husband is gone 12+ hrs per day. Again, so thankful for this site.

On an interesting aside, started using Vit E oil on my scar and my skin had a slight reaction- all red and bumpy. Stopped using it - and it is now settling now but actually ended up with tougher skin around the scar at the moment till it recovers and sloughs off (I hope).
 
tougher skin around the scar at the moment till it recovers and sloughs off (I hope).
Hi Lee,
I have got tougher skin around my scar too, and am using E45 cream, but I was thinking that was due to the surgery not the cream. My skin was getting flaky, a bit like the peel after mild sunburn, and the cream is helping with that and keeping my skin supple.
glad to hear that you are doing well. My husband is back to work now too, but only 2 1/2 days a week, as he is semi retired. I must say I am enjoying the peace! Seriously though it is nice to have a bit of space, but 12 hours space a day, does sound a bit too much! so I do understand. Yes it is good to have a forum to talk about all the little things we are experiencing, and can share with others who are interested and can understand! It is and has been a huge help to me.:SUNsmile: I keep thinking about you, and your lovely trees and squirrels to gaze out on! My rather dull view has been made worse by the fact that the powers that be have decided to make this the time that they relay all the gas pipes to the houses in my street. So the road is a hive of noise, drilling and activity...it is going to get worse! they are having a very long lunch break at the moment and all is quiet...makes my afternoon nap a bit precarious!
 
Hi Lee, I finally made it to your thread. :bicycle2: Isn't it wonderful to have BOTH knees done and on the road to a full recovery. I went walked outside today with my P/T and immediately noticed a difference in my gait. I wasn't limping, it was more of a dipping of the newborn knee, but a much stronger walk. Still uneasy, but sturdy. :yes!: I haven't been released from my walker, but it'll happen soon.

Hubby napping. Typically, he was stating how tired he was from driving up and down and then having to stop at store for pain meds. He even told me that driving up and down to visit and be with me was harder than the surgery and he would have willingly have traded.

:rotfl: :loll: Sounds like my oldest adult "age" son. Ever time mention anything hurting, he having a similar pain, or he does his "at least your walking, or doing better," or some sort of look on the bright-side comment. I finally pointed it out to him, and thought that what he was supposed to do. "What else am I gonna say?" :doh:Um, sorry to hear that, what do you need me to do, how can I help, help out a bit more... the list goes on. :rofsign:

I am not planning on cooking for a while - do not want a swollen knee and a set back. Want to keep moving forward.

Cooking is my thing and I don't know how much longer I can hold out! But like you I don' want a set back , so I must keep it really simple.

I too LOVE to cook but haven't been able to do much since surgery one. The first time I tried to cook something I screwed it up (in my book) my kids were okay with it. I think I finally got my groove back just before the last surgery when I made Pesto Chicken. Now I'm back on lock-down and at the mercy of my kids and well-meaning people. I don't want to sound ungrateful, but um...:umm:HOWEVER, I too don't want the swollen leg and set back, so I will have to stay out of the kitchen and take what I can get, or get "take-out!"

I'm so tired tonight, I woke up and the boys had already ordered pizza. I'm not in the mood for cold cheap pizza. So I'm going to have an orange and whatever else I can scrape up. I can always "live off the land" it's not like I'll waste away. :skep: :heehee:

Wishing you a good night's sleep :sleep:
 
Have been freed to cane but still using walker at night and first thing in the AM when I am not so together especially since I have to use the cane in the left hand and it is counter intuitive for me. Measured my flexion and it is at 102 and still have full extension.

Now starts the dance, feeling more mobile, doing more things upright and not anything unique just more walking and more PT and pain and tiredness increased. Last night, the leg was really aching. Have to find a good balance again - might have gotten too pumped up yesterday with going outside and being on cane - well the knee reminded me it was not as ready as I was. Rest today.
 
Well, I sort of cooked dinner yesterday but it was the easy way - crockpot - had a corned beef in the freezer so had my husband get the crockpot out and I put the stuff in and turned it on. I even took the food out of the crockpot later and we had dinner. Hubby was very appreciative to be free of cooking one day.

I am now doing stairs daily - going out in the afternoon so I can let my puppy loose and he spends the afternoon in the house with me. I was slow on doing the stairs daily except for coming home from hospital since I am home alone all day with hubby at work so did not want to experiment and could not when using a walker alone . PT doing well, she is gentle and in fact gave me some massages because I had some painful spots in my calf and behind my knee and loosened up the muscles. Also, showed me how to help with the know in my calf that I can do myself. I found out on Fri that I could lie on my stomach and now sleeping is a little more comfortable as I can turn more.

Have been using a cane since Wed and it is going well - feels good not to have the big walker- plus now I can make my own tea during the day and carry it much easier.

Today was a great day as my hubby took me for a ride - we have many hills around us and a lake so we went around one side of the lake and I got to see the gorgeous fall tree colors- it was great. We took the puppy with us and stopped at a small park and my husband let him play and I got to be out staring at the colors and the lake for a while. I was just out about an hour but took my ice with me and came home and elevated and iced some more - no bad pain. In fact, planning on going out to breakfast next week end. Feeling tired right now since I do not believe I napped at all today. I am sure I will make up for it tomorrow when I am home alone and no PT to visit me.

So glad I had the other knee done as this recovery is doing better than last and I think some of this is due to the fact this knee was not as totally trashed as my left. The right knee was bone on bone and painful with walking but not as bad as the left. I am really looking forward to having two strong knees. So far so good, hoping it continues and making sure I take it easy enough so I do not set myself back.

Hubby has a birthday tomorrow but we are postponing celebration till Nov when I can go out for dinner with him and not worry about how long I am up and how much swelling my knee might do. Not much fun if you worry about the affect on the knee. Hubby is totally in agreement. It is kind of funny because my birthday was during my recovery period of the left knee and now his is during my right knee.
 
:goodpost:
All sounds like excellent progress Lee,
Isn't it great how small achievements like being able to make and carry a cuppa mean so much!
Hope your husband has a nice birthday and you can both look forward to celebrating later.
Be proud of yourself and celebrate your progress.
Take care,
Hugs Toothfairy x :yahoo:
 
Update: Doing well. Biking 10m recumbent stationary bike with no resistance. Walking with a cane. Still some swelling and pain. Taking dilaudid every 6-7 hrs and taking Tylenol and Ibuprofen regularly. Actually taking less Dilaudid at night-sleeping better. Up usually only 1x per night and after a bit falling asleep again.

Working on getting stamina up with longer walks outside - thank goodness the fall weather has been very nice so easier to do. We have 70 acres with some paths so have been using those and enjoying the scenary. Rainy today so probably will not go anywhere- my walks are on grass and do not want to slide and fall.

I am to see my OS tomorrow so will see. Home PT has been great with slow and easy and some great massages over my tight hamstrings and quads. She also showed me some tricks to release some tight muscle attachments both on my quads and behind my knee at the top of my calf. Flexion last measured is 110 easily and 115 after some muscle massage and tendon release tactics by the PT. I have had full extension.

Since I am running out of FMLA I am planning to return to work the week of 10/27 at least 3d/wk. Not much of a choice. I had to do the same with previous knee and it was tough - stamina wise but have no choice as cannot lose my job. My job is mainly sitting and have freedom to stand and ice as I need- I can sit with my leg elevated under my desk. I am hoping for the best. I actually do not spend that much time sitting with my legs down at home so I hope I will be able to tolerate it OK at work in 2 wks.

Unfortunately, have some stress lately from my husband. He seems to think that since I am walking with a cane and can do more for myself I should be able to do everything. I have been able to make dinner a couple times last week -granted some of this was reheats and the other ones were crock pot. Yesterday, he was all ticked off because I did not remember something - drugs do that to me - I get fuzzy about things. It was minor but he went on and on and then asked me if I was still on meds- I guess if I am walking and talking I should be all healed and off drugs. I do not know where he got the idea I was not taking pain meds - they are parked right next to my center of operations in the living room. I realize this is hard on him too as this is my second knee this year but it still hurts. I figured this was a good place to let it out of my system so I can move on and let go of my hurt and anger.
 
Oh Leeja you sound like you are doing so good.

Sorry about the blip with your husband. Men just don't get it sometimes. He's been good to you so far so I'm sure he'll come around. This recovery is hard on families too. Just don't let it interfere with the strides you are making in your recovery and try to still take it slow and maybe explain to him again but I'll bet he sees it himself.

Keep up the great recovery. It is inspiring to me to read about it.
 
I am so sorry about your husband. Mine could not be more supportive. Bless you. MM


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom