TKR Lt. knee done and now so is the Right. Recovery here I come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything sounds good! Knowing the routine must be nice. When I was told they would use a catheter I though,yuck, but I was so glad to have that and not have to get up at night! You are on track for success!
 
The catheter thought is yuck but the nice part is they out it in when you are already medicated and out so easier mentally. Especially great since they want me to drink a lot and get the kidneys woken up and otherwise I would be trying to get up every 30-45m so this is a blessing.

Just had my dose of Xarelto which is a blood thinner. It is one of the new ones--you just take one pill a day for 2 wks. No blood work in between to stay on level-it keeps the level even with no testing. I had it last time and it was nice. I do not mind blood draws but very happy not to worry about getting my blood too thin and bleeding or anything else. The stuff is pricey but for me well worth it - after all the knee is pricey too.

Funny,even with the wrapping my knee looks straight instead of what it was.

To everyone having surgery tomorrow or after- best wishes. Can't wait to have you join me and the others on the recovery side.
 
You sound so alert post surgery leeja, ! Hope all continues as well for you. Sounds like your facility is well organised with all you could need. Go well :egypdance:
 
Not much sleep last night, just could not get comfortable and eyes closing. Of course, the one time I drifted off, I was interrupted by routine vital signs check. So far pain control good, never more than 5 since been in the room. Right now, waiting for morning pain after much activity- first of all foley catheter removal, oxygen off, IVs disconnected but left in for meds and then washing up in bed, getting dressed with help and then first stand up and now sitting in recliner with feet up. Pain climbing with all the movement and standing. Still heavy dressing around leg and ace bandages on quite tight to help reduce any chance of swelling for the first 24-48hrs. Of course doing my ankle pumps and the spirometer.

Forgot a little how hard it is to get out of bed with a stiff and painful knee right after post op and even a few steps the first days are not much fun. Luckily I can trust my other knee but ouch though it felt good to be sitting on side of bed for a moment.

Next, pain meds and breakfast and then 9am PT for an hour- it is a group setting so the hour is not all concentrated on me. PT again at 1pm.
 
My goodness they are keeping you busy lee! Bet you sleep better tonight. Hope all this group pt isn't too much for you. I had 3 lots of visitors my first day, and they left me sitting out all afternoon and evening...fair zonked me for the next two days, so you take it steady and get plenty of rest. Take care. :groan:
 
I do not allow visitors just because they are exhausting. Just my husband. PT is a group but it is slow and easy exercises mostly in chair at your own pace and then of course a walk and even that is as far as you can with a chair behind you to stop anytime you are tired. Did hurt after the PT a bit but came back to the room and was able to go to the bathroom and then the nurse right away got me one pain med and gave it to me IV so that it would hit faster and then more pain meds after I had lunch so that I would not get an upset stomach- these were pills. They are supportive but do not really push if you cannot do or tell you you must. Soon another session of PT- will do what I can and see what happens. Leg is still all ace bandaged till tomorrow which restricts motion plus it gives me the feeling of being more trapped which makes it hard for me to sleep and it is warm with all the extra wrapping even with the ice pack on. The wrapping will come off tomorrow AM and I will be so glad but keep telling myself it is there to reduce swelling. I am just thankful that my OS does not require the TED compression stockings or a CPM machine but is heavy on encouraging easy motion at your own pace and ice/elevation. I hate being contained and I do not think I could tolerate the CPM machine -again feeling trapped and claustrophobic.

I forgot to say in my earlier note that the OS also puts a slow release pain meds into the joint itself. He feels this is better than femoral block and causes less issues and more support for the patient. I had this last time also, just did not remember, and it seemed to work very well for me.

Everyone is quite nice but cannot wait to go home to my own pace and some peace and quiet. I cannot believe how much more aware I am this time with the different meds and more knowledge of the process at the hospital first hand from experience.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Lt. knee done and now so is the Right.  Recovery here I come.
to
[Bonesmart.org] Lt. knee done and now so is the Right.  Recovery here I come.
the
[Bonesmart.org] Lt. knee done and now so is the Right.  Recovery here I come.


leejaa! Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Good progress Leejaa, take it gently, hope you have a better night tonight,
Hugs Toothfairy x :cheers: :dancy:
 
I hope I can sleep also - had a really nice nap after PT for about an hour, that is until the PA came in to check on me. Oh well, I should be home tomorrow and should be able to sleep or nap whenever I want at home.

They told us in PT they wanted us to do another set of these exercises in our room tonite-- not going to happen- tired and want to rest ice and elevate and I will. Slow and easy is much better and resting worked for me last time so I am doing it again. I want to go home tomorrow and not be hurting half the night. I am scheduled for a walk in the hall and that is fine and that I will do as it helps me to get used to getting around the house when I get there.
 
Go leejaa! You are the master of your knee!! Just noticed one of my favorite vineyards is up in your area, the Rasta Ranch Vineyard. Sleep well :zzz: :sleep: :zzz: !
 
Sounds like you are doing very well, lee, and your care, while a bit intrusive, and pt a little over active, seems really very good. I too had the surgeon placed "pain capsule", in the joints, and as you say this worked very well. I did not have a cpm machine either, but I was attached to compression bootees, to aid circulation which delayed my independence, so was a bit of a pain. There however is nothing like your own space is there? It is lovely to be home where each day I am able to do a little more for myself. I am however resting and elevating plenty, and I don't feel guilty about that, not at all! Fantastic that your OS does not use ted stockings...that's the first I've heard!they are such a nuisance getting on and off, though I am about to buy a sock helper in the hope that this will help me to do this for myself, don't like it being one more job for dh. The only thing to be said for them is as the weather is getting cooler, they are keeping my legs warm!!
Hope you sleep well tonight and have a pleasant journey home tomorrow, hope you haven't to go far. Take care :friends:
 
Janis, do not know that vineyard but will have to look it up now.
 
Well it is a wonderful morning. I had actually almost 6hrs of sleep last night- first sleep like that in about 3 nights. It feels so wonderful. Today, my leg gets cut free of the heavy padding and ace bandage and I cannot wait, the leg is too warm and itchy from the wrapping and as usual the ace is bunching behind the knee. My bladder and the time for pain meds actually coincided at 4am so it was very providential. Now re medicated and re iced and here I am.

Did not even have my walk in the hall last night, the floor was busy and they never came to escort me and I cannot go alone as they park the walker far away from chair so that you have to call for assistance to get up. They offered to let me go at 10p but at that time I really needed to lie down so walked around my room a bit putting my stuff away in suitcase and getting my clothes out for tomorrow and said I would pass. Must have been the right choice since I slept.

Just saw my OS 520a . If my PT goes well, I can be sprung today. I will know later. Cannot wait, to be able to get up without calling for someone and be in my own bed and chair-almost heaven in comparison. Actually,yesterday I kept walking out of the bathroom when done since they were busy and unable to respond quickly to be here as I went back to my recliner. I figured it was safer for me to get back 10 steps to the recliner than stand in the doorway waiting for someone to be there as I walked. They seemed to agree.

Now if I can do the stair test this morning I can go home--yay. This will also be easier on hubby as it is a 1-1/2 hrs one way so he is doing a lot of driving each day plus sitting in uncomfortable chair while here and he is very tall so that is an effort for him. Home will be best for both of us even though he will be helping more especially this week end and then he goes back to work.
 
The good news is I am going home this morning or more likely noonish by the time the paperwork is done. Passed my PT test of stair climbing. It will feel so good to go home. Flexion was 67 and extension -6. Works for me- I can walk and get up by myself with my handy strap to assist with the leg. The PT kept trying to encourage me to force a bigger bend of the knee but I just said no and said it will come slowly but surely like the other knee did. Can't wait to go home and be able elevate better. Having more quad pain with this one than the last knee on flexion and more pain above the surgical levels from the tourniquet but no bruising yet. We will see. As I wrote before, I am a control freak about myself and want to have some control over my environment even though it will be harder at home to a small degree - no one to bring me a drink but it is all worth it.

I even managed to get out of the get in and out of the car test since I just had the other knee done in January. The funniest part is that in January they never taught or tested me on car getting in and out- luckily I had read their handbook so had a plan for front seat and if needed learned from this site about using the back seat.

Besides sharing, this is a great spot to just express what is going on--so thankful to have this site as a resource and a place to feel at home and understood. Having emotions bubbling today--edge of teariness which I know is OK and normal but still a little strange for me as normally I am extremely controlled about emotions. Again, thank goodness for this site and everyone on it.
 
Great news about getting home Leejaa,
Take it easy and rest when you get there. Enjoy your home comforts.
I can relate to what you are saying about emotional upheaval, I found the same. It will pass and you will get back to your normal self, just go with the flow for the moment. :yes:
Toothfairy x :goodpost:
 
I am home, only forgot one charger at the hospital for my chromebook- luckily I have another at home but now will have to buy another -oh well add it to the cost of the surgery. If the hospital was closer I would ask hubby to get it since he was the one packing (always a mistake) and since I was newly medicated my brain was on rest mode.

Made it home and that is all that counts, am in my own little bed in the living room and peace and quiet around me. Hubby napping. Typically, he was stating how tired he was from driving up and down and then having to stop at store for pain meds. He even told me that driving up and down to visit and be with me was harder than the surgery and he would have willingly have traded. I did not even get upset since it obviously shows he has no idea of what we go through with the surgery and healing.

The PA at the hospital first gave me a pain med Norco instead of the Dilaudid I had been on in hospital and what I had at home for 4wks when I was recovering from my other knee. I said I would rather have what I knew had worked in the past and what was working in the hospital. It pays to take control. Now I am home and have my notebook made up with the times when I take the meds so that I can just check them off and not get confused.

So relieved to be home with ice,elevation, lunch eaten (not home cooked but served by hubby after purchase at grocery store but much better than hospital food) It is fabulous to have my own space around me. ALso so wonderful to look out the windows and see my trees outside. I live in the country and the living room has windows facing East, North and South with many trees around so I can see the trees, birds and squirrels romping on and off so it is very peaceful- just what is needed to heal - nature around one or at least for me.

Again, so thankful to have this site.
 
There is no place like home. It felt so good to be home, tried the bed for a while but having to get up every 3hrs it seemed like to go to the bathroom. Must be my high blood pressure pills finally hit. I switched to the recliner as it is much easier to get up from it and easier to get my leg elevated with the riser and then some pillows at this stage. Slept on and off -the usual stuff in between taking pain meds.

Went too late this AM for pain meds and paid the price with pain. Hubby slept in and seems to think I am doing so much better than last time that he really does not need to do anything much for me or keep track of time. I am less loopy since I am not taking the muscle relaxer I was on last time when I got the horrific quad cramp. Hubby keeps saying how great I am doing which is nice to hear but at that point I was laying there gritting my teeth since I was late on my pain meds. Still so happy to be on my own schedule and in my own space. I even ended up letting the pup out this AM since hubby was still asleep.

The 90# puppy has been pretty good - the walker helps to keep him from being right there. He did escort me on every bathroom visit and sniffed the back of my operated leg but otherwise being pretty good. Also helped that hubby finally understood that he has to work him some on the line for walking and sitting--and is doing it. I kept telling him I could not do it for months so did not want to start much before surgery. I did some work with him and it helped. I also tried to tell him that he is very sensitive to tone of voice when giving commands and his tones were mixed messages of play and command. He finally understands and is working on that so he is behaving better. Riley, the pup actually behaved quite well with me when I was more mobile - just rumbunctious but I knew he would know I had no control over him once I was injured and with a walker. I am thankful but it looks like we will be OK.

Continuing to do ankle pumps and did some gentle leg lifts and heel slides in the recliner but keeping up with the ice and elevation to try to get the swelling down more. I will worry about flexion later once I get this back under control. It has improved but I want it better. It was funny because the PT at the hospital kept telling me to keep my leg down some so I could work on flexion -- I just nodded knowing I would do what worked for me and elevate more than keep down.
 
Sounds like you are doing really well leeja. I do relate to your feelings of the delight in being home. Sounds like you customised your recovery space before you went in so that you had things all set up when you came back. I did the same except for bed, and it is so good to have your own comfy space with all you need and want around you. I am so lucky, that hubby was able to take a week off work to look after me, and apart from one or two expressions of frustration on his part, for which he has apologised, that has worked out really well. Can't believe what yours said about trading the driving, for the surgery, hard to believe that he could be serious!! But then some of the things that mine says when he is so inclined astonishes me too!
Love my recliner and huge cushion I have to get my legs right up. This is so comfortable and helps so much! I say a little thank you to my late mother in law for it!
Love the picture you paint of your sitting in your recliner looking out at the squirrels and trees through all your windows sounds just blissful and so peaceful. I live in the country too but not so rural as you, in a small market town, on the edge of the north York moors.. My chair is in my living room window, and our street is a dead end, so quiet, and it backs onto the grounds o :yay: f the local secondary (high) school. So I watch the kids going to and from school 4 times a day, and I like that..
Don't know about your hubby not having much to do for you. Getting your meals and snacks is something! And mine giving me a hand to stand up is a big help! We also have stairs in our house, I while I find it ok going up stairs, I still need supervision to come down, which is much more uncomfortable. Do hope he is able to have some time off to help you, or you will have some other support. Just managing that puppy of yours must be a handful!
Totally agree with you about this site, it, and everyone onit, is being a great help to me! :yay: :thankyou: take care :friends:
 
:goodpost: Lee,
Great to know you are home and working on getting comfortable. Hopefully you will soon have the pain under control.
Good plan sticking to gentle movements till your pain is controlled. Even when it is controlled do take it very easy and concentrate on letting your knee heal at the moment.
I am pleased that your puppy is manageable and I am sure he will bring you lots of joy and fun during your recovery. Enjoy your own space.
ditzy dinah you sound as though you are doing really well too.
Have a good day both of you.
Hugs Toothfairy x :dancy: :happydance: :puppysmooze:
 
Well, it is my first day at home alone. Hubby had to go back to work today. Decided to leave the puppy tied up outside (if we were both working this is were he is when we are not home so it is not something different for him). He is sweet but gets bored and chews and I cannot get up fast enough to see what he is doing or when I drift off on pain meds he might chew up more than I want to deal with. Also, waiting for phone call from PT to see when they come - no call yet and he might get over protected so do not want any issues. I do miss him in the house and his big brown eyes staring up at me. Once hubby is home, he will be in the house with us as usual. Maybe after a few weeks I can keep him in the house with me. Trying to take it easy and take my pills on time and ice and elevate.

Hubby was quite wonderful over the week end making meals in between working outside on his stuff. He does care and I know that but with my emotionalism right now everything seems to get to me and make me cry and feel sorry for myself.

I am anxious to meet the PT person since I could not have the same one that I had in January. She was awesome but on loan to this county from another and finally they must have staffed up and do not need her. I know what I want as far as PT- slow and easy and no pain and know I will speak up but still anxiety till I meet this person and establish the routine. I was supposed to get a call today to see when she is coming but so far nothing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom