TKR Lt. knee done and now so is the Right. Recovery here I come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you. He has been really good but now seems to be in a feeling sorry for himself - how much he has had to do. I do give him credit daily for how much he is doing to help him feel appreciated. It just gets hard when I have to also deal with my own feelings and pain and limitations. It helps to be able to put it in print and get it out of my head.
 
Leeja

No one understands how difficult this surgery is until they actually have it!!!
Bless you
MM
 
Well saw my OS PA yesterday. Doing well. Flexion is 110-115 and full extension. I am transitioning to Vicodin from Dilaudid and still using Ibuprofen and Tylenol regularly and trying to not use the Vicodin as much. So far so good. It was my biggest trip anywhere since surgery, got all dressed and make up and the OS office is about 1-1/2hrs away. My husband drove and after we went out for lunch and then home. I ended up taking some pills on the way home since the knee started twinging but other than being tired I did OK. Came home, changed and got my ice and went into my recliner with legs up.

I have decided not to do OP PT at this time. My in home PT has shown me a lot of exercises and explained how to increase resistance, also have my recumbent exercise bike at home that I have been using. In evaluating the PT from last time - I have chosen to continue on my own at home instead of going to PT. My OS said that if I felt later on I needed OP PT they would get me a script.

I can try driving as long as I am not medicated and if I feel my knee can use the brake. I think I will try in the drive way this week end and see if I will take a drive alone next week. I want my freedom but do not want to take any risks for others on the road if I cannot use the brake quickly enough or strongly enough. Luckily for work, my husband and I have always commuted together so I do not really have to worry about driving when tired after work.

Going back to work 10/28 for 3d/wk. Hoping for the best but have no choice. I plan on doing much more than work those days so hopefully it will be OK.

Really glad that I had this knee done also, can't wait to be able to go walking or do grocery shopping without pain. Followed the mantra and did not push either time and it really worked for me.
 
Last in home PT visit today. I was discharged from in home PT today. She left me with sheets of exercises and I have my bike. She measured my flexion one last time and it measured 122-124. Both of us were surprised because I was not really pushing to get there and there it was. Slow and easy really works especially with ice and elevation to keep the swelling down. She did a last muscle massage and showed me some things I can do myself at the tight spots where the muscles attach behind my knee and at the top of my calf behind the knee. I will miss her, she has been great and supportive and very knowledgeable as well as the massages which really helped so I could work on knee motion.

Will continue doing exercises on my own - also ordered some ankle weights that can be increased in 1/2lb increments to build up some strength but slowly.
 
Update: Doing well as far as I can tell. Switching to Vicodin has given me more memory and a more with it feeling which is good as I am returning to work in 1wk. Right now do not know how I am going to deal with that but it must be done. Get very tired after doing anything and at home I can just sit down and rest in recliner with ice. Doing stairs the normal way (new for me since I have been two stepping for years) holding on to the rail and still using the cane - up is much easier than down and actually did up with only holding the rail. Huge accomplishment with the stairs so each time I use them I try to do them the new way and build up more strength and get the brain to understand that it can be done.

Doing 15m on my recumbent bike and trying to take outside walks in between the rain we have been having. Also doing laundry regularly again and cooking most of the dinners. Also, my ankle weights came in and I used them yesterday for my exercises to start strengthening. I will have to cut down on the exercises once I return to work as I do not think I can manage that and work -well for a couple of weeks I can do them on my 2 days at home.

Big outing yesterday- my first grocery shopping in 5+wks. Timed it so my pain meds were on board about 30m prior to leaving. Hubby went with me as I knew I would not manage on my own. Made it through the store (it is not a huge grocery store but medium) and pushed the cart. Had to be a big shopping since hubby is not a shopper so has been just picking up a few things as needed. Husband kept taking the cart and checking it out in smaller amts so at the end it was not a long wait. I did not make it to check out but left him and went and sat in the car. Knees did not hurt (yay- first time in a really long time) but the right knee did feel more swollen and tight (I had ice waiting in the car to start icing right away) and the rest of me was beat and sweaty. Seems I start sweating like crazy especially the back of my head and neck when over exerting. Came home and slowly put groceries away and then to my recliner with more ice and a nice cup of tea. Sleep is still iffy - usually OK but last night was not - up about every 2hrs so finally gave up at 5am and thought I would spend some forum time while the morning is quiet with a cup of coffee and my every present support group.

I am so lucky to have had another good recovery with good flexion and extension. I am having a lot of tightness in calf and behind the knee - hamstrings are always my issue as they seemed to be the muscles that have tightened the most with the bad knees. Working on stretching them slowly but this will be uncomfortable for a while. Quads are doing well as is my scar. I am so thankful that it all went well and very happy that I have two arthritis pain free knees for the first time in 13yrs.

I keep trying to look forward to spring and able to garden easier again and take walks and go biking - we love to the some of the rails to trails and other trails and though I could bike OK - getting off and then the knees hurting was not fun. It is so nice to be able to come up the stairs at home and not have pain with each step. This knee has progressed easier than the last and I really believe that some of this was due to knowing and believing that it would work for me and also this knee was not quite as painful as the last one before I had it replaced.

Again, I am so lucky to have made it so far in these weeks. I really respect and feel for the other bone smarties who have more issues as they work through them and have so much more to go. They are my heroes for their persistence and good humor despite their knees not cooperating. I know they will get there too.
 
Well, first day back at work. Long day. Knee ached some but took my Tylenol and some VIcodin and of course iced. Exhausted by the time I got home- got in my recliner with more ice and luckily my hubby made dinner and I ate in my recliner (hot dogs and beans but it was so nice not to have to upright anymore). I am going to work Mon,Tues,Thur this week and next and then full time 5d/wk- that will be way too much fun but must be done - only that much time off. I am lucky that my husband drives me in and picks me up since he works nearby and it makes more sense to do it anyway.

I am looking forward to Wed and sleeping in and just resting some and doing my exercises slowly and riding my exercise bike but most of all, being able to elevate comfortably whenever I need.

All in all doing well and cannot really complain. I do wish I could have taken longer time off so I could do more strengthening and get my stamina built up some. For those that have the option - take it and it will be easier on you.
 
The end of my first week working full time and then some. I am exhausted. Luckily, went out to dinner (small places on way home) twice because was beat and had leftovers on Monday and simple dinners Tues and Thur. Have to plan something simple next week with left overs for at least one day. I get up at 5a- leave home by 6 and am back home by 6p. Luckily my husband does the driving so I can at least relax a little. By the time dinner is done and I sit down for a bit, I am crashing, falling asleep and going to bed. Sleep is still up and down and am up often through the night. I know it will pass but I wish it was now, in fact had one night where I slept through except for waking up once and it was wonderful.

If you have a choice, I would definitely recommend return to work more gradual than mine and to take more time off. It will make my fuller recovery slower. No energy to ride my bike or do any stretches or exercises. Try to do some on the week end in between some laundry and grocery shopping.

I know it will be fine in the long run but right now am tired.
 
Ohhh Leeja I hope it gets a whole lot easier for you real fast. Good luck. I'm dreading going back myself but hopefully it gets easier.
 
Leejaa...

Just read through your thread. So inspiring! There are so many things in it that I can relate to that it's amazing! My husband and I got into a HUGE fight when he brought me the "wrong" taco from Taco Bell one day!! He says he isn't going there when I have my second knee done in December :-)

Returning to work was hard for me too. A fire drill and eight flights of stairs to get out of the building right after I went back just destroyed me. So I get it! Wishing you the best and looking forward to reading more of your posts.

Take care,
Elaine
 
Elaine, thank you. I will keep an eye for you after your second knee. Those darn emotions are hard to deal with.You poor thing having to do 8 flights of stairs.
 
Oh, lee I don't think I realized what you were going through RIGHT NOW as I moaned to you! I am so sorry. I guess I assumed you TKR was long behind you. Just read some of your threads. I don't know how you are working full time. What kind of work do you do and when was your TKR? Sorry to be so out of it!
Thank you for always being so kind and generous to all of us


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
No problem, it helps to help others and offer what I have learned.This forum was my life saver with the first knee when everything was new and overwhelming. It also gave me a community to share with for the first knee and even more so for the second. I was home alone most of the day except for PT a few times/wk but being connected to others on this forum made me fell less alone. I received so much support here directly and also by reading others stories.

My last knee (right knee) replacement was Sept 11,2013 and my first (lt knee) was Jan.29,2013. My job is supporting a computer system applications so I can sit and walk as needed which is a huge help as is my husband driving me back and forth since we have always commuted together. The leg gets tired though and the rest of me is still not up to snuff with stamina and sleep is still not constant so it all adds up. I do know it will get better so am not too discouraged. Also, keep thinking of springtime and being able to bike easily again and do some gardening. I am glad it is fall/winter since it is a slower time of year for outdoor activities.
 
You are certainly someone I look up to! Thank you for everything.
 
Hi Lee ... I am sorry it has taken so long for me to visit you and read your story. It is truly inspirational. You have done so well and seem to have such a strong belief in the way you are doing it. I feel quite horrible now for always whinging on my posts. One day I hope to have the flexion you have instead of none.

It sounds like you live in a beautiful place. I live in suburbia, but am very lucky that all the living areas face the back which is over the road from a local reserve. When I stand at my bedroom window I can see our pool area and beyond that the trees and bushes of the reserve across the road. Even lying in bed I can see the big trees and the palms around the pool area. There are always birds calling and singing, especially first thing in the morning and I love this. To be able to see all the birds and squirrels playing must be really uplifting.

I am so glad you are recovering from both replacements reasonably well, with just a few "hiccups". You certainly sound like someone who deserves to have it happen like that.

Thank you for sharing so much of yourself with the forum.

I do hope that work gets easier and easier for you as time goes on. I am due to go back on 2 December, but as it requires sitting most of the day (secretarial), am thinking of putting it off to after Christmas. I have enough leave to do this.

Keep recovering the way you are Lee and as always, take care.

Hugs ... Ellen
 
Ellen, your place sounds lovely with the reserve near by. Like you I find the closeness of nature soothing and relaxing.

Today appears it is going to be a gray,windy and rainy day but at least I can still see the trees. I have been up since about 330am - watched some television, dozed a little but no real deep sleep-darn it all. Maybe with the grayness I will fall asleep and nap later.

If you can, take the extra time off for yourself and your knee - it will be easier and better for you in the long run. Your flexion will come.

I believe in the bone smart mantra because of reading so many stories here. My instructions from the hospital booklet was much more intense activities but this made sense and reading the stories I saw that it worked for so many people here who were actually going through it and succeeding.

Right now I am managing work but extremely tired and still have issues sleeping well at night. Your turn will come, it is just that our knees have a mind of their own. Believe me, I am extremely whiny at the end of the day and tired of putting up a good front for everyone at work as well as short tempered because it seems once they see you at work it is like you were never gone and are supposed to be back at full status of activity and ability. Have had some problems just getting my mind to click quickly as needed and get organized.

Have a lovely day. Continue to write here good and bad feelings as it really helps to get it out, we all have them. Lee
 
Hi Lee ... Thought I would give you a visit. I hope things are going well for you and you are slowly overcoming the tiredness working is causing. Also hope you are sleeping better at night. :sleep: I must admit my sleep is not too bad. I do wake up every 90 or so minutes and need to go to the toilet but can get back to sleep until the next trip. I do drink a lot of water during the day and pay for it at night. :heehee:

You seem to have been a bit quiet for a few days, so hope everything is okay and the tiredness is not knocking you around too much.

Take Care Lee ... and have a beautiful day ... :flwrysmile:
 
Hi lee
Just read your thread..had not seen it before. I know NY finger lakes well. It must be frigid right now!
After living up in the northeast for 51 years, I just moved to Florida 3 .5 yrs ago...health issues...survival...!

I just went back to work this week after my first TKR six weeks ago.
My right knee grinds so badly... I'm headed in for that second surgery in 2.5 weeks now.

Thanks for sharing about opting out of op PT, using bike and weights...I have made the exact same choice! Plus my dr encouraged me to do so when he saw my progress..
sounds like a lot is similar between us

Please keep writing!




Happy healing!
Kathy

Left TKR Oct 15, 2013
Right TKR Scheduled for Dec 17, 2013

Background:
Diagnosed bilateral bone on bone and OA knees Oct, 2012
Implanted intrathecal pain pump. 2008
4-6 additional herniated disks (lumbar and thoracic), 2004-now
Replacement damaged neck disks (c3-c5) 2004
 
Kathy, thank you for stopping by. You will be so thankful to have two good knees. I will look for your new postings as to how you are doing after the surgery and before.

GeekGoddess, Surprisingly, it was by pure luck that I noticed your post on my thread - did not get an alert. How was your return to work on your left knee?

I am doing well with knee pain - maybe take 1 Vicodin 5mg per day - either first thing in AM or before bed and just Tylenol during the day. Knee is good but still fighting the tiredness. Probably does not help that I am working 9hr days and there are multiple projects all crashing together so the stress level is up. I have developed again groin pain on my left side which I had before surgery which appears to be the iliopsoas muscle - seems sitting at work at the desk and especially leaning forward seems to aggravate it a lot so trying to get up regularly and stretch as well as leaning back at the desk (not my natural position). Thinking of seeing a chiropractor to see if they could do something since it originates high in the back. This was present before my rt. TKR and completely gone when I was home but the minute I started working it is back. Also painful at times to walk as it tightens and especially up the stairs as it is related to hip flexion. The most frustrating thing with being back at work is having no energy or time for any exercises - I get home around 6p and by the time we have some dinner though I am not even cooking every night and take a breath I am beat and usually in bed by 830p. I do not think the early darkness with this season helps either. I have always been a light sensitive person and in winter tend to hibernate.

We are having a quiet thanksgiving dinner since I worked yesterday and have to be back at work tomorrow at 7a. Yes, it is freezing up here the last few days and about 14 degrres this AM. Are your children coming over or are you going to them or friends?. All in all am extremely thankful I have come through the two surgeries this year well and without major complications. You have undergone so much with other medical issues that it is inspiring how you approach this and your upcoming surgery but then you know that doing nothing will not result in less pain. I wish you the best for Thanksgiving and the coming surgery. Take care and have a wonderful day. Lee
 
leejaa I'm glad you are doing so well even with the complications of dealing with the work situation. I hope that gets better for you. I am going back soon and am worried. From what I read on the forum your energy may take a month or more to come back. Please rest as much as possible and keep us posted. Have a wonderful holiday. :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Lee ... Just thought I would drop in and see how you are going. Haven't seen much from you lately, so hope everything is okay. How is work going? Is your tiredness coming under control? I hope so.

Are you busy getting ready for the Festive Season? I actually went to a work get together in a local park the other day. Not an entire work thing, just the section that I work in. It was very nice. I sat on a bench seat and supervised the cricket and petanque and horsehoes and Frisbee throwing. There was a beautiful breeze in the park and it was so pleasant.

Take care Lee and once again, I hope everything is going well for you.

Ellen xoxo
:huggy santa:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom