TKR Lovetoread's Recovery Thread---She is home already!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Travlingirl, I hear you! Pretty soon it will be pants weather (hopefully!). I do wear tights a lot under pants when the weather is cooler and that should be fine. Unfortunately it will probably about 6-8 weeks before that happens. I have only about 5 skirts and two sundresses, and that's going to get really old. The tissue idea sounds like something I have to try next week!
 
I also have a few " travelers" outfits from Chicos that I thought might be soft and light enough pants to wear, but haven't tried them yet.
 
PS lovestoread.... I'm in Northern Arizona where we do get all 4 seasons, including snow, though it is still kinder and gentler than where we used to live in Lake County, IL.
 
I guess I didn't realize how difficult it would be to wear a skirt. My surgery was the end of May, 2011, and all I wore were shorts. The first time I wore a skirt (no slip or pantyhose) was to church about 6 weeks later. I'm glad to know this because if I ever need the other one done, I think I'll opt (if I have the option) for May or June. I can't imagine trying to wear even sweat pants or knitted pants (let alone jeans!) after a TKR.
abby :puppysmooze: :kittykiss: :kittykiss:
 
Try applying a length of GladWrap or ordinary cling film over the area and use surgical tape round the edges to keep it in place.
 
Amberpep...I hear you...I tried one skirt that hit right at the knee and that was a problem too...I'm doing best with my shorter t-shirt dresses that come just a little above the knee. I may be doing my other knee in November and I'm already getting concerned about what I will wear, after wearing shorts most of the way through this knee. Guess I'll be living in my soft cotton leggings through recovery. It makes me cringe to think about my jeans!
Josephine...I will be trying the glad wrap technique as well. Does it get warm under the wrap?
 
Josephine, I have the same question as Travlingirl. Does it got hot and sweaty under the plastic wrap? Sounds like a great idea!
 
I also have a few " travelers" outfits from Chicos that I thought might be soft and light enough pants to wear, but haven't tried them yet.

I have some of those too. I actually thought about them last night. I have a pair of capris made of that fabric, so I might try them. When I go to therapy I wear Capri length exercise pants and I often have to pull them up over my knee when I'm on the bike or something. They're kind of similar to the Chico's pants, but not quite as soft.
 
That's a thought! See, I knew the people here could help me out! Have you had any problems with this or are wearing shorts? I just can't wear them to work. :(
 
No, I have not worn shorts for years. I wear capris in warm weather and long slacks in winter of course. The rubbing does not bother me much. Once in a while I feel a stab and pull my pants leg up and rub the incision site. I walked around in Target today for twenty minutes, went and got my hair styled and then shopped at a food store for fifteen minutes. I was hurting quite a bit so went home and iced. I am officially off narcotics for pain. I am taking extra strength Tylenol and am paying attention to not taking more than 3, 000 mgs. per day. So far, so good. I am sweating a lot so I think that may be a side effect of stopping the Percocet.
I hope one of the solutions offered helps you with your problem and that you have a great holiday. With my husband laid up with his leg I guess we will be hanging around here this weekend.
 
I'm wearing shorts most of the time, but I don't have to go to work (lucky me!) I have worn a pair of cargo pants capris a couple of times, but that was before I quit wearing my TEDs, so I may have the same problem, just don't know it yet.

I joined the bad back club on Wednesday - got up in the morning with it - have no idea why. It got worse Wednesday. I used the TENS unit and slept with a thermawrap. By Thursday evening it was better, and on Friday almost completely gone. It made me miss therapy on Thursday and skip therapy at home for two days. My knee got a little stiff, and when I went walking around Walmart, and then Sam's, it let me know it was there. I spent all last evening (after my home PT) iced and elevated, and when I went to bed, my knee was the least swollen it has been since surgery!
 
Sorry to hear about your back...mine was way worse than my knee. My therapy order was written to include my back this time, so I'm getting both knee and back rehab. It is doing better. The first week of school there was a lot of sitting, and that makes it so much worse. There were a couple of times I was near tears. Funny, my knees were feeling great, but my back was killing me. I did get a TENSunit and have used it quite a bit. That and my hearing pad are my good friends. This past week I was on my feet more and walking at work. That coupled with the therapy are doing the trick.

I know what you mean about having to skip therapy and then our knee gets so stiff. I caught a stomach bug at school that lasted for several days. Last weekend I just laid around. Made a half-hearted attempt at a few exercises, but by Sunday my knees were so stiff I thought I'd have to start all over with rehab. Fortunately, when I went to therapy Monday my flexion was 120, so I was pleased as punch. It took a few days to start feeling less stiff though. I didn't notice any swelling like you....keep that ice on it!

Had my post-op with Dr. Berger Thursday morning. They were pleased with my 120 degrees ( said my 3 extension was ok and not to worry). I don't have to go back for a year!! Still have a couple of weeks of therapy, three times a week. Hope to get back to the gym after that and get my life back to normal!
 
Ok, here's an odd thing that has been happening to my left knee, almost from the get-go. I won't say it's painful, rather "uncomfortable" might be the word I'm looking for. When I sit, I feel a "pop" just a few inches above my knee. You can feel it if you put your hand there on the outside, too. Crazy thing is that it doesn't happen all of the time. It will bother me for a few days, then disappear for a week or two. Then come back for a few days, stop, etc. During my therapy for that knee, the therapist wondered if it might be something to do with scar tissue. She had never seen it before. Of course it wasn't happening when I went for my post-op appt, so I didn't even think to ask about it. It's happening again these last few days. Like I said, it doesn't "hurt" just feels very strange. Anybody know what I'm talking about??? I have never had it on my right knee which was done six weeks after the left knee.
 
I just had to come here and post because I'm so darned excited! For 20 years I walked 5 miles a day for exercise…hardly missed a day. (Makes me wonder if that caused problems with my knees??) Eventually I could walk those 5 miles in 67 minutes, which is a pretty good pace. As I was getting older and my knees started giving me fits, my pace eventually slowed to 4 miles per hour. As of 5 years ago, I was hardly walking at all. I'm six months out from my second knee being done and although I'm on my feet all day at work (a middle school) I haven't really been "walking." I've tried my treadmill a little the last few weeks, but today at the gym I walked the track and did two miles in 30 minutes and 16 seconds! That's back to my 4 mph pace!! I didn't want to push it yet and go longer, but I was totally pain free! No doubt my leg muscles will not be happy with me tomorrow, but I just can't stop grinning! I truly am getting my life back! It really was worth it!
 
From another teacher, same age as you, LTKR about the same time: That's WONDERFUL!!! Yay for you! Congratulations, keep up the good work, and thanks for being an inspiration! I've been treadmill walking too; not up to your tempo, but getting better all the time! Won't it be nice to walk outdoors when winter FINALLY ends? Thanks for sharing your success story!
 
Oh, to walk outdoors! Years ago, I would run into people and they would say, "Aren't you that lady who walks?" I had several 4-5 mile routes through my neighborhood and never thought people noticed me. Once the knees went bad, I stopped. Really looking forward to being "that lady who walks" again!
 
You may need to change your title to "lovestowalk":). Way to go....I'm thrilled to hear that you are doing so well! Just noticed it's been seven months today since my surgery and I too am doing well. I can walk a couple of miles now also, but still feel it at night afterwards. However, I'm working out 5 days per week now at the gym and in the pool. I recently started working with an awesome personal trainer recommended by my PT who is really helping me to move on to the next level. ( This is not Jillian Michaels!) She is putting a lot of emphasis on strengthening from the feet (base) on up. I just got back from a trade show where I had to be on my feet all day. I know I would have been in SOOO much pain last year. You are so right about it being a good decision. Nice to hear from you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom